Mar 30, 2017 10:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [201] The Avatar State  (Read 20606 times)
Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #100 on: Feb 22, 2011 08:02 pm »

This was an incredible season opener, it also set up Azula's personality! Smiley

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #101 on: Feb 22, 2011 08:59 pm »

Doesn't it kind of have to set up her personality since she's...well, you know, a human being?  It seems like it would be kind of hard to NOT set up her personality, or anyone who appears on this show for that matter.
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #102 on: Feb 22, 2011 09:07 pm »

Doesn't it kind of have to set up her personality since she's...well, you know, a human being?  It seems like it would be kind of hard to NOT set up her personality, or anyone who appears on this show for that matter.

In this show, yeah. But in lesser shows, movies, books etc. a character can have no clear personality or a poorly written one.

I haven't seen it, but from reading about it you could look at TLA for an example Tongue
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #103 on: Aug 20, 2011 01:32 am »

Alright guys, after a long, long wait, the review for this Episode is coming soon.  I had a bit of trouble with real life issues, procrastination (partly because of A.D.D.), and just generally getting back into the swing of things.  But now I'm making it.  And what's more, if I'm satisfied with how this turns out, I'm even going to make this a video review to be posted somewhere (probably not Youtube).  One question though...

Iroh says something rather...silly about him and Zuko apparently surviving for three weeks without food or water...am I supposed to take that literally, or can we just assume they somehow scooped up water, boiled it, and maybe shot down some vultures for food (darn vultures, always ready to pluck your eyes out!)?
Handicapable
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #104 on: Aug 23, 2011 08:26 pm »

Iroh says something rather...silly about him and Zuko apparently surviving for three weeks without food or water...am I supposed to take that literally, or can we just assume they somehow scooped up water, boiled it, and maybe shot down some vultures for food (darn vultures, always ready to pluck your eyes out!)?

"3 minutes without air, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food" -Simple Survival Mantra

They could have made it without food for that long, though they wouldn't have had much strength after that, but they would definitely have needed to boil water.

Iroh probably meant that they hadn't had proper food/water. He was exaggerating the situation somewhat.

How blessed is the man who finds wisdom And the man who gains understanding. For her profit is better than the profit of silver And her gain better than fine gold. She is more precious than jewels; And nothing you desire compares with her. Proverbs 3:13-15 (NASB)
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #105 on: Aug 24, 2011 02:34 am »

That's what I figured.  He seems like the kind of guy who would joke around like that.
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #106 on: Dec 26, 2011 12:48 am »

Hey guys.  For those of you who have been around for a while, I started reviewing each individual episode of this.  However, due to extreme amounts of work I started having to do at the beginning of this current year, I got sidetracked, to the point where eventually, I couldn't get myself back to work even after that was all well and done with.  And it was in this section of the boards, so for anyone wondering why I'm posting this here, instead of the "Other Reviewers" board, that's why.  If you wish to move this, that's fine, but I'd like you to at least leave it up until the end of today.

Anyways, I have now finally started my review of the next episode, Season 2 Episode 1.  And not only that, but it's going to be the very first video review, like the Spoonyone does nowadays!  Now, unfortunately, I wasn't able to get the actual review done by this Christmas, so, I did the next best thing...I threw together a quick preview! 

EDIT:  And now, I made a version that's much more presentable.  Probably not the best, but at least it doesn't look as Frankensteined as the last one did, right?

http://www.viddler.com/explore/Fionordequester/videos/10/
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2011 05:09 pm by Fionordequester » Logged
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #107 on: Feb 21, 2012 07:46 pm »

Hey everyone, I have a question, can anyone, without spoiling anything, tell me when the Avatar State was first invented?  My understanding is that in that state, you draw upon all of the wisdom, power, and battle-know-how of all the previous Avatars, correct?  So obviously, you can't really do that if well...you happen to be the very first Avatar in the world, right?  So it had to have been invented at some point, right?
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #108 on: Feb 21, 2012 07:52 pm »

^ When the second Avatar came along, I guess?

We haven't been told anything about it in the show.

aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #109 on: Feb 21, 2012 07:54 pm »

Probably sometime after the first Avatar. He or she probably just got a big power up from the Avatar Spirit itself.  Perhaps it was just something written into the creation of the Avatar in that previous Avatars can draw upon their past lives for knowledge and power.

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
AncientScarab
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Regal Beetle

« Reply #110 on: May 28, 2012 10:10 am »

Not one of my favorites, but I did like this episode for a few reasons:

1. Kinda cool to see Iroh beat those Imperial Firebenders, re-direct lightning - then kick Azula off her ship, lol.
2. Even though General Fong was deranged, I enjoyed seeing all the earthbending.
3. Avatar Roku explains the Avatar state to Aang, and we see a little of how powerful the Avatar state is....

What'chu talkin' bout Willis?
The Banished Prince
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #111 on: Jul 22, 2012 11:21 am »

This was the episode that hooked me. Zuko and Zhao were decent villains, but nothing compared to Azula. I fell in love with her character as soon as she had that discussion with her ship's captain. She wasn't just evil, she was an absolute monster, and loved being one.

Were we... liking the soccer?!? - Starfire
eMoN
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Lord Momo of the Momo dynasty, Your Momoness ..."

« Reply #112 on: Jul 26, 2012 11:22 pm »

^ agreed.

I liked the way they introduced her doing lightning and wanting to be such a perfectionist at it.

It shows that she dislikes it when everything is not perfect and not according to her will

~ Icon by GG, Sig by Schellibie ~
~ Keeps: Aang's "Monkey Feathers!" from 313 & Katara's "I'M COMPLETELY CALM!!!" from 208 ~
Wan-Shi-Tong-Servant
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #113 on: Sep 08, 2012 01:15 am »

I hated that Earth Kingdom general for making Aang feel guilty.
Even though General Fong was deranged, I enjoyed seeing all the earthbending.

I really don't see General Fong as that deranged. If you look at it from his point of view, Aang's responsibility is waaaaay overdue. Like four times his entire military service's length and all the deaths that go with it overdue. Sure, that's a lot of pressure for a kid, but he is the Avatar.

And knowledge about how the Avatar Spirit works and operates has probably been lost because since he's been missing for so long, people assumed he wasn't coming back (or records have been destroyed by the FN). It wasn't like Roku and the Fire Sages, who knew how to advise him.

Though, maybe Fong is a little deranged to hold onto a base that's practically spitting distance from the Fire Nation. That's a frickin brave man, is all I have to say.

An in-depth examination of ATLA. Ty Lee meets Azula's targets: complete strangers, yet their auras glow invitingly. Kataang, TyLokka, sibling!Toko http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5732344/1/What_Meets_the_Eye

Undertale fanfic:
http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=24342.msg2465903#msg246590
Hawkflame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Don't cross the Melon Lord

« Reply #114 on: Oct 19, 2013 01:17 am »

Book 2, here we come.  Only a few more episodes before Best Character shows up. Cheesy

Two things about this episode really struck me. 

1) The moral dilemma here is really genuine.  In fact, that's one of the strengths of the show in general.  The issues the characters deal with are real, important, and don't have any easy answers.  Learning things the right way is crucial, and it's important for Aang to master the elements, but at the same time people are dying every day.  The general's motives here were entirely understandable, though his methods were questionable to say the least, and if I were in his position and didn't have the benefit of time spent with these characters in their Book 1 journey, I very well might have agreed with him.  But then, Aang isn't wrong in how he feels, and if he's truly not ready, that wouldn't be fair to him and it could spell doom for others if he went through with the attack now.  Both sides are understandable and I love how they deal with the ethical dilemma. 

2) This is a *great* primer/intro to Azula.  Just from this one episode, you know how cunning, deceitful, and calculating she could be.  She will lie and manipulate and do/say whatever she wants to get what she wants.  The exchange about the tides just sums her up so perfectly.  I find it amazing how this *young girl* (I think she's, what, 14?) could be *so* intimidating and powerful that grown men are utterly cowed by her. 
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #115 on: Oct 19, 2013 01:26 am »

Book 2, here we come.  Only a few more episodes before Best Character shows up.

Wait, isn't Azula introduced in the first episode of book two?
Hawkflame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #116 on: Oct 19, 2013 09:49 am »

You know, you have a very unusual way of spelling "Toph"...
Wan-Shi-Tong-Servant
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #117 on: Oct 19, 2013 10:21 am »

You know, you have a very unusual way of spelling "Toph"...

Don't know if trolling or serious. Toph was introduced well into the season.

An in-depth examination of ATLA. Ty Lee meets Azula's targets: complete strangers, yet their auras glow invitingly. Kataang, TyLokka, sibling!Toko http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5732344/1/What_Meets_the_Eye

Undertale fanfic:
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #118 on: Oct 19, 2013 04:07 pm »

She was introduced in episodes 6. Its not that far into the season.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Wan-Shi-Tong-Servant
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #119 on: Oct 19, 2013 06:38 pm »

Still, that's way off from "the first episode" Hawkflame suggests.

Undertale fanfic:
Hawkflame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #120 on: Oct 19, 2013 08:35 pm »

I was alluding to the fact that Mr. Grieves considered Azula "best character". 
Wan-Shi-Tong-Servant
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #121 on: Oct 19, 2013 08:43 pm »

Oh, hahaha!

Undertale fanfic:
The Banished Prince
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #122 on: Oct 20, 2013 10:29 am »

Well, he wouldn't be wrong.

She was introduced in episodes 6. Its not that far into the season.

Yeah, but her first appearance was in The Swamp, no? That's S2E4.

Were we... liking the soccer?!? - Starfire
KpKimberly
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Azula ist die wertvollste.

« Reply #123 on: Oct 20, 2013 12:57 pm »

She shows up first in The Storm -flashback Agni Kai- and she also appears in the end of book 1. But her first official role began in this episode. She also never talked before.
First episode of book 2.
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2013 12:59 pm by KpKimberly » Logged

Sorry for my grammar.
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #124 on: Jan 01, 2015 05:59 pm »

This was an excellent start to the series' best season. I loved Aang's moral dilemma; in my opinion it made more sense than the one he had toward the end of the series. Although, Avatar is less graphic than its sequel, I felt as if Fong's comment about the soldiers in the infirmity being lucky did a better job at highlighting the seriousness of the war than did Korra with the various  issues it explored. With that said, I also loved the information we got about the Avatar State. I said this before, but worldbuilding is important to me. I also liked the energy that Katara and Sokka brought to the debate. The character dynamics in this show are pretty solid. Although I like it when Sokka is right, I don't mind the fact that he was wrong. What is important to me is that each character brings along a unique voice and Sokka does a good job at that with his practicality. As for Katara, I like that she was the voice of reason for once. I think it is important to allow characters to play different roles depending on the situation.

Anyway, Zuko and Iroh had a nice little subplot. Their run in with Azula was suitably tense and I liked how it put a wedge between them, one which would latter result in Zuko betraying Iroh.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: