Dec 17, 2017 12:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate the episode
10 - 450 (58.4%)
9 - 186 (24.1%)
8 - 71 (9.2%)
7 - 32 (4.2%)
6 - 14 (1.8%)
5 - 4 (0.5%)
4 - 5 (0.6%)
3 - 3 (0.4%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 6 (0.8%)
Total Voters: 755

Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [308] The Puppetmaster  (Read 71119 times)
Unbridled Joy of Flight
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Oct 24, 2007 08:30 pm »

Short description: Special Halloween episode. The kids investigate mysterious disappearances in a spooky town. Katara makes a special connection.

We're opening this up to discussion by people who have viewed the episode.  If you have not viewed the episode, DO NOT POST HERE.  If you have seen it, fire away!
« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2007 09:36 am by Acastus » Logged
RMS Oceanic
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2007 06:59 pm »

An awesome episode. Katara is forced to use the dark side, and vengence is never pretty.

This is the most disturbing use of any bending so far established in canon.
VinLieger
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2007 07:06 pm »

Very impressed with this one. I really cant wait to see how being forced to use Blood Bending affects Katara.
Also it seems with the moon on her side Katara is the most powerful waterbender alive which we all guessed but nice to have it confirmed
Redthorn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Dracarys! Freedom! DRACARYS!"

« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2007 07:09 pm »

I liked it (although the mood whiplash from the mostly-comedic "Runaway" was severe, and ....what's going on with Zuko?! Info please!) but the ending struck me as another case of "Let's be as conspicuous as possible." Now, those rescued townsfolk might be very grateful to the kids for the rescue, but they saw Toph use Earthbending and they know Katara is a waterbender -- and a bloodbender, even. Hama came right out and told them all.   

Really, the kids are leaving a trail a mile wide.  They're going to have NO element of surprise left when they reach the capital. Everyone and their little dog will know they're coming.

Also, I hope Sokka gets Hawky back. I liked Hawky.

VinLieger
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2007 07:11 pm »

Bring back hawky
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2007 07:24 pm by VinLieger » Logged
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2007 07:16 pm »

Possibly the darkest episode ever. It was sad to see how the waterbenders disappeared one by one and great continuity showing the Fire Nation ship. It was definitely sad also to see Kanna and Hama's tearful goodbye. I can understand Hama becoming that way. We saw what happened to Jet, what happened to Hama was much worse. Taken from everyone she loved, her fellow waterbenders being taken out and being imprisoned in a cage and treated like an animal. It was definitely understandable that she would end up like that.

VinLieger that was the episode before this one called The Runaway.
Always and Never
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

What an amazing lie that is...

xX_scizor_Xx@hotmail.com FoxyGramps5543
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2007 07:18 pm »

I don't like how Kitara learned Bloodbending within a few minutes. I mean, she's not a prodigy or anything, so does that mean if another waterbender saw her bloodbending would they learn just as fast?

And what is happening with Zuko, Iroh and gang?! I miss them ;_;

But really, this episode was as creepy as they were saying. I mean the whole, "People are under the mountain screaming!" scenario freaked me out.
UberCreep
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Sean+Suppish
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2007 07:22 pm »

I don't like how Kitara learned Bloodbending within a few minutes. I mean, she's not a prodigy or anything, so does that mean if another waterbender saw her bloodbending would they learn just as fast?

And what is happening with Zuko, Iroh and gang?! I miss them ;_;

But really, this episode was as creepy as they were saying. I mean the whole, "People are under the mountain screaming!" scenario freaked me out.
She learned bloodbending quicker since it was easier to perform under the full moon.

RMS Oceanic
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2007 07:25 pm »

I think it was a subconscious thing. Benders are capable of great bending feats usually beyond them when under duress or extreme stress, like Katara smashing that iceberg. Katara saw the only way to stop Sokka stabbing Aang was by stopping Hama, and the only way to do that was to bloodbend. I think she did it out of desparation, rather than practising.
High Elemental
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Searching for My True Steak

« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2007 07:25 pm »

One thing I really give Book Three is that the new villains are freaking awesome. Grin Both Combustion Man and Hama are hardcore, one blows things up with his mind, the other bends blood. This episode was great and I must say after the terrible episode that "The Beach" was Book Three is really picking up, I love it.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2007 07:57 pm by High Elemental » Logged

Always and Never
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2007 07:27 pm »

I remember when the puppets fell out of the little slot in the hallway. I thought, "No! That's why they called it the puppetmaster?!"

But good thing that wasn't the reason.
UberCreep
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Sean+Suppish
« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2007 07:29 pm »

Maybe she used those puppets to practice?

Creepy.

ibec
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2007 07:31 pm »

Nice and scary tone for the entire episode. Controlling people is the ultimate bending!
Katara will sure use this agains Sozin's Angels for sure. Loved the little jokes.
rate 10

Keeper of Zuko entire Wardrobe, Aang flute, FN War Balloon, Zuko Laughter Cheesy
Always and Never
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2007 07:34 pm »

*Cough* Ozai *cough*

I don't tihk Kitara will ever use it again. She'll be haunted by the temptations, but it sems unlikely.
candycane
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I think...I've become a shipper!

« Reply #14 on: Oct 25, 2007 07:36 pm »

If Katara never uses her new ability it would be a waste...

The many looks of Zuzu
Keeper of:
The nickname Zuzu, Zuko's metamorphosis, Jet's messed up childhood, Sokka's tears
Girher
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Proud Supporter of Tokka and Kataang,

« Reply #15 on: Oct 25, 2007 07:37 pm »

Let me put it this way: IT ROCKED! Creepy and the perfect episode for Halloween.

Sig made by Frozen

I'm a GIRL!

Keeper of Sokka's Nunchaku skills, Sokka's FN outfit, and Toph's EK hat, and Toph's reinforcements - No stealies XD
Weapon Master of the Chainsaw
  -avvie made Dax -
Dark_Dragon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Oct 25, 2007 07:40 pm »

Totally loved it! This has got to be one of the best episodes they've had so far...

The producers certianly weren't kidding when they described this as a darker episode Shocked.

Blood-bending *shivers uncontrollably* creepy

I live in the land between friutcake anf genius, where true originality comes from :p
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #17 on: Oct 25, 2007 07:41 pm »

*Cough* Ozai *cough*

I don't tihk Kitara will ever use it again. She'll be haunted by the temptations, but it sems unlikely.

I'm pretty sure she'll use it again. It will probably be very much like Aang having to use firebending.
Always and Never
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #18 on: Oct 25, 2007 07:47 pm »

GREAT point. Yeah, she'll have to use it, but I know it's only gonna be once more.
Wraith
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The Face-Stealer

« Reply #19 on: Oct 25, 2007 07:48 pm »

This was by far one of THE BEST episodes. The creepy tone perfectly underscored the profound sense of wrongness that Blood Bending gives, and the ending was absolutely great. Hama's tricking Katara into Blood Bending was really just beyond words... And Katara just has this look of absolute horror when she realizes what she's done. She even looks like she's about to be sick...

As for how she picked it up so easily, you'll note all she did was immobilize Hama, not move her around. Hama did the exact same thing the first time she experimented with Blood Bending in the rats. Once you know about the technique, you can use it, but with any form of bending, it takes practice to refine and manipulate...

And as to whether she will ever use it again... It would have to be under extreme duress, but I wouldn't put it past her. If the choice is to not Blood Bend or use it to, say, prevent Azula from hitting Aang with lightning again? Yeah... Its not something she'd be happy to use, but when worst comes to worst, what choice would she have?
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2007 07:51 pm by Wraith » Logged

"What?! Everyone's THINKING it!"

- Sun Warrior on Zukaang Subtext

Keeper of:
- Firelord Ozai's 'Royal Parts'
- Azula's Divine Right
- Roku and Sozin's Tragic Man-Love
- Toph's "Madame Fussy-Britches"
RMS Oceanic
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: Oct 25, 2007 07:51 pm »

Not really. There's a great need, both physically and cosmically, for Aang to learn firebending, so he had to forgive himself and learn. This is a particularly nasty subset of waterbending, and Katara will probably make a similar vow, only there's nothing to force her to reneg on it. She was horrified at what she had done. She'll never do it again unless it is the absolute last resort. It's violating another person's body.
candycane
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I think...I've become a shipper!

« Reply #21 on: Oct 25, 2007 07:54 pm »

She'll probably use it on Zuko...he'd be all freaked out.  Grin

The many looks of Zuzu
Keeper of:
The nickname Zuzu, Zuko's metamorphosis, Jet's messed up childhood, Sokka's tears
Pictomancer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #22 on: Oct 25, 2007 07:56 pm »

So is this the Water Tribe villain? It was interesting to see how twisted someone could become through the war. These villagers were probably not involved in the the whole deal (directly, if anything) and here Hama was extracting revenge on them just because they were fire nation. She thought she had something to accomplish and wanted Katara to continue her work - but it was just aimless revenge. She's like a more twisted version of Jet.

Interesting to see how exactly the Southern Water Tribe's bending population was so reduced. Like in Imprisoned, instead of an all-out slaughter the army just tries to take away those who could effectively fight back.
MingUe
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

MingZula is Forever

« Reply #23 on: Oct 25, 2007 07:56 pm »

I am so loving that old lady.
Waterbender, crazy, was a hottie when she was younger...kills flowers and makes Katara cry.

Loving her ^_^

Why Edward Hates Blondes?

Avy by Tonnie & Sig by Electrimafried
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #24 on: Oct 25, 2007 07:56 pm »

It looks like it will be an absolute last resort later on. She'll probably use it against Azula and the girls if she is cornered in an area where there is absolutely no water.
Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: