Oct 20, 2017 06:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate the episode
10 - 209 (43%)
9 - 105 (21.6%)
8 - 108 (22.2%)
7 - 45 (9.3%)
6 - 12 (2.5%)
5 - 3 (0.6%)
4 - 1 (0.2%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 3 (0.6%)
Total Voters: 475

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [307] The Runaway  (Read 45020 times)
The Pebble
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

EARTHBENDING STYLE

« Reply #400 on: Nov 10, 2010 10:02 pm »

Ah. Well, to be fair, Katara wasn't black-and-white set-in-stone right. I disagree with her. It wasn't making her perfect, because the whole thing is really debatable. They did need money. Appa probably would have ended up as Bison jerky if it wasn't for the armor, which was bought with Toph's money. I don't see how it made her seem godlike. If anything, it made her seem hypocritical, unreasonable, cocky* and stupid.**

He shows mourning for yue than his own mother.

What? He misses and mourned his mother. But that was years ago. He wouldn't mourn his mother's death for ~seven years straight with constant crying or something. He was young when he lost her, and I can understand not being able to remember her clearly, especially when someone else (Katara) took her role. My great aunt, whom I was very close to, died when I was around six, yet I can hardly remember how exactly she looks. That's understandable. Yue's death, however, was much more recent (maybe 2-4 months prior to that episode?), and pretty horrific since she died in his arms. That's more fresh in his mind. If you get a paper cut, you aren't going to start complaining about how you broke your arm a few years ago.

** Her not realizing that she and Toph were being used as bait for Aang, and then being *condescending to Toph when she realized that.

Quite good points, there.   Didn't think of any of that.

But you never forget what your mother looks like no matter whom takes over and i speak from experience. In the series exactly when did sokka mourn his mom? As for katara she can steal from pirates but scamming a con artist is a no no.

Well, Sokka was obviously sad that his mother's gone.  In 'The Southern Raiders' when Zuko brings it up, he says it's not a day he likes to remember, and he gets all serious.  Plus, most of his mourning was done off-screen and in the past, when his mother first died.  We just see Katara mourning it more, because she brings it up every five seconds.  Roll Eyes

And I wouldn't actually say that Katara's portrayed as Godlike, she just rarely faces the consequences of her wrong-doings.  She's never called out on anything, really, and yet she's constantly calling everyone else out.
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2010 10:05 pm by The Pebble » Logged

I keep Teo's head bandage, Bato's burn scars, and Jet's treetop ziplines.
MoreKilmer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #401 on: Nov 10, 2010 10:27 pm »

But you never forget what your mother looks like no matter whom takes over and i speak from experience. In the series exactly when did sokka mourn his mom? As for katara she can steal from pirates but scamming a con artist is a no no.

Like The Pebble said, it would be when he was younger. You can see that it hurts him to talk about it in The Southern Raiders (He's being serious. Sokka doesn't -do- serious).

"But you can't forgot what your mother looks like" is a very flawed statement. It is an absolute, it is speaking for others, there's not really anything backing it. However, since I am not speaking from experience, I personally wouldn't know. But, you've got to keep in mind that they don't have photos or videos he can go look at.

And about Katara, that's exactly what I'm saying. She isn't portrayed as godlike because we can see she is being hypocritical.
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #402 on: Nov 11, 2010 07:12 am »

I mean godlike as in always right and worshipped. I actually liked katara but as time went on she gets worse and worse. As for this episode i just disliked it, how exactly is toph developed character wise they just make her even more rude and obnoxious and at the end of the day it's just another katara episode.

Keeper of: Rebuilt Southern and Northern Water Tribes, The Earth Rumble VII, and Hama\\\'s Prison Cage.
The Pebble
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

EARTHBENDING STYLE

« Reply #403 on: Nov 11, 2010 10:28 am »

^ I get what you mean.  But she isn't always right, she's just never told when she's wrong.  Roll Eyes  I've never liked Katara.  I guess this episode kind of served a purpose, what with Katara and Toph's relationship being solidified or something.  *shrugs*

I enjoyed this episode for the scams and the first scene with Toph and Sokka and the wanted poster, and also Aang and Sokka's antics. 

Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #404 on: Nov 11, 2010 08:53 pm »

I only liked this episode because combustion man is an opponent they have actual trouble with.

Keeper of: Rebuilt Southern and Northern Water Tribes, The Earth Rumble VII, and Hama\\\'s Prison Cage.
The Pebble
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

EARTHBENDING STYLE

« Reply #405 on: Nov 11, 2010 08:58 pm »

Do you mean that as in it gave the episode a good fight scene/conflict, or do you mean that as in Combustion Man was a better opponent than most of the Gaang's other opponents?

Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #406 on: Nov 11, 2010 09:11 pm »

Actually combustion man is the best enemy they ever faced, but the fight scene wasn't that great.

The Pebble
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

EARTHBENDING STYLE

« Reply #407 on: Nov 11, 2010 09:25 pm »

I liked Combustion Man, too, but what makes you say he was the best enemy they ever faced?

I'm sure most people would put Azula in that spot.

Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #408 on: Nov 11, 2010 09:35 pm »

Can azula best season three aang, zuko, toph, sokka, and katara at the sametime?

The Pebble
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

EARTHBENDING STYLE

« Reply #409 on: Nov 11, 2010 10:16 pm »

Ah yes, this is a good point.

Although at that time (in The Western Air Temple), Toph couldn't walk/use her earthbending, and I'm sure if she could've, then Combustion Man wouldn't have lasted as long.  Plus, the Gaang doesn't seem to have mastered the concept of attacking at the same time (see all the times they've faced Combustion Man).  If they'd done that, it would've been easier to take down anyone.

MoreKilmer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #410 on: Nov 11, 2010 10:22 pm »

I'd say yes. Combustion Man's bonus was that they didn't know how to handle him. He was a surprise. Azula's bonus is that she is very calculated. Once she started having her breakdown, she lost her edge.

I'd count this as besting.
The Pebble
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

EARTHBENDING STYLE

« Reply #411 on: Nov 11, 2010 10:31 pm »

Also a good point.

Nearly all the villians had some sort of bonus.  If not they wouldn't have been considered threats.

Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #412 on: Nov 12, 2010 02:51 am »

But combustion man is by far the biggest threat and i do mean bigger than (zhao, long feng, ozai's angels, and ozai). Aang had an easier time fighting ozai with the comet than combustion man without it.

The Pebble
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

EARTHBENDING STYLE

« Reply #413 on: Nov 12, 2010 10:55 am »

There were different circumstances for each fight, though.  Aang was also enhanced by the comet when he fought Ozai, and he'd learned firebending by that time.  Plus, with Combustion Man, Aang was just running away and trying to survive for the most part when fighting him.

Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #414 on: Nov 12, 2010 01:04 pm »

Which pretty much seals the deal he couldn't effectively fight him. If you place combustion man in ozai's position during the finale with the comet aang would have a much harder time.

High Elemental
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Searching for My True Steak

« Reply #415 on: Nov 12, 2010 01:13 pm »

Combustion Man is an even bigger idiot than Ozai though, all Aang would have to do is chuck another rock at his forehead.

The Pebble
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

EARTHBENDING STYLE

« Reply #416 on: Nov 12, 2010 01:38 pm »

Indeed.  Combustion Man really needs to learn from his failures.   ...Although it's a little late for that.

Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #417 on: Nov 12, 2010 01:51 pm »

Do you really think aang would figure that out if it wasn't for sokka the gang would have died, aang is far from the best fighter and thinker. Say what you wan't but no other character had aang on the brink of defeat multiple times. Also how would aang hit his soft spot in a one on one situation under the comet, any attack aang did would be blown away.

MoreKilmer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #418 on: Nov 12, 2010 04:19 pm »

Azula pretty much had them on the run until the end. So, yeah, Azula had them on the brink of defeat multiple times. Combustion Man's skill isn't as great as her cunning. The only part that I can really think of the Gaang beating mentally stable Azula was in The Chase and in The Drill, though, knowing how sneaky Azula is, the latter probably was just as she had planned it and the former...I dunno....I can't think of any situation in which Azula might think that what happened there was a triumph.

For straight up fighting, Combustion Man wins I guess. But that's only if you don't know his weakness. Honestly though, I don't know who would win if it came down to Azula vs. Combustion Man. She's not too shabby herself, and obviously much more intelligent / quicker than Combustion Man. Either way, I wouldn't say he is the best overall villian.

And I dunno about Aang having an easier time fighting Ozai. He never really FOUGHT Combustion Man. He mostly ran and hid. Even when he fought, he hid. Ozai nearly killed Aang, crock pot style.

Both Azula and Combustion Man had them on the run. The difference is that, while Combustion Man was just sort of blindly chasing them (Kudos for the trap he laid in The Runaway, but that tiny plan was just a dent compared to the crater of Azula's plans), Azula generally led them on.

Ooooh man. Comet powered combustion man. That's thought is...horrifying...
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #419 on: Nov 12, 2010 07:39 pm »

^But azula got worked by katara in a one on one, combustion man took on one of her most powerful attacks with ease. What makes azula the better villian is they gave her personality and didn't even allow combustion man to speak. As for azula vs. combustion man he owns her hard the entire gang had trouble with him. On to ozai aang was halfassed fighting aang wasn't really trying to hurt him. Versus combustion man he couldn't get a clear hit on him, now add the comet to the situation aang needs the avatar state badly.

The Pebble
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

EARTHBENDING STYLE

« Reply #420 on: Nov 12, 2010 08:02 pm »

Don't get me started on that fight between Katara and Azula.  ...The one in the finale anyway.  I'm completely of the opinion that Zuko should've been the one to take Azula down.

Anyway, Combustion Man just blocked the ice, it shouldn't even have been able to work completely.  The entire gaang also had trouble with a sane Azula.  Azula actually gets on my nerves because she's so unbeatable.  I find it hard to have sympathy for her in the end.  Combustion Man, on the other hand, is made of pure awesome.

And yeah, I'm not really contributing much to the discussion am I?  xP

MoreKilmer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #421 on: Nov 12, 2010 09:47 pm »

^But azula got worked by katara in a one on one, combustion man took on one of her most powerful attacks with ease. What makes azula the better villian is they gave her personality and didn't even allow combustion man to speak. As for azula vs. combustion man he owns her hard the entire gang had trouble with him. On to ozai aang was halfassed fighting aang wasn't really trying to hurt him. Versus combustion man he couldn't get a clear hit on him, now add the comet to the situation aang needs the avatar state badly.

I put 'Mentally stable Azula'. That means pre-breakdown. When she was crumbling, of course she lost. She couldn't think straight. She was full-blown unleashed tearin' the floor up crazy. And I wouldn't call having a huge fight and nearly killing a skilled firebender and then giving a nigh-master of waterbending a run for her money before being chained down in a moment of distratction as "worked".

Combustion man took on Azula or Katara's most powerful attacks? I'll assume you are referring to Katara, since I can't think of any time Azula met Combustion Man. What most powerful attack?

Combustion man not speaking WAS his personality. XD And Azula's personality isn't entirely what made her a great villain, though the fact that she can be sympathized with helps (at least, I can sympathize with her). What makes her a great villain is that she is dedicated, manipulating, intelligent, cunning, and extremely skilled. She plans ahead, knows how to mess with people's minds, and knows how to carry out the job (or twist some arms and get someone else to do it, sometimes unknowingly). She had it all planned out before her meltdown. She's like the Ben Linus of Avatar. The ultimate villain, in my opinion.

"He owns her hard" is a pretty weak way to counter what I've said. How would he do so? Azula is really light on her feet.  If they faced off, I would think she would be able to dodge his explosions (The Gaang did, and she is more acrobatic than they are) for long enough until she figured out his weakness (it honestly should be quite obvious, I'm surprised the Gaang didn't get it sooner), and from there she could exploit it.

But! If both of them are comet-powered, Combustion Man would win hands down, because I don't think Azula would figure out how to combat him in time. His explosions would be...insane. Undodgeable, probably. Yeah, he'd win comet-powered.

Not trying to hurt Ozai? He wasn't trying to KILL Ozai, but I doubt he was restraining himself that much. You don't think Aang was just letting Ozai nearly bake him, do you?

Oh, and this.

He sorta got his butt whupped there. Yes, he exploded himself, but that wouldn't have happened if A: Toph hadn't launched the boulder and B: He hadn't been SO AMAZINGLY STUPID. Seriously, the reason that he doesn't speak might not be because he is so bada** but because he is mentally incapable of forming sentences. Dude 'sploded himself. Twice. They ran away, yeah. But they always ran from Azula. The only time (Before the finale) they didn't run from her was when her bending was gone, and even then things still went her way.
The Pebble
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

EARTHBENDING STYLE

« Reply #422 on: Nov 12, 2010 10:28 pm »

I still stand by the statement I made in another thread.

Ty Lee could pwn Combustion Man.

(Also, I agree with everything you've said, MoreKilmer.  ...Just can't think hard enough to come up with it on my own.  xP)

MoreKilmer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #423 on: Nov 12, 2010 11:46 pm »

^ Hahah. I agree with that statement.  Grin
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #424 on: Nov 13, 2010 12:35 am »

You asked me how combustion man would beat azula, the same way he pawns everything else. By simply launching an attack that gave four high level benders trouble at the sametime. Lol at ty lee beating combustion man she couldn't even beat suki, aang the fastest character in the series with three bending disciplines couldn't lay a finger on him what chance does ty lee have. As for azula remember cod katara owned her and zuko had to save her. Even if combustion man was stupid having the gang in season three on the brink of defeating and pretty much useless is a massive achievement.

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: