Nov 24, 2017 07:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Awkward Moments for Avatar Fans  (Read 153324 times)
tophsecret21
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

WATCH OUT! THAT CHICK'S GOT A...HAIRBRUSH?

« on: Sep 03, 2007 09:37 pm »

This post is mainly for, but is not limited to, the slightly "older audience" of avatar (you don't have to say anything, you know who you are Wink). This post deals with fans out there who have found themselves in embarassing situations as a result of avatar fandom. And because I don't want anyone to feel like they have to be the first, I'll start off, since I'll probably be isolated after I post this.

I was on a bus with my little brother "talking avatar" as we affectionately call it, he's about 6 or 7 years younger than me. So another kid, who's about the same age as him and sitting next to us, overhears and starts adding to the conversation, at which point I start to quiet down. And heeeeeeeres where it gets awkward. They start talking about thier favorite episodes, specifically where, I quote this, "the girl got her hands burned". Now to some of you out there you probably recognize immediatly which episode I'm referring to as did I, and so against my better instincts, I politely corrected them on a few errors (man I sound like a nerd Undecided). And thus, I ended up correcting my little brother and unknowingly several strangers sitting next to me on the finer parts of Avatar. Yeah, I got some pretty wierd faces coming off the bus  Huh :'( Cheesy.

But hey, don't let me ramble on, I know there are others out there, share your embarassment with the world!
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2007 10:42 pm by tophsecret21 » Logged

Keeper of the Two-Headed Fish and the Combustion Man\'s Ravenhawk.
dianam41
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Zuko by Konietzko

« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2007 09:46 pm »

I watch with my kid - so I've got a beard...and I can talk to him about it, and his friends, and they think I'm pretty cool - but I know a lot about Pokemon & Zelda too, so I am a pretty cool mom... Grin
manonlechat
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

it's better on planet zutara

« Reply #2 on: Sep 03, 2007 10:05 pm »

What's awkward for me is that there are only two people within my social set with whom I can discuss Avatar.  And even they have no idea how much I like this show (though they did introduce me to it)!  (And I don't think I could tell any of my "real life" friends about the fanfiction, eep!)  Cheesy

It's a shame.  I have friends who are deeply into The Sopranos, or Lost, or The Office, but start raving about a kid's cartoon on Nickelodeon and you start getting the funny stares...  *sigh*

Keeper of Zuko's inability to tell a lie, Katara's sense of self-righteousness & Zuko and Katara's first kiss
My Fanfic Is Here.
Painted Lady
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Sep 03, 2007 10:05 pm »

I'm a college student, but a group of friends and myself like to watch it for the heck of it.  Although we watch it with varying degrees of fanaticism.  This is the only cartoon I watch and I honestly can't figure out why it grabs me.  Last semester, I would watch missed episodes on my computer (this and Grey's Anatomy) and my roommates would chuckle as they would see me glued to the screen with the shades down to keep the glare away.  But no embarrassing moments.
PnkPath
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

An Original Avatard

« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2007 10:07 pm »

well me and my friend are the only avatards at our school so obviously most other people at our school think that any show on nick is for babies.  so one day my friend wanted me to bring her one the avatar "the lost scrolls" books i had bought so she could take it home and read it, and the only time i could give it to her was at lunch.  i had to quickly take it out of my bag and stuff it in my jacket and then run over to her and then we both huddled around her bag and ripped it open and stuffed it in really fast.  apparently this was a spectacle and everyone was starring at us like we were mentally challenged or something and then when  people started asking us what we were doing i said "*shifts eyes* i can't tell you that..." and so yeah that's the end of my "akward avatard moment"...if that counts as an "akward avatar moment"

" width="400" height="200" border="0
Keeper of Aunt Wu's bean-curd puffs & Master Yu's coupon

Shippinggg... Ursai & Howrra
candycane
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I think...I've become a shipper!

« Reply #5 on: Sep 03, 2007 10:21 pm »

None for me except my family ALWAYS bugs me when I watch it. "You like that show?" they ask... Roll Eyes

But I'm not embarrassed one bit because I know Avatar is a really interesting intelligent show. Just because it's animated shouldn't matter. I've seen a lot dumber live action shows that people like and have no problem openly stating my love of the show. I'm almost 18 and think Avatar is highly sophisticated and funny for any television show. If some people are too closed-minded to give it a chance, well, they're missing out.

(End rant.)

The many looks of Zuzu
Keeper of:
The nickname Zuzu, Zuko's metamorphosis, Jet's messed up childhood, Sokka's tears
Haoqi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Zutara: As long as it's in my heart, it's real.

« Reply #6 on: Sep 03, 2007 10:30 pm »

I hear you candycane!  I always talk about Avatar.  Doesn't matter where I'm at or who I'm with.  I'm not at all embarrassed.  And if people give me strange looks, I usually end up making them feel silly for trying to make me feel silly by saying stuff like, "Oh my gosh, you think that show is dumb?!  Have you ever even watched it?  Don't knock it until you try it!"  And I say it with such passion and happiness that people seem to regret trying to make me feel stupid, and their opinion sometimes even changes.

So yeah, I've not had any awkward moments as far as this show is concerned.  I'm so comfortable with it that people who don't understand it doesn't bother me.

I am a Zuko fan.  Through his storms of pain, rage, confusion, and yes, stupidity, I stuck with him, along with a handful of others.  On the day of the Eclipse, he proved that it was worth it.
Lin Tam
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Sep 03, 2007 10:31 pm »

I was in the video store today and there was this guy with his kid looking at the animated DVDs, so I pointed to Avatar and said "have you seen this?". He pulled out a disk and looked at the cover and said "It's not my kinda thing.". I said "It's really good, a lot of adults like it.", but he wasn't interested. I felt a little awkward. Embarrassed

Shersh chatty monkey.
Haoqi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Zutara: As long as it's in my heart, it's real.

« Reply #8 on: Sep 03, 2007 10:33 pm »

I was in the video store today and there was this guy with his kid looking at the animated DVDs, so I pointed to Avatar and said "have you seen this?". He pulled out a disk and looked at the cover and said "It's not my kinda thing.". I said "It's really good, a lot of adults like it.", but he wasn't interested. I felt a little awkward. Embarrassed

Ah well, don't let it worry you.  He doesn't know what he's missing!

I am a Zuko fan.  Through his storms of pain, rage, confusion, and yes, stupidity, I stuck with him, along with a handful of others.  On the day of the Eclipse, he proved that it was worth it.
dianam41
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Zuko by Konietzko

« Reply #9 on: Sep 03, 2007 10:46 pm »

I lent my kid's Tae Kwon Do master the first DVD of the first season so he could know what made my kid want to take martial arts - hopefully, I'll make an Avatard out of him!
candycane
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I think...I've become a shipper!

« Reply #10 on: Sep 03, 2007 11:01 pm »

^ that's cool dianam. I noticed that Avatar fans are some of the most enthusiastic fans around. Always suggesting and converting  Smiley

The many looks of Zuzu
Keeper of:
The nickname Zuzu, Zuko's metamorphosis, Jet's messed up childhood, Sokka's tears
Lin Tam
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #11 on: Sep 03, 2007 11:05 pm »

Ah well, don't let it worry you.  He doesn't know what he's missing!

I should have mentioned I'm 40 years old.

Shersh chatty monkey.
ignite444
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

A Kataang shipper to the end!

« Reply #12 on: Sep 03, 2007 11:12 pm »

I've never really been in any awkward situation, but I find it very awkward to talk about the show to people who don't know what it is/don't like it/don't care for it. So I pretty much keep things to myself to avoid awkward situations.

Banner made by me, do not steal! If you want to use it, ask me first.

Join my site! Avatar Dream (New custom skin up!)
crazy4tunes
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

O~O Moon spirit?

« Reply #13 on: Sep 03, 2007 11:13 pm »

Well I always talk to my friends about the subject,it scares them and then theres a long awkward slilence.Half of the time they don`t even know who azula is.More awkward slilence.Then I talk about with my dad.He knows about creeps me out and I walk away.I`m not that old but I fell very awkward talking about avatar,I`m like the Real avatard in the group,they like avatar but not as much as me.

Earth_Lizard is the (awesome) creator of my avatar

The empty locket [comdey/romance]
UncleIroh
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

My beloved Lu Ten; I will see you again.

« Reply #14 on: Sep 04, 2007 05:21 am »

I've never really been in any awkward situation, but I find it very awkward to talk about the show to people who don't know what it is/don't like it/don't care for it. So I pretty much keep things to myself to avoid awkward situations.
Exact same situation with myself.

Sig by storm-of-insanity

Iroh could use some more loving...
Perhaps we could hook him up with all the Joo Dees?
Airwalker
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Be Afraid

« Reply #15 on: Sep 04, 2007 06:17 am »

I'm into a lot of shows that are aimed at the younger demographic and by that i mean like younger that 15 or whatever. I get hooked on these shows by circumstance. I'd usually just be channel surfing or catch the end or start of a show when i'm taping something that i can't watch cause i'm working or away. I caught the ending of the fortuneteller once when taping danny phantom while at work one day. I was immediatly hooked. So from then on i'd tape every episode i could and it's like i'm in my own little world for 20 or so minutes and parents and sisters just look at me as if to say 'do we know you' or 'you need phyciatric help' or something like that. But i'm always just like whatevs this show stadium rocks. It wasn't until one day that some of my parents friends came over that i actually found myself embarrassed. They have two boys a 4 yr old and a 6 yr old and i'd just got the first season on dvd and was watching the second ep when the 6 yr old walks in and says 'are you watching avatar' and i'm like yeah and his parents heard and asked 'do like that show?' and my parents piped up and said yeah it's she's obsessed with it to which they replyed oh it's our kids favourite show aswell. Then my mum was like 'so your favourite show is the favourite show of a 4 and 6 yr old.... and you're how old? 19?'. Of course my parents and their friends found it hilarious and proceeded to laugh it up. I, though slightly embarassed by the revelation, responded with the comeback i use around my friends, 'What can i say i'm still a kid at heart and i plan on it remaining that way for a while yet.'

Its not how long it takes to finish the race, we all get there eventually, its how you run the race that matters.
Ice Angel
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

icon by Serene-Soul (me)

bloodbender+XX
« Reply #16 on: Sep 04, 2007 08:04 am »

None of my friends are interested in Avatar, but they won't even give it a chance. One of my really good friends is obsessed with "Rent" (the musical) and sometimes when I come over I have to listen to her blab on and on about it and watch all these Rent videos and stuff on the computer. Not only is it extremely boring, it's unfair, I gave Rent lots of chances for my friend (but turns out that I'm just not interested in it); I want her to watch one episode or at least the season 3 trailer but she acts like it's poisonous for her to watch anything Avatar. And now, when Avatar or Rent comes up it can get really awkward and uncomfortable  Sad.
I don't tell or show anyone at school that I like Avatar either, they'd all probably assume that it's a stupid show and that I'm weird for liking it or whatever. Although I know of two other people who watch it, I don't know if they're Avatards or not and I'm pretty shy about this stuff (unfortunately). I just wish I had the courage to be open about it.
« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2007 10:18 am by Ice Angel » Logged

Kataang <3
& Sokkla, Maiko, Yuokka !
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

For the Glory of the Fire Lord!

« Reply #17 on: Sep 04, 2007 10:10 am »

and I thought the usa was open-minded...hah! I'm FIlipino, 21 years old, about to get a job as a nurse, and despite that, I simply can't not love atla. I've a bunch of male friends watching atla with girls of the same age, we talk about it a lot and there are no "issues" hindering us from making a fuss bout it...I believe there are more out there who are outside the target demography but watch the show...I actually feel bad bout you guys...sympathies

keeper of the Avatar movie scripts:p
keeper of Uncle Iroh's Songee horn
prime witness of Monk Gyatso's murder
Irohfan67
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

liltyz4800
« Reply #18 on: Sep 04, 2007 08:05 pm »

Honestly, i don't really feel that awkward being an avatar fan...as many people have already said I am proud to be an avatard.
zaphyrai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

According to him, I'm beautiful, incredible!

« Reply #19 on: Sep 04, 2007 08:21 pm »

well, I'm 16 and I go to an all-girl highschool. There's this one girl who was in my classes last year who was the epitome of cool, everyone was friends with her and she's really funny and just basically a cool person to be around. One day i heard her talking about Avatar like it was the best thing since sliced bread to another girl who was like "oh god...can I like, die now?" but I was so into it. She told me when it was on and to check it out, since she really needed people to talk to about it. I was intrigued. but I didn't check it out for weeks and when I finally did it was by accident. By the time the finale rolled around I was caught up and me and this girl were having animated conversations about Avatar during Art class. a girl who sat next to her was like "You honestly watch that? isn't that show like, for babies?" and the other girl said "Well you watch Wonderpets." and the other girl's like "good point." it was funny.

Anyway, awkward moment, right. I was getting this other girl interested in Avatar, i told her the characters names and my favorite moments and such, and she goes online poor girl and watches every single epp and is done by January. Of course I had no idea when it was coming back, so it was a daily ritual, She coming to ask me when new episodes would air and me having little or no idea when. I felt like I failed her when June rolled around and I hadn't found out for her. The other girl was dissapointed too. we were all like "I hope they didn't cancel it". but thank god they didn't and I'm gonna get to talk with my Avatar buddies again! YAY!

I'm even getting my best friend into it. I'm spreading the loooooooove. hehe

iKeep: Katara's laughter and Aang's air marbles ^_^
umeko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Diet Otaku, you are indeed brilliant :)

« Reply #20 on: Sep 04, 2007 08:26 pm »

I think my fellow college-age Avatards can appreciate how difficult it is to watch new episodes when you're cramped in a dorm the size of a bathroom and your roommate is destined to be a soccer mom. Oh no, animation! Oh no, eastern philosophy! Oh no, something different!

I'm in an apartment this year. Got my own room. Got my own TV. I'm all set Grin

Apparently I'm not a horrible writer Wink
SimpleBend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

simplebend@hotmail.com
« Reply #21 on: Sep 04, 2007 08:28 pm »

What's awkward for me is that there are only two people within my social set with whom I can discuss Avatar.  And even they have no idea how much I like this show (though they did introduce me to it)!  (And I don't think I could tell any of my "real life" friends about the fanfiction, eep!)  Cheesy

It's a shame.  I have friends who are deeply into The Sopranos, or Lost, or The Office, but start raving about a kid's cartoon on Nickelodeon and you start getting the funny stares...  *sigh*

I know how you feel! The only persons who I can talk with about Avatar are my cousin and my older brother. I try to explain my Dad how good Avatar really is but he just rolls his eyes at me the whole time. Only my two best friends, one cousin and my family know how much I love Avatar.

Keeper of the Iroh's love for Lu Ten, Lt. Jee's smile, Jeong Jeong's wisdom and Zhao's evil smile.

Citizen of the Fire Nation capitol.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Monk's Gone Wild (IZ TEH BIGGEST ZUTARIAN ON ASN)

« Reply #22 on: Sep 04, 2007 08:29 pm »

omg...i know what that's like. i was in my drama class and me and this one guy i know were debating on season 3 and i shouted something from season 3 i shouted "Did you see the picture of Azula in her swim suit?!" and then some random dude next to me asked who Azula is...so i didn't tell him. awkward!

Keeper of Aang discovering he had hair, Zuko&Katara first mission together

I thanked everyone who made me icon/sig on DA. General/Commander AA22 of the Zutarmy. Master of the weapon Zutaratana!
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ADORABLE!! <3333

« Reply #23 on: Sep 04, 2007 08:36 pm »

I have an awakard moment.

I was telling my friends about my new PSP and since I bought the avatar video game they asked what games I had. I said avatar and they looked at me with this smile on my face like saying "That's a kid's show"

Keeper of: Aang shirtlessness, Firebending Harmony in FM, Aang blindfolded & Aang walking away from the play
Zubby
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Thanks Maivry!

« Reply #24 on: Sep 04, 2007 09:03 pm »

Yeah, tell me about it!
Actually, I'm pretty lucky in this regard. My partner watches Avatar, two of my best friends (a married couple) watch it and own the dvd's, and my older sister and I watched the entire first season over Thanksgiving weekend last year (we'll probably do the same with season 2 this year). Another good friend watches Avatar, and is a huge anime geek, so he understands.

Everyone who knows me eventually figures out that most of what I watch on tv is animation. Avatar isn't so hard to defend. It's much more difficult trying to find adults willing to talk about Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends!

Korrasami is canon-you gotta deal with it!
keeper of Appa, keeper of Aang's wanted poster
keeper of Sokka's sarcasm, keeper of Monk Gyatso's statue
Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: