Dec 06, 2019 10:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your Least Favorite Avatar Episode?  (Read 36387 times)
BloodbenderBeast
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I've lost my life in water tribe....

« Reply #700 on: Nov 24, 2013 04:15 am »

The Southern Raiders! CREEPY..... or The Puppet Master - I love Katara's bloodbender soul!

Scott13
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Flameyo Hotsman!

« Reply #701 on: Nov 24, 2013 07:45 pm »

I enjoy all of the episodes but I didn't like the swamp too much reasons are unknown just didn't like it as much as other episodes.

Only the Avatar can master all 4 elements and bring balance to the world!
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #702 on: Nov 25, 2013 04:24 pm »

I don't have a least favorite per se but I am not that fond of: The King of Omashu, The Great Divide, The Northern Air Temple, Return to Omashu, The Swamp, Avatar Day, The Chase, Tales of Ba Sing Se, The Painted Lady, The Beach, Nightmares and Day Dreams, and Southern Raiders.

That is quiet a lot, I know but, the rest of the series was great.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #703 on: Nov 25, 2013 06:18 pm »

Nightmares and Daydreams is my least favorite episode. The Zuko parts were fine but the Aang parts were just a chore to sit through. Had Aang had legitimate nightmares the episode would have been ten times better and it would have made me sympathize with him. Instead we got him having dumb 'nightmares' about him not wearing pants and missing a math test. It was odd. It was out of place. And I didn't like it one bit. Don't even get me started on the whole hallucination thing towards the end with Appa and Momo fighting.

This is the only episode in the series that I actually don't like. The Great Divide would be the runner up for least favorite episode but at least that episode can be entertaining. Nightmares and Daydreams gives me nightmares just thinking about it.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #704 on: Nov 25, 2013 07:13 pm »

I liked the Appa-Momo fight because it was at least ridiculous enough to be funny, but I agree that the previous dreams were unfunny and pointless.

Azulan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #705 on: Nov 25, 2013 08:22 pm »

I liked pretty much every episode, my only pick would have to be nightmares and dreams like others have said. Just felt too pointless. Still had funny aspects and the pre-Kataang was fun but just the weakest of the lot.
AmonKorra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #706 on: Nov 25, 2013 09:12 pm »

Probably "The Great Divide." Any of the strictly filler episodes could probably be counted, but this is the only one I remember.

"The power of the shinobi...is the power to protect what's important to you."
"Okay, then, tell me. Are you prepared to kill to protect what's important to you?"
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #707 on: Nov 25, 2013 09:47 pm »

I liked the Appa-Momo fight because it was at least ridiculous enough to be funny, but I agree that the previous dreams were unfunny and pointless.

I think the reason I disliked the Appa-Momo fight so much is because I was already fed up with the rest of the episode and then that moment just pushed me over the edge so to speak. Before the Appa-Momo fight I was thinking "well the episode is not over yet. Something good can happen. It doesn't have to be the worst episode in the series." Then the Appa-Momo fight came and blew up that moment of optimism.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Hawkflame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Don't cross the Melon Lord

« Reply #708 on: Nov 28, 2013 02:35 am »

The Great Divide was kind of a stupid episode, but I don't know if I'd call it the worst. 

For me, I was actively annoyed with Bato of the Water Tribe.  Primarily because the main plot of that episode was driven by characters acting like jerks. Jun was cool, but she was the lone bright spot.  Everyone else almost made me pull my hair out.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #709 on: Nov 28, 2013 02:56 am »

I kinda agree with you on Bato of the Watertribe.  If any episode in the series had characters that were acting OOC it was that one. However, I think the fight kinda saved it in the end. It still is one of my least favorite episodes but that fight...I thought it was one of the best ones in the first season.

zukataang
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #710 on: Dec 01, 2013 05:53 am »

The first time I saw Nightmares and Daydreams, this episode felt like a ridiculous mess to me too, but re-watching it after a year within the context of a full nostalgic three-seasons ATLA marathon a couple of days ago, this episode was actually super hilarious. It's still among the least favorite ones because I'm pretty sure I'd be back to being bored and overwhelmed if I re-watched it again. There’s so much crazy stuff going on it just makes you want to go “WTH? Uh…nevermind.”
The Appa vs Momo fight was the culmination point of weirdness the first time I watched it and was still kind of tedious to sit through (albeit less), even the second time around. Well, it had me lolling at first, but then it went on and on and just didn't stop a while after it had stopped being funny.

Bato of the watertribe, too, wasn’t all too captivating until the fight scene at the end. I liked June throughout the episode though. And creepy Iroh (Cheesy). And Zuko. And even Aang, despite his lying which I actually found understandable and fitting for his character in that moment. I mean, losing the friends who had promised to be his new family after he’d discovered that his whole nation had been wiped out, it definitely would have been something painful to go through, painful enough to compel him to make such a bad decision.
I just felt a little left out, like him. I wasn’t too interested in Bato as a character and Katara and Sokka talking with him about things that we couldn’t understand without bothering to explain them to Aang (which was completely understandable, too. They, kind of like Aang, were getting a taste of their home and the culture they love after having lost touch with it for a while, too) didn’t really help me, as viewer, connect or feel concerned in any way.

The Deserter was fun both the first time and the time I rewatched it. It did also contribute to the character development and plot significantly (Aang learning patience and care from burning Katara, Katara discovering her healing powers, Zhao’s relationship with firebending and Jeong Jeong’s introduction), but for some reason, it always remained into “meh” territory. Like Bato of the Watertribe, it’s not bad, in fact, in comparision to other shows, it’s pretty good, but as an ATLA episode that is compared with other ATLA episodes, it just isn’t as compelling as the rest for some reason.

I feel pretty much the same way about Imprisoned. It wasn’t bad and was productive character development wise, as it showed us how far Katara is able to go to achieve her goals, but it’s still kind of forgettable for some reason. Omashu (S1E05, not sure I remember the name well) as well.

The Waterbending Scroll comes close to deserving that same criticism, too, but it’s saved by the humor mostly. Things just play out nicely in that episode, there are no particularly boring spots, but as a whole it's just... well, it's a filler. The plot hasn't really progressed much after it and there's no emotionally heavy scene, so you just breeze through it, laughing, but it doesn't leave that big of a mark.

The Northern Air Temple is next on the list. I thought it was completely fitting an understandable for Aang to be against the changes Teo and his people were making to the sacred temple of his people, so that which seems to have been a real stumbling block for many others wasn’t that much of an issue to me, especially since he came to terms with it at the end of the episode. But I still felt like  skipping that episode during my recent marathon somehow. I can’t completely put my finger on it, but this episode just lacks something to be on the same level as the other ones.
Maybe Aang's bad mood makes it a little heavy on negativity that isn't being counterbalanced by enough humor and warmth. If the humor's lacking, the episode needs emotionally heavy stuff or stuff that's important to the plot to remain interesting and that's why the FN attack came into play I guess, but this battle wasn't that important for the plot and it wasn't very emotional either. It wasn't portrayed as this epic fight with so much at stake, it was just a battle on their way that they would obviously win. So kinda like the Waterbending Scroll, it's an episode you breeze through, say it was nice, but then you're on to the next one.

The Swamp and The Avatar’s Day were lacking too because we got important info (on Avatar Kyoshi and the fact that everything is connected) from these episodes, but the way we got to getting it felt kind of odd and random. I had the feeling that there were more interesting possible ways of getting that info across. They are episodes that I don’t really feel like re-watching as much as the rest also.

Same for The Painted Lady. Great character development wise, but the way to it was kind of meh. Although it was really funny in places, but it just doesn't leave a mark, despite not being a bad episode.

And The Great Divide, of course. What would an "ATLA's worst episodes" list be without The Great Divide.
I liked it the first time I saw it and only realized to what extent this episode was out of place when I was confronted with the fanbase's near hatred for it, to be honest. Just to throw out here that negativity is toxic and contagious (Tongue).

But I did already have a feeling that this episode differed from the rest the first time I watched it. You walk out of it wondering what was the point, really, since it doesn't contribute to the plot that much, so the same "meh" feeling of Bato and the Northern Air Temple is there, but the randomness and childishness kind of makes it hilarious to watch. And Sokka and Katara's arguements and their taking sides... I dunno, it was fun.

But then again I understand why so many people weren't pleased with it. The childishness, to me, was still pretty fitting within the context of the first season which was very light in general and had many fillers, but it would have been very wrong if that episode had happened in the darker second season or even the third one, despite that its first half was lighter. Apparently many others don't draw that line of what extent is acceptable where I do.

You know, I watch it the same way I watched the chibi-ATLA episodes (like schooltime shipping). It's kind of pointless, but fun anyway.

So, I don't dislike this episode, it's only in the list because it's less good in relation to other ATLA episodes.

At the risk of this thread being closed or merged with another that already covers the subject, I made it to help those who felt that something was amiss with some of the OS episodes. Just place for them to voice their concerns about the way certain episodes played out, part of me thinks this idea might backfire on me, but still.

I'll start:

[...]

3. Bato of the Water Tribe (or however it is phrased) - Although i don't always agree with the Nostalgic Critic, i'd be lying if i said i didn't see his points every now and then. He once said that this episode made Aang act out of character, and i have to agree with that. Usually, the series portrayed Aang as a sympathetic yet lovable character, but this whole "hiding the scroll" thing just made him look so bad and that makes it very hard to watch this episode. And the said truth is, i can see why Aang would feel pushed aside; Katara and Sokka still have two whole villages of their countrymen, but Aang has nobody

4. The Deserter - Again, this episode made Aang look bad and that just bothers me

5. The Northern Air Temple - This episode just made Aang look like a stubborn and uncompromising person, when his earlier personality implied that he encouraged change

6. The Waterbending Master - While i do like the episode's attempts to expose us to Water Tribe culture and the subplots about Sokka's romance with Yue and Zuko's trouble with Zhao, it felt like the episode was too hard on Aang. I know it was supposed to be a Katara episode, but personally, i don't like it when an episode tries to give one character development while making another character look bad in some way. That moment when Katara said she wasn't fighting Pakku because of Aang just didn't sit well with me. Remove that and the scenes between Aang and Pakku and i'd have been okay with this episode.

7. The Siege of the North Part 1 - Again, for the most part, i liked this episode, it was the beginning scene up until we got to Sokka and Yue that didn't sit well with me. I understand that they were trying to show how much Katara has come in her studies, I just wish they didn't make Aang look bad in the process, especially since they did almost the exact opposite in "The Waterbending Scroll".

8. The Cave of Two Lovers - Once more, i liked this episode for the most part, but that one scene with the "argument" between Aang and Katara and that scene where Zuko stole the Ostrich Horse, those were just hard to watch.

9. The Blind Bandit - Once again they made one Character interesting at the expense of the main character. Which was a shame, since this episode had some good Earthbending fighting in it

[...]

11. The Desert - Aang's character is totally (though admittedly understandably) different in this episode and it kind of throws me off

[...]

13. City of Walls and Secrets - That scene when Sokka and Aang are trying to act civilized just seemed embarrassing to watch and slightly out of character for both of them.

[...]

15. The Runaway - I know focus of the episode was the tension between Toph and Katara, but it felt like Aang was suffering the side and after effects of it.

17. The Southern Raiders - Something about this episode (possibly how they used Aang in it) just didn't work for me and sort of made it an episode i'd skip.

18. The Ember Island Players - After giving it more chances and more thought, i've sort of become on the fence about this episode. I think it's kind of interesting, but my mind just keeps having a field day with certain scenes, particularly the scenes with Aang and Katara.

19. The Phoenix King - The only problems i have with this episode are the scenes when the group is putting pressure on Aang, otherwise, it was pretty okay.

On a sub topic, my feelings regarding the comics are just as serious; I just don't like the way The Promise portrayed Aang. He started out pretty well in the first comic, but then they started to make him appear to be stubborn and uncompromising towards change. This is a problem, since the Legend of Korra boasts him as the co-founder of the United Republic of Nations. If he was against the colonies staying in the Earth Kingdom, that sort of makes Zuko the hero here not Aang. Aang was also portrayed as initially not nice to the people who would one day become the Air Acolytes, so there's not even that. I want to believe that the reason for all of this is that Aang was just under a lot of pressure and was responding to it in ways he, under much calmer conditions, wouldn't, and the idea of creating the United Republic of Nations was his idea, but these are sounding like loose excuses.

I don't mean to be one of the annoying people who dismiss any criticism of a character's bad behavior with the "you just can't accept that the character you like isn't perfect!" argument, but you really do seem to have a hard time enjoying any episode where Aang makes a mistake. What's so wrong with him looking bad just once in a while?

Aang was shown as a person who encourages change and living in peace together, but also as a person who greatly respects and loves his culture, so when these two sides of him collide (like in The Promise or The Northern Air Temple), doesn't it make sense that his love for his culture takes the upper hand? It might be a really emotional reaction, but he has responded that way consistently throughout the series when it comes to the extinct people he loves, and understandably so, no?

I agree with your criticism of The Promise, though. It felt really wrong to discover that the huge admirable hero Aang's made out to be in tLoK is actually being credited with something he hasn't achieved. It just destroys an image they've made us believe for so long.

Oh, and I'm not saying your opinion is "wrong" or something. If that's how you feel, that's how you feel, but maybe you could enjoy the series a lot more if you looked at it from another perspective, hence my reaction to your post.
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2013 01:40 pm by zukataang » Logged
Waterbender Prime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

You're cute when you're angry.

« Reply #711 on: Aug 19, 2019 09:30 pm »

The Chase

I just disliked how Toph never really got the lesson that you are supposed to look out for each other in a team.

Iroh told her that she should let others help her and share her burden, but she never got the realization that she should do the same for others in return.
ViridianIV
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #712 on: Aug 19, 2019 10:43 pm »

The Beach pure stupid IMO.  People behaving out of character, Zuko unloading his feelings in a long winded soliloquie to people he knows better than to show vulnerability near.  Azula trying to get a date...

if Zuko and Korra Alone are episodes that SHOW our characters pain and growth with a careful hand, the Beach as an episode that SHOUTS it at us with about as much subtlety as a jackhammer and not half as genuine.

"In the time before the Avatar, we bent not the elements, but the energy within ourselves."
                  -Lion Turtle dropping the mic
Samshapiro1
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #713 on: Nov 08, 2019 09:39 pm »

Southern Raiders: I keep imagining an earlier version of the ep where Katara rips off Sokka’s arm and hits him with it and tells him “Guess your boomerang isn’t useful anymore is it Sokka.” And another scene where She tells Aang he’s not a very good Avatar and enraged he tackles her down like a football player and beats her up really hard as if it was a bar fight. The episode originally ends with Aang and Zuko finding her at Ember Island trying to drown herself. Aang pulls her up and slaps her on the cheek and asks her what was she thinking? She then breaks down crying and says she is trying to please her mother. Aang of course shouts back: “I Don’t give a DAMN about your Mother!” and slaps her again. She begs Aang to fix her. It then ends with the Gaang at a campfire and Aang telling everyone that Katara’s better now and that she let her womanly emotions get the better of her. It then shows a shot of Katara with a scar on the side of her forehead and a forced grin appears on her face. In short: Aang gave her a lobotomy.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #714 on: Nov 09, 2019 02:38 pm »

...wut?

plushu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

157% PIANDAOIST

« Reply #715 on: Nov 13, 2019 11:59 pm »

I want whatever it is Samshapiro1 is smoking.

Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #716 on: Nov 14, 2019 02:37 am »

^it's the quenchiest

i have to vote The great Divide. not because the whole filler discussion, but because its just a very frustrating hair away from being lore building instead of a fat lie. all they had to do was have aangs story be true (and just slightly more complicated than toddlers playing soccer) instead of bs. keeo the rest the same, just change the last 10 seconds of the episode.

keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #717 on: Nov 14, 2019 06:54 pm »

I'm the opposite. I want to keep the last 10 seconds, but change out the whole rest of the episode. ...no, wait! I also want to keep the line, "I only took their side because they fed me." The rest can go.

Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: