Apr 27, 2017 09:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Awkward Moments for Avatar Fans  (Read 143675 times)
PokemonLotty
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Swag.

« Reply #3550 on: Feb 06, 2012 03:20 pm »

Today in earth science some kids next to me randomly started talking about cacti and cactus juice, like out of nowhere, and I started cracking up along with my friend and everyone just awkwardly stared at us, knowing we were eavesdropping and wondering why cactus juice was so funny....
XD

Follow me on tumblr! Smiley
http://sub-maureen.tumblr.com/
Bre1003
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3551 on: Jul 13, 2012 03:27 pm »

I just finished reading all 143 pages of this thread. Anyway, here's my awkward moment;(I was at summer camp looking for Avatards. A girl had a T-Shirt that people were signing. I wanted to sign it.)
Me: Can I sign your shirt?
Girl: Sure! Just wait until _ is done.
Me: Do you watch Avatar? Smiley
Girl: Uh, sure? I've seen the movie.. Undecided
Me: Nevermind, that's not the one I'm talking about. *signs my name on shirt*

I like Death Note, Fruits Basket, Shugo Chara, and A:TLA!

Updated my profile in 2016 here, it's sad to see that my picture and signature went away. Also sad to see the size of the community; was it always this small? Ah, nostalgia....
JackSellington
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Star striking the fan.

« Reply #3552 on: Jul 13, 2012 10:17 pm »

I honestly don't have any awkward moments, but I have been trying to get my 27 year old brother to watch the show. It just feels a tad odd to try to get him to watch it, I just never have anything to say to convince him.

It's time for the feast!
The misspelling of my name is on purpose. Don't question it.
Upbeat
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

BROOOOLLLIIN.

« Reply #3553 on: Jul 13, 2012 10:21 pm »

Watching my friends use Boomerang on LoZ: "YOU'RE NOT USING IT RIGHT."

Like my signature? Check out more of my work here.
Keeper of Korra's illegal fishes in 101.
L7
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Hi*

« Reply #3554 on: Jul 14, 2012 06:09 pm »

It's one of my great pet-peeves when people discount quality entertainment just because the labels our society slaps onto this specific artistic medium. Open your eyes. You're missing an amazing story, depthful characters, freedom from stereotyped writing, philosophical meaning...there's just so much to like about this series...but it has a G rating so you think you're too "sophisticated" for it? Give me a break. How closed minded are some people? It drives me insane.

I'm judged for having good taste. What's up with that?

It's like comic books. First you had the comic book geeks that were derided for reveling in their medium that was also labeled "for children". Now, you can't escape the incessant and repetitive butchering of the superhero genre. It's like you have to tell the story in a way these simple minded knuckle-draggers can understand. Make the story more like the same one they've seen a million times, THEN they'll get it.

Oy vey.

Even Tina Fey stated in an interview that she would rather work on a G rated movie because it makes things more challenging. You have to be actually clever to be humorous instead of relying on throwing in a profanity to spice up an otherwise mundane performance.
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2012 06:11 pm by L7 » Logged
Janessy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3555 on: Sep 28, 2012 02:16 am »

Its funny.. nobody I know ever treats Avatar like "a kids show"
My classmates like it, my sister likes it, my dad likes it, my dad's friends like it..
My teacher likes it, too, he showed us episodes during class one time. And everyone watched it. Its surprising.. since students usually fall asleep while watching movies/TV in class.
So I guess I'm lucky to never have been made fun of, in that sense... I've never heard anyone call it just a "kids show."

The only awkward thing, is my disappointment when I realize my friends didnt watch a lot of my favorite episodes. But its really my own fault if Im disappointed, haha..

Prince Zukos Palace
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3556 on: Sep 28, 2012 10:59 am »

There was this one time I was in a bookstore and I was picking up one of the comic and some boy looked at the book and said, "I don't like that show." and then just casually walked off and started looking at other comic books. It was really awkward and I didn't say anything back because it took me by suprise along with the fact that I'm naturally shy.

Also, another time in a bookstore, I was carrying around the graphic novel version of The Last Airbender movie and trying to hide it under my arm because I know how much hate there is for the movie. I really didn't think the graphic novel version was anywhere near as bad as the movie though. The only thing that took some getting used to was the character designs not being the ones from the show.

Banner and Avatar by me.
Janessy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3557 on: Sep 28, 2012 08:34 pm »

I know a lot of people who haven't watched more than a few episodes of the show.. but I never heard anyone say that they didn't like it :O I've never heard anyone call Avatar bad, either.

And I never knew that there was a graphic novel version of TLA movie.. I guess I tried to keep away from the anything TLA related as much as possible ._.
Prince Zukos Palace
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3558 on: Sep 30, 2012 05:09 pm »

I know a lot of people who haven't watched more than a few episodes of the show.. but I never heard anyone say that they didn't like it :O I've never heard anyone call Avatar bad, either.

And I never knew that there was a graphic novel version of TLA movie.. I guess I tried to keep away from the anything TLA related as much as possible ._.
Well,this kid said he didn't like it. 0_0 Yep. There's a graphic novel version and it's much better than the movie itself.  The only annoying thing is that the characters are drawn like the actors from the liveaction movie instead of like the cartoon characters.  Suki and the other Kyoshi Warriors even get a short cameo in the graphic novel version.

Banner and Avatar by me.
Lux
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3559 on: Jan 12, 2013 01:04 am »

Not really awkward but I had a friend over and we had Avatar on in the background while getting ready to play a video game.
He said the show was alright, and I checked on my computer to see if any Avatar games were coming out that I would actually want to play.
I mentioned how the show had potential and what a great rpg it would make. Skyrim style!

He just stared at me for a moment before going "Dude... what is your obsession with this show?"
And I responded by lifting my arms in an exaggerated shrug; "I don't know!"
Lunar_Prodigy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3560 on: Feb 01, 2013 04:31 pm »

Many times when I have said that I am a fan people would reply by saying, "Is that the show with the kid that has a blue arrow on his head?" The first time I told one of my friends and she asked this. I went into this in depth explanation of how the arrow is a symbol of honor among the air nomads and the show is far more awesome than can be described in that way. My friend gave me this very strange look and just walked away. I felt very awkward. Now if someone asks me that, I just say in a very drawn out, annoyed, and disappointed voice, "Yes." That way I can avoid as awkward of a situation but it still is.

Keeper of Yue's "You didn't protect me" Sokka's "She's the moon, she flies by herself"
and Wan Shi Tong's understanding of the radio being "tiny men in boxes"
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #3561 on: Feb 01, 2013 07:09 pm »

Ah yes, there comes a point in ever geek's life where they realize that people who start off biased against anything that looks creative aren't going to have their minds changed by an explanation of the in-universe logic behind the design choice.

Me, I just say, "Yup, that's the one. You should consider doing something like that, yourself, because I know a lot of people get your face confused with other anatomical possibilities. An arrow would point them in the right direction."

Jullau
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3562 on: Feb 03, 2013 08:40 pm »

My friend and I are the only avatar fans at school, and we are talking about it all the time.  We used to hate all the weird looks and the ,"that is a stupid kid show" nonsense. Now, we don't care what people think about our fangirling.
illninofan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

An Empty Tome

« Reply #3563 on: Feb 05, 2013 05:54 pm »

I have to differentiate between the James Cameron movie and the series now when I say, "Not the movie with the blue guys, the show with the kid with the arrow on his head."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lunar_Prodigy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3564 on: Feb 05, 2013 11:29 pm »

I have to differentiate between the James Cameron movie and the series now when I say, "Not the movie with the blue guys, the show with the kid with the arrow on his head."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh yeah, wow I can't believe I almost forgot about that problem. At first it was very annoying to have to say Avatar the Last Airbender every time. Now I have gotten used to it but it still feels like people loose interest in what I am saying after so many syllables unfortunately.

Just the other day, someone actually thought I was saying I was a fan of The Last Airbender, the stupid movie. They seemed so lost when I explained to them that the show is so much better. They had not seen very much of the show and did not even recognize that there were such big differences.. I really did not know what to do about that poor deprived soul.

Keeper of Yue's "You didn't protect me" Sokka's "She's the moon, she flies by herself"
and Wan Shi Tong's understanding of the radio being "tiny men in boxes"
Maivry
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3565 on: Nov 17, 2014 01:32 pm »

So I have a group of online friends from a dorkier fandom, and for years I just observed their conversations about the TV shows they watched and never joined in... So when I finally had a TV show I actually cared about, and was willing to talk about, I asked if they had seen it. Their response?

Many times when I have said that I am a fan people would reply by saying, "Is that the show with the kid that has a blue arrow on his head?"

Yeahhh... Guess they only watch live action.

I'm super shy about my fandoms with strangers/friends and even family sometimes. If someone started talking about the show I wouldn't speak up. One time a classmate caught me doodling and recognized some Avatar characters, but I was only like, "Yeah, it's Avatar." More recently my brother invited me to rewatch ATLA with some friends of his (one of whom was mutual), and I was kind of excited to hang out with people who already loved Avatar... but it felt incredibly awkward. That was all in my head, but feeling awkward in your head is awkward enough. Grin

I've shared some of my fanart with a few close friends, and that felt less awkward but still made me feel earth-shatteringly vulnerable at first. Thank goodness they were totally nice about it.

ArtFicsGraphics
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #3566 on: Nov 17, 2014 02:07 pm »

Because Maivry do, arrrr.

Every french guy I know speak about Avatar as an anime or manga and when I usually tell them, they say that it's like "a manga".

Because I'm on the same country as them, I hate these poor guys down and kill them. Nobody mess with an avatar, arrr.

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3567 on: Nov 26, 2014 11:47 pm »

Sheesh you guys have cruel friends. My closest friends have at least watched A:TLA and a couple of them are still caught up with LoK.

Also my mom loves LoK. My sister stopped watching or caring after Book 1 of LoK.

But I haven't had many awkward moments with Avatar. Most people I know are accepting of it since either they watch it or have their own cartoon/guilty pleasure lol.

Other than my dad who sometimes mocks me for it. But he'll even sit down and watch it with me and ask me a whole bunch a questions lol.

My favorite: "So that arrow thing is a scar? Like Harry Potter??"

Me: "yeah something like that."

« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2014 11:50 pm by avatar_eric » Logged

Suyin BAEfong <3
Funkybender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3568 on: Nov 27, 2014 12:56 am »

Talking about ATLA or LOK offline is awkward in an of itself. I am very shy about fandoms I participate in outside of the actual fandom. I broached the subject with a friend of mine, a college classmate and firefighter, because he mentioned anime. I thought he might be receptive to animated shows. He said he'd check it out, so I guess we'll see what he thinks.

I still "weird" about cartoons at my age.
DashingDerps
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3569 on: Dec 24, 2014 09:55 pm »

I called my dog Azula once. Which by all means would have been fine had I not screamed it across the house.

pat82197
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3570 on: Dec 28, 2014 10:47 pm »

Me and my age group were like 7 or 8 when it came out so we all know about and we think of it as a "classic" kids show. I am in high school and in science when our teacher was talking about elements someone brought up ATLA and everyone was like "I love that show"

I love the Avatarverse. Besides the Avatarverse I am a massive fan of Star Wars and Lady Gaga.
Lordmistery
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3571 on: May 17, 2016 12:32 pm »

I understand the problem very much. May 25 I am turning 22 but I don't like it any lesser when I get older. I think there are so many life lessons on this TV show , even adults can learn from them. Describing Avatar as a Nickelodeon show, isn't what it deserves. The journey of Zuko , the life lessons of Iroh is nothing childish. There are so many dark themes throughout the show.  I am often asked why I like this  "kid show", but than I think they don't know where it is really about.

I am still so much in love with the characters, the avatar world, I still have so much joy in watching he TV Series and reading the comics, I don't hope it will end any time soon. It truly is for all ages.

"There really is no fathoming the depths of my hatred for this place."
- Mai in Return to Omashu
Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: