Nov 20, 2019 01:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Animated Short:
10 - 103 (58.9%)
9 - 27 (15.4%)
8 - 23 (13.1%)
7 - 12 (6.9%)
6 - 3 (1.7%)
5 - 3 (1.7%)
4 - 1 (0.6%)
3 - 1 (0.6%)
2 - 1 (0.6%)
1 - 1 (0.6%)
Total Voters: 172

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [017] Bender Battle  (Read 17070 times)
Acastus
Expert Advisor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Victim of the gelatinous cube.

« on: Sep 11, 2007 08:57 pm »

Short description: Aang, Katara, Toph and Zuko duke it out in this chibi short offered on the season two box set to prove once and for all which element is best.

Note: Unlike the numbers for the regular episodes, the "017" designation here is just for our internal database and doesn't have anything to do with how this short may be referenced by Nick or the Avatar staff.

Discuss!
Tongone
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2007 09:01 pm »

Well, another funny chibi short!

My favorite part was toward the end, where Iroh gives a speech about all the elements, then says "But fire is the best!" and runs away with Zuko.

I also like Katara fangirling over Zuko. Too funny! And then Zuko got angry, and he didn't even look like a chibi anymore, but his regular self.

I'm glad Toph actually had more screentime here.Toph's voice sounded rather different, but I liked her all the same, as she pwned everyone in the Bending Battles.

And didn't Aang look adorable as a chibi?
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2007 09:14 pm by Tongone » Logged
EndlessFlame55
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Riddle Me This, Riddle Me That~

« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2007 09:30 pm »

That Chibi short was the best thing in the world. The qoutes that were used for it won everything. I think that my favorite lines was when Katara went all fangirly over Zuko, and him shouting 'I'm not tiny or cute!' and Iroh's 'You are very cute my tiny nephew'. That had me laughing for minutes. I also liked how Iroh was the cheerleader person along with Momo and Appa. XP But I think Iroh's final line took the cake, it was very surprising and quite funny. He just .poof. ran away with Zuko.

Whomever wrote this, (I never read the credits other then the voices) win BIG points for the hilarious dialogue. The only thing that bugged me is how Toph was drawn, and played out through the short. They could have done her better, epscally in her voice, but I'm not complaining...the rest of the humor makes up for it.

I must say, Greg did a wonderful job with Iroh's voice, by the end of the short, I could have bet money that it sounded almost just like Mako. All in all, this was an great short, it made me laugh and it was awesome, I'll be watching it many times over and over. <3 10/10

*~*ASN's Queen of Bromance*~* (Tumblr link in siggy. <3)

Keeper of: The 'Iroh Is Zuko's Father' theory, and the Irko reunion scene.
(I love these boys with my whole entire heart~)
Sultry
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2007 09:40 pm »

This chibi short was awesome. Definitely one of my fav shorts. It had so many funny scenes. The 'You are very cute my tiny nephew' line was the best XD XD

My only complaint is that Toph looked like a boy! But I LOVED her earthbending moves.

Sig made by guitarfreak. Keeper of : Sokka's 'Bad Fire Nation baby', Mai's smile in 'The Awakening',  Tenzin's 'Oh, she tried' and Pabu's balloon belly after eating too many noodle
RoMaHazz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Avvie by EndlessFlame55. Thanks a bunch!

« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2007 09:51 pm »

For me, the best of the three.  Smiley  I was cracking up during the whole thing.

And I agree, Greg Baldwin makes a wonderful Iroh.

Keeper of: Toph's Fire Nation cape, Smellerbee's headband, Momo's peach, and Aang's sand sculpture of Appa
Nero
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2007 10:07 pm »

Well after so many complaints of "Where's Toph" and "Why didn't Toph have any lines" from SchoolTime Shipping, we get quite the opposite here. The gang each had ample lines of dialogue throughout the short and funny dialogue at that. These shorts are supposed to be so completely non-canon that the Avatar staff is allowed to get as crazy as they want to be. There's no shortage of Anime face faults throughout Bending battle and the characters are wackier than you've ever seen them. All in all it's as funny as Avatar is allowed to be and I'm grateful for that.

"Emo" is a bad adjective, please think hard before using it to describe people. "Emoing, "Emoly" and "Emoish" are not clever words. Neither is "Emo-tastic".
candycane
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I think...I've become a shipper!

« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2007 10:22 pm »

I loved it. Zuko was so cute and Sokka was beaten up like a dummy...even more than ususal. I like how Appa flipped his 8 upside-down. And Greg Baldwin does a fantastic job with Iroh's voice. Toph's huge booger still disgusted me, though >.<

The many looks of Zuzu
Keeper of:
The nickname Zuzu, Zuko's metamorphosis, Jet's messed up childhood, Sokka's tears
dianam41
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Zuko by Konietzko

« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2007 11:32 pm »

I love how Zuko's fire dragon got turned into volcanic ash by Katara's wave!  I bet that the creators have seen all the sculptures made from Mt. St. Helen's volcanic ash and used that as inspiration!
Gamabunta
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The Frog boss

« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2007 11:49 pm »

Ha, chibi Toph has no eyes.

Cute.
ejvaleros
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The Avatar has reincarnated into our world.

Mr+Evill+Jr lonelylovelessloser
« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2007 11:56 pm »

pwwwwwnned!  but fire is the best!!   fuh reaking awesome!  but wheres the continuation of school time shipping?

Keeper of Piandao's Lemon
circles
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Sep 12, 2007 12:41 am »

awwwh i want to see it!

it sounds heckof funny!
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #11 on: Sep 12, 2007 02:35 am »

This short is so cute and funny! I loved it when chibi Zuko turned into normal Zuko and "deflated" back into chibi form again. "I am neither cute nor tiny!" "You're very cute my tiny nephew." That was an awesome play with words.

Katara err.... splitting popsicled Sokka into tiny cubes and putting him back was rather shocking yet amusing at the same time. If she uses this technique in the Avatar World, whoa ho ho!

I loved how they made fun of The Great World being seen from the Moon with Toph's earthbending. The pin ball machine was hilarious too!

Ah... These shorts are awesome!

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Karalora
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Sep 12, 2007 10:16 am »

The impression I got from Toph's voice in this short is that Jessie Flower "chibified" her voice to go with the super-deformed drawing style. In any case, the concept is just wonderful. "You are very cute, my tiny nephew" might just be my new favorite Iroh quote.

Did anyone else notice that when Zuko and Iroh first appeared on the cliff edge, their poses were practically identical to the ones on the back of the SD tee-shirt?
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2007 10:17 am by Karalora » Logged

Why yes, as a matter of fact, I do write fanfiction.
ZukondKat
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

idk when i can get out of probation!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #13 on: Sep 12, 2007 01:40 pm »

aww look at tiny zuko so cute!! <3

keeper of the dangers of the serpants pass
keeper of zuko redirecting lightning in season 3
GEORGiE made this sexyfine sig and avatar
orcacam07
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Sep 12, 2007 03:41 pm »

Hahaha, Poor Sokka, being used as Everyone's dummy.

Hilarious, More entertaining then the Swamp Chibi.

Lei
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Apparently not.

« Reply #15 on: Sep 12, 2007 04:17 pm »

Ohhhhhhhhhh man. This was just fantastic.

Toph won. period.
I mean, the girl's blind, but still manages to make a perfect mountain-replication of her face!

I draw! (golly!)
Keeper of Sokka's beard and Toph's discarded soles.
watermistress
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

CURSES! foiled again.

Starshine9938@hotmail.com
« Reply #16 on: Sep 12, 2007 05:36 pm »

aw man. i cant see them. im broke (and I'm not really sure if they're selling them here yet...) but the screenshots look coolio!

jrayko187
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #17 on: Sep 12, 2007 10:38 pm »

i do think toph one this...she is incredible!!!!....humorous episode non the less

Selofain
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am a worm on a cloud.

« Reply #18 on: Sep 13, 2007 02:16 am »

Awesome, awesome short, but I can't help but feel sorry for Sokka in these couple shorts.

Oh man, the first time I heard the end credits, I nearly choked. Chibified music! Never new music could be cute like that...

Toph's shorts bothered me, but the bending- too funny. Just too funny.

Keeper of Old Ba Sing Se and Piandao's sword mastery
Qi Chin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I keep Katara's acrobatic dancing skills \(^_^)/

« Reply #19 on: Sep 13, 2007 04:14 am »

This one is plain awesome! Funny without end, the expressions and movements (Katara's little twirl while Sokka is showing his boomerang gesture) are priceless. The Zutara is funny as well, even though I don't support it, hehe.

Overall, a priceless short.

Qi

You are entitled to your own opinions, but you aren't entitled to your own facts.

"Anything that causes you to question the preconceptions you've come to love is a good thing." - Anna Helene Feulner

"There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance." - Ali Bin Abi Thalib[
Megagents
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: Sep 13, 2007 01:48 pm »

So Katara is in love with Zuko all of a sudden?
Saruko Takokinrui
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

MAIKO 4EVA.....DOWN WITH ZUTARA

« Reply #21 on: Sep 13, 2007 02:30 pm »

Toph was the cutest of them all i wants to cuddle with a chibi toph all day

Your Kung-fu is weak!!!!!
Move back five spaces
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ADORABLE!! <3333

« Reply #22 on: Sep 13, 2007 03:06 pm »

I just loved chibi Toph and chibi Aang, there where my favorites. Sokka was so funny holding the fish when he got out of the water. I also loved how Zuko got mad ans became the real Zuko. He was so cute!

Keeper of: Aang shirtlessness, Firebending Harmony in FM, Aang blindfolded & Aang walking away from the play
orcacam07
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #23 on: Sep 13, 2007 04:08 pm »

My favorite Quote:

"Now I hope that you can see, that Each elememnt has its own Strenghts, and weaknesses. BUT FIRE IS THE BEST!"

dragonofthewest
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #24 on: Sep 13, 2007 04:16 pm »

Awesome, awesome short, but I can't help but feel sorry for Sokka in these couple shorts.

Yeah, that was one of my first reactions too.  Why is he always the butt?  In the show at least he gets a few semi-heroic moments.   Tongue

I am gonne be really heterodox here and protest that Nick saved the worst for last...I thought "School Time" was far superior to both of these latest.  But chibification is always cool in its own right...for sheer cuteness.   Grin   Iroh's final line is totally in character.  And the fire dragon...awesome.   Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2007 06:25 pm by dragonofthewest » Logged

The proud keeper of: Cabbage Man's despair, Bosco's animal instincts, and Katara's kleptomania
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: