Sep 21, 2017 09:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Awkward Moments for Avatar Fans  (Read 150344 times)
Sarcastic Master
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #25 on: Sep 04, 2007 09:13 pm »

I don't really talk to anyone in school, so I don't really have many awkward moments with Avatar. Not that I'd lie about it, if anyone directly asked me if I watched Avatar: The Last Airbender I would say yes I do. I honestly think that if anyone assumes any animation is stupid they have alot to learn. What's funny though is that they sometimes watch little kids shows and cartoons like Foster's. Anything stupid and mindless is considered cool, unless it's on Nick.

I am an ASN PRIMORDIAL TITAN!
momoace
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #26 on: Sep 05, 2007 12:28 am »

One time at lunch, my friend was talking about these brats that she babysits, and she says "You should have seen the show that they were watching. It was so dumb". I asked her what show it was, expecting to hear Dora the Explorer, or Bob the Builder. She says "I think they said it was Avatar". Then I freaked out, put my hands above my head and waved them around, told her it was my favorite show ever, and asked her which episode it was. She looked very scared, but said "There was this girl with white hair, and a fish, and everything was all icy". I informed her that she shouldn't have watched that one to start out, since it was the season one finale, but she didn't sound interested, so I dropped it.
    Another time we were eating in pizza hut near Halloween, and one kid next to us had the best Aang costume, with the arrows and everything...I wanted to high-five him, but thought his parents might be concerned.
FRozenTacoGirl
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

mfw korra

« Reply #27 on: Sep 08, 2007 10:15 pm »

Well, once I was wearing my Avatar t-shirt at the mall (I'm a proud Avatard! Grin) and this guy told me his 6 year old brother watched that show.  That's half my age.  So I was like, "..And..?"  He rolled his eyes and walked away. xD

Also once I was on the phone with my friend (who also likes Avatar) and we were fangirling about Sokka and Zuko.  Then the topic came up about who's hotter. 

Well, I yelled "BUT ZUKO HAS A SEXY CHEST!"  right when her dad came in.  And the phone was on speaker. 

zukosass.tumblr.com
watermistress
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

CURSES! foiled again.

Starshine9938@hotmail.com
« Reply #28 on: Sep 08, 2007 10:40 pm »

Well, once I was wearing my Avatar t-shirt at the mall (I'm a proud Avatard! Grin) and this guy told me his 6 year old brother watched that show.  That's half my age.  So I was like, "..And..?"  He rolled his eyes and walked away. xD

Also once I was on the phone with my friend (who also likes Avatar) and we were fangirling about Sokka and Zuko.  Then the topic came up about who's hotter. 

Well, I yelled "BUT ZUKO HAS A SEXY CHEST!"  right when her dad came in.  And the phone was on speaker. 

=D
almost the same exact thing happened to me, only me and my other freind (who enjoys avatar but is not obsessed like me Wink ) and we happened to be discussing our fav characters and such. (he is a really big toph fan) well after a while we started comparing them. I of Course was fighting for Zuko (what 15 year old girl WOULDN'T?!) and I just happened to yell QUOTE "BUT ZUKO'S SO HOOOOOTTTTttttt!!!!" UNQUOTE. did I mention we were in the middle of the cafeteria? yeah. I got ALOT of weird looks after THAT little charade -_-'

Alpha
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

av by me

« Reply #29 on: Sep 08, 2007 10:55 pm »

Heh, one just happened a couple hours ago.

I was making this picture in Photoshop, when my dad walked in. Naturally, he asked what the hell I was doing and I had to stumble through explaining why I was putting the face of Christopher Walken on a little girl's body. So, yeah. He just turned around and left.

Fate
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Avvy made by caves.

« Reply #30 on: Sep 08, 2007 11:15 pm »

Kind of sad, really.  Up untill last year I was one of those people who thought that Avatar was a "kid's show," and yes, you would all have gotten weird looks from me.  I would watch commercials for Avatar and thibk "Man, what kind of idiot would watch this?"

But just look at me now.  I'm one of those idiots.

That's the thing:  those who don't like Avatar are those who don't watch it.
akst113
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

AVVIE AND SIG BY ME look for some in the fanmedia

« Reply #31 on: Sep 08, 2007 11:19 pm »

Maybe its not the Avatar fans that are idiots but the people who dont watch Avatar who are the idiots. Sorry I if I dont make since. Im just bored and trying to find something to do. Grin

SIG MADE BY ME!
CREATOR OF: "The Unkown Source"
KEEPER OF: Aangs ability to PWN when he freak out! Wink
Check out my website The Air Nomads
Fate
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Avvy made by caves.

« Reply #32 on: Sep 09, 2007 12:16 am »

There!  That's one way to look at it.

Therefore, my math teacher is an idiot.
Kyatto
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I need you to let me touch it.

« Reply #33 on: Sep 09, 2007 01:05 am »

This isn't really awkward so much as funny.

My brother and I were looking after my nephew. He was watching the tenth Land Before Time movie.  Little Foot questions his dad about why he left and then his dad goes on about how he searched the continent to try to find a better life for his family. Well, when it showed a sudden scene where there was fire and meteors and whatnot....

My brother goes: "AND THEN THE FIRE NATION ATTACKED!"

And the three of us burst out laughing.

So now that's become an inside joke when we see destruction. XD

Jintor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The post is that way ---->

« Reply #34 on: Sep 09, 2007 04:31 am »

Kyatto, that's hilareous.

I haven't really had any awkward moments because as far as I know, noone else at my school has ever even heard of the damn thing.

Except some guy who is extremely behind the times and listens to Death Metal and scares me.

He's scary.

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."
Noodles Aang Colbert
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

o.o

« Reply #35 on: Sep 09, 2007 06:11 am »

Well, I am a college student and as I am not really embarassed by it I do have an interesting story.  I had a course on psychology.  I did my report on anger and grief.  Not so strange?  I used "the desert" and relevant episodes of Avatar as a source.  In one section I used the example of Aang losing Appa and how he reacted along the way.  Luckily for me my prof knew where I was coming from since his children are fans.  I got an A too by the way.

ChibiChibiBear
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

You gotta deal with it.

« Reply #36 on: Sep 09, 2007 06:40 am »

Heh, one just happened a couple hours ago.

I was making this picture in Photoshop, when my dad walked in. Naturally, he asked what the hell I was doing and I had to stumble through explaining why I was putting the face of Christopher Walken on a little girl's body. So, yeah. He just turned around and left.

Totally laughed out loud. How strange for your father!

And I've had one near awkward moment I'll share.

I have this small binder full of drawings: avatar drawings(mostly those weird ships like Jeko and Zucest too). The other day before school started I was with two of my friends, one who knows and likes avatar(James) and the other who I kinda like and doesn't know anything about avatar or my weird obsession(Brandon). I then had to start frantically searching for a missing homework assignment, so I'm just randomly opening all my crap, and out comes the binder with my ridiculous drawings in it. James sees a drawing and says "Is that where they are?" because he knows I draw, but I won't let him see. So I hurriedly shut the binder before Brandon could look. And then he tried to take it from me! But I got outta that weird moment. Grin I would have been so embarrassed if he'd seen them.

Keeper of: Zuko's hatred of peasant life, Jet and Zuko's teamwork, Jet's obsession with Zuko, and the ship of Jetko!
Master of: Broadswords, hookswords, and
lurker17
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #37 on: Sep 09, 2007 09:28 am »

Okay, I've got one.  Cheesy

I was on the phone with my friend who had just recently gotten a youtube account and seen the season 3 trailer from SDCC. She (being a causal watcher) was floored by it's sheer awesomeness, and somehow we got on the topic of another Avatard friend of ours who ships Zutara.

I begin explaining shipping and such about the fandom, and she said "Yeah, I saw a fan made trailer, and it said 'Will Aang end up with Katara...or Toph?' and that really threw me off."

I responded, "Yeah, it's kinda weird. I don't think Aang and Toph would be good couple. And besides, I think Toph likes Sokka."

Dead silence on the other line, so added "You know, cause she kissed that girl when she thought it was Sokka." (I, by the way, knew that girl was Suki, but I was trying to appear less nerdy.  Undecided)

More silence and then, "Can we stop talking about this? It's weird, talking about relationships in a cartoon."

lmao, that statement is a bit ironic considering she never said anything to our friends who got into a shipping war during a football game, all the while complaining they were missing the new episode. Well, to be fair they got a lot of weird looks...(they WERE screaming "KATAANG!" and "ZUTARA!" *sigh* my friends...  Tongue)
leech
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #38 on: Sep 09, 2007 09:37 am »

It happened just a minute ago^)).
A friend of ours (girl, 22 years old) was playing checkers with my husband. I (girl, 21) came in the living room for a sec to ask my husband (21) "Do u think it will be ok if I went here (our appartement) for half an hour to record episode 301 of the Avatar?" (my husband and I will have to leave our appartement for a while because it will be renovated, so I will have no internet access except for our university but it's forbidden to dowload movies from there). He said "sure!!

And a friend of ours looked at me VERY accusingly and said  " it is SO weird for girl of YOUR age to be interested in a cartoon"....

IS IT???

Keeper of:
Mai's "Just take the bear"
Iroh's "The secret ingredient is love"
Zuko's "I have changed"
Sokka's "Please accept this humble and tasty offering! Thank you"
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Monk's Gone Wild (IZ TEH BIGGEST ZUTARIAN ON ASN)

« Reply #39 on: Sep 09, 2007 12:34 pm »

...no...most awkward thing ever...was i should this guy at my school the naked Aang picture...and he asked me "Why are you carrying this around"....awkward!!

Keeper of Aang discovering he had hair, Zuko&Katara first mission together

I thanked everyone who made me icon/sig on DA. General/Commander AA22 of the Zutarmy. Master of the weapon Zutaratana!
phxdown
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #40 on: Sep 09, 2007 12:41 pm »

^why were you carrying it around?
kiriseth
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #41 on: Sep 09, 2007 01:01 pm »

I think my fellow college-age Avatards can appreciate how difficult it is to watch new episodes when you're cramped in a dorm the size of a bathroom and your roommate is destined to be a soccer mom. Oh no, animation! Oh no, eastern philosophy! Oh no, something different!

I'm in an apartment this year. Got my own room. Got my own TV. I'm all set Grin

Ummmm... First of all, I'm a bit offended by the "soccer mom" comment.  I'm 30 years old, single mom to a 9 year-old son, and I AM a soccer mom, yet I'm a huge fan of the show.  I'm the one who got my son to watch it, and while we both enjoy it, I'm more into it than he is.  He enjoys it for the action and sense of adventure, but I love it for the action and the philosophies and intelligence behind it.  There, that ends that rant. 

Anyway, to keep with the theme of this posting, I will say that my embarrassing Avatar moments usually come when I start raving on my blog about it, or in conversations with my other 30+ year-old friends, and their reaction is usually along the lines of "Dude, you're obsessed with this show.  It's animation!"  But then, I point out (to one person in particular) her obsession with "Pink Floyd's The Wall" and how a major portion of that is animation, and she shuts up.  With the others, I merely remind them of how obsessed they used to be with other animated shows, and they shut up about it.

Mother of Stinkbumps the Wonderboy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Monk's Gone Wild (IZ TEH BIGGEST ZUTARIAN ON ASN)

« Reply #42 on: Sep 09, 2007 01:46 pm »

^why were you carrying it around?

i wanted to show my friend i wasn't lying about Aang looking lke he was naked

Keeper of Aang discovering he had hair, Zuko&Katara first mission together

I thanked everyone who made me icon/sig on DA. General/Commander AA22 of the Zutarmy. Master of the weapon Zutaratana!
Sapphira
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #43 on: Sep 09, 2007 08:43 pm »

I have fresh one...as in this afternoon.  (So I leave lurker mode to share.)

Two of my friends--who had never met before--my sister and I were running errands around town when my only avatar buddy turns to me exclaiming, "Hey, we need to watch more Avatar--you said you'd catch me up on Season 2."  (Being an avatard, I own the dvds of course...)

I turn a horrible shade of red, nearly plow into the car in front of me when my sister replies,  "You really watch that show?  Oh god, my boyfriend's six-year-old niece watches it."

My friend's defense, "Shut up, it's very sophisticated..."

Luckily, the subject was dropped, but I'm unfortunately a closet fan.  Should embrace my avatardness!
raven2313
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Katara and Aang Forever

shamed_raven@hotmail.com
« Reply #44 on: Sep 09, 2007 09:02 pm »

The most awkward thing that ever happened to me with avatar was when i start to cry from some episodes like when the big love scences happen or the sad moments especialy like especialy when aang gets hit by the lighting and katara starts to cry...reason its so awkward for me is couse when my parents or brother see me crying couse of the show they be like that f**king sad...16 year old crying couse of a cartoon...i dont see it that way im just VERY emotional...
Saucebender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #45 on: Sep 10, 2007 09:16 pm »

I'm 31 years old, married, with 3 kids.  I HATE Desperate Housewives, reality tv and the news.  But I LOVE Avatar.  Sometimes, when I'm watching it w/my fam I have to hide my face when Zuko is on so my hubby can't see me blushing.  We were watching The Serpent's Pass and when Sokka and Suki kissed my 3 year old daughter (who has a crush on Sokka) made a funny grunting noise, like she was angry.  She wouldn't say why, so my hubby asked her if she thought Sokka was cute.  She said "yes, but Zuko's HOT, right Mommy?"  Oops.

But my really embarassing story is this:
We got DVR in February, which was when I was just getting into Avatar.  The cable guy was showing me how to record shows and I asked if he could record one right then.  (Avatar was about to start, and it was an ep that I hadn't seen yet.)  So he did and he was watching it for a minute and looking at me, probably because I was really into the story.  I tried to play it off, I told him "this is my son's favorite show, he'll be psyched when he sees that it's been recorded."

The cable guy seemed to buy it and went back to explaining to new remote to me.  About 5 minutes later my kids come into the room and when my son sees what's on tv, he says to the cable guy, "This is Avatar, it's my mom's favorite show, she makes us watch it with her ALL the time!  She likes Zuko!"

Many thanks to Sunshine State for my awesome sig!
MarcusAurelius21
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #46 on: Sep 11, 2007 03:10 pm »

Saucebender, those were my two favorite stories yet! "Right, but Zuko's HOT! Right Mommy?" LOL
leech
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #47 on: Sep 11, 2007 03:14 pm »

Saucebender, this story is HILLARIOUS!! Wink Wink (tonnes of laugh)

Keeper of:
Mai's "Just take the bear"
Iroh's "The secret ingredient is love"
Zuko's "I have changed"
Sokka's "Please accept this humble and tasty offering! Thank you"
FullMetal TR
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

By Luna. <3

« Reply #48 on: Sep 11, 2007 03:15 pm »

Okay, being a sixth grader, i'm not considered "Too old" for Avatar, but around school, my friends and i get some pretty weird stares. Today at lunch. we had to stay inside at recess, so my friend deicided to work on my fanfic (Don't ask why, i don't know either) and this other girl (who I barely know) came up and asked, "Did you write all of that just now?" and, being shy like I am, i flipped over the paper, and she simply gave us a weird look and walked away.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The Ultimate Tag Team

« Reply #49 on: Sep 11, 2007 04:26 pm »

I'm 25, and got into a year ago when while watching my neighbors kids they watched a mini-marathon of season 1.  Thought it had some good philosophical themes and during season 2, I would actually stay in until 9pm on Friday nights to watch it and meet up with friends later.  They have no idea what the show is, just that I like it, so while it's not awkward for me, it's kinda VERY weird that a 25 yr. old plans his Friday nights around a kids show.

at least I still make it out though...right?
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: