Aug 22, 2017 06:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 370 (51.1%)
9 - 161 (22.2%)
8 - 104 (14.4%)
7 - 55 (7.6%)
6 - 13 (1.8%)
5 - 7 (1%)
4 - 4 (0.6%)
3 - 1 (0.1%)
2 - 3 (0.4%)
1 - 6 (0.8%)
Total Voters: 700

Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [302] The Headband  (Read 69565 times)
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« on: Sep 28, 2007 04:41 pm »

Description -- To better camouflage themselves as real Fire Nation citizens, the kids check out a Fire Nation school. Avatar dance special. Also, Zuko confronts Uncle.

Discuss!

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
J J Mao
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Sig and icon by me P:

« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2007 04:41 pm »

Even though I saw this on TurboNick on Wednsday, seeing the full quality was amazing. It really makes you appreciate just how fluent and detailed the animation is in this series.

Highlights and such

-Happy!Aang sure did return quick...

-Fire Nation kids = hilarious. That Foamy look alike was made of win <3

-Wang and Sapphire Fire. 'Nuff said XD

-I really did wish Toph got more screen time for this episode. Ah well

-THE KATAANG. The whole Kataang interaction in the episode had me squealing. Especially the dance. God I though they were gonna kiss in that scene. So... close >.<

-The Maiko was very sweet, in my opinion. Zuko says the corniest things Cheesy

-IROH. Oh my gosh I thought I was going to cry. How could Zuko do that to him. How much lower can he possibly sink? Making Iroh cry... ;~;

-Combustion Man. I was really looking forward to know more about him, but lo and behold, he comes in at the end. Drat

-NEW SHIP! Onji/Aang FTW XD

-Sokka was absolutely perfect in this episode. Enemy birds? Go to your room? WIN.

All in all, I like this episode a lot more than the Awakening, and it's definately up there in my Favourite episodes list. -snickers- Hotman XD

Also, did anyone else pay attention to that shot that included a close up of CM's hand in the end? It looked like it was a claw made out of metal... at least to me.

Keeper of Sokka's "Go to your room!"
Keeper of Aang's "Flamey-O"
J J's Horrid Art Cheesy
pheobe
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Heart.Mind.Body.Soul

« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2007 04:42 pm »

I totally loved this episode. I felt very sorry for uncle Iroh, but LOVED the silent treatment... and wow, Zuko finally admitted that he needs his advice. Maybe he's finally starting to get it that Iroh has been right all along? I hope he makes up with Iroh soon, he tends to do dumb things when he is acting on his own (the assassin is a good example here).

I've been waiting to see what life's like in the fire nation for ages so you can probably tell that I really enjoyed this episode. It's good that we get to see that not all of the fire nation is evil and just how they get people to go and kill others for no reason.

And seeing how they deplore anything that isn't practical or nationalistic and with that have destroyed not only the whole culture of the air nomads but also their own, was a clear sign to me that the fire nation needs the avatar too. Not that they would ever admit it, of course... Roll Eyes

The lack of action didn't really bother me. I've never watched Avatar because of the fights, the spiritual part of bending and war and human relations were what got me hooked.

I loved the Aang and Katara dance. It was just so exciting to see what you can do with kung fu and acrobatic jumps. I've been watching it over and over again. I think I've almost memorized it Cheesy Makes me want to be able to do backflips... I think it's better if I don't try to do it though. I may get seriously hurt.

Can't wait for the next episode!
Happy!Aang sure did return quick...
Yeah, I noticed that too. He's completely back to his old self. I thought that he would be a bit more angsty at least for a little while
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2007 04:45 pm by pheobe » Logged

J J Mao
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Sig and icon by me P:

« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2007 04:45 pm »

And seeing how they deplore anything that isn't practical or nationalistic and with that have destroyed not only the whole culture of the air nomads but also their own, was a clear sign to me that the fire nation needs the avatar too. Not that they would ever admit it, of course... Roll Eyes

Of course not XD

And yes, seeing the real life of normal Fire Nation people really gives insight on them. It's different, seeing them as normal people, than a cruel, destructive nation.

J J's Horrid Art Cheesy
CupidKirby
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"My life will be CALM and HAPPY and JOYFUL!!"

unicorn_princess_94@hotmail.com
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2007 04:46 pm »

This episode was such a good relief from the drama from the last!! ^^

I can't tell you how much I laughed when Sokka and Katara were pretending to be Aang's mom and dad Grin
Wow, Aang really is a good dancer...

I sense a future love triangle ^^;

My Favourite Quotes... (I only watched it once so sorry if it's not exact)
"What? Are you scared that the birds would hear us and tell the Fire lord?"
"They're birds from the fire nation!! That makes them enemies!!"
((Aang: "How did you know that I was still alive?" Assasin guy: "Let's just say that a little birdy told me..." Sokka: "....I TOLD YOU!!"))

"I'm going to throw a dance party, so then everyone here can learn to be a bit more free."
".....Go to your room!!"

"Hello, I am Wang Fire and she is..."
"I'm Sapphire...Fire."

"You know Sokka, you can take off that beard now..."
"I can't, It's glued onto my skin"
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2007 05:20 pm by CupidKirby » Logged

You know what the best choice for a side kick is?
A Boomerang

"They're always screaming Kataang. As long as they're whispering Taang, I don't care." - Unifilar, Livejournal.com
Waking _Dreamer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: Sep 28, 2007 04:54 pm »

That one free-styling fire nation kid was pretty impressive Cool ...he was doing some nice poping moves..wish i had some screenshots...  Embarrassed

pheobe
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Heart.Mind.Body.Soul

« Reply #6 on: Sep 28, 2007 04:57 pm »

That one free-styling fire nation kid was pretty impressive Cool ...he was doing some nice poping moves..wish i had some screenshots...  Embarrassed
I can make some if you want (dimensions 320x240)

SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2007 04:57 pm »

I watched it on TurboNick (I have no self-control) and I can't wait to see it on TV. If the animation looked so fluid and awesome on that little TurboNick window thingie, then it must look great on a big screen.

I've commented about this episode in the Spoilers thread, but I'm gonna go ahead and comment here too Smiley

- Appa's cloud camouflage was made of win. Now we know what his Halloween costume is gonna be this year Tongue

- Enemy birds! Ha!

- Aang looks absofrickinlutely adorable with that headband. Really, adorable. Uber adorable.

- The fight with the bully was amazingly well animated. It reminded me of the fight with Zuko in his room in the ship in episode 102, sans airbending. Perfectly fluid Ba Gua.

- [singsong] Onji likes Aang. And Katara's jealous [/singsong]

- The music teacher had an oddly-shaped head... and his face was weird too...

- Zuko made Iroh cry  Angry

- The kids dancing were hilarious, especially Foamy's twin.

- Sokka's beard, Katara's pregnant belly, Toph's sole-less shoes...

- Hippo-cow?!

- Enemy birds!

I'm gonna have to wait to watch it again, this time on TV, so that I can remember what other awesome things happened in the episode, so I'll be back after 9pm Eastern Cheesy

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
MaxTheSilent
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Sep 28, 2007 05:00 pm »

Hilarious episode.

Best line: "You're so beautiful when you hate the world." Awwwwww!

The Aang/Katara dance sequence was one of the show's greatest moments ever.

I'm sure once the action stuff kicks into gear we'll see a lot more of Toph.
Zukofangw
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: Sep 28, 2007 05:11 pm »

I loved the Head band with the mix of angst and humor

The Dancing was hilarious Aang earnt the name twinkle toes

Katara Looked stunning Sokka was awesome as ever

and i liked the faces on the fire nation students very animeish

and Zuko and Iroh that was just heartbreaking

For somem reason However i watched this episode like 3 days ago  Huh but whatever i'm above complaint 
CupidKirby
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Sep 28, 2007 05:19 pm »

-Fire Nation kids = hilarious. That Foamy look alike was made of win <3

Wow, I thought that kid looked familiar XD
We have the foam guy, the cabbage guy and now we have the 80's dancing guy ^^;

A Boomerang

"They're always screaming Kataang. As long as they're whispering Taang, I don't care." - Unifilar, Livejournal.com
IrohAmca
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #11 on: Sep 28, 2007 05:23 pm »

Thread seems a bit empty, since all the discussion has been made in "Spoilers" thread. I hope turbonick doesn't make such mistakes in the future.

"Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source. True humility is the only antidote to shame"  ~Uncle Iroh~
J J Mao
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Sig and icon by me P:

« Reply #12 on: Sep 28, 2007 05:23 pm »

I still can't get over the hotman comment. Since I saw the episode on Wednsday, I've been calling everyone at school hotman. Which is awkward since no one's an Avatar fan there ^^;

Zuko has quite a way with words. "You're so beautiful when you hate the world"? XD

EDIT: And yes, I agree with IrohAmca. Even though I love getting things early, it leaves out the excitment of seeing it on the actual air date. Hopefully, Nick won't goof up again.

J J's Horrid Art Cheesy
cabel
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: Sep 28, 2007 05:24 pm »

only two things could've made the dance pary better, timewarp or moonwalk

When Sokka's happy, everyone's happy.  When Sokka's unhappy, everyone's usually laughing.

'Toph' love? No that's good love baby.
CupidKirby
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Sep 28, 2007 05:34 pm »

Thread seems a bit empty, since all the discussion has been made in "Spoilers" thread. I hope turbonick doesn't make such mistakes in the future.

I don't actually ever read the spoiler thread...nor did I watch the episode on Turbo Nick before the airdate ^^;
Which would really explain why I've made three postes on this thread that's only one page long

"Greetings my good hotman!!"
LOL, I would probably say that to strangers on the street if I wasn't a girl ^^;

And yes, Sokka was perfect in this episode Grin
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2007 05:36 pm by CupidKirby » Logged

A Boomerang

Rao Seng Pu Ting
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

aka 'Rasputin': the Mad Monk discovered Buddhism!

« Reply #15 on: Sep 28, 2007 06:01 pm »

Oh man, this was such a fun episode. It's a welcome relief from the unmitigated ANGST of the premiere (which, while necessary for character development and setting up future events, did set things off on a major downer) and provided some frankly incredible fluent animation. It's like they had this episode planned just to show off their animators' skills. When Aang declared "Alright! Everybody freestyle!", you can tell that was a signal to the animators as much as to the dancing Fire Nation schoolkids.

And the schoolkids...I loved the way this show drew you into the life of the Fire Nation at its most sympathetic point. No needless exposition, since a lot of what you needed to know was implicit in the episode's storyline...and expressed through dance. The Fire Nation is a dynamic, expressive, emotional people, who have had their energies channelled into the support and maintenance of an authoritarian junta determined to rule the world. All Aang is doing is reminding them of the people they used to be, the people that Aang remembered...and allow Aang to feel like a normal kid again, just for once. That was a subtle and believable touch.

All I wished was that it lasted longer. But, well, hard to argue with a 23-minute time limit. I was impressed how they managed to fit in some important development for Zuko too. He's confused right now, in that he has everything he wanted but is slowly realising that the thing he wanted was a hopeless mirage. He feels trapped and paranoid, and in need of guidance...but he doesn't know how, or why. And now he's decided that everything's not perfect because the Avatar is still alive.

I'm hankering for more again. But this was an improvement over the unevenness of the last episode. A very well-crafted and spell-binding spectacle. I gave it an 8.

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be" - Lao Tzu

Fan-Fiction:

Rao Seng Pu Ting's Book 3: Fire.

His Dream Of Skyland. AU. The Far East, June 1940.
ampulator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Sep 28, 2007 06:07 pm »

Did you guys recgonize the part after Aang says "let's free style"? It's pretty familiar.

Proud Anti-Shipper - More Story Less Soap Opera!
ibec
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #17 on: Sep 28, 2007 06:09 pm »

I enjoyed watching this episode . over and over. Tongue

The best was the dance. I squealed.

Loved the comment to Appa . and how he is a great dancer Smiley

"I don't hate you too" . hehehe to funny. so silly those 2.

Zuko needs some sense smacked into him. seriously.

Now I wonder the the gAang is heading to. Can't wait for the next one.

Keeper of Zuko entire Wardrobe, Aang flute, FN War Balloon, Zuko Laughter Cheesy
CupidKirby
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #18 on: Sep 28, 2007 06:29 pm »

Did you guys recgonize the part after Aang says "let's free style"? It's pretty familiar.

lol, the only thing it reminds me of if the free-for-alls in video games ^^;
The 'Let's Freestyle' was the last quote I was really expecting from avatar...

A Boomerang

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Monk's Gone Wild (IZ TEH BIGGEST ZUTARIAN ON ASN)

« Reply #19 on: Sep 28, 2007 06:44 pm »

that one guys was totally dacning like Bryan! that kid remember! bryan did socrazy dance at SDCC! man! man...that as so funny. Bryan looks a whole lot better when he dances though.

i say 9.99999 because of the Maikoness/Kataangness. i am a still poud Zutarian and Taanger. there was a cute Taang moment at the end!

i'm going to a dance tomorrow so i hope i learned some moves from this episode!

Keeper of Aang discovering he had hair, Zuko&Katara first mission together

I thanked everyone who made me icon/sig on DA. General/Commander AA22 of the Zutarmy. Master of the weapon Zutaratana!
ToughToph
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Leaves from the vine............Secret tunnel!

« Reply #20 on: Sep 28, 2007 06:45 pm »

I give it a 10/10 for originality,creativity,humor,and for just being really good. That episode was really the most unique out of all the episodes. I just wish I could see the next episode now!

("That's it no more school for you young man!"
Sokka starts touching his beard
)

Sokka you are one funny dude  Wink

Sadly my signature is not longer working. It was Death Note and it was so cute and I am so hurt because i've had it for so many years.

I keep Aang airbending in the opening sequence of The Legend of Korra and Mako\'s trademark cool under fire style
Sultry
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Sep 28, 2007 06:51 pm »

I absolutely loved this episode. It was so full of win.

Kataang - ADORABLE!!!! I never cared much for them before but now, I was totally rooting for them. Their dance scene was absolutely breathtaking.

Maiko - Most people hated it, I thought it was great. Yeah, the dialog was corny but it worked for me for some reason. To me, Zuko and Mai act like a couple at ease with each other. They can poke fun at each other or make sarcastic comments, knowing that the other gets them. I've seen plenty of couples like that. Heck, I used to be like that too. So yeah, all is cool with Maiko IMO.

Zuko - Truly stuck between a rock and a hard place. I really pity him - he finally has everything he always wanted but it's nothing like he imagined it'd be. Seeing him yell at Iroh was heartbreaking. I don't really get why Zuko doesn't just apologize. I bet if he did, Iroh would speak to him.

Mai - A lot of folks complained about how easily she followed Azula's orders and some even claim she and Azula are plotting against Zuko. I think both claims are wrong. Unlike Zuko, Mai knows when to pick her battles. She knew that this wasn't worth getting on Azula's bad side for. However, judging by the glare she gave Azula before she left, I think Mai will only follow Azula for so long before choosing her way.

Azula - You look out for Zuko? b***h please. I bet her reasoning is 'You wouldn't fall from grace until I wish it so'.

The 'Combustion Man' - I'm looking forward to seeing what this guy will do. He looks totally badass!

Daddy Sokka - Made of total win. Holy snap, did 'Wayne Fire' make me laugh XD XD

Toph - I DEMAND MORE TOPH!!!!! Quite frankly, I'm getting really annoyed with how little screen time Toph has been given lately. Sometimes, you'd almost forget she is part of the team. Momo and Appa almost get more attention than she does. She is blind, not mute!!! So give her some more lines/action, thank you.

Fire Nation kids and dance - I thought the dance was great. Tho I suspect that they copied some character designs. At first glance, I could've sworn I saw Meng in the crowd. Later on, I discovered it was a boy but he really did look a lot like Meng. Another student looked like Foaming-Mouth Guy tho seeing him do freestyle dancing was awesome.

In short, this episode totally rocked.

Sig made by guitarfreak. Keeper of : Sokka's 'Bad Fire Nation baby', Mai's smile in 'The Awakening',  Tenzin's 'Oh, she tried' and Pabu's balloon belly after eating too many noodle
ToughToph
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Leaves from the vine............Secret tunnel!

« Reply #22 on: Sep 28, 2007 07:02 pm »

Zuko is so selfish! First he goes to his uncle crying for advice then he leaves all angry and calls him crazy. He goes back with chicken and he doesn't even ask if his uncle is ok or if he wants anything. He only gave the chicken because he wanted advice in exchange. After betraying his uncle he still wants advice beacuse he is loosing his mind and he wants his uncle to fix it for him because that's what his uncle always did for him. Then he leaves and makes his uncle cry. I was so sad when I saw that part. I've never seen Iroh look so hurt before.  :'( Zuko says he will fix the problem himself (for once) and he hires a crazy tatoo killer! I don't know about you but I think Zuko just got really desperate. Zuko doesn't deserve Iroh. That's right I said it!

But I still love Zuko's character.
Yeah I know i'm weird.  Wink

Sadly my signature is not longer working. It was Death Note and it was so cute and I am so hurt because i've had it for so many years.

I keep Aang airbending in the opening sequence of The Legend of Korra and Mako\'s trademark cool under fire style
candycane
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I think...I've become a shipper!

« Reply #23 on: Sep 28, 2007 07:14 pm »

Uck! The Maiko! That made me wanna vomit! >.<

Oh, but the enemy bird thing was funny. Aang's side of the story was fun and dandy. But Zuko's side is leaving me reeeeaaaalllyy desperate for his redemption and something happy....oh well, soon I guess.

The many looks of Zuzu
Keeper of:
The nickname Zuzu, Zuko's metamorphosis, Jet's messed up childhood, Sokka's tears
Taku
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #24 on: Sep 28, 2007 07:14 pm »

Much lighter ep after the season opener. Almost an exact oppositie ratio of fluff to seriousness from last week. And very good fluff too. The new outfits were a laugh, especially Katara's. They went out of their way to give her a whole new "hot" look. Well, it is the Fire Nation, after all.

Sokka: Definitely on form. "Enemy Birds!" "Go to your room."

The whole parent-teacher interview. Especially, "That's what I like to hear."

Zuko & Mai: Get a room! Gee, teenagers. Can't keep their hands off each other. Notice they kept canoodling even after Azula broke the spell? They both defied her, until Azula sent Mai off to "help" Ty Lee. Finally, something stronger than Azula! And note the dirty look Mai gave Azula when she was sent on her way? Trouble brewing.

"You're so beautiful when you hate the world."  Jaw-droppingly funny. Even in love FN couples are warped.

The whole FN school was brillant satire. Monster teachers, school yard bullies, oaths to the nation, noodle artwork of the beloved Fire Lord, mind-numbing conformity and slanted history books. Just like any school. But also a stunning display on how the FN takes ordinary, decent kids and turns them into the tools of tyranny. They're snobs even towards kids from their own colonies. And that whole "March of Civilization" theme. Very Orwellian tone.

Aang's take down of the school bully was a classic fight scene. And Onji was very sweet.

The dance. Damn kids and their rock and roll. Very subversive.

Katara's "If that's what you like." She's definitely getting more and more open with her emotions for Aang. As for the dance the two shared, well, sum it up in one word. Sweaty! Very sweaty!

The student revolt. There was a whole "I am Spartacus" thing going on.

The interaction (or lack) of Zuko and Iroh was great. Something is building here. Zuko has everything he ever wanted, but it ain't enough. He's still fighting his conscious, but the darn thing just won't leave him alone. The hired gun is a last, desperate act of someone in denial, but it can't last. Zuko is one crisis away from a total meltdown.

And the music! We've had hints in past episodes that FN people are musically inclined. Now they prove it. Big, big applause for the composer.

« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2007 07:42 pm by Taku » Logged
Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: