Aug 23, 2017 08:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 50 (30.3%)
9 - 26 (15.8%)
8 - 44 (26.7%)
7 - 25 (15.2%)
6 - 11 (6.7%)
5 - 3 (1.8%)
4 - 1 (0.6%)
3 - 1 (0.6%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 4 (2.4%)
Total Voters: 160

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [105] The King of Omashu  (Read 16470 times)
Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #50 on: Apr 13, 2010 11:05 pm »

positives
-THE CABBAGE MERCHANT! Grin
-Bumi is such a hilarious character (over-the-top in just the right way)
-the mail delivery system slide scene is an example of when goofy humor works in this show

negatives
-the challenges are just a waste of time, and a waste of Bumi's awesomeness
-the first episode with no B plot (with Zuko and Iroh), and its absence is felt

rating: 6.5

A lot of the goofy humor in this show falls flat on its face (especially in the early episodes of book 1), but this episode manages to make it work.  It's just a shame that the episode is just so pointless, even though it introduces two great characters.
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2010 05:28 pm by Mooseboy018 » Logged

my Last Airbender comics
keeper of: Koh's creepy voice, his laugh, and his three minutes of screen-time.
catstop
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Keeper of the decedents of the Air Nomad survivors

« Reply #51 on: Jul 16, 2010 01:08 am »

Act 1: Act one did a very good job at foreshadowing the plot of the chapter with the flashback. The character development was also strong on Aang.
Act 1 Rating: 7

Act 2: Act two was much looser written - more aimed at the younger viewing party. The first challenge was tightly done. The second I have some indifference about the relativity to the task at hand. The third challenge was tight. 
Clarity of the switch: Very good. Where Aang discovers Bumi's name makes the switch very clear and ties back to Act 1.
Switch Rating: 9
Act 2 Rating: 5

Act 3: Act three is the appropriate amount of time and closes it up well. Although the carry over isn't as strong - the overall tightness of the script suffices.
Act 3 Rating: 7

Special Effects: 5

Dialog: 7

Storyline: 9

Extra pluses: Tight plot on challenges.

Pairings supported: On Ji x Aang - Katara x Jet - Sokka x Suki - Toph x Tenzik (FN OC from "The Headband") - Appa x Nyla - Momo x Hawky - Zuko x Mai - Ty Lee x Haru - Azula x Chach
Jisenki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"I'm the Greatest Earthbender alive..."

« Reply #52 on: Jul 22, 2010 11:13 pm »

Just a thought that I had: I assume Bumi doesn't know Seismic Sense, so if Aang had learned from Bumi instead of Toph, would that mean that Aang could have possibly lost in that very last moment of the battle between Fire Lord Ozai. Its a slightly random thought as it doesn't necessarily pertain to the episode but it just came to mind.

---For anyone interested in an RPG based on Avatar, click above~In need of mods---
Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #53 on: Jul 23, 2010 01:35 am »

Just a thought that I had: I assume Bumi doesn't know Seismic Sense, so if Aang had learned from Bumi instead of Toph, would that mean that Aang could have possibly lost in that very last moment of the battle between Fire Lord Ozai. Its a slightly random thought as it doesn't necessarily pertain to the episode but it just came to mind.

That's a really good point.  Bumi probably doesn't, so finding Toph was definitely destiny. Grin

my Last Airbender comics
FlameOfZuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Does not ironic mean 'made entirely of iron?' :o

« Reply #54 on: Jul 23, 2010 02:21 am »

Knowing the crazy, old, geezer Bumi was, he probably foresaw that Aang would need to know how to 'wait and listen' (seismic sense) for his Ozai battle, and that was the reason he referred Aang to a different teacher.

Bumi, you strange, strange, wonderfully strange man Cheesy

Jisenki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"I'm the Greatest Earthbender alive..."

« Reply #55 on: Jul 25, 2010 02:13 am »

Knowing the crazy, old, geezer Bumi was, he probably foresaw that Aang would need to know how to 'wait and listen' (seismic sense) for his Ozai battle, and that was the reason he referred Aang to a different teacher.

Bumi, you strange, strange, wonderfully strange man Cheesy

You make a point. Bumi had a good sense of things like Iroh, but then again, he was one of the White Lotus so I guess being wise is just part of being a club member....Now that I think of it. that's just one more reason to hate Shamyalan for not including extremely crucial characters where they're needed. I can only hope Bumi, Kyoshi Warriors, Roku, etc will make a much deserved appearance in the Second Movie.

---For anyone interested in an RPG based on Avatar, click above~In need of mods---
representing watertribe
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #56 on: Jul 25, 2010 08:20 am »

This episode introduces the cabbage merchant, so that by itself earns a ten lol.
ricco
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #57 on: Jul 26, 2010 06:42 am »

This episode introduces the cabbage merchant, so that by itself earns a ten lol.

that's true

Keeper of Katara's: "I don't know Aang...ask Sokka's instincts",
Azula’s: "My own mother thought I was a monster...she was right",
Iroh's: "Maybe it should be a proverb", Roku's: "You think I am weak"
squeege57
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The Virtual boy play it.

« Reply #58 on: Jul 26, 2010 12:00 pm »

I love this episode because it not only introduces Bumi, and the cabbage merchant. It also has funny moments like the super slide, the men you'll be going of to war, and pippen patalopsocoplis the third.
Ambrose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #59 on: Aug 14, 2010 07:49 pm »

I enjoyed this episode the most so far, it reminds me of Samurai Jack (my favourite series), in that a whole new set is conceived each episode. Omashu has been the coolest so far, although we are running out of elements now.

Carpe diem
ALTA_FAN
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yes, I am an Avatar Last the Airbender fan.

« Reply #60 on: Aug 16, 2010 08:59 am »

Omashu is a great city, and some of the horrible puns made this episode a bit better. IDK, i can watch this episode and smile at the sheer lameness of all of the jokes, and the duel at the end seems to make it for me.

Bumi, "Are you hoping ill catch a cold?!"

yes, it is weak humor. maybe that's why i can stand it. The other redeeming quality of this show was finally learning what Aang had to do.

Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #61 on: Aug 21, 2010 03:15 pm »

Hey guys, it's time for some more Avatar: The Last Airbender!

I don't think there's as much to comment on on this one, except that it's perhaps my favorite one so far, and that I found Aangs "old man" imitation to be pretty funny.  Other than that, the first 6 minutes are really just Aang getting in trouble for...well, being Aang.  

I'm starting to wonder if this is really all his fault though.  I mean, we're introduced to Boomy, another of Aang's friends, and yet another person in his life who encouraged his behavior.  I mean jeez, first Gyotso, and now "Boomy".  Was there ever a person in Aang's life who tried to reign in his antics?  If not, I hope there's one soon, because so far, Aang's not doing a good job at the whole "saving the world" thing.  As a matter of fact, he's been doing just the opposite now that I think about what's happened to most of the places he's visited.

But hey, he's wearing a disguise this time, so, at least he's making progress right?

I don't know if this is the primary Earth Kingdom, or a hamlet, or a province, or whatever, nor whether the Lord of this town is supposed to be a Baron, or a King, or a Lord, or whatever, so I'll just call him the King.  Sokka does say that his crown is on a little tight, and I always associate crowns with King's, so King it is!

Anyways, I found the Baron to be an interesting man.  Pretty clever one to, if the way he found out Aang's identity is any indication.  I think he's pretty funny as well.

I don't know how he managed to kidnap Sokka and Katara without waking Aang up, when the only entrance was a sliding earth door that made tons of noise when opening up, but then, we're talking about a guy who has magic rings that, when put on, encase you in candy.  Seeing how technologically advanced the city is, I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that he must've had some kind of crazy sleeping powder in that feast of his.  

So, the first two tests go by easily enough.  I really like the King's commentary in the first and third trials.  He may be kooky, but when it comes to sarcasm, he's not half bad at all.

Speaking of the third trial, it's here that my favorite part of the episode, not only because it's probably the best fight we've had so far (probably helped that the King's pretty much the only opponent Aang's fought so far that wasn't murdered in two moves), but because the King actually points out a flaw in Aang's fighting that's been bugging me since the very beginnning...

"King: Typical airbender tactic.  Avoid and Evade.  I'd hope the Avatar would be less predictable!"

And...

"King: Don't you have any surprises for me?  Sooner or later, you'll have to fight back"

I just like the feel of the fight.  That Aang's come to a point where he needs to think creatively and open his mind a little in order to overcome an overpoweringly strong foe.  Plus, any episode that forces Aang to be a little more aggressive in a fight is always cool by me, as it's something he needs to learn if Episode 4 is any indication.

The twist at the end was pretty cool to.  I never expected the King to turn out to be Boomy, though, it didn't help that he didn't do any of the snorting he did as a child until near the end of the Episode, nor did I expect anyone in this show to live to be 112 (nothing to nitpick though, I've heard that Earthbenders live pretty long lives).

So ends a pretty cool little episode.  Probably the best one since Episode 3.  And, to my surprise, absolutely nothing to nitpick!  Well, ok, I guess if I really wanted to, it seems silly that Katara and Sokka are letting Aang lead them around, doing nothing but thrill seeking, especially when Katara is still seeking to actually master her water bending, but hey, that's Aang for you.

This Episode is just interesting in that when you look at the premise, it could've easily have been just an average, filler Episode, but instead, we get a surprisingly great one thanks to Boomy being awesome, Aang having to learn a few things, and the jokes actually being funny again. 

By the way, about the Emperor's name, Ozai (it was revealed here)?  Is that not one of coolest names ever?  I think I'm going to name one of my characters in Final Fantasy Ozai from now on.
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2010 03:21 pm by Fionordequester » Logged
iamaang92
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #62 on: Aug 21, 2010 03:28 pm »

This is sort of off topic, but did you remember to turn off sigs and avatars to make sure there are no more spoilers?

Anyways, about the episode.
Yea, King Bumi's a really cool guy, although I have to say, for someone who was complaining about predictability and then didn't realize Bumi was his friend but back in the day. But hey, it was a fun twist.
Anyways, moving on. Yes, the important theme to take away from this episode is Aang breaking out of the solely airbending shell and learning how to "fight" against different kinds of opponents. Bumi's teaching him how to fight like the Avatar, with knowledge and skills of all the elements.
And Gyatso and Bumi and others are the kinds of people who enjoy Aang as the goofy little kid, and like I said, he is a humble, gentle spirit.

LOK and Makorra are great
Keeper of Tho's "No wonder you left", Aang's "It's a compliment!", Katara's "Sugar Queen?" and Ozai's "I have all the power in the world!"
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #63 on: Aug 21, 2010 03:34 pm »

That he is.  And seriously, you're telling me it was obvious that Bumi turned out to be the King?  First of all...

1) There was no indication that Bumi was any sort of royalty when we were introduced to via Aang's flashback.

2) King Bumi never did any of the snorting that Child Bumi did until near the end of the Episode, and that was one of the key traits to Child Bumi.

3) The way Child Bumi was set up, I thought he was just a throw away joke or something.

4) The show never told us that Earth Benders could actually live as absurdly long as they can in this show while still being physically fit, like King Bumi was.

So, I don't think it's unreasonable to say that this wasn't an easily predictable twist.

FReddy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

hmm????

« Reply #64 on: Aug 21, 2010 03:40 pm »

you REALLY need to make your reviews shorter! I look at posts that long, and i dont dare reading em'

Graphics by the one and only amazing LemonLime
iamaang92
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #65 on: Aug 21, 2010 03:44 pm »

Not that easy, but I thought you might think of it because there really wasn't a reason to show Bumi back in the day (and he has some loopy stuff going on with his eyes), and then you see Bumi now. Definitely some resemblance.

But anyways, time to move on, I know you want to lol.

Keeper of Tho's "No wonder you left", Aang's "It's a compliment!", Katara's "Sugar Queen?" and Ozai's "I have all the power in the world!"
Zeffphyr
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^Don't you just love when words work like that? :)

« Reply #66 on: Aug 21, 2010 04:00 pm »

you REALLY need to make your reviews shorter! I look at posts that long, and i dont dare reading em'

Sorry, but I still agree with this Grin

^Thanks to LemonLime for the awesome sig! Grin
Keeper of Katara's expression when she first holds Aang*the desperate kiss in Cave of Two Lovers*and Katara's "what are we doing?"
Quote from: iamaang92
Psh, high school is so Zutara
FReddy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

hmm????

« Reply #67 on: Aug 21, 2010 04:07 pm »

Sorry, but I still agree with this Grin

thanks for supporting!

Graphics by the one and only amazing LemonLime
Zeffphyr
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #68 on: Aug 21, 2010 04:11 pm »

But, back to the review.

I'm not exactly sure if Bumi's resemblance to his
younger self was meant to be recognized from the
get-go, but I saw it at the first glance :3

4) The show never told us that Earth Benders could actually live as absurdly long as they can in this show while still being physically fit, like King Bumi was.

The show will never actually say that about anyone (there's an exception but I won't say).
Bumi just so happens to be awesome enough to do so Grin

Keeper of Katara's expression when she first holds Aang*the desperate kiss in Cave of Two Lovers*and Katara's "what are we doing?"
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #69 on: Aug 21, 2010 04:37 pm »

Well, guess what?  Aang never saw the resemblance either, so, I'm going to just assume that Child Bumi's resemblance to King Bumi was not supposed to be obvious, therefore, making me justified!

After all, who would know better than Aang?!
iamaang92
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #70 on: Aug 21, 2010 04:39 pm »

Well, guess what?  Aang never saw the resemblance either, so, I'm going to just assume that Child Bumi's resemblance to King Bumi was not supposed to be obvious, therefore, making me justified!

After all, who would know better than Aang?!

Jeez, don't get your panties in a bunch Tongue

Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #71 on: Aug 21, 2010 04:47 pm »

Hah, I'm just joking around.
Zeffphyr
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #72 on: Aug 21, 2010 04:49 pm »

Jeez, don't get your panties in a bunch Tongue

lol

btw, Fionor, if you want to show that you're joking
a little more clearly (so as to not make a bad impression)
you can use the various smileys that the forum has
to offer. Or even make your own if you like Smiley
I'm just saying that they help express yourself a
little better on the internet ^_^
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2010 04:55 pm by Zeffphyr » Logged

Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #73 on: Aug 21, 2010 05:35 pm »

I don't know if this is the primary Earth Kingdom, or a hamlet, or a province, or whatever, nor whether the Lord of this town is supposed to be a Baron, or a King, or a Lord, or whatever, so I'll just call him the King.  Sokka does say that his crown is on a little tight, and I always associate crowns with King's, so King it is!

Or you could always just look at the title..."The KING of Omashu". Tongue

And Omashu is just a big city in the Earth Kingdom.

my Last Airbender comics
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #74 on: Aug 23, 2010 06:55 pm »

I guess.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: