Oct 15, 2019 12:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 256 (39.9%)
9 - 135 (21%)
8 - 125 (19.5%)
7 - 81 (12.6%)
6 - 22 (3.4%)
5 - 8 (1.2%)
4 - 5 (0.8%)
3 - 4 (0.6%)
2 - 1 (0.2%)
1 - 5 (0.8%)
Total Voters: 615

Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [301] The Awakening  (Read 66628 times)
acmangahas
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #950 on: Apr 11, 2010 01:23 am »

This was a nice way to start the season for me. Though I think some of the transitions between some scenes were a little fast. The color was awesome. I love the blueness of the sky and the subtle wavy movements of the flames in the Fire Lord's Throne room was magnificent. I just wished they explained the in betweens of Book 2 and 3 to be more thorough and not as fast as Sokka did but if it's for the sake of time, it's fine and clear enough.

The emotions showed were excellent too. You could almost feel Katara's pain and Aang's shame for not succeeding.

The jokes were finely inserted and went with the flow of the story.

Ozai's serene looks we're great. Now that's a clever way to picture a ruthless villain.

And lastly, I know the series ended with Book 3 but I wish they make Book 4 or an animated movie showing the reign of Fire Lord Zuko, and how he and Aang work together to restore a war-torn world. Twists could be added like what will happen if Ozai escaped or Azula did or someone else posing a threat to the world's balance. Considering the "epic" finale of Book 3 and the Series itself, maybe it's fine after all and the idea of making another book or a movie might probably spoil everything.

Aangelo
Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #951 on: Jun 15, 2010 02:18 pm »

positives:
-Ozai praising Zuko
-Zuko's sense of uncertainty with everything that's happening to him
-Aang's guilt about the fall of Ba Sing Se
-the somewhat creepy bedroom scene with Azula Tongue
-the turtleduck scene
-the world thinking Aang is dead
-Roku hinting at his past
-Aang burning his staff Cry
-Maiko
-Yue giving Aang some moon-advice
-Aang's hair Cheesy
-Jin's cameo

negatives:
-Aang's angst shouldn't have ended in this episode.  Aang really doesn't do anything in the first half of book 3, and actually giving him some sort of character arc (which was wasted in this episode) would have been nice.
-Katara's daddy issues seem to come out of nowhere...I think it's an interesting idea, but it could have been executed better.
-the battle on the ship felt like it took up too much of the episode
-they missed an opportunity to show the Cabbage Merchant again... Undecided

rating: 8.5

I always go back and forth between loving and sort of hating this episode, but right now I love it a lot more than I hate it. Grin

my Last Airbender comics
keeper of: Koh's creepy voice, his laugh, and his three minutes of screen-time.
WaterKatara
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Kataang Forever

« Reply #952 on: Jul 09, 2010 12:58 pm »

So glad he woke up. Thank you spirit water!!

Shipper of Kataang.Keeper of Aang's sensitiveness and Katara's anger.Kataang will always be together.FOREVER!!
ZukoRocks160
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #953 on: Jul 23, 2010 11:43 pm »

I like this episode a lot because here you have Zuko who has his honor back but still is confused and doesn't know if he has done the right thing. Then you have Aang who has a little but of Zuko in him because he thinks he needs to redeemed himself and needs to get his himir back. When the truth is all he needs to do is accept the fact that he did fail but the point is that he tried and all he really needs to do is just to stick with the invasion plan and he knows that he has help from his friends.
ricco
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #954 on: Aug 27, 2010 06:11 pm »

I liked it because Jin was in it Smiley

http://screenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/301/085.jpg

Keeper of Katara's: "I don't know Aang...ask Sokka's instincts",
Azula’s: "My own mother thought I was a monster...she was right",
Iroh's: "Maybe it should be a proverb", Roku's: "You think I am weak"
AirbenderForLife
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Let there be shining light in the starless sky.

« Reply #955 on: Sep 11, 2010 09:16 am »

^^I thought i was the only one who noticed that!

And then there's the family from The Serpent's Pass (I think).

Keeper of: Aang and Sokka's "spirit magic" from "The Painted Lady," and Sokka's "Airbending SLICE!"
mbgirl713
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #956 on: Oct 05, 2010 11:30 pm »

COOOOOOOOLLLL!!!! <(pretend there's a hundred more O's) thank you SOOOOOO much!!! i LOVE jin!!!!
*fangirl scream* YAY!!! she was in more than one episode!!!!
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2010 11:32 pm by mbgirl713 » Logged
Toph Bei Master
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Huge Avatar:TLA Fan, love the Avatar Universe

« Reply #957 on: Oct 16, 2010 12:50 pm »

I like this episode a lot because here you have Zuko who has his honor back but still is confused and doesn't know if he has done the right thing. Then you have Aang who has a little but of Zuko in him because he thinks he needs to redeemed himself and needs to get his himir back. When the truth is all he needs to do is accept the fact that he did fail but the point is that he tried and all he really needs to do is just to stick with the invasion plan and he knows that he has help from his friends.
You can tell that he wants to be a different person inside. I shows him fighting this, which is great.

The key to earthbending is your stance.
Celestine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Reign of stars.

« Reply #958 on: Jan 30, 2011 01:41 pm »

This is my favorite episode. It's about redemption, renewal, and rebirth. I love it when we see the hero at his lowest and the subsequent rise from the ashes.

Perception is everything.

Keeper of Iroh's past mistakes and Katara's laughter.

Sig by The
newavatarfan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm a real legend

« Reply #959 on: Feb 21, 2011 07:24 pm »

It is a great episode in many ways, but it also features Aang with hair. Instant win!

Someone also mentioned Ozai's serene appearance. This is definitely one of the more interesting things they did, as it is a very interesting and original way to picture a very ruthless man. Avatar, to me, was always about how they broke many cliches throughout the first two seasons. (unfortunately season 3, by really no fault of the writers, had to be filled with them)
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2011 07:27 pm by newavatarfan » Logged

worldends08
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm an Avatard. Big whoop. Want to fight about it?

« Reply #960 on: Feb 23, 2011 10:50 pm »

For some reason, I expected more; maybe Katara's issue with her dad should have been in comic form.

Keeper of nothing but my own imagination & and this->
drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am the first Jinora fan.

« Reply #961 on: Feb 26, 2011 08:23 am »

^I didn't really like Katara in this episode, but I know her "daddy issues" were important.

Handicapable
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #962 on: Mar 12, 2011 09:30 am »

The main thing that stuck out to me was actually the speech that Li and Lo gave to introduce Azula and Zuko. I think it had something to do with the way their voices alternated as they explained what happened to Ba Sing Se, but it was really creepy. Just seeing the wall being brought down was chilling enough, but their narration really sealed it for me.

How blessed is the man who finds wisdom And the man who gains understanding. For her profit is better than the profit of silver And her gain better than fine gold. She is more precious than jewels; And nothing you desire compares with her. Proverbs 3:13-15 (NASB)
Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #963 on: Mar 12, 2011 10:49 am »

I love this episode! One of my favorites! A classic opener.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #964 on: Mar 13, 2011 08:54 am »

I don't know why, but i just didn't like this episode at all. Maybe it was the actions of katara, aang and zuko.

Keeper of: Rebuilt Southern and Northern Water Tribes, The Earth Rumble VII, and Hama\\\'s Prison Cage.
newavatarfan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm a real legend

« Reply #965 on: Mar 22, 2011 10:08 pm »

I think this is probably the best season opener of the series. It certainly has its flaws, as people have pointed out. However, this is a great episode in the themes it explores and it is one of the first episodes to really touch on the characters so deeply since "Zuko Alone." Also, Katara's voice acting was excellent. Normally her emotions seem a little fake, but when she was with her dad after Aang flew off it was completely believable and wonderfully performed.

My only problem with the episode is that it brings up Aang's internal struggles and then resolves them too quickly, as well as a couple other things brought up a little quickly. This probably could've been a two-parter.

The end was a bit rushed, but I can forgive that. It was a really powerful ending with the symbolism and all.

Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #966 on: Mar 24, 2011 08:10 am »

I honestly felt season two had the best opener as it introduced azula pretty well and the sudden shift in zuko's future began, also info on the avatar state and actually getting too see some awesome bending, seeing the wounded soldiers coming from war, aang's guilt and the convo he had with katara was also good. Then we have this episode which felt more dramatic and overblown then a general hospital episode.

Keeper of: Rebuilt Southern and Northern Water Tribes, The Earth Rumble VII, and Hama\\\'s Prison Cage.
SilverSandwich
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #967 on: Mar 24, 2011 11:05 am »

It is a great episode in many ways, but it also features Aang with hair. Instant win!

Someone also mentioned Ozai's serene appearance. This is definitely one of the more interesting things they did, as it is a very interesting and original way to picture a very ruthless man. Avatar, to me, was always about how they broke many cliches throughout the first two seasons. (unfortunately season 3, by really no fault of the writers, had to be filled with them)

It's really the story of Book 3 encapsulated in it's very first episode: a lot of wonderful ideas that are often executed very well, but then hurt by the need to move the plot along within one season's worth of episodes. As many of us have said many times, a Book 4 would've served them well in cases like these.

I agree that revealing Ozai as just human was a fine artistic choice: the concept all along was to reveal how he's no longer this big scary boogeyman to Zuko, but just a man. The problem was that they chose this path for Ozai, but I don't think they explored him enough. They ended up kind of writing him as the megalomaniacal Big Bad, but they presented him as more of a "mere mortal" upon this introduction to him. More episodes could've given us more information about the flawed Phoenix King.

Half-agree on Aang's character arc; on the one hand, it would've given him a path to follow for the first half of Book 3, but on the other, the concept of "finding my honor" had kind of already been done, no? That said, I think I agree that I'd have rather seen Aang find some peace within himself, but still fight feelings of failures at Ba Sing Se for a few episodes.

Speaking of that, getting the visuals of the Fire Nation's takeover of the great city was a really strong moment in Book 3, would've liked to have seen some things expanded upon, but understandably, it wasn't where the narrative was.

I honestly really liked Katara's parental angst in this one, and to tie it to my first point, this was an arc that could've stood to be expanded a bit if they had more room to breathe in Book 3. I got the vibe throughout the last book that Katara post-Crossroads of Destiny is supposed to be a changed character, to a degree, and at times she is. Zuko turning on the Gaang in the caves was really the first time she wasn't only betrayed and had her trust abused (since Jet had already done that), but also made to face horrible, earth-shattering consequences for it, both for the world and for herself, upon seeing Aang get taken out and watching Ba Sing Se fall.

This really makes her feeling some resentment towards the world pretty easy to comprehend. Resentment at herself for, once again, trusting too easily and getting burned for it. Resentment at the Fire Nation, for reasons well established. And, yes, resentment at her father for doing his duty (which she acknowledges he was right in doing) but leaving his two children to have to grow up, shoulder enormous responsibility, and leave them prone to things like the events of CoD happening to them. Not to say that Katara didn't take her journey with Aang seriously before, but now it's been taken to a whole new level, and it's basically taken the last remnants of her childhood from her.

Now, this arc for her is explored again in Western Air Temple and Southern Raiders, but, again, Book 3's constraints didn't allow it to be explored as deeply as it could've been.

Finally, Zuko's return home and disillusionment with what he's got (well, besides "fruit tarts" with Mai) is something I liked seeing, and goes to show that despite his one terrible decision at Ba Sing Se, the changes he went through before that hadn't left him. It's just that, well...he's Zuko, and he's prone to screwing everything up. Poor guy.

So yeah, to summarize, there's a ton I like in this episode, but I kind of find myself disappointed that certain themes broached in it weren't expounded over the course of Book 3 as much as they could've been.
newavatarfan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm a real legend

« Reply #968 on: Mar 24, 2011 03:02 pm »

I honestly felt season two had the best opener as it introduced azula pretty well and the sudden shift in zuko's future began, also info on the avatar state and actually getting too see some awesome bending, seeing the wounded soldiers coming from war, aang's guilt and the convo he had with katara was also good. Then we have this episode which felt more dramatic and overblown then a general hospital episode.

"The Avatar State" was a good episode but it doesn't have any "oomph" in its story, in my opinion. The Awakening tells a much more powerful story of Aang having to come to terms with his failures and the trials & tribulations he's willing to put himself through to restore his honor. Not to mention the symbolism of the ending alone makes it a powerful episode.

I agree with your post almost to the letter, SilverSandwich, except for your point about a Book 4. They could've fit all this into book 3. Personally I think they should've dumped "The Beach" and used that episode space for an "Awakening Pt. II"

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Monk's Gone Wild (IZ TEH BIGGEST ZUTARIAN ON ASN)

« Reply #969 on: Sep 21, 2011 08:25 pm »

On ths day, 4 years ago, this phenomenal episode of avatar the last airbender came out. This episode ended the 10 mon long wait for the new epsiode of avatar. I'm so happy about is day, it always brings me Joy knowing that on this day all our questions were answered at the end of the horrible tragedy of Aang's death in the crystal catacombs in ba sing se. Thank youfor all those who are still here celebrating. Thank you to those people who were here on this day to be involved more in the avatar community. I know I was Smiley I love all of you! And this episode was awesome!

Keeper of Aang discovering he had hair, Zuko&Katara first mission together

I thanked everyone who made me icon/sig on DA. General/Commander AA22 of the Zutarmy. Master of the weapon Zutaratana!
version15
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #970 on: Dec 18, 2013 07:34 pm »

I thought it was a pretty good season opener though I didn't much care for Kataras attitude.

Keeper of the Red Spirit, both the canon inspiration for the Blue Spirit and the real life title messup in the channel guides on TV
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #971 on: Dec 30, 2014 03:51 pm »

I thought that this was the best opening episode in the franchise. The Awakening was a delightfully dark and somber episode that set up a number of interesting plotlines. Unfortunately, while I may have loved Book Fire, the episodes that followed did not build on the mood established in this episode. Though I am willing to give this a pass as Aang came to terms with his faliure at the end of the episode. That ending shot where he burns his staff is powerful even to this day. Anyway, special mention goes to the Zuko and Azula scene. Azula manages to be delightfully creepy as well as cunning. Though I wonder why Zuko exposing her lie in the mid-season finale was not followed up on. All in all this was an outstanding episode. I might watch it later if I see it on TV.
Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: