Nov 22, 2017 12:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode

Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [201] The Avatar State  (Read 21244 times)
Pandora
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Mar 17, 2006 08:03 pm »

Official Description: Aang and the gang meet an Earth Kingdom general who has big plans for defeating the Fire Nation by using Aang's powerful "Avatar State".

Discuss away, dudes.

« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2015 01:15 pm by SMBH » Logged
Robot Mule
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Turba, Cunfusio, Inordinatum

« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2006 08:32 pm »

I love you Avatar. Yes I do. This was such a cool episode. Feel the family love. So many fun girl moments it's hard to keep count!

http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=460.msg893373#msg893373
By reading this signature I have wasted SECONDS of your time you will never get back. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!
AirBender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2006 08:33 pm »

Awesome!
Just awesome!

It was a totally great way to set up the season. The fight at the end was the best part, in my opinion. It was great to see the new foe of the season. She was vicious. So it looks like Iroh and Zuko are on the run now. Looks cool!

-AirBender
akamai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2006 08:34 pm »

Tee-hee. I need to gather my thoughts before I post everything I liked about the episode. Azula rocks, and I'm surprised Zuko believed her about going home. I would have been suspicious about it like Iroh. It was kind of predictable how Aang went into the Avatar State to protect Katara, but it was a good episode all and all. And I can't believe Zuko and Iroh cut their hair!

Avatar and Signature set made by InnerYin.

"Now we know that all elements have their strength's and weaknesses...but fire is the best!" -Iroh
Force
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2006 08:42 pm »

So.....awesome......

Azula vs. Zuko in the very first episode of the season. Didn't expect that but it is MORE than welcome to happen again. Its official, everyone. I am officially in love with Azula. I'm asking her out like tonight.

The General was a dumbass. Nice shot Sokka. But his stupidity produced a BEAUTIFUL fight sequence. I'm lovin it.

I laughed HISTERICLLY when Aang drank that tea. So much in fact I flipped the chair over and missed the minute or so after that. Gaud. So funny. I mean, there was no excuse for how funny that was.

But I'm a little disappointed in Zuko. I mean, first he shouts at his uncle like that. Not cool. Then, he falls into a so obvious trap. *sigh* Oh, Zuko....

Anyone know what was up with the hair cutting at the end? Is that Chinese or something?

The revelation about the Avatar State was a little quick but none the less interesting. Man, Aang better not mess that up or he's screwed.

All in all, episode was awesome. I love the new slightly older looks for the characters (Sokka with his hair down!). I just want to see more of Azula.

Acastus
Expert Advisor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Victim of the gelatinous cube.

« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2006 08:46 pm »

I'm asking her out like tonight.

I'll bet that'll be a shocking experience.

Anyway, I confess I did like Azula. She's evil. I hope Grey Delisle can keep Vicky (from FOP) out of the voice as much as possible though, otherwise my brain is going to conflate the two. I don't hear the Joker at all from Hamill's Ozai, so I'll keep my hopes up on Azula.
FoxSpirit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

~Soul Reaper~

« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2006 08:54 pm »

This episode was really good because there was a lot of fighting and battle! I thought Azula was a fire bender not a spark bender.
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2006 08:55 pm by Acastus » Logged
Robot Mule
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Turba, Cunfusio, Inordinatum

« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2006 08:55 pm »

You know, if I could meet the makers of this show I'd give them a hug. Because it's clear this show is fun on a bun. Except, you know, for the characters. They don't think it's fun on a bun at all.

http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=460.msg893373#msg893373
By reading this signature I have wasted SECONDS of your time you will never get back. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!
Ghostgrape
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2006 09:50 pm »

This episode was wonderful! Azula is freakin awesome but how do you get lighting out of fire? I was shocked when general fung quicksand katara. We got to see sokka hair down too! I can't wait for next week  Grin

Used to Be Star_Panda, Now GhostGrape! Long Story don't ask...
Swamp Dweller
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Toph, you rule.

« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2006 09:59 pm »

Great opener for season two. The fights were done really well and the mini-flashbacks were nice too.

My favorite part was the last two fights. Good guys vs. good guys, bad guys vs. bad guys. This one the best things in this show. It's not just Good against Evil, there more than just two factions and it makes the show very interesting and allows for extremely cool battle sequences.

Anyone know what was up with the hair cutting at the end? Is that Chinese or something?

I don't know much about Asian cultures, but I do know that in many D&D worlds dwarves consider their beards a symbol of honor and having their beard cut off is one of the worst punishments they can get. Traitors, for example, are shaved and banished instead of being imprisoned or executed.

When I saw Zuko and Iroh cut their hair, I assumed that it was to symbolize their difference from the rest of the Fire Nation. They are traitors now. They are on the run.

Are you so busy fighting you cannot see your own ship has set sail? --Ancient Irohnian proverb
Star Outlaw
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Are you okay?

« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2006 12:49 am »

Another good episode, and it helped kick off the season. It seems Zuko and Iroh have finally begun their life on the run. I'll love to see how this turns out for them.

The fight sequences were as amazing as usual. I loved seeing the earthbenders attack with those wheels. Oh, and seeing Iroh and Azula fight was also very well done. Iroh redirecting her lightning attack and then throwing her overboard brought a smile to my face.

The Avatar cycle breaking if Aang dies while in the Avatar State is also a nice twist. I bet we'll see more of that later on.

Check out my Avatar Music Videos.

I keep Pabu. Sig by LeonsKennedy4815
BelleDragon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2006 12:18 pm »

I thought it was a great twist to give Aang insight into his Avatar state.  It is amazing to know that all previous Avatars are conjured and pool their resources together to create the ultimate power in the current Avatar.  Given the seriousness of the revelation that the Avatar will cease to exist if he gets killed in that state, I think we'll see Aang mature a bit this season. 

Nat
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I haven't given up hope yet. ;_;

darthnat@hotmail.com charaznable26
« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2006 02:24 pm »

I like how this show gets right into the thick of things.  They didn't mess around with any sissy introduction episode to this season.  It was straight into the action.

I'm intrigued by the Avatar state.  The fact that Aang is both at his strongest and weakest while in it is bound to come into play later.  He could use it against a very strong enemy, but he would almost have to succeed or the consequences would be disasterous.  And in the flashback to the other Avatars, we see them using it in bursts.  I wonder if Aang will ever be able to control it to that extent...

And Iroh is always awesome.  The part where he grabbed Azula's hand and used his body as a circuit to deflect her lightning was too cool.

thunder_713
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fire Nation Traitor...

evilbabyrulesall@msn.com thndr713
« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2006 07:16 pm »

It's kinda an all-together Asian thing, but the best instance I can think of it is in Japan, with the samurais. The topknot, or ponytail, is supposed to be a symbol of honor and bravery or some wonderful kamukazi-sounding stuff like that. By cutting it off, Zuko and Iroh were symbolizing that they have no honor, or something along those lines.

^Zuko fan? Check out Lava Love God

Keeper of Sokka's necklace and Zuko's ship.

(LLG banner thanks to omgasp). Icon by magicker_icons.
Iapetus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The Ghost Witch

« Reply #14 on: Mar 19, 2006 12:38 am »

It's kinda an all-together Asian thing, but the best instance I can think of it is in Japan, with the samurais. The topknot, or ponytail, is supposed to be a symbol of honor and bravery or some wonderful kamukazi-sounding stuff like that. By cutting it off, Zuko and Iroh were symbolizing that they have no honor, or something along those lines.

Actually I think it was more of a way to signify that the two of them were permanently cutting ties with the Fire Nation.  For Zuko it's a really big step since he's finally accepting his status as an exile (or at least is one step closer to accepting it).

-Kim

"One of the world's most popular entertainments is a deck of cards, which contains thirteen each of four suits, highlighted by kings, queens and jacks, who are possibly the queen's younger, more attractive boyfriends.- Lemony Snicket, "Horseradish (Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid)"
Ranji
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #15 on: Mar 19, 2006 10:35 pm »

I agree that cutting off the ponytail symbolized permanantly cutting ties with the fire nation.  If you notice, most of the fire nation folks have ponytails with a Fire Nation insignia.  It must be a patriotic thing for them. 

I think Zuko finally realizes that he can never go home again.  Iroh is in the same position.  I think it was sad, because they seemed to love their nation more than anything else.

I wonder if Zuko will still pursue the Avatar.  Even though he can never return, maybe capturing the Avatar can be a way for him to win back his father's love.

On another side, the "vulnerability" of Aang in the avatar state is really cool and will definately complicate things later on.
Green Lizard
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Mar 20, 2006 03:22 pm »

Azula seems really evil, and a good combat fighter as well.

One thing I don't understand is how do the avatars know the cycle will end if none of them have ever died during the avatar state?
Force
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #17 on: Mar 20, 2006 04:02 pm »

One thing I don't understand is how do the avatars know the cycle will end if none of them have ever died during the avatar state?

It's just something that they know. Roku's character is supposed to be, for the most part, all knowing about the Avatar, the ancient world, and spirits. He is Aang's previous-Avatar-guide so it's basiclly his purpose to know these things. You don't really question it.

Green Lizard
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #18 on: Mar 20, 2006 04:43 pm »

Well Another thing that doesn't make sense to me is that out of all the avatars, which has to be at least over 200 past avatars, can they honestly expect me to believe that not one of the past avatars has not died in the avatar state, that there wasn't at least one battle that was so instense for the avatar that he or she wouldn't have died while in the avatar state?
Force
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #19 on: Mar 20, 2006 06:06 pm »

Well Another thing that doesn't make sense to me is that out of all the avatars, which has to be at least over 200 past avatars, can they honestly expect me to believe that not one of the past avatars has not died in the avatar state, that there wasn't at least one battle that was so instense for the avatar that he or she wouldn't have died while in the avatar state?

Yes. What, is it THAT hard to believe?

thunder_713
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fire Nation Traitor...

evilbabyrulesall@msn.com thndr713
« Reply #20 on: Mar 20, 2006 06:09 pm »

I think there's a couple different ways you can look at this.

For one, I think all the other Avatars knew that the Avatar State was a defense mechanism, and only a last resort one at that. Most likely, they all knew not to go into it unless the need was dire, and just how risky it was, even then. Aang's gone into it more b/c he didn't know that, but know that Roku's enlightened him...it will probably become a last-ditch desperate measure sort of thing.

Another way to think about it is this: if you saw someone go into the Avatar State, and, for example, they turned into the giant lizard-fish that Aang did in the 'Siege of the North'. Would you attack them? Most likely not. Also, as the Avatar State is a defense mechanism, it most likely becomes drastically harder to hurt, much less kill, the Avatar in this state.

And, again on that thread, with all of the Avatar's fighting through that one body, it's possible that they could consciously avoid any threat of death or harm. If the experience of the Avatars was actually consciously there, Aang would probably know enough to avoid attack. If that made any sense at all.

If none of that is true, then luck can come into play.  Grin

^Zuko fan? Check out Lava Love God

Keeper of Sokka's necklace and Zuko's ship.

(LLG banner thanks to omgasp). Icon by magicker_icons.
Green Lizard
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Mar 20, 2006 06:34 pm »

Well on a related note, despite the Earth Kingdom General being a bit crazy, I understood where he was coming from. I do think Aang could defeat the Fire Lord while in the avatar state, ecspecially if he turned into that kaiju-like water spirit again. It does seem that if Anag could control what he does in the avatar state, he could end the war quick and easy. Like I said, the General may have been mad, but he certainly had good intentions.
Swamp Dweller
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Toph, you rule.

« Reply #22 on: Mar 20, 2006 06:50 pm »

For one, I think all the other Avatars knew that the Avatar State was a defense mechanism, and only a last resort one at that. Most likely, they all knew not to go into it unless the need was dire, and just how risky it was, even then. Aang's gone into it more b/c he didn't know that, but know that Roku's enlightened him...it will probably become a last-ditch desperate measure sort of thing.

Another way to think about it is this: if you saw someone go into the Avatar State, and, for example, they turned into the giant lizard-fish that Aang did in the 'Siege of the North'. Would you attack them? Most likely not. Also, as the Avatar State is a defense mechanism, it most likely becomes drastically harder to hurt, much less kill, the Avatar in this state.

And, again on that thread, with all of the Avatar's fighting through that one body, it's possible that they could consciously avoid any threat of death or harm. If the experience of the Avatars was actually consciously there, Aang would probably know enough to avoid attack. If that made any sense at all.

If none of that is true, then luck can come into play.  Grin

To add to that, the Avatar is the only one who knows about this weakness. I doubt whoever the past Avatars were fighting tried to kill them when they were in the Avatar state.

Are you so busy fighting you cannot see your own ship has set sail? --Ancient Irohnian proverb
Acastus
Expert Advisor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Victim of the gelatinous cube.

« Reply #23 on: Mar 20, 2006 07:12 pm »

To add to that, the Avatar is the only one who knows about this weakness.

That's a strong statement. This information certainly isn't common knowledge, of course, otherwise Roku wouldn't have had to tell him. However, who knows what Ozai, Iroh or other learrned people know? To boot, I'd wager Koh knows about this, but that is pure, unadulterated speculation.
Savitri
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #24 on: Mar 20, 2006 10:42 pm »

They really packed a lot into this first episode.  It will be interesting to see if the wrtiers can keep up the momentum throughout the entire season.  The pressure on Aang has at least doubled.  I was both surprised and impressed that they showed the wounded Earth Kingdom soldiers. 

Azula is a formidable enemy.  But the real treat for me was seeing Iroh in action.  He gives off an air of quiet power - nice to see him use it.  I loved watching  him redirect the lightning and dump Azula unceremoniously off her own ship.  And, unlike Force, I have hope that Iroh will survive.  His beard is gray, not white, and he is not the mentor of our young hero.  Sadly, Bumi is more likely to play the Obi Wan Kenobi role......

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here.  I'm mad.  You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."
 - Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: