Dec 17, 2017 05:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate the episode
10 - 209 (43%)
9 - 105 (21.6%)
8 - 108 (22.2%)
7 - 45 (9.3%)
6 - 12 (2.5%)
5 - 3 (0.6%)
4 - 1 (0.2%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 3 (0.6%)
Total Voters: 475

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [307] The Runaway  (Read 45477 times)
zarrah-chan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #25 on: Oct 26, 2007 12:25 am »

TOPH KATARA BONDING = win. It's nice to see that these girls have a different side they show each other. It was touching, and it really amped up the BEST FRIENDS FOR LIFE theme from The Avatar and the Fire Lord.

Sokka = great comedian + awesome brother.

Katara, I'd hate to have her as a mom, but after what Sokka said, its totally understandable, beacuse her way of mourning is by being motherly. (My friend lost her mother and she's exactly the same way). And I was thinking about how they could have written this differently, and I was glad that the writers chose not to make it a flashback to show Katara's reason why she's motherly---but rather a simple conversation between toph and sokka. (plus TOKKA is love)

Anyone else thinkin "DAVID AND GOLIATH" when Toph threw that pebble in SPARKY BOOM's forehead?

I liked Hawky.
RoMaHazz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Avvie by EndlessFlame55. Thanks a bunch!

« Reply #26 on: Oct 26, 2007 01:00 am »

Man, I was snagged from the very beginning ("Toph being captured?  And BETRAYED by KATARA???  WHAT THE HECK?!?).

And yeah, it pretty much grew from there.  Smiley  I was beginning to wonder if Toph would mention her parents again, and then to see her actually get emotional about it...well, I was touched.  And Katara being motherly...yeah, Toph nailed it right on the head there.  Cheesy

And the twist at the end with CM was great; I sure didn't see it coming.  And it seems as though he actually has a weak spot.  I hope the Gaang was taking notes; they may need to exploit that in the future.

...And, that's about all I have to say about this ep.  It was so simple, yet effective.

Keeper of: Toph's Fire Nation cape, Smellerbee's headband, Momo's peach, and Aang's sand sculpture of Appa
Whitelotus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Signature and Avatar made by Frozen!

« Reply #27 on: Oct 26, 2007 01:03 am »

I live in the US and was able to catch the episode online. I thought it was pretty much filler. No Zuko or Iroh. Which personally I think makes it filler. I liked finding out how they could fight SSBM (Sparky Sparky Boom Man) and Toph realizing about her parents and using Hawky to write to her parents. The only thing that might backfire is the fact the Hawky is a firenation messenger hawk. So I dunno, but that might not work out the best.

I liked the Katara and Toph stuff. Also the whole Sokka thinking as Katara as a mom kinda was cool, along with Katara bending her sweat. Other than that though, I thought it was kinda filler. I think the first whole half of each season isn't that interesting because normally Aang finds a master about halfwayish or a least comes to the big city, as in Ba Singe Se or the Northern Water Tribe. So I think mostly it's not going to be the best. The only good episodes so far in my Opinion were: Awakening, Sokka's Master, and The Avatar and The Firelord. But I think the season will speed up with the next few episodes (after the Puppetmaster.)

My Icon Shop
Keeper of Guru Pathiks Chakras Song,Tiny Zukos Cuteness,Tophs Space Earth Bracelet,and Yues Moon Powers
Ship Crack
The Big G
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The King of the Monsters

« Reply #28 on: Oct 26, 2007 01:39 am »

I thought it was good. Not as great as the Avatar and the Firelord but still good. I loved Hawky, i hope he comes back. The beginning was hilarious but then it kind of became like the Chase with the whole Toph and Katara thing. But CM came and kicked some butt.

Keeper of Ty Lee's Beach Towel
Vig0r
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

-Epicurus.

« Reply #29 on: Oct 26, 2007 01:42 am »

I live in the US and was able to catch the episode online. I thought it was pretty much filler. No Zuko or Iroh. Which personally I think makes it filler. I

No offence, but that possibly is the worst definition of 'filler' I have ever seen. Neither the Runaway, nor the Puppetmaster, or Sokka's Masters where fillers, they where essential to the plot.

In Sokka's Master, we got a lot of insight on Sokka's character, we learned more about the White Lotus Society, and we got to see buff Iroh.

In the runaway, we see some very crucial tension in the group. Without tension, the Gaang would just a gang of zombies. Nobody gets along perfectly. Also, they ran into Combustion man and Toph mailed her parents, which is kind of a huge deal for her.

In the Puppetmaster, Katara aquires a new skill. But more importantly, we see that even in the Water Tribe we have villains and heroes.

Anyways, back to the subject.

Did anyone else think that Momo and Hawky fighting was a nudge to the Pilot Episode? Zuko was supposed to have a hawk just like that, and that hawk was supposed to be "Momo's Nemesis". Funny how that works out, huh?

Don't fear god,
Don't worry about death;
What is good is easy to get, and
What is terrible is easy to endure.
Tyranno
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #30 on: Oct 26, 2007 01:49 am »

Brilliant episode.I was really startled when Combustion man walked into the room.I kinda liked Sparky sparky boom man better Tongue.The relationship with Sokka and Hawkie is comical and when they sent that note to Katara I couldn't stop luaghing.10/10
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2007 10:42 am by Tyranno » Logged
Rao Seng Pu Ting
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

aka 'Rasputin': the Mad Monk discovered Buddhism!

« Reply #31 on: Oct 26, 2007 02:17 am »

This was a fantastic little episode, in my opinion. Toph was overdue for some exposure and here we received it in spades, and even got some for Katara on the rebound. Toph's parent issues are a large part of why she joined Team Avatar in the first place, and that they're still affecting her now is very believable. The fight with Combustion Man was great, and I think it goes some way to rehabilitating the name in the eyes of unjustifiably peeved fans that it was a name Sokka gave him. He's smart, focused, and incredibly vicious. Plus, we got to see a smalllll glimpse of the masterpiece to come when Katara and Toph were trapped in a wooden cell (interesting, by the way, that wood doesn't count as 'earth', which makes sense considering it's a living thing...a more interesting connotation when you take the next episode into account).

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be" - Lao Tzu

Fan-Fiction:

Rao Seng Pu Ting's Book 3: Fire.

His Dream Of Skyland. AU. The Far East, June 1940.
trripper
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Be careful

« Reply #32 on: Oct 26, 2007 02:48 am »

Of course, the best part of the episode was seeing NAKED!Katara.  It makes me wonder if the final showdown will consist of Katara and Azula in a battle not of who is the best bender, but of who is the sexiest. I MEAN COME ON! Katara got her sexy new wardrobe, which was one-upped by Azula in the bedroom scene, which was in turn defeated by Katara and Aang's sexy dance. And then came The Beach, and Azula was on top again... Until now, that is.

SEASON THREE ON AVATAR, ITS THE BATTLE OF THE FANSERVICE, AND THERE'S NO TELLING WHO WILL WIN!

If it's a matter of sexiness, then Ty Lee will kill the Fire lord, and conquer all four nations by herself.

Ty Lee is hot!!!!!!!111111one
leech
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #33 on: Oct 26, 2007 03:19 am »

What impressed me most - Aang has developed the same sense of vybration as Torh has! That is so cool!

Keeper of:
Mai's "Just take the bear"
Iroh's "The secret ingredient is love"
Zuko's "I have changed"
Sokka's "Please accept this humble and tasty offering! Thank you"
Metal.Ikaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Go, Kataang! Go Tokka! *squeals*

« Reply #34 on: Oct 26, 2007 04:58 am »

A pretty good episode. A lot like The Headband, just not as funny Smiley

I loved the little Tokka, the Combustion Man Vs. Pebble scene and Aang fighting blindfolded! "Seeing" like that is just awesome Cheesy Oh, and Hawky. He was great too, i hope he`ll be back ^^

Chronic A.F.M. sufferer.
Khol
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #35 on: Oct 26, 2007 05:42 am »

Katoph bonding? Sparky Sparky Boom Man? Katara presumably naked in the river while listen to Toph and Sokka's conversation? Toph crying (oh you little tsundere you)? Hawky? Appa in charge?

Yeah, so this episode is pretty much WIN.

" Azutara is like the new Zutara. ...but Tyzula is still better. "
" Hm... 'Zutarian' sounds like an alien race. 'Tyzula' sounds like a giant monster that has it out for Tokyo."
" Exactly. Everyone loves giant, Tokyo-destroying monsters more than aliens. "
BeBo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Uncle Iroh owns xD

omgsh_its_jake@hotmail.com Junkfoot BrokenKitty
« Reply #36 on: Oct 26, 2007 05:48 am »

TEH NEW SHIPZORS KK? MOHAWKY LOOL. BEBO FOR THE WIN.

This was a really good episode. I like how Katara was the ''wet blanket," though she once said, "Stealing is bad... unless it's from pirates!" (Of course, she didn't say the scamming was something to NOT do, just something to NOT do a lot of.)
I wasn't really surprised that Toph getting caught was fake, though when she was put in a WOODEN cell, I thought Katara might have tipped them off.. just for a second, of course.
Oh, and sweaty stinky genius was gross. :/
Anyways, 10/10, awesome episode idea, good thing the group doesn't have a billion munnies all the time,
Hawky was cool - (MOHAWKY FOR THE WIN KK? ) - Sokka starting out "Oh, yeah.. she's pretty much a pain" then going to "So much strength.. took on a lot of responsibility," was cool too.
Yeah...

Keeper of Jeong Jeong's Fire Wall
and Piando's White Lotus Decor
Mvrck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #37 on: Oct 26, 2007 07:32 am »

A very very solid episode.  I love the allusion to getting armor crafted for Appa.  I have to say I was pretty surprised at the bathing? swimming? scene from Nick.  One thing to show Spongebob in his skivvies, another to show a teenage girl.  Ish?

A strong episode though.  I forsee the invasion plan being thwarted by the Gaang's lack of subltey for sure.  I really worry for Toph after this episode though.  Trying to set things right with her parents...right before a huge battle...  I just get a bad feeling about this.
bluspirit11211
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #38 on: Oct 26, 2007 07:50 am »

I loved "The Runaway", was it by coincidence that the rock struck Combustion man in his third eye, or was that somehow Toph's bending? I couldn't tell...

jb
BeBo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Uncle Iroh owns xD

« Reply #39 on: Oct 26, 2007 07:58 am »

I loved "The Runaway", was it by coincidence that the rock struck Combustion man in his third eye, or was that somehow Toph's bending? I couldn't tell...
Well, he blew up her rock - she continued running, so I suppose more a coincidence.

BeBo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Uncle Iroh owns xD

« Reply #40 on: Oct 26, 2007 09:49 am »

OMG THEY HAVE THE RUBY EYED MONKEY STATUE THING WTFFF
Watch the scene where Sokka hatches his master plan to get Toph and Katara friendly again.
When he gets his quill to write... THERE IT IS WTF LOL?

azekeprofit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

A picture is worth a thousand words

« Reply #41 on: Oct 26, 2007 10:16 am »

Watch the scene where Sokka hatches his master plan to get Toph and Katara friendly again.
Wow. Where did this monkey came from?.. What does it mean? Is it spying for White Lotus's grand master, Iroh, who after buying it from shop, animated it and turned it to his servant with magical tsungi horn song?..
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2007 10:19 am by azekeprofit » Logged

How Avatar is titled throughout the world:

PM if you see a mistake
BeBo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Uncle Iroh owns xD

« Reply #42 on: Oct 26, 2007 10:37 am »

Wow. Where did this monkey came from?.. What does it mean? Is it spying for White Lotus's grand master, Iroh, who after buying it from shop, animated it and turned it to his servant with magical tsungi horn song?..
Um...

nabusan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #43 on: Oct 26, 2007 12:42 pm »

Wow, Aang wasn't really acting too morally for most of this ep ^^ Even if they were only cheating a cheater. Sparky Sparky Boom Boom Man?!?! *dies* And wow, Aang's getting really tall and lanky now. His necks so long and teenage-ish! And his hair's growing:

And is it me, or has every Book 3 episode had someone topless in it? Fan service?!

And as for the monkey idol:
Om
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #44 on: Oct 26, 2007 01:15 pm »

Toph is absolutely amazing. This episode just reminded me of all the reasons I like her so much. I'm glad we're actually getting some critique of Katara sometimes the writers unintentionally make her seem like an oh so perfect character who can do no wrong these type of episodes ground her somewhat.

Plus Aang is shown to be training and I like it.

nabusan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #45 on: Oct 26, 2007 01:40 pm »

Aang's learning Toph's ability to listen, I love that. The Avatar's gonna be unstoppable at this rate. Just need to get Aang to learn Blood bending now.
ode2sokkla
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Don't Mess With The Princess

« Reply #46 on: Oct 26, 2007 02:04 pm »

I LOVED how Sokka talked about his mom. This is the first time the whole series he's mentioned her. At. All. I've been DYING to see him do that since "Jet". That alone made the episode on my top 5 list!

I ship: Sokkla, Tyko, and Taang
no one knows
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Who wants to touch me?

« Reply #47 on: Oct 26, 2007 02:12 pm »

i kinda like how aang and sokka are kinda bonding in the background. remember the first season when sokka didnt like aang, now their laughing together and making jokes and stuff
PeeTearGriffen
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #48 on: Oct 26, 2007 02:59 pm »

man this episode was badass because we do not get to see much of toph and katara doing some sisterly bonding.  One key thing that i love about this episode is how they keep forgetting that shes blind, 1" sokka shows toph the wanted poster of her and 2: katara then shows it at a different time and toph freaks out.

Something that came to mind bout Toph. Even though shes blind and cannot read and write, this only applys to ON PAPER. This still leaves room for her to learn to read and write if one of the Gaang (most likely katara) just writes the words ON THE EARTH. over time she would be able to understand letters and words if written on the soil...(BTW if this has been mentioned before forgive me)
Redthorn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Dracarys! Freedom! DRACARYS!"

« Reply #49 on: Oct 26, 2007 03:44 pm »

Something that came to mind bout Toph. Even though shes blind and cannot read and write, this only applys to ON PAPER. This still leaves room for her to learn to read and write if one of the Gaang (most likely katara) just writes the words ON THE EARTH. over time she would be able to understand letters and words if written on the soil...(BTW if this has been mentioned before forgive me)

I haven't seen it mentioned before and it's an interesting idea (particularly since Toph's "radar" might let her read at a distance, so she could be half a mile away and if she's listening right, she could "hear" the message as it was written.)

But it would only help her within the group or with other people who know to write in the dirt for her. It wouldn't help her at all with things like reading wanted posters.

If her parents had wanted to, they could have had an Earthbender maker her a set of "braille" characters using Earthbending on stone tablets so she could learn the characters. Then she could write messages on pieces of stone using her own Earthbending (if her Earthbending is capable of that kind of precise work.)  I get the feeling her parents weren't actually interested in exploring Toph's abilities, though -- they were focused on her disability.

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: