Sep 22, 2019 04:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [202] The Cave of Two Lovers  (Read 49751 times)
The Guru
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #375 on: May 14, 2012 04:04 pm »

I loved this episode especially the part where aang and katara where about to kiss!!!and the Oma and shu story was amazing:)
Hawkflame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Don't cross the Melon Lord

« Reply #376 on: Oct 20, 2013 11:36 am »

This episode didn't particularly impress me the first time around, but now watching it again, I have to say I rather enjoyed it. 

First of all, as a Korean I love that Song and her mother were dressed in hanbok and lived in a rather Korean style village.  You see a lot of chinese and Japanese cultural references on TV, but Korean is kind of rare outside of the show "Lost".  So to see Bryke draw on Korean culture there was kind of cool.  Kind of wished to see more of Song later on, though.  She opened Zuko's eyes more than any other one-off character, and I think this was a pretty important moment in his redemption, getting his first real appreciation of the pain the fire nation has caused. 

As for the main story, first of all I love it when Sokka's the voice of reason, and the hippies here play off of him perfectly.  Sokka's great on his own, but he's even better when there's a foil to undercut and frustrate him.  Meanwhile the whole Katara/Aang relationship here was played appropriately awkwardly, what with Aang trying to play it cool and totally bungling it up and making things worse. 

The ending really threw me for a loop the first time I saw it.  It's a really lighthearted episode, with these silly hippie characters, and then boom- Omashu under Fire nation rule.  Great cliffhanger.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #377 on: Oct 20, 2013 02:40 pm »

As for the main story, first of all I love it when Sokka's the voice of reason, and the hippies here play off of him perfectly.  Sokka's great on his own, but he's even better when there's a foil to undercut and frustrate him.

This is why Sokka is one of my favorite characters, ever. On the surface, he's the typical Complainer archetype, but they mess with the presentation by actually making him right most of the time, and the narrative supports it (even if the other characters don't). And yet it can still all be played for comedy that lets him keep his dignity. (Compare to his shenanigans in Book 3, when he was crawling into Appa's mouth to 'save' Momo.) His interactions with the Hippies here are among my favorite scenes for him, even though I'm fairly Meh on this episode as a whole.

Aang and Katara had a really nice kiss scene, though.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #378 on: Oct 20, 2013 02:59 pm »

I actually really love this episode. Maybe its just the Kataanger in me but something about this one makes it one of my favorites.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Hawkflame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Don't cross the Melon Lord

« Reply #379 on: Oct 20, 2013 11:19 pm »

As for the main story, first of all I love it when Sokka's the voice of reason, and the hippies here play off of him perfectly.  Sokka's great on his own, but he's even better when there's a foil to undercut and frustrate him.

This is why Sokka is one of my favorite characters, ever. On the surface, he's the typical Complainer archetype, but they mess with the presentation by actually making him right most of the time, and the narrative supports it (even if the other characters don't). And yet it can still all be played for comedy that lets him keep his dignity. (Compare to his shenanigans in Book 3, when he was crawling into Appa's mouth to 'save' Momo.) His interactions with the Hippies here are among my favorite scenes for him, even though I'm fairly Meh on this episode as a whole.

Agreed.  When you make the complainer *right* you add the humor of the frustration he feels when the others just don't get it, because part of you understands that frustration.

Avatar might be the only series where the goofball comic relief is also the show's voice of reason.  I mean, how often is Sokka actually wrong?  Yeah, he was wrong when he didn't believe Appa could fly, but that's all I could think of. 
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #380 on: Oct 21, 2013 01:54 am »

Mmm its the fact that he's a goofball but its kind of a goofball world too. Its not like shows where the comic relief seems naive or our of touch. Like in the finale when he says its somebody's birthday, and it actually is. If handled more poorly we'd probably be like 'oh Sokka what r u doing', but its set up as a world that rewards Sokka's attitude as much as the more serious characters.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #381 on: Oct 21, 2013 06:10 pm »

I dunno, it actually being someone's birthday is incidental to the whole thing. Sokka was already victorious when he got everyone to assemble in the bomb-bay. If anything, that scene shows what Sokka learned from his adventures: everyone besides him is an idiot. And he can count on it.

Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #382 on: Oct 21, 2013 06:15 pm »

If anything, that scene shows what Sokka learned from his adventures: everyone besides him is an idiot. And he can count on it.

I dunno, the birthday guy was probably right to believe it was all legit Cheesy
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #383 on: Oct 21, 2013 06:23 pm »

Wishful thinking has doomed many otherwise great people. Grin

BloodbenderBeast
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I've lost my life in water tribe....

« Reply #384 on: Dec 14, 2013 04:06 pm »

Phosphor.... a lot of Phosphor under the ground.... good idea.....

Invisible Ink
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #385 on: Mar 16, 2014 10:55 pm »

Tbh I kind of found it stupid when their names turned out to be Oma and Shu.. It was kind of cliche how that turned out to be the name of the city.. Since it was pretty obvious they named Omashu before they did it's back story in book two.. They were probably thinking they should of picked a city name that gave less weird names when taken apart Cheesy

Avatar is the animated version of Lost.. Smiley

Just kidding at least avatar had some structure of a story to go by as they were producing it. Wink

Things that seem separate and different are really one and the same.
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King of Heroes, Gilgamesh

« Reply #386 on: Mar 17, 2014 02:49 am »

Oma and Shu....are not weird names at all :/

From an American perspective maybe it is, but finding these names in Asia would not be so hard. My name is Levani, I bet you think of that as weird as well and I'm not blaming you. But Avatar is clearly set in the Asia world, so such names should not surprise you.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #387 on: Mar 17, 2014 05:26 pm »

I know at least two guys named Shu at work. "Oma" certainly doesn't sound out there, especially considering that "Omar" is not an uncommon name.

Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #388 on: Mar 18, 2014 04:09 am »

We had a "Shu" in Book 3 as well, that crazy shop guy.

And we have a lot of Omars in Georgia as well, but mostly they are the old generation. Names from Turkish origin are rare these days. Aand to be honest "James", "Rick", "Jo" and such are new and "strange" to me, because I assure you, only 5% of Georgian population is named like that Cheesy
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2014 04:13 am by Furudo Erika » Logged
guyw1tn0nam3
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Why are you so salty?

« Reply #389 on: Mar 18, 2014 07:09 am »

What's the prevailing theory about what happened when the lights go out? I always thought they didn't kiss but there was a flashback episode or something where Katara acted all coy about it, which throws it kind of in question.

I'm sorry. I can't hear you over the sound of salt spilling all over the kitchen table.
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #390 on: Mar 18, 2014 07:25 am »

Flashback episode? You mean... uhh, Ember Island Players?
guyw1tn0nam3
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Why are you so salty?

« Reply #391 on: Mar 18, 2014 08:04 am »

No. I think it could have just been a recap short that wasn't considered part of the series. But it was voiced by Katara.

I'm sorry. I can't hear you over the sound of salt spilling all over the kitchen table.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #392 on: Mar 18, 2014 04:52 pm »

No. I think it could have just been a recap short that wasn't considered part of the series. But it was voiced by Katara.

I think they made two of those- one narrated by Roku for Book Water, and the Katara one fore Book Earth. Naturally, us latecomers have never seen them.

What's the prevailing theory about what happened when the lights go out? I always thought they didn't kiss but there was a flashback episode or something where Katara acted all coy about it, which throws it kind of in question.

I have no doubt that they kissed. The blushing reactions after they got out of the cave convinced me.

Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #393 on: Jun 23, 2014 05:12 am »

I just got into this episode.

I've seen Atla so many times now that I think I know every scene and I have every line memorized Cheesy It's definitely not as fun as it used to when I was a kid, but it is still entertaining. After I'm done with the DVDs, I better not rewatch Atla for at least another year or two, but I don't think that would make me forget anything. Cheesy The reason I'm rewatching now is that I bought the DVDs for all 3 seasons and thought it would be a waste not to watch it.

One thing that I appreciate in Lok is that almost none of the episodes are stand-alones, they're all connected. In Atla, while they are wonderful episodes, there are a lot of "gang is there, we have a premise and a conclusion comes at the end." It's a fun style definitely, and helped with a lot of character development. But I think plot development is also important. This is why last 14 episodes of Book 2 and Book 3 are my favorites.

« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2014 05:25 am by Furudo Erika » Logged
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #394 on: Jun 23, 2014 06:20 am »

I have no doubt that they kissed. The blushing reactions after they got out of the cave convinced me.
if you look closely, Aang has his shirt buttoned up wrong, and they're wearing eachother's boots when the lights go back on.

Airbenders are quick. Not even Katara is sure what happened

keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
TyLuko4Ever
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am the solution.

« Reply #395 on: Jun 23, 2014 06:27 am »

One thing that I appreciate in Lok is that almost none of the episodes are stand-alones, they're all connected. In Atla, while they are wonderful episodes, there are a lot of "gang is there, we have a premise and a conclusion comes at the end." It's a fun style definitely, and helped with a lot of character development. But I think plot development is also important. This is why last 14 episodes of Book 2 and Book 3 are my favorites.

I believe the main reason for this difference is that ATLA takes place all over the world while LoK is restricted to Republic City. I don't think it would be an appropriate story telling style for LoK since you'd probably just get episodes isolating different parts of the city. For ATLA, it works perfectly and allowed us to see a good deal of the world and the differences (culture/people) between the nations. LoK seemed to me a more plot driven series while ATLA was more of a show-and-tell tale. I still love ATLA so much more, though.

Sig by Brush Bender
Keeper of: Ty Lee's "I know you" and Zuko's "Circus freak!"
My DA  My FFN
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #396 on: Jun 23, 2014 07:18 am »

I believe the main reason for this difference is that ATLA takes place all over the world while LoK is restricted to Republic City. I don't think it would be an appropriate story telling style for LoK since you'd probably just get episodes isolating different parts of the city. For ATLA, it works perfectly and allowed us to see a good deal of the world and the differences (culture/people) between the nations. LoK seemed to me a more plot driven series while ATLA was more of a show-and-tell tale. I still love ATLA so much more, though.

Yeah, I completely agree. Though I prefer the way Book 2, Book 3 and Lok are.
SpiritMask
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Smugface is smug

bandicootmask@hotmail.co.uk
« Reply #397 on: Jun 23, 2014 08:16 am »

I think ATLA's character development often did tie in neatly to its plot (Maybe not so much in Book 3) though. If the characters hadn't moved on in the ways that they did in those stand alone episodes I highly doubt that certain plot points would have been reached. That old adage of characters moving the story along and not the other way around.

'let's be careful out there'
-Phil Esterhaus
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #398 on: Jun 23, 2014 08:19 am »

I think ATLA's character development often did tie in neatly to its plot (Maybe not so much in Book 3) though. If the characters hadn't moved on in the ways that they did in those stand alone episodes I highly doubt that certain plot points would have been reached. That old adage of characters moving the story along and not the other way around.

You guys misunderstood me, I didn't meant it to be a criticism Cheesy Just my personal preference.
« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2014 04:26 pm by Furudo Erika » Logged
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #399 on: Jun 23, 2014 03:56 pm »

if you look closely, Aang has his shirt buttoned up wrong, and they're wearing eachother's boots when the lights go back on.

Airbenders are quick. Not even Katara is sure what happened

So Sokka was reacting to the boots...

He probably has the best idea of what happened out of all of them. Cheesy

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: