Sep 21, 2017 10:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate the episode
10 - 209 (43%)
9 - 105 (21.6%)
8 - 108 (22.2%)
7 - 45 (9.3%)
6 - 12 (2.5%)
5 - 3 (0.6%)
4 - 1 (0.2%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 3 (0.6%)
Total Voters: 475

Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [307] The Runaway  (Read 44731 times)
MoreKilmer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #425 on: Nov 13, 2010 01:24 am »

I do not remember Azula being outclassed by Katara, but Avatar wikia seems to confirm it. I need to rewatch that episode. Regardless, that was at night, when Katara had the advantage. Still, it was a loss.

Another point to consider is that in their final battle against Combustion Man, they were far away and below. How could they really fight back from their position? If they were on even ground, things would have been different. The first time they met Combustion Man, they had no idea what he even was, it was late and they were tired. In the end, they ran away and suffered no major losses. In The Runaway, they ran again, suffered no losses, and even knocked Combustion Man off his feet (By chance, granted). In their last meeting, they were on lower ground, far away, and actually managed to kill him.
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #426 on: Nov 13, 2010 06:34 am »

They were on even ground in the runaway and combustion man still had the advantage. Aang was seconds away from death until katara attacked combustion man from behind. In the beach aang had three elements and was running for his life and barely escaped. In the western air temple zuko got the drop on combustion man and was tossed aside like a helpless child. With one hit he was blown of the cliffside. In a one on one situation very few people have a chance against him. But due to bad writing and the comet coming he had to go.   

Keeper of: Rebuilt Southern and Northern Water Tribes, The Earth Rumble VII, and Hama\\\'s Prison Cage.
The Pebble
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

EARTHBENDING STYLE

« Reply #427 on: Nov 13, 2010 11:42 am »

Lol at ty lee beating combustion man  azula, the she couldn't even beat suki, aang the fastest character in the series with three bending disciplines couldn't lay a finger on him what chance does ty lee have.

When Ty Lee faced Suki in "The Boiling Rock", Suki already knew about her fighting style, and once you know about her fighting style, it's easy enough to get out of the way.  But everyone has trouble with Ty Lee the first time, because they don't know what to expect.  And Ty Lee can move pretty darn fast, plus she's practically a contortionist.  I'm sure she could stay away long enough not to get blown up, and get close enough to give him a solid jab in the forehead.  Combustion Man has already proven that he would try to fire again anyway, so all she'd have to do is get out of there speedy-quick before she got caught up in the explosion.

Remember, Ty Lee even managed to take Azula down when she wasn't expecting it.  Surprise is one of Ty Lee's best friends.

Also, when Aang and company never really tried too hard to think of a way to take Combustion Man down.  Mostly, they were just trying to survive when fighting him.  If they'd thought about it, maybe they'd have figured out how to kill him, which might be how Sokka knew what to do, or that could've just been luck.  Once you know how to beat Combustion Man, then you've just gotta figure out how to hit him in the forehead, which is pretty simple when you've got a boomerang, an earthbender, or if you are Ty Lee.  xD

Granted, it would be harder to get close to a comet-powered Combustion Man.

I wonder how fast he can fire, exactly?  Like, how long does it take him to 'charge' his explosions?

I keep Teo's head bandage, Bato's burn scars, and Jet's treetop ziplines.
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #428 on: Nov 13, 2010 02:18 pm »

Guys, this isn't about The Runaway anymore, is it? Why don't you take it to some thread about Combustion Man?

There are plenty in World of Avatar, so just use the search function to find the one that fits best.
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2010 02:21 pm by NeeNee » Logged

IaCactusJuice
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #429 on: Nov 19, 2010 04:52 pm »

I love the Sokka Wang Faire in the carraige scam! Tongue
DoTheDwah
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Get in... I got caaandyyy...

michael_manley_426
« Reply #430 on: Nov 26, 2010 12:53 pm »

Am I the only one who thought that there was something Freudian in Sokka picturing Katara whenever he tried to think about what his mother looked like?

Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #431 on: Dec 10, 2010 04:14 pm »

Yeah, that bothered me. How can you forget yor mother face? It seems they needed something else to make katara look good.

Keeper of: Rebuilt Southern and Northern Water Tribes, The Earth Rumble VII, and Hama\\\'s Prison Cage.
TokkaFan41
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Flameo sir, Flameo.

« Reply #432 on: Dec 11, 2010 11:26 am »

Yeah, that bothered me. How can you forget yor mother face? It seems they needed something else to make katara look good.

I know right ? I mean I could never forgot my mom's face.

Keeper of Chit Sang's "Not me, I'm out. Let's roll baby.", The music played whenever someone said "The runaway" in 307.
---
Pants are an illusion and so is death. : )
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #433 on: Dec 12, 2010 02:11 am »

^ If you were very little and your motherly sister looks a lot like your mom, it's not so strange for the two to blend a little.

It's not that he couldn't remember his mother's face at all, just that it got mixed up with Katara's somehow. Which makes sense, given the above circumstances.
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2010 02:13 am by NeeNee » Logged

Toph13139
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Four for you, Glen Coco! You go, Glen Coco!

« Reply #434 on: Dec 12, 2010 03:16 am »

I liked how they showed more of Toph's and Katara's stormy relationship in this episode. Sokka is like the older, wise brother. Aang is the youngest one who always listen to mom. Toph is the rebellious girl, and Katara, of course, is the mother.

I would've liked to see some advancement with the relationship between Toph and her real mom. Not only in this episode, but throughout the entire series. The letter they sent in the end is a total loose end. We never knew if Toph's mom received it, and we don't know if she was present at Zuko's coronation as a special guest or something, I mean... She's the mother of a War Hero. And knowing all the angst with Zuko's and Katara's mom, I don't know why Toph's was ignored so bluntly...

Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #435 on: Dec 18, 2010 10:21 pm »

Honestly i still don't like this episode. This is pretty much a rehash of the chase and katara gets more praise and worship.

imazutaraian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

U lurv my tombstone!

« Reply #436 on: Dec 22, 2010 09:04 am »

Finally charecter develompment for Toph

Amazing Tokka

"Sokka! It's Sparky Sparky Boom Man!"

"Ya know I'm starting to think that name doesnt really fit..."

hahaha.. epic!
and I hope Hawky comes back cuz he was just awesome...

The ultimate Zuko fangirl! Smiley :p
NextFireBend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King Spider-Man.

« Reply #437 on: Dec 22, 2010 09:33 am »

Season 3 actually had good character developement for all of the gaang, except for Katara. Though, if it wasn't the Painted Lady, it was probably the Southern Raiders. Toph and Katara relationship developed here, and it was funny and cool.

Or he watches Glee idk.
LettuceLeaf
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

27!

« Reply #438 on: Dec 28, 2010 10:17 am »

Does the scene where Toph pretends to get run over by a cart remind anyone else of A Tale of Two Cities where the boy gets run over by a cart and the guy gives his father $?
Exiled Prince
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Save me, Studio Mir...

« Reply #439 on: Jan 11, 2011 11:23 pm »

I liked this episode. Who can't forget about Sokka's alter ego, Wang Fire? But, I kinda think this episode sends a bad message to the younger viewers. Teens pulling off scams against adults? Well, at least Katara was able to jump in and say that it was too much.

And all what I want to know is, what happened to Hawky?!

iKeep Sokka\'s quote:\"This is the kind of wacky time wasting nonsense I\'ve been missing!\"
Sig Wanted
DesertDweller
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #440 on: Jan 15, 2011 12:16 am »

Loved this episode, gave it a 9.  I just watch the first half over and over to see all the scams; I just crack up when Toph is pretending to be blind, or when after she smashes the bell off the stand she just grabs the guy's gold and walks away.

I felt like the world "motherly" came across a few too many times.  If there's one complaint about the Avatar series, it's that they tend to use the same terminology or phrases multiple times in the same minute (they do it also with the phrase "I know I've made some mistakes in the past").  Aang and Sokka's attempts at reconciling the two girls soooo made up for it though. Smiley

jirakao
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #441 on: Jan 15, 2011 06:35 pm »

This episode really opened up Toph's personality. Yeah... the word 'motherly' might come up too often... but it makes Avatar have a great story... That's really why i love this series so much. Katara may seem a little annoying, always trying to stay safe, in Toph's "view." However, Katara is just giving out concern, just as Toph's mother would have... Maybe that's why Toph doesn't really listen to Katara that much, as she doesn't want to revert to being 'the obedient, blind, helpless girl' again...

However, at the end, the two were really able to bond.  Cheesy

Avatar the last Airbender in general, as you can see from this ep., shows that the world of Avatar is just like ours, plus the cool bending XD
kotor10
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #442 on: Nov 28, 2012 03:07 pm »

I liked how Toph just flat out told Katara, that she is just a kid like she is, she is not her mother, she had no right or business in ordering her and the others around, and that basically she doesnt have to listen to her if she doesnt want to, she could do whatever she wanted to. Which is all true, I think sometimes Katara forgotten at times in assuming the "Mother" role of the group that she really wasnt any of the Gaang's mother, she was just a kid like them, and sometimes she did come across as too bossy and ordering, and she needed to be reminded of that and be told that she has no authority in ordering them around like she tended to you, at least in this episode especially.
BloodbenderBeast
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I've lost my life in water tribe....

« Reply #443 on: Nov 27, 2013 02:51 pm »

That was so cute! So cute! I watched it in 20-30 times!

DoTheDwah
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Get in... I got caaandyyy...

michael_manley_426
« Reply #444 on: Nov 02, 2014 10:18 pm »

I just noticed a cute little detail on my latest viewing in which Toph's hair bun cushions her head when she flops down on the ground

Oh, and then there's Mr. "Scams Make Me Cross-Eyed Every Time!"

Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #445 on: Dec 31, 2014 01:13 pm »

Good episode. Toph's hijinks were really entertaining. I liked how even Aang and Sokka joined in. Those three make a good comedy trio. I also liked it when Sokka and Toph talked about Katara. The character dynamics are great. Also, it was good to see Combustion Man again. He is boring, but the fight scenes involving him are always kind of cool. I also liked Katara. She may be a wet blanket, but she makes a good team mom, even if she is a bit of a hypocrite.
Insane Elite
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #446 on: Jan 01, 2015 04:26 am »

After watching this episode, it's kinda ironic when you realize how Toph grew up to be Chief of Police XD
Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: