Nov 17, 2019 01:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 30 (16.1%)
9 - 19 (10.2%)
8 - 46 (24.7%)
7 - 30 (16.1%)
6 - 23 (12.4%)
5 - 8 (4.3%)
4 - 10 (5.4%)
3 - 6 (3.2%)
2 - 4 (2.2%)
1 - 10 (5.4%)
Total Voters: 180

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [106] Imprisoned  (Read 31787 times)
Gye Byrd
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #75 on: Sep 24, 2008 12:22 am »

Time for another review. Let's see what I can pull outta my mind. I decided not to watch the episode while reviewing because I just tend to ramble on and on and put out a lot of pointless things. I'll probably continue doing that for the episodes that aren't truly epic.

It was pretty neat seeing the life of a small Earth Kingdom village under oppression by the Fire Nation. Earthbending's forbidden, the people are taxed heavily, and the soldiers are just a bunch of bullies.

We also get a taste of some deceitfulness from the Earth Kingdom's own citizens against one another. It sucks that the old man turned Haru in even though Haru saved the old man's life.

Sokka even shows some talent this time. At the beginning of the series he just seems like some chauvinistic show-off who can only talk, but it turns out he's better at using his mind than his body. That idea of using ventilation shafts and airbending to create fake earthbending was nothing short of spectacular.

Katara and Sokka's little pretend fight was well done. It sounded cheesy, the acting sucked, the patrol men thought Momo was an earthbender, and I love it! Poor Sokka, he's insecure about the size of his ears, but why must he take it out on poor Momo?

We see Katara trying to be a Hitler for the first time. I felt bad for her when nobody would listen. It must be pretty depressing when you pour your heart and soul into something only to have it ignored by your target audience. During her second speech after Aang blows the coal up to the surface she looked so sad when nobody would so anything. Even the warden taunted. Now that's gotta leave a scar of humiliation for a while.

Luckily, Haru jumped in. That fight was short, sweet, and awesome. That air funnel thing Aang does is awesome. He don't need to learn earthbending. All he needs is to do that and have his friends throw rocks in there. Then again, he won't be able to do that cool rock suit or rock glove or feel vibrations in the earth. Haru's daddy needs to get his facts straight. If cowards float how come I sink?

Katara loses her necklace! Oh no! Worst of all, Zuko finds it. This must have been the start of the Zutara fan base.

This wasn't one of my favorite episodes, but I try to look at it things objectively when I critique them. It's good for what it is, but I don't really like Haru. He tried to take Katara away from the group and do things to her we can't even imagine! Good thing she said no. People must learn to say no to peer pressure.

I give this episode a 10.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Monk's Gone Wild (IZ TEH BIGGEST ZUTARIAN ON ASN)

« Reply #76 on: Oct 02, 2008 05:49 pm »

^It was. Zuko found it, then the Zutara fandom was born Cheesy

Keeper of Aang discovering he had hair, Zuko&Katara first mission together

I thanked everyone who made me icon/sig on DA. General/Commander AA22 of the Zutarmy. Master of the weapon Zutaratana!
ld80061
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #77 on: Dec 29, 2008 02:36 am »

I like Gye Byrd's review, although I rated the episode a good bit lower - 7/10.  Just to elaborate

It was pretty neat seeing the life of a small Earth Kingdom village under oppression by the Fire Nation. Earthbending's forbidden, the people are taxed heavily, and the soldiers are just a bunch of bullies.

I hear you.  Bullies make me wroth.  Later, we see that Earth Kingdom soldiers can be bullies as well, but it hurts more when foreigners boss you around.  And they were occupied for five years, too!

We also get a taste of some deceitfulness from the Earth Kingdom's own citizens against one another. It sucks that the old man turned Haru in even though Haru saved the old man's life.

Here, we learn that there is always a risk in giving a helping hand in wartime.  (Katara's need to help Haru was insanely courageous, too.)  And certain people are just plain loathsome.  (Points to the old man)

But if the gAang just looked out for themselves, they just wouldn't be the heroes they were meant to be.

That idea of using ventilation shafts and airbending to create fake earthbending was nothing short of spectacular.

I do like the fact that he decided to stick it out with his sister, even after she turned down his ultimatum to leave - an intelligent request, BTW.  That's the kind of brotherhood thing I admire.  (Literal brotherhood, in this case!)

Katara and Sokka's little pretend fight was well done. It sounded cheesy, the acting sucked, the patrol men thought Momo was an earthbender, and I love it!

Avatar humour - Momo the earthbender, Katara's earthbender pose, and that sly remark Tyro, Haru's father, made near the end of the show.  And, of course, "Act natural!"  That's why Avatar is a much better show that I could ever make - I just don't have the humour instinct needed to levy the seriousness and the action.

We see Katara trying to be a Hitler for the first time. I felt bad for her when nobody would listen. It must be pretty depressing when you pour your heart and soul into something only to have it ignored by your target audience.

Katara was trying to move the masses - she did try hard, but relied too much on speechifying, and not enough on showing what she wanted them to do.  I like the realistic reaction of the prisoners.  This was the main reason why I cut the episode to seven, instead of an eight.  Still, an average Avatar episode is heads and shoulders above the drek on most TV.

Katara loses her necklace! Oh no! Worst of all, Zuko finds it. This must have been the start of the Zutara fan base.

Which is why this episode will live in infamy.
A Dark Knight
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Hail to the victors vailiant...

« Reply #78 on: Mar 15, 2009 02:54 pm »

And here's a little fact: Pat Musick, Mae Whitman's mom, was Haru's Mother in this episode.

Credit goes to ATL for the sig
Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #79 on: Apr 18, 2010 02:38 pm »

I actually avoided watching Avatar for almost a week just because of this episode. It always seems to be one of the episodes that slows me down when I watch the series from the beginning. Cheesy

positives:
-the whole EARTHBENDING STYLE scene Grin
-hearing more about Kya
-the battle at the end
-Sokka's first "idea guy" moment
-a nice look at some "regular" earthbenders after seeing just Bumi

negatives:
-Haru (I don't think I need to say anymore)
-a very boring feel to the episode overall
-Katara's hope speech
-no Zuko/Iroh B plot, which really could have helped this episode
-the music isn't that memorable

rating: 5.5

This has always been one of my least favorite episodes. Haru is such a boring character, and I can't stand him. The story of this episode is good, but it's ruined by poor writing. There are a few memorable moments (mostly involving comedy), but it's just one of those episodes that's really hard for me to force myself to watch. It's not terrible, but there isn't enough in this episode to save it from being pretty dull.
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010 01:41 am by Mooseboy018 » Logged

my Last Airbender comics
keeper of: Koh's creepy voice, his laugh, and his three minutes of screen-time.
catstop
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Keeper of the decedents of the Air Nomad survivors

« Reply #80 on: Jul 16, 2010 01:17 am »

Act 1: Act one did a decent job at setting up the plot - despite the ridiculously predictable foreshadowing.
Act 1 Rating: 4

Act 2: Act two was actually tightly written. The biggest problem was the boring characters. The switch wasn't very clear - another big problem - I think it was suppose to be when Haru's dad yells attack but I'm leaning toward when Katara says she's staying. And yet even though it's way too early something is telling me it was when she says "because I'm going to get arrested for Earth Bending." If it was where he says attack - the timing is fine. If it was either of the other two - the switch was way too soon.
Switch Rating: 3
Act 2 Rating: 4

Act 3: Act three is does do it's duty. The problem wasn't the transition or dialog - it was the character boringness.
Act 3 Rating: 7

Special Effects: 7

Dialog: 6

Storyline: 6

Extra pluses/minuses: Minus - Not enough character development.

Over All: 6

Pairings supported: On Ji x Aang - Katara x Jet - Sokka x Suki - Toph x Tenzik (FN OC from "The Headband") - Appa x Nyla - Momo x Hawky - Zuko x Mai - Ty Lee x Haru - Azula x Chach
Ambrose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #81 on: Aug 15, 2010 08:15 pm »

Yeah this episode seemed weaker, and that last shot of Zuko... is he supposed to be scary?
 I thought he was designed to be a joke, voice acting wise and just in general. He's like Inspector Clouseau.

Carpe diem
noblebender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

-20 approval rating

« Reply #82 on: Aug 15, 2010 08:16 pm »

*Walks in* It's because that was meant as a shoutout to Zutarians. *Walks out*

credit to bluerainicons @ LJ                                          Harustache senses are TOTALLY on Tophic. - Mariabug, The Pebble, noblebender
Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #83 on: Aug 16, 2010 12:39 am »

I thought he was designed to be a joke, voice acting wise and just in general. He's like Inspector Clouseau.

He definitely wasn't meant to be a joke, at least not his design or voice acting.

Him getting his ass kicked by Aang and life in general makes him a little bit of a joke though. Tongue

my Last Airbender comics
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #84 on: Aug 21, 2010 08:42 pm »

Yo, guys, it's time for some more Avatar: The Last Airbender!

In this episode, we are introduced to a new character, one that I'm assuming is to be episodonic (that means, he appears for only one episode).  I don't believe he's given a very appropriate introduction by the soundtrack either, as it makes it seem like he's doing something incredibly menacing and threatening with his Earthbending, when in actuality, he's really just practicing, completely unaware of anything else.  

Speaking of Haru, he gets captured, that's fine, but why the heck did that old man even want to turn him in to begin with?  I was guessing that he was a spy, but, it seems like a lot of trouble to go to to risk your life on the off chance that someone you suspect is an earthbender just MIGHT help you out.  Is he really just that much of a jackass?

Katara, by the way, is somewhat irritating in this episode in that even though she's quick to do all sorts of things, she really doesn't seem to actually think things through as much as she should, and just comes off sounding like an idiot in this Episode.  Her plan to get on that Prison Warden ship so that Aang and Sokka could find the ship by following her path was pretty clever, but, it bothers me how her entire plan centered around the Earthbenders actually being able to rebel.  I think had they been able to, they would've done so by now.

As a matter of fact, speaking of rebelling, why didn't Aang and Co. bring any kind of weapons with them?  I'm pretty sure that a stockpile of spears, swords, slings, heavy stones, and crossbows would've really helped the Earthbenders rebel, like their plan revolved around.  They shouldn't have had a problem getting it either, after all, Aang IS friends with a king!

I'm not sure how long it would've taken them to go all the way back to Bumi, but, it's not like they didn't have plenty of time.  I'm sure the Earthbenders could've waited a few more days.

Now that I think about it, why hasn't Sokka gotten himself any weapons or armor in these past episodes?  As a matter of fact, if I remember correctly, he HAD armor to wear, from the Kyoshi Warriors, so why isn't he using that?  Where'd that go?

Katara's revolution fails as expected when no one responds, the Prison Warden, our absolutely ridiculous villain for the Episode, doesn't seem anywhere near as worried as he should about someone trying to start a revolution, but then, he does seem like a total dolt, so that's to be expected.

The climax comes when Aang figures out that by summoning up all the coal on the ship, the Earthbenders will have something to fight back with.  And it is at this point, that the Gate Warden shows his complete and utter incompetence by absolutely NO CONCERN about the fact that the earthbenders now have weapons to fight with, nor does anything to get rid of them before the earthbenders get any funny idea of using them, and gets trounced by a small group of aging earthbenders who are about 5 years out of practice, and have no weapons to use but a small pile of coals...

You know, with how low Zuko set the bar, I never would have concieved that there would actually be villains so bad, that Zuko actually looks good in comparison.  It doesn't exactly make the firebenders look good when the show has gone on for six episodes, and still hasn't got any better villains than the one that regularly gets trounced in just one to two blows. Zuko better start hitting the weights, otherwise, it's going to be a LOOOOONG wait for Season 2, which, if the Avatar Movie is anything to go by (I haven't seen it, only reviews of it), is when we'll be getting an especially powerful villain.

But hey, at least he has the smarts to find Katara's necklace on that abandoned ship, once again proving that, even as an exiled prince, he STILL seems to be more on the ball than Zhao is on finding new information and acting on it, and has a better network of spies (as proven in Episode 4), making Zhao look even more worthless than he already is.

I guess in addition to taking a hit pretty well, he's fairly good at tracking as well, and has assembled a competent team considering his circumstances, so, we're getting there, we're getting there.  One slow step at a time, huh?

Anyways, about the Episode?  It's nothing exceptional compared to Episode 3 and 5, but, I like it all the same.  It teaches us that one should never give up, even under the blackest of curtains, that nothing ever gets done unless you buckle down and put a fire in your belly. Plus, it's nice to see that Aang finally seems to be getting a sense of responsibility (Sokka is the only one who objects to helping out the Earthbenders).  Also, again, the jokes are actually funny now, ever since Episode 5.

Before I end this though, both the voice actors for the Ship Warden and Haru's Father sound incredibly familiar.  I looked up the VA for the Ship Warden, and found no other previous projects that he was in, so I can't say anything about him.  Haru's Father though reminds me of one of the male voices from Baldur's Gate, and I'm too lazy to look him up now, so, has he been in a lot of other roles?  He sounds familiar.

Anyways, that wraps up another log.  See you folks later.
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2010 08:44 pm by Fionordequester » Logged
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #85 on: Aug 21, 2010 08:48 pm »

I looked up the VA for the Ship Warden, and found no other previous projects that he was in, so I can't say anything about him.

George Takei. Widely known as Mr Sulu from Star Trek.

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #86 on: Aug 21, 2010 08:50 pm »

Never watched Star Trek.  Sorry.
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #87 on: Aug 21, 2010 08:51 pm »

Never watched Star Trek.  Sorry.

Me neither Tongue  I just know he's Mr Sulu because I've seen it mentioned in many places.

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
iamaang92
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #88 on: Aug 21, 2010 08:58 pm »

So, a few things:
Katara is a very emotional person, and tries to help people whenever she can. Some, like me, admire that, others find her overbearing and stubborn.
The old man turns Haru in because he gets favor with the Fire Nation from that (ya, he's a scumbag).
The Warden didn't care because he was arrogant and determined to prove to Katara and Co. that the earthbenders are weak and have a broken spirit. He has to keep the face of a confident warden, but that came back to bite him in the butt.
ANd the reason the earthbenders didn't rebel on their own is because they probably never thought of using the coal, plus had broken spirits.
Glad you're enjoying, move on

LOK and Makorra are great
Keeper of Tho's "No wonder you left", Aang's "It's a compliment!", Katara's "Sugar Queen?" and Ozai's "I have all the power in the world!"
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #89 on: Aug 21, 2010 09:06 pm »

Katara is a very emotional person, and tries to help people whenever she can. Some, like me, admire that, others find her overbearing and stubborn.

Well, I don't mind that she tries to help people, what irritates me is that she doesn't think things through.  Believe me, I'm all for helping people whenever I get the chance, but, I also know that I need to have a solid plan that puts me and my boys at the least risk if this ever happens, because otherwise, we'll die, and we'll never be able to help anyone again BECAUSE we didn't take proper precautions.  Just by not taking proper precautions, we're responsible for the murder of many other people just because we were not there to help them, because we didn't come up with a solid plan for the group of people we did want to help.

Point is, you can't let your emotions rule you, you need to be balanced out by logic and patience to, otherwise, you're just a burden to others.  Had Aang not figured out about the coal, Katara's stunt would've forced everyone to put themselves in a very dangerous position.

I'm not discrediting Katara's intentions though.  It's beautiful that she is so willing to help people, and I wish more people in the world were like that.  It's as Tea from Yu-Gi-Oh said, I think her heart is in the right place, it's her head I'm worried about.

The old man turns Haru in because he gets favor with the Fire Nation from that (ya, he's a scumbag).

That stupid assinine fleabag Cry

The Warden didn't care because he was arrogant and determined to prove to Katara and Co. that the earthbenders are weak and have a broken spirit. He has to keep the face of a confident warden, but that came back to bite him in the butt.

I think you're giving him a little too much credit.  Nobody who feels the need to randomly knock his crew mates off ships (potentially killing them), and enunciate and speak words like he does can possibly have all the screws in his head correctly tightened.

And the reason the earthbenders didn't rebel on their own is because they probably never thought of using the coal, plus had broken spirits.

Hm...I don't remember complaining about that.  Where did I complain about that?

Glad you're enjoying, move on

No, it's two logs per day for now.
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2010 09:09 pm by Fionordequester » Logged
iamaang92
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #90 on: Aug 21, 2010 09:11 pm »

Oh, when you were talking about the earthbenders being able to rebel, you said "If they could, they would have by now." I thought you were complaining about that.
Anyways, Katara and company at many times may not fully think things through, remember, they are learning as they're going along.
And as in move on, I didn't mean right now, I just meant like in the future lol.

Keeper of Tho's "No wonder you left", Aang's "It's a compliment!", Katara's "Sugar Queen?" and Ozai's "I have all the power in the world!"
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #91 on: Aug 21, 2010 09:15 pm »

Oh, cool.  And I know that they're learning.  But, it's still leaves a certain fear in ones heart that, someone might die from that mistake before they learn from it.  And I generally like all the characters, I don't want any of them dieing.
iamaang92
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #92 on: Aug 21, 2010 09:29 pm »

Haha, I'd hope you wouldn't want any of them to die lol

Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #93 on: Aug 21, 2010 11:23 pm »

Now that I think about it, why hasn't Sokka gotten himself any weapons or armor in these past episodes?  As a matter of fact, if I remember correctly, he HAD armor to wear, from the Kyoshi Warriors, so why isn't he using that?  Where'd that go?

Sokka has his boomerang, his club, and his machete thing, but the only one he really uses is his boomerang.  You have to keep in mind that this is a Nickelodeon show.  The reason bending was even thought of was because they wanted a fantasy series, but they wanted to avoid swords and that kind of combat.  "It's a kid's show" can be applied to quite a few things like that throughout the series.

And I don't think Sokka wanted to wear a dress for the rest of the series... He didn't change that much. Cheesy
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2010 11:25 pm by Mooseboy018 » Logged

my Last Airbender comics
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #94 on: Aug 21, 2010 11:26 pm »

It didn't even need to be a dress.  All he'd have to do is cut off the skirt like thing, and he'd have some functional, non silly armor.
Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #95 on: Aug 21, 2010 11:31 pm »

I guess that's just not his style.

my Last Airbender comics
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #96 on: Aug 22, 2010 01:55 pm »

Hey guys, more Avatar the Last Airbender logging in Episode 7!  See yah there!
drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am the first Jinora fan.

« Reply #97 on: Feb 23, 2011 10:09 am »

I was watching this episode recently and it scared me that I could quote every line as they were said.

Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #98 on: Feb 23, 2011 03:54 pm »

That's how I feel about the whole show...it is quite scary. Cheesy

my Last Airbender comics
Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #99 on: Feb 23, 2011 04:04 pm »

I like how Katara and Sokka play-argued to get the FN to arrest her so she could get Haru.

Katara: (Poses) EARTHBENDING STYLE!!
(Nothing)
Katara: I said...EARTHBENDING STYLE!
(Aang hurries to Airbend the rock upward)
FN Soldier: The Lemur is Earthbending!
Sokka: No, you idiots! It's the girl!

That gets me every time!

Probably the funniest moment along with the friendly mushroom.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: