May 26, 2017 04:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [201] The Avatar State  (Read 20825 times)
Zukofan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #25 on: Mar 21, 2006 01:35 am »

Azula vs. Zuko in the very first episode of the season. Didn't expect that but it is MORE than welcome to happen again.
You bet it rocked...too bad poor Zuko got his butt kicked.  I bet he'll devote any spare time he has to training, and NEXT time it won't be so easy...
I laughed HISTERICLLY when Aang drank that tea. So much in fact I flipped the chair over and missed the minute or so after that. Gaud. So funny. I mean, there was no excuse for how funny that was.
yessir, it was a gut-buster.

But I'm a little disappointed in Zuko. I mean, first he shouts at his uncle like that. Not cool. Then, he falls into a so obvious trap. *sigh* Oh, Zuko...
Oh, yes and yes, but everyone really needs to cut him some slack.  I mean, he was totaly surprised to see his sister, that threw him off guard, and then she told him something that he thought he'd never hear...that his father wants him home.  After going through all that he has, it was a shock.  It could have blinded anyone that was in his shoes.
As far as insulting Iroh, you gotta understand that it is a natural human reaction to lash out at someone (especially those we love) when they tell us something we don't want to hear; something that conterdicts what we want.  And he wants so badly to go home.  I'm not saying it was right, I'm saying we shouldn't be so mad at him.  He showed his gratitude later, if you'll recall.

ignite444
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

A Kataang shipper to the end!

« Reply #26 on: Mar 21, 2006 05:32 pm »

Great episode. They really left us to foreshadow what may be in the future.

I wonder if Aang will tell Katara and Sokka that he could disrupt the Avatar cycle if he died while he is in the Avatar State? I've been wondering..

Banner made by me, do not steal! If you want to use it, ask me first.

Join my site! Avatar Dream (New custom skin up!)
Zukofan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #27 on: Mar 21, 2006 08:05 pm »

I wonder if Aang will tell Katara and Sokka that he could disrupt the Avatar cycle if he died while he is in the Avatar State? I've been wondering..

He should. After all, they're his friends/family!
ignite444
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #28 on: Mar 21, 2006 08:49 pm »

He might not.. It would worry them if he did.. But if he did.. Eh.. That's up to the writers.

Robot Mule
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Turba, Cunfusio, Inordinatum

« Reply #29 on: Mar 22, 2006 07:38 am »

Maybe they'll 'magically' know it thanks to the power of the almighty writer water spirit  Tongue

http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=460.msg893373#msg893373
By reading this signature I have wasted SECONDS of your time you will never get back. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!
ignite444
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #30 on: Mar 22, 2006 07:09 pm »

Well, we'll just have to wait and see.

ignite444
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #31 on: Mar 25, 2006 08:40 pm »

I know some people are confused as to why Zuko cut his ponytail... Well, I'll explain:

It's a Japanese custom, old I presume since I don't see any Japanese people wear their hair like that that much anymore. Anyway.. Cutting that ponytail or knob of hair on a person's hair means they are breaking away from their people, that they are no longer a part of their nation, tribe, etc...

Of course some you have already figured this out, but this is for those who haven't.

thunder_713
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fire Nation Traitor...

evilbabyrulesall@msn.com thndr713
« Reply #32 on: Mar 27, 2006 04:15 pm »

^A lot of people were confused on that. I thank you for them.

Zula was so wicked in this episode. She was just...awesome. Especially her...do they call it lightning or thunder bending? I honestly keep forgetting which it is. But either way, it was awesome. And would she really go so far as to kill her own brother?

^Zuko fan? Check out Lava Love God

Keeper of Sokka's necklace and Zuko's ship.

(LLG banner thanks to omgasp). Icon by magicker_icons.
Kara
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #33 on: Mar 27, 2006 04:49 pm »

Zula was so wicked in this episode. She was just...awesome. Especially her...do they call it lightning or thunder bending? I honestly keep forgetting which it is. But either way, it was awesome. And would she really go so far as to kill her own brother?

I think it's just a special type of fire bending, though perhaps only very skilled fire benders are able to use it effectively. We've seen Iroh direct lightning too, though he's never actually produced it like Azula did.

And I definitely think Azula could kill Zuko, though she would rather just watch him suffer. Could Zuko kill Azula though? The two of them will certainly have a re-match in the future.
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2006 04:51 pm by Kara » Logged
thunder_713
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fire Nation Traitor...

evilbabyrulesall@msn.com thndr713
« Reply #34 on: Mar 27, 2006 05:02 pm »

I think it's just a special type of fire bending, though perhaps only very skilled fire benders are able to use it effectively. We've seen Iroh direct lightning too, though he's never actually produced it like Azula did.

And I definitely think Azula could kill Zuko, though she would rather just watch him suffer. Could Zuko kill Azula though? The two of them will certainly have a re-match in the future.

Only Master Firebenders are able to...well, I'm just going to call it thunderbending for the time being. That was my question--I couldn't remember the name for it.

Yeah, Azula hates 'Zuzu' enough that she'd kill him...though, like you said, she'd definitely want to watch him twitch for a while beforehand. At this point in the series, though, Zuko couldn't kill Azula. Skills aside, Zuko isn't the kind of person that can kill, in my opinion, anyway. His morals are too strong.

^Zuko fan? Check out Lava Love God

Keeper of Sokka's necklace and Zuko's ship.

(LLG banner thanks to omgasp). Icon by magicker_icons.
Pandora
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #35 on: Mar 27, 2006 07:37 pm »

Quote from: thunder_713
Only Master Firebenders are able to...well, I'm just going to call it thunderbending for the time being. That was my question--I couldn't remember the name for it.

It hasn't been given an actual name in the series, but I imagine it falls generally under the heading of "master firebending abilities." Just like Katara can create ice, Azula (and I think Iroh... maybe eventually) can create lightning. I imagine it must be a very special ability that few are able to accomplish, let alone master. Because she is a master, Azula utilizes that very powerful ability every chance she gets.

I can't understand why anyone would call it "thunderbending" at all, though. Thunder is the sound that accompanies lightning, the sound of lightning, if you will. Lightning is the electrical charge that we see flying in all its awesome zomg coolness from Azula's well-manicured fingertips. It may sound like a better word, but it's inconsistent with the ability itself. Azula isn't bending thunder; she's bending lightning.

I think Iroh was really at his craftiest in this episode... I could not get enough of his suspicious, ever changing facial expressions. Of course, when he stepped up and grabbed Azula to redirect her lightning attack on Zuko and dump her from her own ship, I squealed in absolute glee.

Zuko, though... I tell ya, I was very disappointed in him for the hurtful things he said to his uncle. This is your uncle, dude... he has guided you and cared for you when your father sent you off on an impossible mission just to be rid of you. HE LOVES YOU, DAMMIT.

Just because Iroh tells Zuko things he doesn't want to hear--wants to impart the wisdom that must have been hard-learned through a great number more years than Zuko has yet experienced of his own family--it doesn't give Zuko the right to go smokescreening the truth with words like "lazy" and "shallow." How dare he. Defense mechanisms be damned, dude... that was just not cool.

Well, Roku has provided the Fire Nation with THE means of being rid of the Avatar for good, hasn't he? If I were Aang, I would keep that information to myself. While it might help for Sokka and Katara to know so they can watch out for him while he's in the Avatar state, it also means that that information is somewhere that can be gotten to. I don't know how persuasive the Fire Nation can be, but I wouldn't put cruel tortures past them at this point. If they are looking for a way to get rid of Aang (and you know they are), the way to figure that out is to get to the people who know him best: Sokka and Katara.

The less they know, the better, or the more they know, the better? I am unsure, myself. I just know that I would keep that plot twist close to my heart.

In other news, General Fong has the STUPIDEST name ever. Freud would have a field day with all the slips I've had because of that name. Tongue
Star Outlaw
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Are you okay?

« Reply #36 on: Mar 27, 2006 07:58 pm »

Quote from: thunder_713

It hasn't been given an actual name in the series, but I imagine it falls generally under the heading of "master firebending abilities." Just like Katara can create ice, Azula (and I think Iroh... maybe eventually) can create lightning. I imagine it must be a very special ability that few are able to accomplish, let alone master. Because she is a master, Azula utilizes that very powerful ability every chance she gets.

I wouldn't say that creating ice is a master ability for waterbenders. Katara is good, but nowhere near masterful. It's probably an ability that most waterbenders can do.

I can't understand why anyone would call it "thunderbending" at all, though. Thunder is the sound that accompanies lightning, the sound of lightning, if you will. Lightning is the electrical charge that we see flying in all its awesome zomg coolness from Azula's well-manicured fingertips. It may sound like a better word, but it's inconsistent with the ability itself. Azula isn't bending thunder; she's bending lightning.

Thunderbending sounds alot better than 'lightningbending.' Yes, thunder is the sound, but you still associate it with lightining. Even in video games they use a 'thunder' spell rather than a 'lightning' spell. It doesn't need to be so technical. People won't be confused if it's called 'thunderbending.'

Check out my Avatar Music Videos.

I keep Pabu. Sig by LeonsKennedy4815
Pandora
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #37 on: Mar 27, 2006 08:16 pm »

Quote from: Psycho Silver
I wouldn't say that creating ice is a master ability for waterbenders. Katara is good, but nowhere near masterful.

No? I disagree... and Pakku does, too.

Katara: What about Aang? He still needs to learn waterbending.
Master Pakku: Well, then he better get used to calling you "Master Katara."

Master Pakku: Aang, these scrolls will help you master waterbending, but remember: they're no substitute for a real master.

I dunno... kinda sounds like she's a master to me. This is beyond the point, however... Katara figured out how to create ice in the second pilot episode, so the point can stand.

As for the name of Azula's ability, I prefer to be accurate. As an English major and language snob, I'm allowed. Tongue You will never see me use the word "thunderbending" in my the context of my posts because it's inaccurate. "She bends lightning" takes just as many keystrokes as "She thunderbends." Technical? Yup, I sure am, and I'm perfectly proud of it. Everyone else will naturally do whatever they want with Azula's awesome talent, but I prefer to be more precise about the terminology. Doesn't hurt anybody, and is as always simply my opinion. That's cool too, right? Smiley
Zukofan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #38 on: Mar 30, 2006 10:29 pm »

I know some people are confused as to why Zuko cut his ponytail... Well, I'll explain:

It's a Japanese custom, old I presume since I don't see any Japanese people wear their hair like that that much anymore. Anyway.. Cutting that ponytail or knob of hair on a person's hair means they are breaking away from their people, that they are no longer a part of their nation, tribe, etc...

Ummm...I'm pretty sure that its an ancient Chinese custom...other than that, you're spot on.

Pandora:  I wish I could type faster so I could belt out all my thoughts like you can.  I love reading your posts.  Almost everything you say is sooooo true.
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2006 10:32 pm by Zukofan » Logged
Kanelle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #39 on: Apr 03, 2006 10:39 pm »

I think Iroh was really at his craftiest in this episode... I could not get enough of his suspicious, ever changing facial expressions.

I completely agree.  A perfect example would be Iroh wearing his armor to the ship instead fo the robes from that spa or whatever it was.  He was ready for the fight he was walking into.  If you notice Zuko had on robes.... though now that I think about he might not have had his armor in the first place.

Neither fire nor wind, birth nor death can erase our good deeds.
--Buddha
someone198
« Reply #40 on: Apr 23, 2006 09:52 pm »

Things are heating up- no pun intended.

Is it just me, or did the general say something like "With great power comes great responsibility"? Well, whether he did ver batim or not, it sums up this episode for Aang and Zuko perfectly. I love the new Incredible-Hulk-complex conflict for Aang. Typical monomyth fare, but I thought when it came along, it would be with Zuko.

Zuko...
Fortunately, we've just studied the Age of Reason in English Lit. The popular moral of the time: When the heart overrides the mind, disaster strikes. Of course, every viewer knew it was a lie and a trap, no doubt from the start. But Zuko wants his father's love and to return home so badly, he can't think straight. His desire to believe completely overpowered his reason. It didn't seem far out at all to me or any less sad.

I thought the alternating scenes from Aang's story to Zuko's to Aang's and back again made an incredibly choppy episode. (But I liked it because they gave Zuko so much attention). I think two episodes, one for each of the two plots, would make more sense. Maybe the writers are trying to give less attention to Zuko and make the fans focus more on their protagonist, Aang (like I said, this whole Incredible Hulk-like complex adds darkness to his character).

A few final points:
- Too bad Iroh's mysterious lightning bending ability is, apparently, not unique. But how in the world can fire benders bend lightning?
- Learning it was Iroh all along holding Zuko's shoulder in his flashback, not his father, was definitely ominously creepy.
- I swear, when Zuko first held up that knife, just for a second, I wondered if he was going to kill himself.
MonCapitan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Mmm.. Redheads

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2006 04:31 pm »

But I'm a little disappointed in Zuko. I mean, first he shouts at his uncle like that. Not cool. Then, he falls into a so obvious trap. *sigh* Oh, Zuko....
It makes sense that he was fooled.  He had been away from home for three years.  At the point this episode occured he was willing to believe anything if it meant going home.

Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population
Zukofan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2006 11:49 pm »

- I swear, when Zuko first held up that knife, just for a second, I wondered if he was going to kill himself.
Oh, I know it...  I remember yelling "DON'T DO IT!!!"  Then sighing with relieif, then shrieking "DON'T DO IT!!!!!" again. Tongue
Liquid Bullet
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2006 01:15 pm »

Just to clear somethings up on Azulas Bending skills.

Flame color depends on three components, blackbody radiation, spectral line emission, and to a lesser degree spectral line absorption. Depending on oxygen supply, which determines the rate of combustion, temperature and reaction paths, different color hues can be observed in flames.

Generally speaking, the coolest part of the flame will be red, transitioning to orange, yellow, and white as the temperature increases as a result of changes in blackbody radiation. For a given flame's region, the closer to white on this scale, the hotter that section of the flame is. A blue-colored flame emerges when the amount of soot decreases and the blue emissions from molecules become dominant.                 

So when Azula "Fire Bends" Her flame goes into a blue type flame, which has loads of plasma in it, plasma can conduct electromagnet pulses, creating the lighting type image around it.               

« Last Edit: May 27, 2006 01:20 pm by Liquid Bullet » Logged
someone198
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2006 08:04 pm »

My Favorite Quote

Zuko: Three years ago today, I was banished. I lost it all. I want it back. I want the Avatar. I want my honor. My throne. slight pause I want my father... not to think I'm worthless.
Iroh: I'm sure he doesn't. Why would he banish you if he didn't care? ... ... Err, that came out wrong, didn't it?

(Dramatic and hilarious in one heartbeat)

**Corrected**
« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2006 01:14 pm by someone198 » Logged
Haze
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2006 10:04 pm »

My favorite part of this episode was seeing the past Avatars show how powerful they are.

I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind of a big deal.
MonCapitan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Mmm.. Redheads

« Reply #46 on: Jun 01, 2006 01:38 am »

My Favorite Quote

Zuko: Three days ago today, I was banished. I lost it all. I want it back. I want the Avatar. I want my honor. My throne. slight pause I want my father... not to think I'm worthless.
Iroh: I'm sure he doesn't. Why would he banish you if he didn't care? ... ... Err, that came out wrong, didn't it?

(Dramatic and hilarious in one heartbeat)
It was three years, not days.

Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population
Mirre
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Raw talent alone is not enough.

« Reply #47 on: Jun 03, 2006 09:08 am »

I really loved this episode! Especially when Zuko looked peaceful. He looks so much different when he's not looking angry.

The Blue Spirit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

No Substitute for Discipline

Scarred+4+Lif3
« Reply #48 on: Aug 13, 2006 09:13 am »

Things are heating up- no pun intended.

Is it just me, or did the general say something like "With great power comes great responsibility"? Well, whether he did ver batim or not, it sums up this episode for Aang and Zuko perfectly. I love the new Incredible-Hulk-complex conflict for Aang. Typical monomyth fare, but I thought when it came along, it would be with Zuko.

Zuko...
Fortunately, we've just studied the Age of Reason in English Lit. The popular moral of the time: When the heart overrides the mind, disaster strikes. Of course, every viewer knew it was a lie and a trap, no doubt from the start. But Zuko wants his father's love and to return home so badly, he can't think straight. His desire to believe completely overpowered his reason. It didn't seem far out at all to me or any less sad.

I thought the alternating scenes from Aang's story to Zuko's to Aang's and back again made an incredibly choppy episode. (But I liked it because they gave Zuko so much attention). I think two episodes, one for each of the two plots, would make more sense. Maybe the writers are trying to give less attention to Zuko and make the fans focus more on their protagonist, Aang (like I said, this whole Incredible Hulk-like complex adds darkness to his character).

A few final points:
- Too bad Iroh's mysterious lightning bending ability is, apparently, not unique. But how in the world can fire benders bend lightning?
- Learning it was Iroh all along holding Zuko's shoulder in his flashback, not his father, was definitely ominously creepy.

It wasn't Iroh holding Zuko's shoulder, it just reminded zuko of what family was like. It was really his father holding his shoulder

In martial arts the mind and body have to work as one to reach full potential, pain is just an obstacle in your path, and the body alone is too limited.
zennyrpg
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ZennyRPG
« Reply #49 on: Oct 10, 2006 05:07 pm »

Was it Zuko in the little two second flashback?  I always thought it was lu ten.  Like Iroh put his hand on zuko's shoulder and flashed back to him with his hand on his son's shoulder.  Thats what i thought, but feel free to prove me wrong someone, or point out something i didn't notice... I'd like to know if there is a consensus on this.

Keeper of Sozin's Blue Dragon
Keeper of Zuko's Blue Inner Dragon
Keeper of Zuko's Red Inner Dragon
Keeper of the Meadow Vole
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: