Nov 15, 2019 09:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dax's Art Room (UPDATED: 12/29/07)  (Read 9671 times)
Dax
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

good thing he ain't all glowy yet

« on: Aug 10, 2007 07:27 am »

Updates separated by asterisks (*)
From latest to oldest
(mm/dd/yy)

Just a collection of some of my Avatar Fan Art. Slow progress, I know. So far I like how the things I done turned out well. Enjoy! Most of these link to my Deviant Art. Watch me if you want. XD
http://daxtah.deviantart.com/

NEW:
* Destiny of the Avatar (11/12/07)
Some Wallpaper I made from a screenshot. I enjoyed how this turned out. It's in high quality so download. Smiley

* Toph Blushes 2 - No Shipping Yet (10/27/07)
I like how this turned out. Toph in her smexy S3 outfit. I still don't know how I'm going to put Sokka in the final output. Cheesy

OLD:
* Toph Blushes - Tuke! (9/29/07)
I'm finally done with my final output for the Toph Blushes Project. I hope you enjoy this! Comment if you please. Cheesy

* Toph Blushes - Complete Shading and Coloring! (9/28/07)

* Season 3 Fan Poster (9/18/07)

I had fun doing this one. Can't wait for the premiere! Just days away!

* Toph Blushes (9/12/07)

My new project, Toph Blushes! Click 'em to take a look at my DeviantArt. Comment if you please. Cheesy

I used the Timid Toph sketch to help me with this. I'm still working on it when I have time. I just have to do the shadings and the background. I need to think of some funny concepts too. Cheesy

* Timid Toph Sketch (8/17/07)

I really like how this turned out better than my first two drawings. I just have to fix things up and learn to have a more critical eye to observe Toph's facial features.

* Toph Drawing Trial 2 (8/11/07)

I had fun experimenting with coloring and also the sketch. This came out a little bit better than my first trial. Tongue

* My First Toph Drawing Trial (8/10/07)

My first time drawing Toph! It was interesting trying to draw her with so many erasures. Hehe, I hope I can improve on this much better.
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2007 03:22 am by Dax » Logged

Defeat the Fire Lord. Save the World. Icon and Sig by me. Cheesy
My Art Room.
ginevra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Don't mess with the pitchfork.

« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2007 09:46 am »

I'd say that the first one is the better of the two, simply because it appears to have more symmetry and balance along with more ... tophiness? The hair is still a little rough; smooth, flowing lines are best with hair. (If I could change one thing about this pic, I would remove the tiny little section of her jaw in the lower left hand corner; it makes her jaw seem to get really small really fast and takin that one line away would give her face the breadth that it has in the reference screenshot.) The second one needs more structure, I think. When you're sketching, try to find the underlying shapes of Toph's face shape before you try anything else (like facial expressions) and the end result will have much more unity.

Keep on trying, because these are already really good, especially for a first attempt! (Photoshop is a nice touch, too. Wink )

I hope that helps, as criticism goes. Grin

My FanArt | Other Art | dEvrart

=]---- Pitchforks pwn.
Dax
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2007 10:07 am »

I'd say that the first one is the better of the two, simply because it appears to have more symmetry and balance along with more ... tophiness? The hair is still a little rough; smooth, flowing lines are best with hair. (If I could change one thing about this pic, I would remove the tiny little section of her jaw in the lower left hand corner; it makes her jaw seem to get really small really fast and takin that one line away would give her face the breadth that it has in the reference screenshot.) The second one needs more structure, I think. When you're sketching, try to find the underlying shapes of Toph's face shape before you try anything else (like facial expressions) and the end result will have much more unity.

Keep on trying, because these are already really good, especially for a first attempt! (Photoshop is a nice touch, too. Wink )

I hope that helps, as criticism goes. Grin
Wow, thanks! That certainly helps a lot! I'll try to practice more definitely. Cheesy

My Art Room.
Dax
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2007 11:54 pm »

UPDATE:
Added trial #2. Comments pl0x? Cheesy

My Art Room.
Kumani
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Never forget who you are.

« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 2007 11:31 am »

the pencil one s prettier, but toph's smile looks a bit weird, the other picture of her eyes is amazing

good job Smiley

They’re gonna rip up your heads and your aspirations to shreds, another cog in the murder machine
Dax
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2007 12:01 am »

the pencil one s prettier, but toph's smile looks a bit weird, the other picture of her eyes is amazing

good job Smiley
Thanks! I'll try to redo the one where half of Toph's face is showing.

My Art Room.
ATLAfan22
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

wow i'm old.

« Reply #6 on: Aug 12, 2007 12:07 am »

hey could i submit one? well check my siggy i guess, i drew that...anyway i can't fix it up or anything cuz my pc goes all crazy about the memory if i install it so..yeah. But just to be sure i don't think i could make it bigger...
urs r pretty good, i like the one that zooms up on the eyes better Smiley
Dax
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Aug 12, 2007 12:24 am »

hey could i submit one? well check my siggy i guess, i drew that...anyway i can't fix it up or anything cuz my pc goes all crazy about the memory if i install it so..yeah. But just to be sure i don't think i could make it bigger...
urs r pretty good, i like the one that zooms up on the eyes better Smiley
Wow, you have nice drawings too. Let's see them colored. Cheesy

My Art Room.
Sula
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Why yes I am a hot man.

« Reply #8 on: Aug 12, 2007 12:40 am »

Remember...drawing is 90% observation, 10% perspiration(or putting your pencil to a page ;P). Whenever you're drawing something, either from life or from a photo reference, remember that you should be spending much MUCH more time studying what the object looks like. Observe relationships between features. By that I mean look at the shapes of certain things compared to other parts. How do they relate in size, location, angles...etc. Use that to help you plot your drawing and place features.

I'm going to venture a guess and say that your left brain is filling in a lot of blank spots. It's basically trying to force you into drawing symbols, or simple representations, of what you're looking at. It helps to shut this part of the brain off by looking and studying more of the shapes and lines. You may have experienced this feeling...like zoning out and tuning out all distractions till the only thing you notice is what you're drawing.

Also, remember to think about form. You're drawing a 2d representation of a 3 dimensional object(in the world of Avatar that is). Think of 3 dimensional shapes and use them to build your drawing. Even though they're on paper, we still want to give the illusion that they have depth to them. The front of the face won't be a flat plane, but rounded. Again, this mostly deals with observation! So, keep observing.

Also, another tip. Stick to pencils for now. Don't even bother with photoshop or Painter or whatnot. It hinders your progress, trust me. But if you want to do outlines, I suggest using artist pens. Faber Castell makes awesome ones. They have a brush like tip and you can control line weight with them. Pencils will teach you how to control your hand. I noticed that your lines have a hairiness to them, like the lines have been gone over several times. I do something called "ghosting". Lift your pencil slightly above the page, but keep your hand on the page, and make the motion as if you were about to draw a line. Repeat this motion a few times until you feel you can draw this line quickly in *one* fell swoop. If done quickly and correctly, you'll notice that your line will not have any jitters. It'll be clean and confident. However, this is mostly done with pens, where you only have one chance to do it right. Pencils allow you to cheat...you can teach yourself to control the pressure of the pencil and only allow a tiny bit of graphite to touch the page. Apply very light pressure and don't worry if the lines aren't completely crystal clear.

Whew that was long lol...hope that helps.

You will melt faces as a firebender in pvp.

http://sulanebouxi.deviantart.com/

Faces shall be melted.
Dax
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: Aug 12, 2007 03:48 am »

Whew that was long lol...hope that helps.
Haha! Of course it helped! Thank you so much for your comment! I'm really going to do more penciling this time. Since I don't have a tablet, that could be the best idea on how I can practice. Thanks for the tips! Yeah, I know, gentle strokes do give cleaner lines, and are easier to erase. Sometimes when you put too much pressure, when you erase it, you'll see there are still marks.

Anyways, thanks again! I'm putting this into consideration! I need more free time for drawing. Cheesy

My Art Room.
Dax
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Aug 18, 2007 05:01 am »

Update:
Here's another attempt to draw her.

« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2007 08:30 am by Dax » Logged

My Art Room.
Dax
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #11 on: Aug 29, 2007 10:12 am »

^ links to my deviation

Edited the above. Sorry for triple posting, hehe. I just did this so the topic would go up and people would get to see it. Cheesy

My Art Room.
Dax
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Sep 13, 2007 06:22 am »

Added new links. Hope you comment and help me as I evolve in drawing Toph.

Unfinished shading. Can someone teach me? Tongue

The step by step work process.

So, what do you guys think? Criticisms are welcome here. Thanks!
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2007 06:50 am by Dax » Logged

My Art Room.
Sula
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Why yes I am a hot man.

« Reply #13 on: Sep 13, 2007 02:05 pm »

Quick post cause i gotta run to class. Here's a quick sketch I made with some notes. I'll be by later to answer questions and add more. Hope this helps!

Faces shall be melted.
Dax
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Sep 13, 2007 11:51 pm »

Thank you Sula! How did you get those notes. Did you just critically observed Toph to get to see her facial features that way?

Thank you! This makes me want to make another sketch and follow your notes. This is really helpful. Thank you!

After I master her head, I'll try to do her body next. Got any notes on those? Haha, just kidding. Thanks again! I'll put these into considerations in my future drawings. Tongue

My Art Room.
Sula
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Why yes I am a hot man.

« Reply #15 on: Sep 14, 2007 10:02 am »

Just from observation and repetition. You need to also be able to recognize when something looks wrong. Never settle!

As for body notes...I guess I'll do some tutorials sometime Tongue. But right now I dunno if I'll have the time. Classwork is piling up. Maybe this weekend but it's not definite.

And you're welcome Smiley

Faces shall be melted.
Kievan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Sep 14, 2007 06:25 pm »

In the spirit of character studies, here's some stuff I've found:

http://pics.livejournal.com/rufftoon/pic/00003qg8/g73

http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=6112.0

http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=4502.0

Keeper of Aang's different angles, clever solutions, and trickity tricks
Sula
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Why yes I am a hot man.

« Reply #17 on: Sep 14, 2007 08:49 pm »

I think it's funny that you linked my thread alongside rufftoon's. I'm not even in the same ballpark as her! Hell...I'm the one that studies *her" drawings Tongue.

edit: I had some free time Tongue. Sadly, I'm not too happy with this drawing. I need more practice!

« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2007 09:43 pm by Sula » Logged

Faces shall be melted.
Dax
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #18 on: Sep 15, 2007 08:55 am »

Hey, Sula, I know most really good artist don't really see that they've made so much progress than others, so let me tell you, you draw REALLY good. Of course, you are nearing to Rufftoon's leve anyways. But still I really like all your drawings.

Thanks for all the tips and studies! I soo gonna use these in mastering how to draw Toph! Thank you so much! Smiley

My Art Room.
Princess_Nehala
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Thanks CherryRose

« Reply #19 on: Sep 16, 2007 07:43 pm »

I like them!! Toph Rules!!

Coming soon...
Siggie by CherryRose
Dax
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: Sep 19, 2007 08:28 am »

Updated the first post. Fixed it up.

Soo, anyone else who can offer in helping me learn shading/lighting? Hehe. That's what I decided. I'll just fully color this one and it's going to be sketches for me until I get the hang of drawing Toph. Smiley

Btw, added this:
Season 3 Fan Poster
« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2007 02:50 am by Dax » Logged

My Art Room.
Sula
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Why yes I am a hot man.

« Reply #21 on: Sep 19, 2007 01:16 pm »

Eh...why not? Tongue This looks a bit weird cause I'm still not too familiar with Painter. Oh and i'll stop posting my stuff in your thread now Tongue

Shading is all about tonal variations and just being able to control your hand. What I mean by that is being able to draw using a wide range of pressures. Draw lightly for light areas or where light hits an object, and draw heavily on darker areas or places where you need to separate forms or show heavy amounts of weight.

But the very first thing you should be doing before even touching Toph is drawing from life! This is uber important. You don't wanna learn from drawing anime and you don't wanna learn from me, rufftoon, or anyone else that does Avatar art, no matter how good they are. These are all exaggerations and you need to have a firm understanding of life drawing before you can caricature life. Study the great masters like John Singer Sargent, William Bouguereau, Joaquin Sorolla, etc etc...Study from the best that ever lived. That said, if you really want to improve, definitely draw more from life. Set up a still life and a single light source. Draw that as accurately as you can. Don't spend any less than 5 or 6 hours on it. It forces you to sit down and study how light works. It also builds accuracy and patience Smiley.

I'm not saying you should stop drawing avatar fan art, but if you really want to get better and you love drawing, take some time, get some fruits, drawing pencils, a napkin for smudging and have at it! Trust me...do this for a few months, even for a few weeks and you'll see how much you can improve. It's like piano practice...the more you draw a day, the better you get.

Faces shall be melted.
Dax
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #22 on: Sep 29, 2007 02:45 am »

Thanks for the tips again Sula! Tagged you on my journal and on my Toph Blushes - Shading deviation.

Update: I've added my final Toph Blushes Project output! Hope you guys enjoy it! Feel free to comment here or on my DeviantArt.

Soon to come, some practice sketches. Cheesy

My Art Room.
illuminati
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Quietly observing this forum since 2007

« Reply #23 on: Sep 30, 2007 09:26 am »

wow sula looks like an expert when it come to drawing. I'm also a fan in drawing Avatar, and only avatar. I can see the two of you are better than me!

Life is meaningless so that we have the opportunity to give meaning to it
ATLAfan22
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

wow i'm old.

« Reply #24 on: Oct 01, 2007 08:01 pm »

oh ok, i see wat u mean. thanks for the compliment on my page. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: