Jul 17, 2018 11:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 30 (16.1%)
9 - 19 (10.2%)
8 - 46 (24.7%)
7 - 30 (16.1%)
6 - 23 (12.4%)
5 - 8 (4.3%)
4 - 10 (5.4%)
3 - 6 (3.2%)
2 - 4 (2.2%)
1 - 10 (5.4%)
Total Voters: 180

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [106] Imprisoned  (Read 27212 times)
worldends08
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm an Avatard. Big whoop. Want to fight about it?

« Reply #100 on: Feb 23, 2011 10:47 pm »

It's not the last time Katara gives an "inspirational" speech.

Keeper of nothing but my own imagination & and this->
Ubern00b
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Moar Avatar makes me happy in my smile parts!

« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2011 02:27 am »

Ep. 105 review.

Ubern00b reviews Avatar: The Last Airbender

Ugh...I hate this episode!  Well...no, that's not right.  I hate having to review it.  Not because it's bad mind you.  It's not.  JM gets it's act back together and starts churning out consistent character models again with a lot of full animation shots, and that Korean Superman gets yet another moment to shine:

"Bitches betta rec'nize mah homeboy Ryu Ki Hyun...aight!"

That's all fine and good, but it's all revolving around an episode that's just...bland.  Vanilla.  Blase.  Boring.  It doesn't even have the benefit of being bad.  It tackles fairly complicated themes of hope and family in times of war about as well as a half hour kids show can.  Hell, the moment the audience is made aware of Haru's capture is actually pretty poignant.

Or somebody's littering on the highway...

This episode is completely forgettable and I had to watch it twice to find things to discuss...and I still couldn't do it!  The only thing of note I could find was the third character introduced in this episode after Haru and his mother...

Dis guy...

Ooooh boy!  Ladies and gentleman, it is my pleasure to introduce, for one episode only, Mr. George "Sulu" Takei!  Wow oh wow people!  I swear he almost saves this episode from it's own mundanity and probably would have if he was in it for more than the second half.  I'm surprised they had any paper left to draw on for all the scenery he chews!  He's got some good lines, don't get me wrong, but most of 'em are as generic as the rest of the show, but he takes those lines, chews them to pulp, spits 'em back out and tells the audience to EAT IT!  He has a wonderful moment where he says, "Foooolish girl! You thought a few inspirational words and some coal would change these people?"  He literally squeals the last word out!  It's awesome!   A glorious last burst of energy in this dying episode.  And good lord was it needed!

It may seem like I hated this episode, but I didn't.  It's so forgettable, I can't even remember if there was anything wrong with it.  Deal with that paradox!

Ep. 107 review.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011 04:10 am by Ubern00b » Logged

Psionicism
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

THE GAME. You lost it.

« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2011 05:28 pm »

I hope you realize how awkward Katara's index finger is in that screengrab you picked.  It's funny because of the words you mentioned right before showing it.

You might want to refresh the page, I've probably edited my post since you looked at it.

I can remember
when I used to enjoy them.
What happened to me?
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2011 06:18 pm »

^My index finger does that exact thing though O___O
Ubern00b
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2011 07:15 pm »

Oh yeah, Ryu gets about as off model as you can get, but he gets away with it cause he animates the characters!  When he let's loose, they starting moving and I don't just mean simple pose-to-pose neither.  It's full animation which is almost NEVER seen in ANYTHING other than feature animation.

You mah boy Ryu!

Psionicism
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

THE GAME. You lost it.

« Reply #105 on: May 18, 2011 08:07 pm »

What exactly do you mean by "pose-to-pose?"  I'm genuinely curious here.

You might want to refresh the page, I've probably edited my post since you looked at it.

I can remember
when I used to enjoy them.
What happened to me?
Ubern00b
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #106 on: May 18, 2011 08:27 pm »

A while ago I made this:

Those are the 'poses' for an animation where all the inbetween frames have not yet been drawn, but they give a clear idea of all the actions that will take place in the animation.  Using pose-to-pose animation is effective for cheap animation as animators don't have to draw a lot of complicated movement (which takes time/money to do right).  If it's done well, cheap animation can look very effective.  It's especially good for action scenes where a lot of things are happening (expensive to animate) and it's all happening very fast (cheap to animate).  Having good poses allows the animation to clearly communicate what's happening (expensive) in one frame while keeping the movement between poses in very few frames to make it look quick (cheap).

Samurai Jack is a show that uses pose-to-pose animation REALLY well.

Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #107 on: May 30, 2011 01:49 am »

Honestly, I think the main problem with this Episode is that the writer threw childish slapstick and goofiness into an Episode where it was completely innappropriate, which took away the impact from what was going on onscreen.  I mean, it's kind of hard to focus on how harsh and cruel the prisoners lives are when you're being distracted by how much of a nutball the prison warden is, and the fact that apparently, Katara can spout out a rousing motivational speech with no repercussion whatsoever other than being laughed at by the Prison Warden.  And that's not even mentioning the whole "Earth Bending" scene with Katara and Appa. 

Not to say that there weren't some dark, effective moments, but there wasn't enough of that in this Episode.  It still felt like I was watching a cartoon rather than a serious story most of the time.
London Lust
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #108 on: Nov 13, 2011 11:02 am »

Let's just say this:

The only way I could get through this episode was thinking of Haru like he was in his Abridged form.
Hawkflame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Don't cross the Melon Lord

« Reply #109 on: Sep 24, 2013 09:47 am »

I'm actually quite surprised by the negative reaction behind this episode, because this was one of the first to clue me in on how smart this show is.  I didn't mind the goofy jokes, because I thought they picked and chose the moments for them rather well.  The humor comes from the characters, not the story, and they did it at times where you needed something of a breather. 

I thought the scene with the speech itself was really powerful.  I love how Katara tries her best to inspire them, but they're so beaten down and devoid of any and all hope that they barely even *acknowledge* her.  That's why the prison warden lets her go on like that, he knows that it's not going to do any good, and if anything it'll just crush the spirit of one more prisoner. 

The utter hopelessness in this episode was palpable, which made the uprising in the end all the more satisfying.
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King of Heroes, Gilgamesh

« Reply #110 on: Sep 24, 2013 10:13 am »

I'm actually quite surprised by the negative reaction behind this episode, because this was one of the first to clue me in on how smart this show is.  I didn't mind the goofy jokes, because I thought they picked and chose the moments for them rather well.  The humor comes from the characters, not the story, and they did it at times where you needed something of a breather.  

I thought the scene with the speech itself was really powerful.  I love how Katara tries her best to inspire them, but they're so beaten down and devoid of any and all hope that they barely even *acknowledge* her.  That's why the prison warden lets her go on like that, he knows that it's not going to do any good, and if anything it'll just crush the spirit of one more prisoner.  

The utter hopelessness in this episode was palpable, which made the uprising in the end all the more satisfying.

I agree completely. Whenever I hear Katara's speech, I get shivers. The despair the prisoners show there is. wonderful. Gets me everytime.

I really wanted them to show more destruction of the war , but they stretched it as far as they could in the later Seasons. The show can't be all despair, or else we will get "The Last Airbender".
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2013 02:59 pm by Furudo Erika » Logged
Dacey
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #111 on: Sep 24, 2013 03:26 pm »

Except that her speech is NOTHING compared to the one that Aang made in the movie. Such a powerful piece of acting!

Wink
BloodbenderBeast
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I've lost my life in water tribe....

« Reply #112 on: Nov 27, 2013 02:56 pm »

Haru is scared of the waterbenders!!! LOL!!!!!

What happens? She is The Painted Lady, isn't she? LOL!!!!! She is our CRAZY KATARA!!!!
But Haru is cool!!!! The funniest earthbender ever! LOL!!!!! He is a king!

darth fluffy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Jetko shipper 'til the end <3

« Reply #113 on: Nov 27, 2013 06:10 pm »

I'm actually quite surprised by the negative reaction behind this episode, because this was one of the first to clue me in on how smart this show is.  I didn't mind the goofy jokes, because I thought they picked and chose the moments for them rather well.  The humor comes from the characters, not the story, and they did it at times where you needed something of a breather.  

I thought the scene with the speech itself was really powerful.  I love how Katara tries her best to inspire them, but they're so beaten down and devoid of any and all hope that they barely even *acknowledge* her.  That's why the prison warden lets her go on like that, he knows that it's not going to do any good, and if anything it'll just crush the spirit of one more prisoner.  

I remember this being the first episode that I actually liked. All of them before this one I hated, but I watched this episode and I was like, "Wow. Avatar is more than just a kid's show, I should watch more."

And then I officially became a fan and was hugely surprised at the amount of negative press this gets. Huh

Keeper of: Zuko's "I'm so pretty!", the Smellerbee is Jet's sister theory, Jet's overall sexiness, Amon's tragic childhood, and Asami's lipstick.
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #114 on: Dec 31, 2014 03:11 pm »

Oh lookie here, it is the original Painted Lady! Anyway, I liked the episode. It was the series first introduction to the war and it explored it in a way that was accessible yet sufficiently mature. Haru may be boring, but he and his dad were serviceable. I loved the Wardern, he was a loathesome character who did his job well. I also liked how Sokka and Katara performed that little skit. It was very funny. The animation for that scene was very lively, which made it all the more funny.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: