Mar 30, 2017 10:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 50 (30.3%)
9 - 26 (15.8%)
8 - 44 (26.7%)
7 - 25 (15.2%)
6 - 11 (6.7%)
5 - 3 (1.8%)
4 - 1 (0.6%)
3 - 1 (0.6%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 4 (2.4%)
Total Voters: 160

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [105] The King of Omashu  (Read 16227 times)
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #100 on: Nov 23, 2010 10:47 pm »

In this show that how it pretty much works look at the villians zhao, azula, combustion man, zuko (season one), rough rhinos, and pretty much the entire fire nation.

Keeper of: Rebuilt Southern and Northern Water Tribes, The Earth Rumble VII, and Hama\\\'s Prison Cage.
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #101 on: Nov 23, 2010 10:48 pm »

Well, to be fair, he only started being aggressive the instant he figured out that Aang was the Avatar, which implied that he was in league with the Fire Nation somehow.
The Pebble
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

EARTHBENDING STYLE

« Reply #102 on: Nov 23, 2010 10:53 pm »

In this show that how it pretty much works look at the villians zhao, azula, combustion man, zuko (season one), rough rhinos, and pretty much the entire fire nation.

What about Jet?  They considered him a villain.  He was nice at first.
Hama, too.

Oh look, post number two hundred!
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2010 11:03 pm by The Pebble » Logged

I keep Teo's head bandage, Bato's burn scars, and Jet's treetop ziplines.
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #103 on: Nov 23, 2010 11:07 pm »

They weren't outright villians, jet needed the water supply to takeout the village so it would be easier to get what he wanted being nice. Hama just wanted the fire nation to suffer and wanted katara to carry on her work. Overall they were just people who suffered at the hands of the fire nation and became corrupted.

Keeper of: Rebuilt Southern and Northern Water Tribes, The Earth Rumble VII, and Hama\\\'s Prison Cage.
The Pebble
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

EARTHBENDING STYLE

« Reply #104 on: Nov 23, 2010 11:09 pm »

This really isn't about the episode anymore.   Undecided

Perhaps we should continue through PMs?

I keep Teo's head bandage, Bato's burn scars, and Jet's treetop ziplines.
Shard
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

DragonRoseShard
« Reply #105 on: Nov 24, 2010 07:38 am »

Well, to be fair, he only started being aggressive the instant he figured out that Aang was the Avatar, which implied that he was in league with the Fire Nation somehow.

I think that is an unfair way to judge a character or person, just because he was aggressive? Your going to find alot of Non-FN characters that are aggressive toward Aang for just being the Avatar.
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #106 on: Nov 24, 2010 12:58 pm »

I think bumi was giving off the aggressive vibe so aang could take the tasks more seriously, which is similar to what to piandao did to sokka.

Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #107 on: Nov 24, 2010 08:04 pm »

I think that is an unfair way to judge a character or person, just because he was aggressive? Your going to find alot of Non-FN characters that are aggressive toward Aang for just being the Avatar.

Why?  The Avatar is basically the savior and guardian of the world right?  The only people who would want to do him in (and I'm not counting people who think Aang is evil) are the villains of the Fire Nation, and whoever else was allied with them, right? 

I know that Bumi turned out to be just pretending, but lets just suppose he really was being serious when he was threatening Aang and his friends.  Why would he be so friendly to them before realizing Aang was the Avatar, then be so bent on harming them after realizing it?
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #108 on: Nov 24, 2010 08:13 pm »

As i said before he did it so aang would take his task more seriously. It just like when piandao attacked sokka in mock rage he wanted him to fight seriously.

Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #109 on: Nov 24, 2010 08:59 pm »

I said supposing Bumi was a villain, I'm well aware that Bumi was on Aang's side all along.
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #110 on: Nov 24, 2010 09:13 pm »

I don't really have an answer perhaps it was aang's duty to stop the war and bumi got pissed. With these what if scenarios you never know.

Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #111 on: Nov 24, 2010 09:23 pm »

Fair enough.  I was just trying to be fair to NextFireBend when he said he thought Bumi was a villian.  I wasn't fooled, but I could see where he was coming from.
Shard
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

DragonRoseShard
« Reply #112 on: Nov 25, 2010 08:24 am »

Why?  The Avatar is basically the savior and guardian of the world right?  The only people who would want to do him in (and I'm not counting people who think Aang is evil) are the villains of the Fire Nation, and whoever else was allied with them, right? 

I know that Bumi turned out to be just pretending, but lets just suppose he really was being serious when he was threatening Aang and his friends.  Why would he be so friendly to them before realizing Aang was the Avatar, then be so bent on harming them after realizing it?

Well Bumi is a bit crazy. However that is a Black and White view there as there ARE characters who actually dispise the Avatar and they are neither villains or Fire Nation. Also remember the fisherman back in "The Storm" he was pretty resentful of the Avatar and not at all Fire Nation.
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #113 on: Nov 25, 2010 10:34 am »

I would be pissed at aang too, a hundred years of war and destruction and he decides to show up with a smile on his face. How can you blame the fisherman.

Shard
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

DragonRoseShard
« Reply #114 on: Nov 25, 2010 05:55 pm »

I would be pissed at aang too, a hundred years of war and destruction and he decides to show up with a smile on his face. How can you blame the fisherman.

Not blaming him at all, just pointing out that not everyone who dislikes Aang is Fire Nation, disliking or being aggressive against Aang doesn't make the person Evil. For that matter not all in the Fire Nation or evil or bad.
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #115 on: Nov 25, 2010 06:48 pm »

So true but can you blame people like that fisherman who dislike aang.

Ubern00b
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Moar Avatar makes me happy in my smile parts!

« Reply #116 on: May 07, 2011 10:05 pm »

Ep. 104 review.

Ubern00b reviews Avatar: The Last Airbender

So...with the last episode, I had some pretty harsh words levied towards JM animation, especially compared with my praise of the previous ep's work by DR Movie, which clearly had some solid work put into it.  But trust me when I say that that is the exception to the rule when it comes to DR.  Their rule however...well, it's bad folks.  How bad?

And this was one of their better outings throughout the series if you can believe it.  The animation is simply functional, doing the bare minimum required of the production.  A tragically missed opportunity, considering the crazy old coot the whole episode revolves around.

"Oh my GOD!  What's wrong with your F--oh, it's supposed to be like that.  Music doesn't fare much better as almost the entire episode is dominated by 'orchestration'.  This is something else we should talk about now that it's come up.

In regards to the music, I've made mention of or at least inferred that The Track Team utilized real physical instruments when creating the soundtrack, but they also used synthetic sound created through the computer to emulate orchestral movements which would have been far too expensive to be created via an actual orchestra.  Unfortunately, the synthetic nature of the music only accentuates the fact that it's not real.  It sounds exactly like what it is: a faked version of a real orchestra.  This is compounded by the fact that real instruments are used in the show to incredible effect.  These musical cues would typically be used during the more 'cinematic' moments to accentuate the 'epic adventure' aspect of the show.  Shots like these:

It's this 'orchestral' score that dominates this episode, despite it's rather silly nature and would sadly end up dominating the series, but for what is, it aint bad.  Not by a long shot.

It's a silly ep with jokes galore and for the most part, they all work, though the delivery of the palace guards is far too stiff for the Monty Python gags they used.  There's more than a few clever moments throughout and the 'cough' gag is one of the many smaller moments littered throughout the show that really endeared me to it when I first started watching those many a year ago.  Beyond that, it's little more than a stop gap used to get the end-goal of the show established.

Ep. 106 review.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011 02:37 am by Ubern00b » Logged

Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #117 on: May 11, 2011 03:45 am »

Hmmm I'll have to keep an ear out for this 'orchestration' issue when I eventually re-watch the series - I don't believe I noticed anything that sounded off last time. Does this mean that quite a small percentage of the soundtrack actually makes use of real instruments?
Psionicism
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

THE GAME. You lost it.

« Reply #118 on: May 12, 2011 11:13 pm »

Ubernoob, I'm really enjoying your reviews of the eps. I can't wait till you finish the entire series, as your noticing things I always felt were there but couldn't figure out how to put into words.

You might want to refresh the page, I've probably edited my post since you looked at it.

I can remember
when I used to enjoy them.
What happened to me?
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #119 on: Sep 05, 2011 03:46 am »

You know guys, I've been rewatching all of Season 1 in that absurdly long marathon Nicktoons has thrown today (don't worry, I haven't watched anything but Season 1), and I just realized.  Right before Aang and Co. crash to the ground after they tried to have fun on the mailing system, we have this commander telling his men that they're going to go off to war soon, and that they should be ready for anything...

I just wonder what exact battle they might've been referring to?  It didn't look like the city was being besieged or anything, or that the people were suffering from the effects of war, so I can only assume they were about to travel somewhere far away. 
Hawkflame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Don't cross the Melon Lord

« Reply #120 on: Sep 24, 2013 09:34 am »

Continuing with my rewatch...

I love Bumi as something of a Trickster Mentor type here, designing his challenges so that Aang could think outside the box.  I love how off kilter he is, treating them to a feast, and then putting them in the newly refurbished chamber that was once bad. 

And then the moment of the episode- when Aang thinks he's being smart by choosing Bumi as his opponent, then it turns out that Bumi is the buffest and most powerful of all.  :lol:
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #121 on: Apr 02, 2016 08:37 pm »

This episode wasn't as bad as I remembered. I agree that the animation was bad, but I found it very funny and the fight was pretty dang cool.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: