Aug 20, 2018 04:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is Azula capable of redemption and if so, will it happen?
Yes, but won't change - 62 (24.8%)
Yes and will do something good - 105 (42%)
No - 83 (33.2%)
Total Voters: 250

Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Azula and Evil... Redemption?  (Read 322777 times)
Urmom666
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I wallow in sorrow ain’t no tomorrow

« Reply #6075 on: Jul 28, 2018 09:20 pm »

Anyway, I've been wondering and pondering. Is there any fanfic where she ends up transformed into something better through finding spirituality or religion?

I can kinda imagine her on the run from the Gaang ending up hiding in the Eastern Air Temple and meeting Guru Pathik (one of my favs from the show btw). He'd probably quickly sense the source of her anguish the way he sensed Aang's. Perhaps being free from earthly attachments and at the same time accepting her mother's and brother's love would be exactly what would set her right.

Though, I guess being redeemed by faith is not a notion all too popular in the modern world.

It all depends on where you are.
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #6076 on: Jul 31, 2018 05:26 am »

Anyway, I've been wondering and pondering. Is there any fanfic where she ends up transformed into something better through finding spirituality or religion?

I can kinda imagine her on the run from the Gaang ending up hiding in the Eastern Air Temple and meeting Guru Pathik (one of my favs from the show btw). He'd probably quickly sense the source of her anguish the way he sensed Aang's. Perhaps being free from earthly attachments and at the same time accepting her mother's and brother's love would be exactly what would set her right.

Though, I guess being redeemed by faith is not a notion all too popular in the modern world.

well most religions do have some form of repentence in place. She would have to go through some form of making right on her wrongs, even if it is in, or in preperation to her next life, since in the Avatarverse reincarnation is a thing.

also imo her redemption, if she gets any, should mean something to the world - the things and people she affected negatively. redeeming her by having some deity pop into existence (either personally or through a representative) and forgive her just because she pledges faith seems hollow to me.

keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #6077 on: Jul 31, 2018 06:08 pm »

I dunno, isn't attaining redemption by becoming a Buddhist (or some flavor of Zen) kind of a cliche?

Now that we're talking about it, though, I kind of want to play with the idea. I have an unfinished AU series where Aang and Azula get married, and I'm tickled at the thought of her becoming even more spiritual than him and being insufferable about it.

"You claim to be a pacifist, but you tripped that bandit."

"Yes, well, he had been trying to stab me for a good five minutes at that point."

"So you admit you regularly compromise your supposed values?"

"No, I- you know what? Never mind. You're right, honey. You're a better pacifist that me."

"I am, but that's not the point. This is for your enrichment."

"...yes, dear."

Tamerlan Pahlavi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Selam, Sahib

« Reply #6078 on: Aug 01, 2018 05:32 pm »

also imo her redemption, if she gets any, should mean something to the world - the things and people she affected negatively. redeeming her by having some deity pop into existence (either personally or through a representative) and forgive her just because she pledges faith seems hollow to me.

That's not at all what it is in my understanding. To be forgiven by god you need to be seeking god first. There can be no forgiveness without repentance. Enlightenment works similarly, you need to be tired of your current state of mind first and seek something better. Also, even after coming to a grand realization and a change in the soul there remains the question "now what"?

I dunno, isn't attaining redemption by becoming a Buddhist (or some flavor of Zen) kind of a cliche?

Now that we're talking about it, though, I kind of want to play with the idea. I have an unfinished AU series where Aang and Azula get married, and I'm tickled at the thought of her becoming even more spiritual than him and being insufferable about it.

If anybody can pull it off then it has to be you. I would love to read it Cheesy especially after having already read the fic you were referring to.
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6079 on: Aug 01, 2018 11:44 pm »

Well, in that case coming to faith would be the triggering event that sets her on a path to redemption, not the redeeming factor itself.

"now what" is only the title of the first chapter of that story :-)
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2018 11:46 pm by Yougo » Logged

Urmom666
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6080 on: Aug 08, 2018 05:25 pm »

Well, in that case coming to faith would be the triggering event that sets her on a path to redemption, not the redeeming factor itself.

"now what" is only the title of the first chapter of that story :-)

Someone should write a Modern AU where Azula joins one of those Megachurches and just gets way too into it
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2018 03:26 am by Urmom666 » Logged
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6081 on: Aug 09, 2018 02:56 am »

HAH. she'd be running the place within the month, and set the entire community off into a denomination because the main branch is doing it wrong.

Urmom666
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6082 on: Aug 09, 2018 03:43 am »

HAH. she'd be running the place within the month, and set the entire community off into a denomination because the main branch is doing it wrong.

We have ourselves a plot bunny and a rather hilarious one at that.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #6083 on: Aug 10, 2018 05:53 pm »

That would be half the story. The second half is her trying to find a way to get out of it because it's just too easy.

Tamerlan Pahlavi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Selam, Sahib

« Reply #6084 on: Aug 16, 2018 01:42 pm »

Something has occurred to me today and I was wondering if anyone felt the same or similar.

In retrospect, Zuko gained a great victory over Azula in The Search. How must it have felt for her to hear from the person she abused and tormented the most in her life to basically say "I love you and I forgive you". It meant that despite all that she did to him she lacked any true power over him in the end, she couldn't even force him to hate her anymore. His heart was now stronger than the force of all her past misdeeds and his soul at last utterly free from her malign grasp.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #6085 on: Aug 16, 2018 05:46 pm »

Well, Ozai lit Zuko's face on fire and Zuzu still gave Daddy a chance to reconcile. Azula should try to take a limb or kill his spouse or something to really make a dent.

Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: