Nov 18, 2018 12:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is Azula capable of redemption and if so, will it happen?
Yes, but won't change - 63 (25.1%)
Yes and will do something good - 105 (41.8%)
No - 83 (33.1%)
Total Voters: 251

Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Azula and Evil... Redemption?  (Read 332588 times)
Tamerlan Pahlavi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Pride above all

« Reply #6100 on: Sep 27, 2018 03:38 pm »

Haven't tried to gauge the trend barometer in years but ever since The Beach there has been a sizeable part of the fandom that felt sympathetic to her as a person and not just finding her cool as a villain. Though, I'm sure many jumped on the woobie wagon in order to feel less guilty for being attracted to her, at least I did, at first.

As for fanfics, I've seen a few, three to be precise where she was executed and one I even finished called Broken Dragon where she was almost hanged. The continuation has her somehow back on the throne despite not being able to bend but I never went deep into it, not sure if it really ends that way.

Also, thank you for reminding me of your past atrocities Loopy. I never finished reading it, the fact that it's longer than most novels kinda scared me off but the ten or so chapters I read were really enjoyable. One day perhaps I'll cross that from my list as well.

So, since I'm always up for suggestions, what is the best fic you've read? The ending doesn't matter, redemption, death, anything in between as long as the quality is good.
« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2018 03:40 pm by Tamerlan Pahlavi » Logged

There is no refuge but in audacity. No salvation other than in strength.

"It is better to live one hundred years in wealth than seven days in poverty." - Bob Rock
Urmom666
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6101 on: Sep 27, 2018 06:53 pm »

Haven't tried to gauge the trend barometer in years but ever since The Beach there has been a sizeable part of the fandom that felt sympathetic to her as a person and not just finding her cool as a villain. Though, I'm sure many jumped on the woobie wagon in order to feel less guilty for being attracted to her, at least I did, at first.

A great deal of it definitely started with The Beach. I’m on the Avatar subreddit and just about every discussion regarding her character devolves into an argument. It’s somewhat amusing for me since I’ve always had a firmly “middle of the road” approach to her so I end up disagreeing with most people who chime in. Regarding the attraction thing, let’s be real-it’s pretty much inevitable with any remotely attractive female villain.

So, since I’m always up for suggestions, what is the best fic you’ve read? The ending doesn’t matter, redemption, death, anything in between as long as the quality is good.

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/12996096/1/Shadows-Part-1-The-Fear

This one is not finished yet, but it’s going in an intriguing direction.

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/11918411/1/The-Real-Subject

Same with this one, has interesting parts with Ozai and Zuko as well.

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/2991017/1/Azula-Always-Lies

This is a blatant hatefic, but frankly I find it oddly amusing for some reason. Some of the comments on it are pretty golden.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #6102 on: Oct 07, 2018 03:56 pm »

I've seen some that kill her. Before the finale actually aired, it was usually portrayed in a triumphant manner, but after the finale, the stories that actually killed her tended to make it a tragic, self-destructive moment.

Mostly, any stories these days that try to use her as an unsympathetic villain don't finish, so we don't know her fate.

I arguably killed her at the end of a fanfic, once. But it's also arguable that I didn't, and I refuse to clarify matters, so I'm not sure it counts.

Urmom666
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6103 on: Oct 08, 2018 02:14 am »

Mostly, any stories these days that try to use her as an unsympathetic villain don't finish, so we don't know her fate

I haven’t seen one of those even started in quite a while. It makes sense that said stories don’t get very far. It kinda seems like portraying Azula as thoroughly unsympathetic is (for lack of a better word) “outdated” and many people are immediately so turned off when it shows up in a fanfic that they either ignore its existence or possibly even flame the author into quitting.
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #6104 on: Oct 08, 2018 03:17 am »

^mostly, it just doesn't work, the writer just quits as the plot bunny runs out of steam, it's out of the writer's system, and the story plan didn't have much beyond "let's kill Azula" she's ded, now what? often characters are specifically written as cardboard unlikable to justify killing them, ignoring inconvenient canon personality traits

keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
Urmom666
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6105 on: Oct 08, 2018 11:28 am »

^mostly, it just doesn't work, the writer just quits as the plot bunny runs out of steam, it's out of the writer's system, and the story plan didn't have much beyond "let's kill Azula" she's ded, now what? often characters are specifically written as cardboard unlikable to justify killing them, ignoring inconvenient canon personality traits

Nowadays for sure. But writing her like that in say 2006 wouldn’t be totally unjustified frankly
azure_flame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6106 on: Oct 25, 2018 08:41 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSulAuayJoE

please support The Search - An Avatar: The Last Airbender Film http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-search-an-avatar-the-last-airbender-film
Urmom666
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6107 on: Oct 28, 2018 04:23 pm »

Sheesh, that video just reminded me of how nonsensical that entire plot thread with her in Smoke and Shadow was.
azure_flame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6108 on: Oct 29, 2018 01:02 am »

I wouldn't call the comics bad

And in all honesty, it would be hard to follow up on such a great series, but

They could've been better

I've seen some that kill her. Before the finale actually aired, it was usually portrayed in a triumphant manner, but after the finale, the stories that actually killed her tended to make it a tragic, self-destructive moment.

Mostly, any stories these days that try to use her as an unsympathetic villain don't finish, so we don't know her fate.

I arguably killed her at the end of a fanfic, once. But it's also arguable that I didn't, and I refuse to clarify matters, so I'm not sure it counts.

I've seen plenty of stories that needlessly tortur her for no good reason. I mean, seriously, it's just a continuation of "and then this bad thing happens and then another and then another"

I find those goes beyond pointless

Double post merged. ~ Icy
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2018 04:35 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

please support The Search - An Avatar: The Last Airbender Film http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-search-an-avatar-the-last-airbender-film
Urmom666
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6109 on: Oct 29, 2018 08:59 am »

I wouldn't call the comics bad

And in all honesty, it would be hard to follow up on such a great series, but

They could've been better

I've seen plenty of stories that needlessly tortur her for no good reason. I mean, seriously, it's just a continuation of "and then this bad thing happens and then another and then another"

I find those goes beyond pointless

Double post merged. ~ Icy

Eh, I don’t care for them. I think they have some interesting ideas that weren’t executed well.
Do you have any examples of the pointless Azula torture? Most fics about her that I have seen completely downplay her actions and have some stupid romantic subplot with Ty Lee be the catalyst for her redemption.
Tamerlan Pahlavi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Pride above all

« Reply #6110 on: Oct 30, 2018 02:16 pm »

I'd say this one qualifies. It includes stupid Ty Lee romance yes but everything about it is just depressing and hopeless.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5432322/1/Memento-Mori

(spoilers) The Fire Nation is in a bad state both economically and politically, ever more traumatized by the consequences of the war and an ever harder peace. Azula spends years imprisoned in an asylum barely aware of her surroundings, Ursa is dead, her final wish for Zuko to take care of his sister fails on her stubborness. It takes all his political weight to stop the Earth Kingdom from demanding her execution only for her to almost successfully attempt suicide shortly thereafter. Also, Ty Lee's feelings aren't returned but she's unable to untangle herself from Azula though it's becoming ever more painfully clear that she can neither reform herself nor even find joy in life.

And now for some shameful self promotion. I wrote this before the comics were published but never put it on FF.net before. Maybe you'll like it, I wanted to write a fic that doesn't let her get of the hook nor have Zuko easily forgive her.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13107125/1/Memories-of-Sorrow

"It is better to live one hundred years in wealth than seven days in poverty." - Bob Rock
Urmom666
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6111 on: Oct 30, 2018 08:02 pm »

Nice one man. She definitely didn’t get off the hook there, that’s for sure. I also found these:

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/7717624/1/Teatime-With-Ozai
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/5591919/1/Vengeance

Tamerlan Pahlavi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Pride above all

« Reply #6112 on: Nov 01, 2018 03:57 pm »

Glad you liked it. I was depressed when I wrote it and reading it again made me sad and even gave me ideas how to make it even more heartwrenching.

Read both of your suggestions and they're rather good, especially the first one. That was pretty tragic but I can imagine Ozai doing that, her realization that she sacrificed her entire life and relationships for the wrong person was done dramatically well. Glad she seems to have untangled herself emotionally from him in canon too despite still sharing his ideals.

I kind of dislike fics where Ozai sexually abusive to her, mainly because it doesn't sit all too well with my stomach and partly because it's already really difficult to write the dynamic of a person who both needs to pay up for her transgressions but also deserves some sympathy and a second chance. Fics where she's abused or raped in prison don't sit too well with me either.

Urmom666
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6113 on: Nov 01, 2018 04:15 pm »

I like the first one the best as well- especially with Ozai lamenting over a broken teacup rather than his daughter’s corpse. Really hammers home what a truly horrible pr*ck he is.

Raped in prison? Christ, talk about pointless.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #6114 on: Nov 01, 2018 11:08 pm »

Please stay on topic.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
azure_flame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6115 on: Nov 04, 2018 07:26 pm »

In the end my opinion on the pointless making Azula suffer can be summarized in this

https://youtu.be/0hDxcHZi30c?t=674

Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: