Apr 27, 2017 03:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 102 (20%)
9 - 76 (14.9%)
8 - 107 (20.9%)
7 - 89 (17.4%)
6 - 47 (9.2%)
5 - 34 (6.7%)
4 - 16 (3.1%)
3 - 16 (3.1%)
2 - 10 (2%)
1 - 14 (2.7%)
Total Voters: 497

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [303] The Painted Lady  (Read 48109 times)
Antiyonder
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #550 on: Dec 14, 2010 06:01 pm »

^^^ Agreed.

On an unrelated response, I don't hate the episode, and even find it entertaining.  But we've seen Katara help out before, and there are episodes that not only illustrate that the Fire Nation isn't evil, but give something to the overall series.

Now take The Avatar and The Firelord.  Sure it doesn't get referenced heavily in the later episodes, it provides more background on the war.  Plus we more or less see what the typical Avatar routine is like (compared to Aang who had to prematurely accept his role and had the pressure of a war).

Now taking what I remembered from a fanfic (one of those Book 3 variants with Zuko joining earlier), I would have had had Zuko being the one to save the village (with Aang and Katara helping out).  Of course it would have to be placed after DOBS, definitely after The Southern Raiders.

What would be the purpose of the revision you may ask?  Well, one of the complaints about Sozin's Comet Part 4 is that Zuko is accepted as Fire Lord even though he was likely outed as a traitor, and that while some people in the Fire Nation are decent folks, there's really been no sign that they hate Ozai.

So by having Zuko saving the village, it results in some FN citizens who would gladly support him becoming Fire Lord, since the current one did nothing to help the village.  A small percentage perhaps, but more plausible than in canon.
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #551 on: Dec 18, 2010 10:30 pm »

Agreed, but i don't find it entertaining or even intresting. Katara likes to help people, mike and bryan we get it by now.

Keeper of: Rebuilt Southern and Northern Water Tribes, The Earth Rumble VII, and Hama\\\'s Prison Cage.
NextFireBend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King Spider-Man.

« Reply #552 on: Dec 23, 2010 11:59 am »

Katara is just a Mary Sue, a really really bad one. Overused theme of strong-willed girl with problem.

Or he watches Glee idk.
The Pebble
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

EARTHBENDING STYLE

« Reply #553 on: Dec 23, 2010 12:06 pm »

Overused theme of strong-willed girl with problem.

Exactly. Tongue

Some parts of this episode were enjoyable, but everything with Katara being Katara was annoying. Tongue

I keep Teo's head bandage, Bato's burn scars, and Jet's treetop ziplines.
drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am the first Jinora fan.

« Reply #554 on: Dec 23, 2010 12:16 pm »

^I agree Katara was annoying in this episode.  I generally don't like when Katara and Sokka fight because Katara always seems to come of as annoying.

NextFireBend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King Spider-Man.

« Reply #555 on: Dec 24, 2010 12:00 pm »

^I generally dislike Katara. She's so mean.

Or he watches Glee idk.
worldends08
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm an Avatard. Big whoop. Want to fight about it?

« Reply #556 on: Dec 24, 2010 01:32 pm »

^Too bad. She took down a crazy Azula & is the mother of Aang's children. (Though I don't want her to be Korra's waterbending teacher. It's not that I think that would be uncool; I just like the idea of progress.)
All in all, it was plain, Katara filler - like something she'd dream).
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2010 10:27 pm by worldends08 » Logged

Keeper of nothing but my own imagination & and this->
storytime7
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #557 on: Dec 26, 2010 12:24 pm »

This is actually my least favorite episode of the series.
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #558 on: Dec 27, 2010 07:03 am »

Mine too, This episode was overall pointless. We already know that katara loves to help people and fire nation can careless about their own. Also this ep does nothing for her character or the plot.

Keeper of: Rebuilt Southern and Northern Water Tribes, The Earth Rumble VII, and Hama\\\'s Prison Cage.
The Pebble
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

EARTHBENDING STYLE

« Reply #559 on: Dec 27, 2010 10:01 am »

^In fact I think it made people just hate her more...

All in all, it was plain, Katara filler - like something she'd dream).

Baha!  I never thought of that, but you're right...

Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #560 on: Dec 27, 2010 10:20 am »

I Agree as well, this was more like a good dream for katara.

The Pebble
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

EARTHBENDING STYLE

« Reply #561 on: Dec 27, 2010 10:23 am »

^Yes, and a bad dream for practically everyone else involved. xP (Including us viewers.)

Pants Are An Illusion
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

And so is death.

« Reply #562 on: Dec 27, 2010 11:16 am »

I wouldn't say that this episode was totally pointless.  I think it shows an important side effect to war - even the country waging it gets hurt.  It's still my least favorite, though, mostly because of Katara, but also because I hated the town and all its people - they annoyed the crap out of me. Tongue

Graphics by Pebs. :3
Keeper of Sozin and Roku's matching beards and the gap in Meng's teeth. <3
The Pebble
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

EARTHBENDING STYLE

« Reply #563 on: Dec 27, 2010 11:17 am »

^IN. DEED.
Best part was Toph.
"Maybe, we cold clean the river!"
XD

Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #564 on: Dec 27, 2010 11:21 am »

^^But we know that already, the army was willing to sacrifice their own to win the war.

Pants Are An Illusion
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

And so is death.

« Reply #565 on: Dec 27, 2010 11:40 am »

^I'm just saying that showing actual townspeople who are being hurt by the war in such an explicit way is something Avatar can only benefit from showing.  Soldiers fight - that's what they do.  If you're in the army your chances of coming home unblemished or alive are slim.  Townspeople aren't actively fighting in the war - they're just trying to survive.  I'm not condoning the sacrificing of a whole platoon of soldiers, I'm just saying that seeing defenseless Fire Nation townspeople being hurt just as much as the defenseless Earth Kingdom townspeople is important when it comes to understanding the consequences of war.

And I agree Pebble - the "We could clean the river!" line is what helps me get through this episode. Cheesy

drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #566 on: Dec 27, 2010 03:12 pm »

^I also love that line, and Sokka's schedule.

Pants Are An Illusion
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

And so is death.

« Reply #567 on: Dec 27, 2010 03:19 pm »

^I like how it was actually the production schedule for the rest of Book 3. Cheesy

drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #568 on: Dec 27, 2010 03:21 pm »

^Yeah that's what makes it awesome. (Strangely it doesn't seem to appear in the art book.)

The Pebble
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

EARTHBENDING STYLE

« Reply #569 on: Dec 27, 2010 03:23 pm »

^I like how it was actually the production schedule for the rest of Book 3. Cheesy

I...I didn't know that. D:
I'm a terrible fan! *wails*

Though you're right, that is quite epic. Cool

Pants Are An Illusion
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

And so is death.

« Reply #570 on: Dec 27, 2010 05:19 pm »

I...I didn't know that. D:
I'm a terrible fan! *wails*
I thought you knew...huh. 
Huh

Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #571 on: Feb 21, 2011 07:17 pm »

I gave it a 7, kinda good, entertaining, but nothing too special. My least favorite episode of Book 3.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
United Guardian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm not a bender, but I can control the elements

« Reply #572 on: Jul 30, 2011 06:01 am »

As I was saying, I just watched this episode, and I have things to say:

1-Why did Katara do this exactly? I mean, she is still part of the resistance against the Fire Nation, right? She's still fighting to free the Avatar World from the opression of the Fire Nation, right? So, why not just attack them directly? I seriously doubt EVERYONE in the Fire Nation know who she is, let alone remember her face. And if they would recognize her from her bending, then why not just attacking them with martial arts? Bending is just martial arts plus elemental powers, so all you have to do is remove the elemental control out of the equation and BAM, instant kung fu master.

2-Is Aang really that dense that he can't recognize the crazy old man when he changes hats? I would expect something like that from Timmy Turner or Spongebob Squarepants, but I'm pretty sure Aang is supposed to be smarter than them.

3-Why did her makeup only washed off after all the Fire Nation soliders fled?

4-Why is it supposed to be a shock that the Painted Lady actually exists? I mean, we know that spirits exists in this world, we've seen Aang visit the Spirit World numerous times, so the existance of yet another spirit shouldn't come as a suprise to anyone, either the audience or the characters.

5-They have motorboats? They don't have cars, planes or motorbikes, but they have motorboats?

There is a place where darkness reigns.
We\\\'ve got the power to fight back.
We save the day, united five as one.
We can become more then you know,
The heart will lead the way to what we can control.
Water, Fire, Earth, and Air, Guardians unite!

We are, we are, w
shadowspace
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #573 on: Aug 01, 2011 10:19 am »

2-Is Aang really that dense that he can't recognize the crazy old man when he changes hats? I would expect something like that from Timmy Turner or Spongebob Squarepants, but I'm pretty sure Aang is supposed to be smarter than them.

I think Aang was just waiting for "solid proof" before exclaiming that the crazy hat man... is crazy. I just loved his infuriated look when the crazy man denies it XD

Makorra *fingers crossed*
mike50333
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

'Zula's still runnin' this, fools!

« Reply #574 on: Oct 04, 2011 01:19 am »

I'd agree that the episode was mostly useless, especially in terms of character stalement (can't call it development, now can we?), but there is one redeeming quality.  Ignoring the surface-value of the fact that they (Aang and Katara, of course) were "blowing Sh*t up," they struck a blow against the Fire Nation war machine.  As explained by Bushi/Shu/whoever, that factory was [a] main producer of the military's steel.  We're talking about the material used for the armor of their tanks, and possibly their warships and airships.  While knocking out one single factory would do little to put a rut in the Fire Nation's domestic war efforts, I think it was a start. 

What's sad is that's basically it; after that, there's no military-oriented activity until the invasion starts.  Maybe I'm thinking unrealistically, but wouldn't it have made some sense to keep up those preemptive strikes against the Fire Nation, focusing on disabling or destroying whatever factories and/or assembly plants were within vicinity of their stops?  To maintain a military power as strong as theirs, I'm sure there were plenty.  It possibly could've helped to curb the production of those airships, or at the very least, forced domestic forces to increase security at those locations, or possibly forcing the Fire Lord to choose the higher priority between securing his military assets and securing the capital, if human capital was scarce enough.

Korra is Best Avatar!  You gotta Deal With It!

Quote of the month:

Quote from: Sarcastic Master
I hate that Fred came on after Korra. I actually saw a stupid second of it... A second! I will never get that second back!

T:LOK Keeps: Equalist Battle Cruiser
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: