Apr 21, 2019 10:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is Azula capable of redemption and if so, will it happen?
Yes, but won't change - 63 (25%)
Yes and will do something good - 106 (42.1%)
No - 83 (32.9%)
Total Voters: 252

Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Azula and Evil... Redemption?  (Read 354646 times)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #6150 on: Apr 09, 2019 06:36 pm »

Aaron's tweets are vague enough that I don't think we can assume he means a journey similar to Zuko's. And I didn't get the impression that he's even talking about a journey at all; it seemed to me that he's talking about a moment, that point where Azula bottoms out, and at that point where all seems lost for her, Zuko steps forward.

The parallel, to me, is when Zuko is scarred and freshly banished, and Iroh steps forward to come with him into banishment.

And I think the power of knowing that, even at the worst moment, acceptance and love is still something they can have can be transformative for both siblings. Ozai, after all, made them earn his 'love.' Ursa, in Azula's view, did the same. So the moment with Zuko is where Azula learns that Ozai's way of doing things is wrong. And that's where she begins the half of her journey that leads back up out of the lowest depths. Zuko certainly wasn't "redeemed" when Iroh went with him into his banishment. Azula's moment would simply give her the impetuous to continue trying to survive, and -- eventually -- decide to repent of her past mistakes and want to do better.

(I was explicit with that last part because I hate the word "redemption." I say this at least once a page, but it means different things to everyone and is responsible for at least 80% of the arguments on this subject.)

But that's all IMO. I'm sure everyone who cares about this subject is projecting to some degree on Aaron's tweets.

(Fun Fact: I still haven't in the poll on this thread.)
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2019 06:38 pm by Loopy » Logged

Urmom666
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6151 on: Apr 09, 2019 10:26 pm »

Aaron's tweets are vague enough that I don't think we can assume he means a journey similar to Zuko's. And I didn't get the impression that he's even talking about a journey at all; it seemed to me that he's talking about a moment, that point where Azula bottoms out, and at that point where all seems lost for her, Zuko steps forward.

The parallel, to me, is when Zuko is scarred and freshly banished, and Iroh steps forward to come with him into banishment.

And I think the power of knowing that, even at the worst moment, acceptance and love is still something they can have can be transformative for both siblings. Ozai, after all, made them earn his 'love.' Ursa, in Azula's view, did the same. So the moment with Zuko is where Azula learns that Ozai's way of doing things is wrong. And that's where she begins the half of her journey that leads back up out of the lowest depths. Zuko certainly wasn't "redeemed" when Iroh went with him into his banishment. Azula's moment would simply give her the impetuous to continue trying to survive, and -- eventually -- decide to repent of her past mistakes and want to do better.

True, but point is I don't want Zuko playing as massive of a role in all of this as some others do.

I was explicit with that last part because I hate the word "redemption." I say this at least once a page, but it means different things to everyone and is responsible for at least 80% of the arguments on this subject.)

Nah, it's closer to 90% let's be real here.

Fun Fact: I still haven't in the poll on this thread.)
Why am I not surprised?  Cheesy
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #6152 on: Apr 10, 2019 06:34 pm »

True, but point is I don't want Zuko playing as massive of a role in all of this as some others do.

Fair. If I had to create a full story based on Aaron's idea, that moment he's so keen on would be Zuko's only substantial appearance in the present. Well, maybe he'd appear briefly at the beginning as a bitter antagonist to set up a contrast with his Angel Moment. But mostly he'd be in flashbacks.

The flashbacks would be Hero style, Rashomon-ing it up with different color palette to differentiate them and tell us how they're affecting Azula as she relives them.

Also, the story wouldn't indicate which versions of each flashback at true. The importance is in which versions Azula can accept at any given moment. You know, red to show they anger her, blue to show she's feeling sad while thinking of it, yellow for peaceful remembrances, etc. I'm not looking to break ground, here.

What were we talking about again?

Oh, right, Zuko!

Yeah, he's not Azula's nurse.

Urmom666
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6153 on: Apr 14, 2019 07:08 pm »

Fair. If I had to create a full story based on Aaron's idea, that moment he's so keen on would be Zuko's only substantial appearance in the present. Well, maybe he'd appear briefly at the beginning as a bitter antagonist to set up a contrast with his Angel Moment. But mostly he'd be in flashbacks.

The flashbacks would be Hero style, Rashomon-ing it up with different color palette to differentiate them and tell us how they're affecting Azula as she relives them.

Also, the story wouldn't indicate which versions of each flashback at true. The importance is in which versions Azula can accept at any given moment. You know, red to show they anger her, blue to show she's feeling sad while thinking of it, yellow for peaceful remembrances, etc. I'm not looking to break ground, here.

What were we talking about again?

Oh, right, Zuko!

Yeah, he's not Azula's nurse.

Exactly. Everybody knows it's Ty Lee.  Roll Eyes
Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: