Dec 16, 2019 03:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which of zuko's hairstyles did you like more?
When he got banished - he only had that ponytail (Don't know what it's called) - 76 (25.2%)
When he got banished - he only had that ponytail (Don't know what it's called) - 23 (7.6%)
His new hairstyle. XD - 203 (67.2%)
Total Voters: 255

Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zuko's hair style  (Read 38441 times)
Quadgurl
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Zutarian queen at your service-o

« on: Jul 25, 2006 08:16 pm »

Okay, I've been talking to a lot of people and a lot of them like the way his hair used to be, but some others like his new hair style. Also, a few people like his full head of hair ponytail style style. What do you think? I know it's not much of a subject, it may seem, but it's really stirring around in my head and I just need to get it on paper... or... on the computer... yah

Sokaang + Zutara = My Avatar ships Grin
Join the zutarian-empire today! http://zutarian-empire.deviantart.com
ahmadz2
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The Rasengan

ahmadpittman@hotmail.com ahmadz2 dbzahmablue
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25, 2006 08:31 pm »

When he was younger before the duel with his father

Karalora
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Jul 25, 2006 10:41 pm »

I've noticed that Zuko's hairstyle is like a visual expression of his character development. When he was young and cocksure about his place in the world, it was long all over. When he got banished (at least I assume that's when this happened), he shaved all but one tightly bound lock, just as he cut off all his activities except intensive training and Avatar-hunting. In "The Avatar State," he hit rock bottom in terms of self-worth and status and lopped off the topknot to match. Now his hair is growing out again but is still short and shaggy--he's gaining his sense of purpose back, if slowly and without much direction.

The full head with topknot is probably a gimme as far as the most attractive style overall. But I also love the implied cultural significance, as well as the novelty in character design, of the shaved head with topknot. It reminds me of the Crown Prince of Egypt look. The short 'do doesn't do anything for me, but I do enjoy watching the animators' attention to detail as it grows out, bit by bit.

Why yes, as a matter of fact, I do write fanfiction.
peppertree
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Orange-kun

akatsuki.evil@hotmail.com
« Reply #3 on: Jul 25, 2006 11:10 pm »

I like the hairstyle with the full head plus ponytail. The ponytail is not a topknot, it's called a queue or something.

Whoever made my icons is creative & brilliant.
Jeremiah Gottwald got baked by Kallen... Baked orange...

Visit my Deviantart!! link
Elemental Harmony
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The Avatar maintains balance

« Reply #4 on: Jul 25, 2006 11:22 pm »

I've noticed that Zuko's hairstyle is like a visual expression of his character development. When he was young and cocksure about his place in the world, it was long all over. When he got banished (at least I assume that's when this happened), he shaved all but one tightly bound lock, just as he cut off all his activities except intensive training and Avatar-hunting. In "The Avatar State," he hit rock bottom in terms of self-worth and status and lopped off the topknot to match. Now his hair is growing out again but is still short and shaggy--he's gaining his sense of purpose back, if slowly and without much direction.

The full head with topknot is probably a gimme as far as the most attractive style overall. But I also love the implied cultural significance, as well as the novelty in character design, of the shaved head with topknot. It reminds me of the Crown Prince of Egypt look. The short 'do doesn't do anything for me, but I do enjoy watching the animators' attention to detail as it grows out, bit by bit.

*applauds* That was a beautiful explaination, Karalora.

I like his hair the way it is now, purely for the symbolic implications (including those just mentioned above). This is the sadder but wiser Zuko, the boy who has a better understanding of the ways of the world, and is slowly discovering his place in it.

But I'll admit that I wouldn't mind seeing Zuko a few years from now with the full ponytail, as I expect grown-up Zuko with a full head of long, shiney hair to be extra-specially delicious. But, you know, that's the fangirl coming out.  Wink

Avi by Diet Otaku = So. Much. Love.

I have gone to find myself. If I show up while I'm gone, keep me here until I get back.

366 Ripples: An activist movement in the making.
http://366ripples.blogspot.com
Sonri7
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Speak, even when your voice shakes

« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2006 11:41 pm »

Personally, I like his hair the way it is now. It looks comfortable and relaxed, and is probably less of a hassle. I know for girls a ponytail is pretty low-maintenence, but I don't think most guys like to mess with their hair. My brother won't even brush his Tongue

Now, I read in "The Avatar State" article in Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Avatar_State) that Zuko and Iroh cutting off their top knots signified that they forsook their homeland (a Japanese custom), but this person didn't cite a source, so although that makes sense for Zuko's case, I'm not sure if that's actually true. In the movie The Last Samurai, when one of the samurai gets his top knot forcefully cut off it is a great disgrace because the top  knot represented his loyalty to the old samurai ways. Again, this would work in Zuko's situation, and is probably true in Avatar world, but whether it's true in reality, I don't know. I could be the only person who cares  Roll Eyes .

I've also always wondered why Zuko started shaving his head. To my knowlege, that sort of hairstyle looks more like ancient Egyptian than Chinese. The writers could have gotten the idea for Zuko's ponytail from the Thai style of top knot. I found this webpage about the Thai top knot cutting ceremony (http://www.thailandlife.com/topknot.html).

I think I might do some more research at the library (*inner nerd smiles and waves*). This subject is actually quite interesting to me Cheesy

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can touch the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginningless time, darkness thrives in the void, but always yields to purifying light."
Elemental Harmony
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Jul 25, 2006 11:55 pm »

When I read The Good Earth (which takes place in China right around the time Europeans started traipsing about, pre-communism, yada yada), I remember it mentioning that back in the day the traditional way for men to wear their hair was a very long braid, with all the hair around it shaved off. That particular 'do seems to be more time-specific than place-specific.

I have gone to find myself. If I show up while I'm gone, keep me here until I get back.

Sonri7
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Jul 26, 2006 12:04 am »

That particular 'do seems to be more time-specific than place-specific.

That makes sense. So why then why is Zuko the only one with the shaved ponytail 'do? There has to be a reason other than it made him look creepy in the beginning when he was supposed to be baaaad baaad Zuko going after poor Aangy-poo.

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can touch the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginningless time, darkness thrives in the void, but always yields to purifying light."
Elemental Harmony
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Jul 26, 2006 12:42 am »

It may simply have been  that that style is more severe, if that makes sense. Perhaps that's a more conservative hair style, and that's why he changed it when he was cast out?

Kit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Artificial Firebender

« Reply #9 on: Jul 26, 2006 12:56 am »

Now, I read in "The Avatar State" article in Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Avatar_State) that Zuko and Iroh cutting off their top knots signified that they forsook their homeland (a Japanese custom), but this person didn't cite a source, so although that makes sense for Zuko's case, I'm not sure if that's actually true. In the movie The Last Samurai, when one of the samurai gets his top knot forcefully cut off it is a great disgrace because the top  knot represented his loyalty to the old samurai ways. Again, this would work in Zuko's situation, and is probably true in Avatar world, but whether it's true in reality, I don't know. I could be the only person who cares  Roll Eyes .

This reminds me of another example:
In Princess Mononoke, when Prince Ashitaka leaves his homeland, he severs his own topknot with a knife.  Right before he exits, the community elderwoman also tells him that he is dead to the community. 

This topis also makes me wonder...do the animators intend to just leave Zuko's current hair as it is, or can we expect to see him with a longer mop of hair on his head?  I like the new look.  Very clean and casual with a bit of scruffiness. 

"Fire is a killer,
but sometimes what's left behind
can grow better than the generation before
if given the chance
."
Sonri7
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Jul 26, 2006 01:09 am »

Very clean and casual with a bit of scruffiness. 

mmm... scruffy.

If his hair got too much longer then he would become a fire hippie. Can you picture Zuko as a hippie? *SECRET TUNNEL!* hehee!

AzN_dT_StrEeT
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

victhedude07@hotmail.com AznDownTheStreet
« Reply #11 on: Jul 26, 2006 03:20 am »

I liked the way his hair was when he was younger, nice full set of hair with the pony tail thingy. But his new shorter hair is pretty cool too. However I hated his hair earlier in the series when all he had was that pony tail thing... ummm yeah grossness X10...
Ashes
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

redstar312@hotmail.com pnksqrrl318 pnksqrrl315
« Reply #12 on: Jul 26, 2006 03:32 am »

I like him better with his new hairstyle .. it makes him more normal... he also doesn't look that bad with a head full of hair...lol

storm-of-insanity
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

THE Iroh and Zuko fan

« Reply #13 on: Jul 26, 2006 04:55 am »

Personally I like his new stlye better because it looks more rebellious and scruffy. I honestly can't see him in a topnot during the second season. It would be really impractical too. I mean his clothes are threadbare and have holes in and his hat even has a hole in. But his shaved head and topnot is a lot easier to draw.

Am I the only person who finds this wierd but Zuko's hair changes colour in the season. In the first season and his past it was black and he's got black eyebrows but now it's BROWN and he has brown eyebrows. You could say that he's dyed his hair but who dyes there eyebrows?!?!?!?!

Proud to be a friendship junkie!
Cabbagelord
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Jul 26, 2006 07:58 am »

regarding zuko's shaved head phase, it's worth noting that in some cultures, a shaved head is a sign of humility, or even humiliation (watch the 7 samurai for an example)

remember, when we first meet Zuko he's already an exile and in disgrace. from his 'royal' perspective, the shaved head is his own symbol of shame regarding his status, in addition to Ozai's brand (sorry, ever since 'the storm', it doesn't deserve to be called a scar), which imo, Zuko regards as a different source of shame. he only kept the queue to mark his true station (and the hope that one day, he would go home)

once declared an outlaw, Zuko has no real reason to stay bald, and lets it grow out (besides, all the wanted posters say to look out for a bald kid with a burned face)

"We are the Sons and Daughters of Cabbage, the Superior Produce!"
Karalora
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #15 on: Jul 26, 2006 08:21 am »

I like the hairstyle with the full head plus ponytail. The ponytail is not a topknot, it's called a queue or something.

It's definitely not a queue, which is a braid. I'm pretty sure a topknot is any style where the hair is tied off at the crown of the head.

Am I the only person who finds this wierd but Zuko's hair changes colour in the season. In the first season and his past it was black and he's got black eyebrows but now it's BROWN and he has brown eyebrows. You could say that he's dyed his hair but who dyes there eyebrows?!?!?!?!

It still reads as black to me, but definitely not the jet-black of the first season. Maybe it's supposed to be perpetually dirty (yuck!) or sun-bleached since he now lives outdoors 24-7.

Sonri7
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Jul 26, 2006 10:42 am »

No, I don't think Zuko is dyeing his hair. I say it's a mixture of sun damage and his last haircut. I doubt that Zuko has any experience as a hairstylist, and even if he did, I'm sure it's hard to get a smooth cut with a dagger. That could be the cause of his hair's loss of shinyness. And then there's the stress factor. Prolonged periods of high stress can give you gray hairs, that could be a factor as well.

Karalora
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #17 on: Jul 26, 2006 10:48 am »

While we're on the subject of bad haircuts: am I the only one who thinks Iroh's need for a trim has reached a state of emergency by this point?

Krahe
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Full of bees.

Casket0seduction
« Reply #18 on: Jul 26, 2006 01:34 pm »

^ Lol, that's true.

I like Zuko's look now.  It's a nice change from the look in season one; it seems to make his features softer.  And I like the scruffiness, as well as the symbolism that Karalora stated.  Also, I think Zuko's hair could still be called black, it's just not the jet black of his pre-fugitive days.  This might have something to do with the conditions Zuko's living in now, as well as the fact that he can't care for it everyday.

regarding zuko's shaved head phase, it's worth noting that in some cultures, a shaved head is a sign of humility, or even humiliation (watch the 7 samurai for an example)

remember, when we first meet Zuko he's already an exile and in disgrace. from his 'royal' perspective, the shaved head is his own symbol of shame regarding his status, in addition to Ozai's brand (sorry, ever since 'the storm', it doesn't deserve to be called a scar), which imo, Zuko regards as a different source of shame. he only kept the queue to mark his true station (and the hope that one day, he would go home)

once declared an outlaw, Zuko has no real reason to stay bald, and lets it grow out (besides, all the wanted posters say to look out for a bald kid with a burned face)

That's a good point regarding Zuko's saved head.  I always figured that it had more to do with how much of his hair had to be removed to treat his burn.  I imagine that at least all the hair on the left side of his head had to be removed to treat the entire burn, so, if that was the case, it would make sense to just shave off the other side and leave his ponytail (for lack of a better word).  And, seeing how strange it would look to let the hair regrow, Zuko just kept shaving his head.  But I like your theory better. Wink

Poisoned and hopeless.  Sleeping beauty.

Keeper of Zuko's bare, sweaty torso.
Sonri7
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #19 on: Jul 26, 2006 03:35 pm »

While we're on the subject of bad haircuts: am I the only one who thinks Iroh's need for a trim has reached a state of emergency by this point?

See, after Iroh's last trip into the Spirit World, he accidently absorbed Dumbledore's ghost. *spooky voice* ~~~wooooo~~~

omgasp
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

av by alpha

« Reply #20 on: Jul 26, 2006 03:41 pm »

I like Zuko's hair too now. And I'd like to see it grown out but left down like Harus! But scruffier. I once saw a picture on deviantart portraying Zuko like that--it was tres cool.

As for the brown and black thing, my hair is dark brown but looks light brown or black sometimes depending on the lightning.

ibec
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Jul 26, 2006 05:25 pm »

I hope it is ok to post this...  Huh sorry... Tongue
Here are some pics on the subject

(images provided by lychii)
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2006 05:28 pm by ibec » Logged

Keeper of Zuko entire Wardrobe, Aang flute, FN War Balloon, Zuko Laughter Cheesy
Cabbagelord
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #22 on: Jul 26, 2006 05:58 pm »

so, if he and iroh don't visit a barber in ba tsing tse, you're saying zuko will eventually look like bruce lee? sweet

"We are the Sons and Daughters of Cabbage, the Superior Produce!"
Elemental Harmony
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #23 on: Jul 26, 2006 08:47 pm »

I like it, I like it.

It definitely softens him, which I think speaks to his mental-emotional state at this point. He's getting a little less self-centered/angst-ridden every day, and I like that his outward appearance is reflecting that.

PaleBlueBlind
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

by Pepper! Thanks, it's beautiful!!

KissTheGurl95
« Reply #24 on: Jul 26, 2006 08:52 pm »

I like the new hair style and I'd say more about it but everyone seems to have summed up my feelings! Cheesy

By Elemental Harmony
Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: