Dec 17, 2017 12:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 30 (16.1%)
9 - 19 (10.2%)
8 - 46 (24.7%)
7 - 30 (16.1%)
6 - 23 (12.4%)
5 - 8 (4.3%)
4 - 10 (5.4%)
3 - 6 (3.2%)
2 - 4 (2.2%)
1 - 10 (5.4%)
Total Voters: 180

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [106] Imprisoned  (Read 26599 times)
Acastus
Expert Advisor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Victim of the gelatinous cube.

« on: Feb 11, 2006 09:54 am »

Official Description: The kids come to an Earth Nation town which is occupied by the Fire Nation. But will Katara's attempts to inspire the oppressed people help them or hurt them?
Opal Koboi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fools rush in where lemurs fear to look

« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2006 11:18 pm »

This was the Avatar episode I've seen, So when I first watched it I had very little idea what was going on, and got a little annoyed with all of Katara's speechifying. The episode ended with the intriguing shot of Zuko holding Katara's necklace and staring out into the sea - and I had to find out more. Thus my obsession was begun.
After seeing that episode again, I still get annoyed with Katara's speeches, but I think this is the first time Aang actually rescues people from the fire nation's oppression, so this is an important step in his growing into his role as the avatar.

akamai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2006 06:42 am »

The thing I really liked in this episode was the earthbending at the end. It's what made it my favorite element. Smiley I wanted to see Haru again, but not as much anymore. Although maybe he will come back because this current book is "Earth".

Avatar and Signature set made by InnerYin.

"Now we know that all elements have their strength's and weaknesses...but fire is the best!" -Iroh
Kaits
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

No more school for you young man! *strokes beard*

« Reply #3 on: Aug 29, 2006 05:34 pm »

"Firenation soldiers! Act natural!"

So. Awesome. XD

Keeper of:The Boulder's autograph, Sokka's special knot, Azula's out-of-place hair, and Professer Zei's diploma.
Sig by Avatar_Mom.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC1qkLn6IRI
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Momo is watching...and waiting...

« Reply #4 on: Aug 29, 2006 06:37 pm »

I like how Katara and Sokka play-argued to get the FN to arrest her so she could get Haru.

Katara: (Poses) EARTHBENDING STYLE!!
(Nothing)
Katara: I said...EARTHBENDING STYLE!
(Aang hurries to Airbend the rock upward)
FN Soldier: The Lemur is Earthbending!
Sokka: No, you idiots! It's the girl!

That gets me every time!
Tananda
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av by omgasp

Michelle+es+FAG
« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2006 06:38 pm »

It's the look on Momos face that makes that moment so perfect. Hahaha

Golden Legacy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Avatar is the true 'Final Fantasy'

linkslegacy89@hotmail.com Mystic+Honor
« Reply #6 on: Aug 30, 2006 11:14 pm »

That was one of the funniest moments I had ever seen ever. Sheer brilliance.

Overall, I'd say that while the episode's plot was "typical", it had brilliant smaller moments that made it absolutely worth watching.

Greetings. Name's Ryan, nice to meet you!
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Sep 01, 2006 04:24 pm »

One thing that bugs me with this episode. Earthbenders are imprisoned with walls made out of iron. Isn't iron supposed to be an elemental part of the Earth? Hence makes it more stronger than just rock and stone? It's just reformed in a different state, but it's still iron. Toph (in later a later episode) said rock is a stubborn element. To bend the rock, the bender must be stronger (or more stubborn) than a rock (hence, the fighting stance).

I wonder, if soon, an Earthbender (hopefully, Toph or King Bumi) will realize that iron itself on a tank (or mechanical warchine made by the Fire Nation) is a part of the Earth and is just as stubborn (and elemental) as a rock (since the only thing that makes it move is the engine and fuel) and can be bent to their advantage against the Fire Nation?
Firelord Sunny
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yip yip!

ladymecha
« Reply #8 on: Sep 02, 2006 12:34 pm »

well apparantly metal is a weakness of the earthbenders, apparently the metal isnt pure enough for the earthbenders to bend... thats my belief at least.

Anyhow this is the episode where I started to really get into the series, this episode was a real pivitol episode for season one.
It is real easy to overlook this episode, but i think it is a highlight of season 1.
For one is Katara, her character is very strong in this episode. 
Now before this episode I didnt know how to judge Katara as even though she had an agreesive streak (as seen in the pilot) and a soft side (the southern air temple) I didnt know what to make of her.
This is the episode where her character appealed to me, normally a female character in a toon show lile this is meek but Katara proves that she is a developing character here.
Then there is Sokka, Sokka here shows how smart he can be for the first time...
This is the first time where Aang was not the main focus of the story, and is where I start debating that he is not the main character...
of course I dont think Avatar has one main character at this point, all the characters are the main characters...

Space, the final frontier...
These are the voyages of the flying bison Appa.
His ongoing mission, to explore strange new worlds,
To help Aang seek out new bending masters and escape the firenation.
To boldy go where no flying bison has gone before...

Keeper of Davros' frozen head
Nat
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I haven't given up hope yet. ;_;

darthnat@hotmail.com charaznable26
« Reply #9 on: Sep 02, 2006 03:15 pm »

One thing that bugs me with this episode. Earthbenders are imprisoned with walls made out of iron. Isn't iron supposed to be an elemental part of the Earth? Hence makes it more stronger than just rock and stone? It's just reformed in a different state, but it's still iron. Toph (in later a later episode) said rock is a stubborn element. To bend the rock, the bender must be stronger (or more stubborn) than a rock (hence, the fighting stance).

I wonder, if soon, an Earthbender (hopefully, Toph or King Bumi) will realize that iron itself on a tank (or mechanical warchine made by the Fire Nation) is a part of the Earth and is just as stubborn (and elemental) as a rock (since the only thing that makes it move is the engine and fuel) and can be bent to their advantage against the Fire Nation?

The problem is that without the metal weakness, there would be no realistic way for the Fire Nation to last so long against the Earth Kingdom.  If Earthbenders could bend metal, they would be without a doubt the single most powerful benders in the entire show.  They would slaughter the Fire Nation in record time, since all their military equipment is made out of metal.  Earthbenders are already very strong, and without the weakness, they'd be practically unstoppable, so it's there to provide balance.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Oct 01, 2006 04:35 pm »

yes that is why fire is the best. katara really sounded stupid while making those speeches

^Made in the Earth Kingdom

Keeper of Momo's dancing

HURRICANE RIPS THROUGH GRAVEYARD!!! THOUSANDS DEAD!!!
zennyrpg
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ZennyRPG
« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2006 11:10 am »

At first I was a little put off my earth benders not being able to bend metal, because in most fantasy metal falls under the element earth.  But thinking about it, that would make them way to powerful.  Plus maybe earth benders can only bend molecules that make up rocks, like water benders can only bend h2o.  Even with steel, which contains carbon they might try to bend it but the iron atoms hold them back.  Anyway, i can see why a distinction between earth and metal isn't entirely forced.  But that means that metal doesn't belong to any element... so its like an uber element?

Katara's speeches were a little bit much, but i liked them. "I can tell you the avatar has returned."  And Harus little line at the end "That's him, isn't it? The Avatar."  It's more than Aang just going around helping people, he's making a legend of himself.  There were lots of big moments for the characters as stated before:

Aang- It was a huge task to save all those people, and it fits perfectly into him becoming the Avatar.  Even if his friends a lot of the work...
Katara- Huge character development.  Katara was so brave to allow herself to be captured.  She's also a huge idealist... and that has been guiding her actions ever since.
Sokka- He's the idea guy!  He found his niche in this episode.

Funny though, his is like the only episode poll that doesn't have the majority of 10 votes.

Keeper of Sozin's Blue Dragon
Keeper of Zuko's Blue Inner Dragon
Keeper of Zuko's Red Inner Dragon
Keeper of the Meadow Vole
Mikesta
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

plazamikie@hotmail.com
« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2006 07:31 pm »

This episode was great...I wanted to kill that old man who told on haru (who saved his life) man how can he do that...katara was annoying in this episode...and this is also the episode where i became addicted with avatar (the first time i decided to watch avatar is when "the king of omashu" came out)

The end was great where Haru and his father attacked the firebender guy

It was cool when aang used airbending to make a gun to shoot rocks

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!!
storm-of-insanity
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

THE Iroh and Zuko fan

« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2006 03:21 pm »

I have to say, that was the first time I wanted to kill any of the Avatar main characters. Katara was so ANNOYING. I don't normally have anything against her but in this episode... ARG. She has such a big mouth! Her speeches were great if they were made by a man of 40 but she's only 14. That was one of the worst episodes. There wasn't even that much Aang or Sokka to tone it down.

Proud to be a friendship junkie!
barfarama2
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2006 08:21 am »

I like how Katara and Sokka play-argued to get the FN to arrest her so she could get Haru.

Katara: (Poses) EARTHBENDING STYLE!!
(Nothing)
Katara: I said...EARTHBENDING STYLE!
(Aang hurries to Airbend the rock upward)
FN Soldier: The Lemur is Earthbending!
Sokka: No, you idiots! It's the girl!

That gets me every time!

One of my favorite Avatar moments!
Kaiser Avatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #15 on: Nov 16, 2006 08:35 pm »

This episode turned me away from the show until "The Deserter" so I missed a bunch of episodes until I rented the DVDs.  Man, I just got sick after this!  It was terrible, Haku sucked, and Katara's speeches were so annoying!

I am faster than 80% of snakes.
cloudmonet
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Professional cartoon romantic.

« Reply #16 on: Nov 17, 2006 01:01 am »

Well, I'm not annoyed by Katara's idealism, and it fits into her development. She gets more cautious later, as she realizes what a dangerous world she's living in. I was a bit surprised the warden let her go on speaking. In the end, she was right and he was wrong about the earthbenders' morale.

This show really is a "Children's crusade," all about idealistic innocents with power confronting a cultural heritage of corruption and/or outright evil, with varying degrees of partial success.

jman1009
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Time to face your destiny...

« Reply #17 on: Nov 27, 2006 04:53 pm »

I really like this episode I always get a tingling feeling whenever I watch Horu stand up to the Warden. This was the second episode I had ever seen and it immediatly got me hooked.

Sig by Sedai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2006 03:55 pm »

I knew it! I knew it! I knew it! I knew it! Some Earthbender will eventually bend metal since it was once part of the Earth. And, as I did hoped, it turns out to be Toph.

As Toph said: Woo! Toph, you rule!
Hot_Hands
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2006 05:26 pm »

I loved the ending! I got hooked!
Memento Mori
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Remember your mortality...

« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2007 01:56 am »

This episode is one of my dad's favorites.
But the fandom's response to it is a bit odd.
It's as if you either love the episode or you hate it; never in between.
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2007 01:27 am by Memento Mori » Logged

coolcamz18
Can't Use Avatars
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2007 12:21 am »

fire nation soldier: that lemur its....earthbending!!!
sokka: no its the girl!!!
go momo!!!

Guess who's back?! Wink
well only for a little while.. :'(
I just miss my friends Grin
norse_hunter
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Es teh Michael Jackson, DEAL WITH IT!!!

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2007 06:00 pm »

This is an awesome episode, and it contains one of the funniest moments in all of Avatar. I love the way Katara is drawn when she's going earthbender. THat just cracks me up.

I will return on Monday the 18th.
dragonofthewest
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2007 02:13 pm »

One thing that bugs me with this episode. Earthbenders are imprisoned with walls made out of iron. Isn't iron supposed to be an elemental part of the Earth?...I wonder, if soon, an Earthbender (hopefully, Toph or King Bumi) will realize that iron itself on a tank (or mechanical warchine made by the Fire Nation) is a part of the Earth and is just as stubborn (and elemental) as a rock (since the only thing that makes it move is the engine and fuel) and can be bent to their advantage against the Fire Nation?

Ooooh...endless props to you for your mad prophesying skills!

Does anyone else think that Fire Nation soldiers are hopelessly gullible?  In this episode, they fall for the old "earthbending lemur" trick...then in "Return to Omashu" they're all certain they've heard of pentapox...these are the geniuses who have practically conquered the world?   Tongue

The proud keeper of: Cabbage Man's despair, Bosco's animal instincts, and Katara's kleptomania
PicklexDreamer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Avvie by frozen!

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2007 01:12 pm »

I liked this eposode, but those speeches made me squirm. In my head was like "No, don't say that!" and then "Why won't you people agree with her?"  It got me very confused. I loved the tone of the voices while they were "arguing" though. It was so obvious and funny. Priceless!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: