Dec 15, 2019 06:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate the episode
10 - 451 (58.4%)
9 - 186 (24.1%)
8 - 71 (9.2%)
7 - 32 (4.1%)
6 - 14 (1.8%)
5 - 4 (0.5%)
4 - 5 (0.6%)
3 - 3 (0.4%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 6 (0.8%)
Total Voters: 756

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [308] The Puppetmaster  (Read 82415 times)
J J Mao
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Sig and icon by me P:

« Reply #25 on: Oct 25, 2007 08:07 pm »

This episode was incredible. The music, mood and themes really proved that Avatar is a well crafted show. Plus it probably pushed a load of Nick's limits Cheesy. It was also really nicely animated, and the camera angles added to the effect.

But enough about technical stuff. It was cool to see the SWT in its glory. And Hama was awesome, and creepy o_O I'd actually like to see more people like her, twisted by the war. Really, after 100 years you'd think there'll be more people like her. Also, Bloodbending seemed like it hopped out of a fanfiction. But it was still done well.

Also, was that a cameo of Young!Kanna?? She had the same hairstyle as Katara, plus an engagement necklace that sorta (maybe I'm looking too much into this) looked like Katara's necklace. AND she looked like Kanna from Booterfreak's comic XD But I guess that's not canon...
9/10

Keeper of Sokka's "Go to your room!"
Keeper of Aang's "Flamey-O"
J J's Horrid Art Cheesy
Mastema
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Prince of Dawn

« Reply #26 on: Oct 25, 2007 08:17 pm »

OMG... Katara + full moon = GOD TIER

I've been thinking about this type of ability for a while now. Drawing moisture from living things, the air, and being able to control the fluid inside people's bodies.

I was thinking about what that meant for the 4 elements and how utterly unbalancing that would be. If it was possible. I reasoned that it would not be able to be done from a distance because of the strength of the technique, but they were blood bending each other from great distances! UNSTOPPABLE. It's a good thing for the plot that Katara can only do this on a full moon. Otherwise there wouldn't be much of a fight the bad guys could put up.

Implications: She could essentially stop the flow of blood to your heart or BRAIN. She doesn't even had to control your limbs to commit suicide. She could kill you right where you stand!

This is the pinnacle of water bending.

This has been an interesting season in terms of development of powers...

Fire Bending:
Combustion Man (good GOD... WHY that name?) can pull off some interesting attacks. And I thought Azula wielded the ultimate power with lightning. Maybe they will take it even further and the fire lord will wield super heated nuclear fusion plasma! Actually, that's probably it for fire bending... hope I'm wrong!

Earth Bending:
Hmm... if Toph can bend the basic earth elements found in metals then there's no reason she shouldn't be able to bend those same elements if they are found in anything else. Including the human body. She could potentially do the same things Katara can. Chances are "metal bending" is the pinnacle of what she'll be capable of though.

Air Bending:
If Aang can disperse gases, then maybe he'll be able to create vacuums. Imagine creating a pocket vacuum around someone. It would be like throwing someone out into space. Not pretty. At the very least he should be able to make people suffocate. Doesn't seem as though he'll be learning any advanced air-bending techniques from anyone though. Should be enough for him to just get better at getting his but into the avatar state without making himself lighting bolt bait.

Son of Ursa and Fire Lord Ozai,
Prince of the Fire Nation,
and heir to the throne!
Crystal Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

-A One Girl Revolution-

« Reply #27 on: Oct 25, 2007 08:20 pm »

Wow....That episode was intense....VERY intense...I was freaking out by the end of it...

Great episode though, well animated and extremely well written. It scared the crap outta me once it was over though, I couldn't help but shiver as Hama got taken away. She scared me to death as well as the whole "blood bending concept"....Creepy..... But makes for a good episode Cheesy

-Sig by the awesome Dark Phazon of the SRB fourm-
High Elemental
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Searching for My True Steak

« Reply #28 on: Oct 25, 2007 08:24 pm »

Anybody also notice that Hama actually won? She did accomplish what she was trying to do after all.

candycane
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I think...I've become a shipper!

« Reply #29 on: Oct 25, 2007 08:24 pm »

This episode was great. The implications of bloodbending are great. I wonder how Kat will use it...

The many looks of Zuzu
Keeper of:
The nickname Zuzu, Zuko's metamorphosis, Jet's messed up childhood, Sokka's tears
zaphyrai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

According to him, I'm beautiful, incredible!

« Reply #30 on: Oct 25, 2007 08:45 pm »

you'd think Hama would know katara would use the ability against her...but maybe that IS what she was planning all along. to corrupt an innocent child...blegh. she gives me the heebie jeebies.

Anyway, great GREAT episode! they really should have aired this on halloween night. it would've given me goosebumps.

iKeep: Katara's laughter and Aang's air marbles ^_^
High Elemental
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Searching for My True Steak

« Reply #31 on: Oct 25, 2007 08:46 pm »

you'd think Hama would know katara would use the ability against her...but maybe that IS what she was planning all along. to corrupt an innocent child...blegh. she gives me the heebie jeebies.

Anyway, great GREAT episode! they really should have aired this on halloween night. it would've given me goosebumps.
That was her plan all along, I think it would have been even creepier if Hama had this big grin on her face when Katara bended her instead of shocked suprise.

Amber
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Toph Rulz

amber18_02@hotmail.com
« Reply #32 on: Oct 25, 2007 08:48 pm »

This episode was awesome!!
I love Hama as a villain, that old lady was crazy, it was sad to see how she ended up after all the things sha has gone through...
Wow, Bloodbending!! Now I really love waterbending, I never thought I was going to see that in the show, though I always saw it as a possibility for waterbending
This was a very dark and creepy episode, must say it's one of the best in this season, with "The Avatar and the firelord" and "Sokka's Master"

ToughToph
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Leaves from the vine............Secret tunnel!

« Reply #33 on: Oct 25, 2007 08:53 pm »

Freaky as Hell episode. The best part is that it's almost 10:00 p.m. and I have to go to bed in the dark..alone...yeah.

Bloodbending is something I can't even believe. Major Creativity. extremly well written and animated

10/10

Katara keeps the Southern Water tribe technique alive Grin evil
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2007 09:44 pm by ToughToph » Logged

Sadly my signature is not longer working. It was Death Note and it was so cute and I am so hurt because i've had it for so many years.

I keep Aang airbending in the opening sequence of The Legend of Korra and Mako\'s trademark cool under fire style
Innisfree
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"You carry the weight of us all, little one.'

Freebyrd+1500
« Reply #34 on: Oct 25, 2007 09:07 pm »

Seriously, these kids could take out the X-men if they had too----sheesh!

I agree with the whole---ok so where does this leave airbending?---what freaky and twisted  way could we make it MORE INTENSE?
(toph's got metal, azula's got lightning, now katara's got blood)

Yea the vaccuum thing is interesting.

Maybe he could bend all the gases in the atmosphere.....or the air in our lungs and we all esssplode!

Ok, it's been a long day...midsemester exams....class......tired....*sigh*

But, dang!  This show kicks!

Grin

I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree...
...for always night and day,
I hear the lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements gray,
I hear it in the deep heart's core.

--W.B. Yeats
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ADORABLE!! <3333

« Reply #35 on: Oct 25, 2007 09:10 pm »

Oh this is so going to give me nightmares is not even funny. This episode was so heart-stopping, thilling, can't believe it, episode. It's so incredible awesome and scary at the same time. I was watching it with all the lights out and when I saw one part I immedialty turn my lights in. Is so scary you will get scare. At the end it was so sad. I can't belive it. I give it a 10/10

Keeper of: Aang shirtlessness, Firebending Harmony in FM, Aang blindfolded & Aang walking away from the play
orcacam07
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #36 on: Oct 25, 2007 09:12 pm »

That was so freaking scary at the end.

"Congratulations Katara, you are now a Bloodbender."

*Cue crying and end credits*

O.o

Amber
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Toph Rulz

amber18_02@hotmail.com
« Reply #37 on: Oct 25, 2007 09:16 pm »

Yeah, I agree that the old woman was planing Katara to bloodbend when she got Sokka and Aang to attack eachother
That woman is creepy, though her story is somehow sad

umeko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Diet Otaku, you are indeed brilliant :)

« Reply #38 on: Oct 25, 2007 09:37 pm »

Definitely a Halloween episode. It's got the ghost story vibe to it, and Hama was creepy. My only gripe was that it was pretty obvious she was behind the disappearances, and I guess I can only fault myself in saying I saw the whole using-water-in-the-body thing (the name blood-bending is so badass though) coming, because of theories and spoilers Wink. Anyway, great episode, but where's Zuko, Iroh, Azula, etc. gone to? I miss them!

Apparently I'm not a horrible writer Wink
ToughToph
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Leaves from the vine............Secret tunnel!

« Reply #39 on: Oct 25, 2007 09:41 pm »

My favorite scene was when Katara was crying and then she began to take very REALISTIC breaths and she gained strength....the pleasure I got from seeing that was priceless.

P.S- Does a solar eclipse give Katara the same strenth as a full moon? If it does the fire nation is going down!

p.s.s.-Did the Old Lady know that Aang was the avatar? I don't think so because she was going to kill him and Sokka.

*Thanks avatar209*
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2007 09:52 pm by ToughToph » Logged

Sadly my signature is not longer working. It was Death Note and it was so cute and I am so hurt because i've had it for so many years.

I keep Aang airbending in the opening sequence of The Legend of Korra and Mako\'s trademark cool under fire style
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #40 on: Oct 25, 2007 09:54 pm »

This episode is wonderfully done! The mood, lighting and music was well crafted.

You can't help but notice that Katara seems to acquaint with people who have gone rogue. First was Jet, now is Hama. You also can't help but sympathise with them. They lost their homes, their loved ones, everything they held dear. I don't see Hama as a villian. She's just misguided and living in the Fire Nation for decades could have contributed to her "insanity". Just love how the show portrays that everyone's all grey. They aren't purely black or white.

Seeing the past and the SWT in its full glory answered some questions and raised new ones as well.

The prison scenes sent chills down my spine. Being chained and isolated from the World's scary. I like how they make the cartoon not always having a cheerful, happy, fairy-tale like environments. It adds in real life elements that people can relate with.

Katara... With great power, comes great responsibility. We know she will use her new found abilities wisely. Besides, she can only blood-bending under the influence of a full Moon.

Another job well done.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
w4t3rb3nd3rb01
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

waterbending ^_^

« Reply #41 on: Oct 25, 2007 09:54 pm »

that episode was so good, yet so sad..

i loved the waterbending parts of it.  it confirmed many theories that people have had about waterbending (plants, blood, thin air).

i think that they made Hama change too quickly; one second she's a nice grandmother figure, the next she's a demented witch bent on corrupting a young waterbender..

i think it would have been epic if pakku showed up at the moment xD too bad.. we'll have to wait until another episode for that to happen

i think that katara's waterbending, though very cool, has gained too quickly.. i mean, in season one she could barely waterbend, and by season two, she can beat azula, and now in a few episodes, she can defeat a more experienced waterbender at her own tricks in a matter of minutes!

all in all, still a good episode.  darker than most other ones though.

10 xD

kataang. tokka/sukka.  anthing but zutara >_>
LadyRanee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #42 on: Oct 25, 2007 10:00 pm »

Anybody also notice that Hama actually won? She did accomplish what she was trying to do after all.

That was her plan all along, I think it would have been even creepier if Hama had this big grin on her face when Katara bended her instead of shocked suprise.

In the US, I think this episode will air next Friday, two days after Halloween, so it fits in the Halloween timeframe.

I think Hama was trying to teach Katara how to Bloodbend not only to pass this knowledge on but in order to get back at the Firebenders, even though the people she imprisoned weren't the actual Firebenders who took her away from the Southern Water Tribe. And yea, despite Katara's initial refusal to learn how to Bloodbend, she did it in order to save her brother and Aang. Just what Hama wanted.

I think it's really interesting to see how wars do affect people.  You assume that Waterbenders are good people and that the Firebenders are the evil ones, but really, it doesn't matter what side you're on but maybe, what your actions are.

Katara... With great power, comes great responsibility. We know she will use her new found abilities wisely. Besides, she can only blood-bending under the influence of a full Moon.

We don't know that yet, do we? Maybe I missed that detail, but Hama could only Bloodbend during the full moon (right?), and since Katara is more powerful, and especially since she learned it instantly, she'd be able to Bloodbend without the full moon.

Rango
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I lol'd.

« Reply #43 on: Oct 25, 2007 10:02 pm »

SCARIEST. VILLIAN. PERIOD.

Hama made Azula look like a kitten.

That was a perfect Halloween episode.

Hama resembling a witch so much, the ghost stories, BLOOD BENDING.

CREEPY YET EPIC WIN/10
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #44 on: Oct 25, 2007 10:06 pm »

This episode did leave one question. Is it possible to take the water out of the human? It probably is possible, but it would be very disgusting to see a person shriveled up like that.
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2007 10:09 pm by avatar4ever » Logged
candycane
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I think...I've become a shipper!

« Reply #45 on: Oct 25, 2007 11:02 pm »

It was cool watching The Puppetmaster at night with a full moon so close to Halloween.

So far we've had villains from all the nations except the Air Nomads...

The many looks of Zuzu
Keeper of:
The nickname Zuzu, Zuko's metamorphosis, Jet's messed up childhood, Sokka's tears
UberCreep
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Sean+Suppish
« Reply #46 on: Oct 25, 2007 11:12 pm »

Koh checks under his bed in case Hama is there.

She is brilliant, I'll give her that.  But I guess her creepiness cancels that out.  Then the puppets she has and her haunting method of corrupting Katara just adds to the "OhMyGodShesOneScaryM.." meter.

tophsecret21
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

WATCH OUT! THAT CHICK'S GOT A...HAIRBRUSH?

« Reply #47 on: Oct 25, 2007 11:21 pm »

Alright, I know I'll just be adding to the dozens of comments before me, but I have to say that this is by far the biggest development in the show period, and i'm not talking about the story or the characters, though I'm sure we'll definitely see the implications play out sometime in the future...Nightmares and Daydreams anyone? Undecided What has truly developed is the show itself, I mean BLOODBENDING!!, I know they said this episode was going to be dark, and it definitely could have been played even worse with the blood, but honestly this episode was downright freaky, of course I am writing this at around midnight. Roll Eyes I watch this show with my little brothers because it's a show that seems appropriate for all ages, I enjoy it, they enjoy it, and there has never been anything shown as explicitly as this, even when Jet, um, passed. I apologize for the long drawn out rant, I'm not saying that no one should watch this, if anything I myself love this development and this would be one of the first episodes I'd recommend to anyone interested in the show, good pace and build-up, amazing developments, and a villain that could literally make your blood run cold, 10/10 any day of the week! (But for the little kids, maybe just a bit much. This is definitely no season 1!!)
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2007 11:34 pm by tophsecret21 » Logged

Keeper of the Two-Headed Fish and the Combustion Man\'s Ravenhawk.
Randir
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #48 on: Oct 25, 2007 11:48 pm »

Ok, this was an episode that creeped me out and I loved every second of it. This is by far, one of the best episodes in the series. For a while now my Avatar friends and I have been wondering if waterbenders can bend the water in people, and the writers not only came up with it too, but took it to a much cooler and darker level...bloodbending! I have to say, Katara having this dark power now, kind of makes me think it will make her separate from Aang more and move towards Zuko. I am a Zutara all the way, I am always trying to find angles that will support that belief.
huntgrav
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Long live the GIF

« Reply #49 on: Oct 25, 2007 11:59 pm »

ugh! I HATE GETTING THE EPISODES EARLY AND I REALLY HATE BEING ABSOLUTLEY INCAPABLE OF CONTROLLING THAT IRRESISTABLE URGE TO WATCH THEM IMMEDEATLEY!!!
anways, about the episode...
this wasnt just a filler. katara will definatley use it later.
also, anyone wonder why the villagers didnt seem to care that katara was a waterbender? i mean, hama(or whatever her name was) yelled out "you're a blood bender!" and no one seemed to care.
also, i will quit avatar if there is no kataang in these first 10 episodes. the headband was the only kataang we got, and while it was nice, it wasnt as to the point as i was hoping.

\\\"Spirit water is for series regulars only.\\\"
keeper of Cabbage Man\\\'s relative\\\'s freestyle dance in \\\"The Headband\\\"
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: