Oct 20, 2019 03:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate this episode:
10 - 737 (79.7%)
9 - 123 (13.3%)
8 - 49 (5.3%)
7 - 9 (1%)
6 - 5 (0.5%)
5 - 0 (0%)
4 - 0 (0%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 2 (0.2%)
Total Voters: 898

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [310 & 311] The Invasion & The Eclipse  (Read 93546 times)
alexandraxcan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #950 on: Aug 09, 2009 12:29 am »

As much as I loved Zuko standing up for himself, and Azula's classic "I should tell you, I'm rolling my eyes." I absolutely HATED the unrealistic aspect of these two episodes. I mean, not ONE death!? The guy in the vines had a bomb thrown in him for god's sake!

I'm not looking for gore or anything, and I know it's a kid's show, but the unrealistic aspect made me cringe.
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #951 on: Aug 11, 2009 09:26 am »

I read that an eclipse like that won't happen in another 130 years or so. Kinda sucks for the rest of the world though. I read the solar eclipse was only visible in East Asia and South East Asia.
No problem, total solar eclipses are not that uncommon (there's one every few years), you just have to travel the world a bit to see them. Smiley Next one's on July 11, 2010 in southern Chile and Argentina and southeastern Polynesia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_solar_eclipses

They probably meant that it won't happen in another 130 years or so in that same spot, or for such long time (as this was the longest total eclipse of the 21th century - by 16 seconds).

I saw one here in 1999, and there's another one coming in 2090! Yay! Tongue (Should consider going abroad...)

Ratzenheich
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #952 on: Aug 11, 2009 08:44 pm »

I read that an eclipse like that won't happen in another 130 years or so. Kinda sucks for the rest of the world though. I read the solar eclipse was only visible in East Asia and South East Asia.
No problem, total solar eclipses are not that uncommon (there's one every few years), you just have to travel the world a bit to see them. Smiley Next one's on July 11, 2010 in southern Chile and Argentina and southeastern Polynesia.

They probably meant that it won't happen in another 130 years or so in that same spot, or for such long time (as this was the longest total eclipse of the 21th century - by 16 seconds).

I saw one here in 1999, and there's another one coming in 2090! Yay! Tongue (Should consider going abroad...)

You're forgetting the fact that this one lasted over 10 minutes and was visible as a total solar eclipse for a relatively large portion of the globe. But yeah, regardless of the length, a total solar eclipse is a total solar eclipse.

NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #953 on: Aug 12, 2009 05:36 am »

^ I'm sorry, but I don't believe you. According to the site I gave you yesterday "The longest total solar eclipse in 21st century took place in July 22nd, 2009. It had a maximum duration of 6m39s. The longest possible duration of a total solar eclipse is 7m32s."
And according to this one, it was only visible as a total eclipse within a really small corrodor across the globe, like all solar eclipses.

And if you don't believe Wikipedia, the site of the NASA says the same thing.
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/20jul_longestsolareclipse.htm

Total solar eclipses on earth cannot last longer than 7.5 minutes, which is one of the reasons people were complaining about the one in Avatar being unrealistic. Those "8 minutes" Sokka mentioned in The Painted Lady were either rounded off upwards or something from another universe. Given the apparent absence of clocks, I'm surprized he even knows what minutes are, so I'm willing to go with rounded up. Though the show never explains how he knew how long the eclipse would last in the first place.

Bloodbender_of_Darkness
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Baby, I've gone head over heels <3

« Reply #954 on: Sep 06, 2009 10:49 pm »

I have to say, this is on my top 5 fav list (not counting the finale, cause that beats all)  Smiley

There are so many awesome things in these eps.

1~ The (first real) Kataang kiss!! I was so happy! And notice she doesn't pull away from him? He didn't get that that means she likes him too?! I don't get it....Anyway, that was too good for words. Katara's shocked/embarrassed face and Aang's determined face as he flies off says it all.
2~ Zuko finally makes the right decision! And he redirects lightning for the first time! Bet his father wasn't expecting that.
3~ Sokka's lines. All of them. I love it when any character (Aang and Sokka especially) are threatening or upset. And this line made me squee with pure fangirlness: "Where...is...Suki?!" You go Sokka. Protect your girlfriend and kill intimidate Azula.
4~ Aang at the end. His tears of Aangst, his speech, his voice (makes me melt every time: So...HOT. *drools*) And the Kataang at the end. Katara comforting him, giving him strength. Really sweet. (Why didn't I list this first?  Roll Eyes)

Those are my highlights. Only things I didn't like: You don't get to see much of Hakoda, even at the beginning. And Katara didn't do much except get them there. That's pretty important, but I kinda wanted to see her fight.

My overall score: 10/10 One of the best.

Also, did anyone notice that Aang's eye keep changing color? They were grey in the The Invasion

and then deep brown in The Eclipse,

and then later a light brown.

They do that a lot throughout the whole series....I just thought I'd mention it.
[I got all the images off of the Avatarspirit screencaps database]
((Maybe when he's under stress/pain/aangst his eyes turn brown? idk))

Edit: About the Kataang kiss--I think Katara looked away because she was shocked/unsure or pleased/embarrassed. I think she wasn't sure if it was the right time, because Aang might not come back. And if he did, it would be awkward. (He did, and it was.) I think her reasoning is: a relationship would get in the way of our goal--ending the war. You can see this in EIP too.

^Of course, that's just my way of looking at it.  Smiley

« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2009 11:48 pm by Bloodbender_of_Darkness » Logged

My fanfic "Sea Change"

"I'll push through this moment, I'll never give up..."
Sig by Zutara_Rabid_Fangirl (Thanx!), Avatar pic by RM
aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #955 on: Sep 18, 2009 06:16 pm »

They keep changing color because the lighting is different.

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
christina896
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #956 on: Sep 24, 2009 10:59 pm »

My favorite episodes. Period. The Zuko/Ozai confrontation is my favorite scene(s) in the entire series. Mike, Bryan, every writer, castmember, animator, and everyone who is even remotely associated to anyone that appears in the credits for this amazing show, I applaud you. Smiley
HyperInSugar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #957 on: Sep 28, 2009 05:29 pm »

Honestly, I felt sorry for both Azula and Ozai during the two episodes
Lonesome_beast
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #958 on: Oct 03, 2009 05:55 pm »

LMAOO 2090, you gonna wait that long !!!

Keeper of Mai's rare Happiness when with Zuko, Keeper of Momo's Purr, Keeper of The Red Dragon's Whiskers, Keeper of Zuko's desire for Mai's emotions;
www.animalsaviors.org [petition plz sign]
Lonesome_beast
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #959 on: Oct 03, 2009 06:00 pm »

Ok THIS EPISODE WAS LIKE ONE OF MY TOP FAVS, The best scene has to be when Zuko confronts his father,, I even memorized everythng he says to him O.O

The redirection of lightening to his father was classic, ii really pity Ozai, Shooting lightening at his own son, He deserved what he got in the end Smiley

Zuko rulsz Smiley

Keeper of Mai's rare Happiness when with Zuko, Keeper of Momo's Purr, Keeper of The Red Dragon's Whiskers, Keeper of Zuko's desire for Mai's emotions;
www.animalsaviors.org [petition plz sign]
Rhel
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #960 on: Oct 03, 2009 06:07 pm »

My favorite episodes. Period. The Zuko/Ozai confrontation is my favorite scene(s) in the entire series. Mike, Bryan, every writer, castmember, animator, and everyone who is even remotely associated to anyone that appears in the credits for this amazing show, I applaud you. Smiley

I can understand feeling sorry for Azula (I do!) and even Ozai, but in this Episode? Basically, except Zuko's changing sides again, the Episode was a complete Victory for the FN.
water avatar864
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #961 on: Oct 06, 2009 04:30 pm »

I have to say, this is on my top 5 fav list (not counting the finale, cause that beats all)  Smiley

There are so many awesome things in these eps.

1~ The (first real) Kataang kiss!! I was so happy! And notice she doesn't pull away from him? He didn't get that that means she likes him too?! I don't get it....Anyway, that was too good for words. Katara's shocked/embarrassed face and Aang's determined face as he flies off says it all.
2~ Zuko finally makes the right decision! And he redirects lightning for the first time! Bet his father wasn't expecting that.
3~ Sokka's lines. All of them. I love it when any character (Aang and Sokka especially) are threatening or upset. And this line made me squee with pure fangirlness: "Where...is...Suki?!" You go Sokka. Protect your girlfriend and kill intimidate Azula.
4~ Aang at the end. His tears of Aangst, his speech, his voice (makes me melt every time: So...HOT. *drools*) And the Kataang at the end. Katara comforting him, giving him strength. Really sweet. (Why didn't I list this first?  Roll Eyes)

Those are my highlights. Only things I didn't like: You don't get to see much of Hakoda, even at the beginning. And Katara didn't do much except get them there. That's pretty important, but I kinda wanted to see her fight.

My overall score: 10/10 One of the best.

Also, did anyone notice that Aang's eye keep changing color? They were grey in the The Invasion

and then deep brown in The Eclipse,

and then later a light brown.

They do that a lot throughout the whole series....I just thought I'd mention it.
[I got all the images off of the Avatarspirit screencaps database]
((Maybe when he's under stress/pain/aangst his eyes turn brown? idk))

Edit: About the Kataang kiss--I think Katara looked away because she was shocked/unsure or pleased/embarrassed. I think she wasn't sure if it was the right time, because Aang might not come back. And if he did, it would be awkward. (He did, and it was.) I think her reasoning is: a relationship would get in the way of our goal--ending the war. You can see this in EIP too.

^Of course, that's just my way of looking at it.  Smiley

in the last aang pic, katara sort of looks like a boy for an odd reason

Signature by tongone
Mitleser
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #962 on: Oct 15, 2009 04:51 pm »

in the last aang pic, katara sort of looks like a boy for an odd reason[/quote]

Well, at least she looks like a very pretty boy like her lovely brother and Haru. Smiley

Another better-than-canon Sokka-quote: Damn it, Katara.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Monk's Gone Wild (IZ TEH BIGGEST ZUTARIAN ON ASN)

« Reply #963 on: Dec 01, 2009 12:02 am »

So today is the two year aniversary of DoBS airing Grin

So i watched it in honor of it (even though it was leaked online 2 weeks earlier...remember that ASNers?)

Keeper of Aang discovering he had hair, Zuko&Katara first mission together

I thanked everyone who made me icon/sig on DA. General/Commander AA22 of the Zutarmy. Master of the weapon Zutaratana!
Celestine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Reign of stars.

« Reply #964 on: Dec 01, 2009 03:51 am »

Ozai: *laughs* "Your uncle has gotten to you, hasn't he?"

Zuko: "...YES... he has."

^DAMN, THAT WAS GOOD!!

Line delivery and animation were DEAD CENTER. That line was like a sledgehammer to the guts. W.I.N.

I also liked the bit before that where Zuko started his speach.

Zuko: "For so long, all I wanted was you to love me, to accept me. I thought it was my honor that I wanted, but really, *his tone changes* I was just trying to please you. (EPIC Cheesy) You, my father, who banished me just for talking out of turn. My father, who challenged me, a 13-year-old boy, to an Agni Kai. How can you possibly justify a duel with a child‌?

Ozai: "It was to teach you respect."

Zuko: "It was CRUEL, and it was wrong."

Ozai: Then you've learned nothing!"

Zuko: "No. I've learned everything, and I've had to learn it on my own."

These two episodes just have SO MUCH WIN IN THEM!!!

Perception is everything.

Keeper of Iroh's past mistakes and Katara's laughter.

Sig by The
tiansu1
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #965 on: Feb 08, 2010 08:41 am »

I really liked this episode, but I just have a few questions... Maybe you all could tell me what you think...

1) How would doing the "unthinkable" to his "own" (maybe he's lying here) son help Ozai get to the throne?

2) What do you think were the "treacherous" things that Zuko's mom did that deserved banishment?

My own theory is that maybe Zuko isn't really the son of Ozai (so Ozai is lying), but maybe he's the son of Ozai's older brother, who was actually intended to succeed the throne. However, Zuko's mom is probably his own mother, but maybe his own mother had an affair with Ozai's older brother and they gave birth to Zuko. So, Ozai may have taken his older brother's son Zuko as hostage, so that he could use Zuko as leverage to make his older brother give up the throne. But, perhaps the "treacherous" things that Ozai's wife did to deserve banishment was to mastermind a plot to have Ozai's older brother taken out. So, while Ozai succeeded to the throne, Zuko's mom took all the blame and was banished. My other theory is that maybe Zuko was born of virgin birth or something, and Roku is Zuko's spiritual father. Or, maybe Iroh IS Zuko's actual father, but Iroh never told Zuko the actual truth because he didn't want to reveal some of the shame in his heart to Zuko for one, and secondly, he didn't want Zuko to continuously grieve over the sins of his forefathers/past, but instead to look ahead and think in a positive, restorative direction... P.S. I know it's just fiction, but it drives me nuts when there's some important piece of the story I can't figure out, or maybe part of the story was just meant to be kept secret and unknown?
RedBeardJim
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #966 on: Feb 08, 2010 06:03 pm »

Tiansu1 --

This scene refers back to events seen in flashback in "Zuko Alone".
1. Doing the "unthinkable" to Zuko wasn't going to help Ozai get the throne, it was punishment placed on Ozai by Azulon for daring to suggest that he (Ozai) should be named heir instead of Iroh, since Iroh no longer had an heir.

2. Zuko's mom killed Azulon, so that Ozai wouldn't kill Zuko. This also allowed Ozai to take the throne.
tiansu1
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #967 on: Feb 09, 2010 06:50 pm »

Thanks, I might check out that episode then:) The story is so complicated that it's hard to get it the first time. You guys must be pretty dedicated...
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #968 on: Feb 09, 2010 07:30 pm »

^

2. Zuko's mom killed Azulon, so that Ozai wouldn't kill Zuko. This also allowed Ozai to take the throne.

This part isn't actually in the story, but it's the most common (and logical) theory on what happened that night.

LemonLime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #969 on: Feb 26, 2010 05:35 pm »

Gosh, I still get jittery every time I see the invasion (though I know whats going to happen). I still think its going to be different this time. Grin Lol.

Legend of Korra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #970 on: Jun 17, 2010 02:00 pm »

one thing i dont get is why Ursa was banished. i know the reason, but why would she need to be banned if Ozai was the new firelord. he was the ruler of the nation. he could do anything he wanted and he didnt need to punish his own wife for something (especially if he knew she would do it beforehand). although i think that it was something alot more complex than just killing Azulon. she seemed to know she would be banished before she even executed her plan (zuko alone).

"Give me a minute and I'll change your mind
 Give me a bullet and I'll change your life"
tyshen
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Moustache is Magic

« Reply #971 on: Jun 17, 2010 02:07 pm »

It was heavily implied that part of the plan was to forge Azulon's "will" to name Ozai as successor.  The only two people who would have known would be Ursa and Ozai themselves, so Ursa was banished to protect this secret.  The security of his place on the throne was more important to Ozai than his wife.
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2010 02:11 pm by tyshen » Logged

Quote from: Mandy
I love how you're just like YOUR IMAGINATION SUCKS SMBH, PLEASE REVIEW IT.
Watch ponies, you blank flanks.
Legend of Korra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #972 on: Jun 17, 2010 02:32 pm »

i guess i missed that

"Give me a minute and I'll change your mind
 Give me a bullet and I'll change your life"
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #973 on: Jun 18, 2010 04:24 am »

Also, if she was willing to kill the firelord (!) to protect her kid, Ozai must've been worried she might turn against him one day.

Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #974 on: Jun 20, 2010 05:03 pm »

The Invasion

positives:
-a very epic episode/battle overall Grin
-Zuko preparing to leave the Fire Nation
-Sokka becoming the leader of the invasion after Hakoda is injured
-Haru's mustache Tongue
-all of the returning characters
-seeing the gaang in their original clothes/colors again (though I missed their Fire Nation outfits)
-Appa's armor Grin
-Iroh having tea for the first time since season 3 started Cheesy
-Aang and Katara's scene together on the sub
-the Water Tribe armor
-Toph's epic earthbender soldier hat Cool
-Aang's new outfit

negatives:
-having no real buildup really hurt the overall feel of the battle IMO
-Aang's blocked chakra being used for a joke rather than a plot point... Undecided
-the lack of (implied) death Roll Eyes
-some of the technology felt a little too over the top
-some of the dialogue was a little "blah"

rating: 9.5

my Last Airbender comics
keeper of: Koh's creepy voice, his laugh, and his three minutes of screen-time.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: