Dec 10, 2018 02:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SDCC 2007 Summary  (Read 20118 times)
Acastus
Expert Advisor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Victim of the gelatinous cube.

« on: Jul 28, 2007 08:22 pm »

Okay folks, we thought we'd write up a summary of the program and some of the major points from the presentation this morning. The panel consisted of the following people:

1. Bryan Konietzko (Co-creator and Executive Producer)
    2. Joaquim Dos Santos (Storyboard Artists)
    3. Dee Bradley Baker (Voice Actor, "Appa", "Momo", etc.)
    4. Andrea Romano (Voice Director)
    5. Katie Matilla, who was standing in for Aaron Ehasz who at the last minute couldn't make the panel.
    6. Eric Coleman (Nick executive and panel moderator who didn't suck Smiley)

After the introductions were done they immediately played a short message from Michael DiMartino who couldn't be there. After saying "hi" to everyone, he introduced a surprise appearance from M. Night Shyamalan who expressed confidence and enthusiasm for the upcoming movies. Mike indicated that he and Bryan were also going to be enthusiastically involved.

Following this message, they played a three or four minute season three promo. We've posted a copy of this promo on the mainsite and on my youtube account here: SDCC Avatar Season 3 Promo. They played the promo again later in the presentation, and it is this second go round that is posted on youtube since it came out better. Likewise, the screenshots from the second showing of the promo are better, and those are 265 through 355.

Next, Joachim walked us through some concept sketches, finished character designs and storyboards. These are screenshots 79 through 147 on the mainsite.

Following the sketches, Brian walked the audience through the lighter side of the "video references" that are used by the Korean animators in addition to the keyframe shots sent from the US over for the creation of the "in between shots" that complete the episode. These are screeshots 150 through 179. Funny shots of this included Bryan doing his world famous "Sprinkler Dance" (shot 177 & 178) and Sifu Kisu accidently kicking the camera (shot # 165-167)!

Katie Matilla then walked us through the upcoming second all Avatar Nick Magazine, the cover of which has been floating around the internet for some time. The focus of the magazine is on the gap between the end of season 2 and the beginning of season 3. The length of time that passed was not specified even though the question was asked of Bryan, though it was evidently enough time for Aang to grow a head of hair!

Next, Dee Bradley Baker and Andrea Romano gave us a wonderful demonstration of voice over production work (shots 189 to 264). They played two clips of Appa and Momo in different situations. The first time the clip was played it was without any sound. Then it was played again while Dee did the sounds for either Appa and Momo live. Lastly, the clip was played as it was actually broadcast. Dee then did the voices and sounds with the lights on so we could see the funny faces he has to make in order to produce the sounds and voices!

Lastly, they replayed the season 3 promo, awarded prizes to many of the awesome cosplayers (including our very own Karalora (Ursa, complete with "Fire Scrunchy!"), her sister Lokotei (the best Yue at the con), Avatar_Mom (a perfect Smellerbee!), her son Ao_Oni (in a very fetching Blue Spirit Mask)) who attended the panel, and then a 15 minute Q&A session. We'll post cosplay pictures later, and we're sure the alternatecoppa will post some excellent ones at Dongbu Feng and AmiraElizabeth's killer Comic Con site!

So much for the summary. To wrap up, here are some take aways. We'll post more as they are pointed out.

• This is the last season. It's been said before, but Bryan confirmed it once again.
  • Although it is the last season, Bryan was clear that "they were not done with the Avatar world."
  • Bryan and Michael, as suspected, are going to be heavily involved in the creation and production of the live action movies
  • Zuko and Mai are obviously hooking up in season 3. Don't believe me? Check out screenshot # 276.
  • The heavily speculated upon episode "The Beach" looks basically like "Avatar: The Swimsuit Edition" - check out screenshots 93 - 100. By the way "Avatar: The Swimsuit Edition" is a joke of mine, NOT something from the creators, so please stop the rumors that's it's the title of the episode or something! Tongue
  • Teo and the Northern Air Temple air force returns for some kick butt action.
  • We finally see the Fire Nation capital and the Fire Lord's palace.
  • The Fire Nation finally deploys war balloons or airships the technology of which they acquired in episode 117.
  • We see a young Avatar Roku getting his Avatar groove on (check out the awesome four element blast he delivers in screenshots 346 to 349.
  • Sokka gets some heavy duty armor (shot 286) and learns some advanced fighting techniques (319 - 321).

Anyway, that's all I can regurgitate right now. I'm sure there is stuff I've missed, but I'll add anything I've missed.

NB: Several pithy comments for this summary have been graciously supplied by Karalora, who is sitting next to me helping me through sleep deprived delirium. Thanks!
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2007 02:08 am by Acastus » Logged
orcacam07
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2007 08:23 pm »

Awesome! Thanks for posting it.

ChibiChibiBear
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

You gotta deal with it.

« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2007 08:28 pm »

Great! I'm so excited!

Keeper of: Zuko's hatred of peasant life, Jet and Zuko's teamwork, Jet's obsession with Zuko, and the ship of Jetko!
Master of: Broadswords, hookswords, and
orcacam07
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2007 08:30 pm »

HAHAHAHAH! I can't wait for the Beach Episode! Avatar The Swimsuit Edition! I'll be looking forward to that one!

Roku851
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Got Venom? WE do.

« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2007 08:31 pm »

Lol everybody goes to the beach for a nice day of relaxation.  Thanks Acustus for posting!

AWSOME sig by Katara360

KING OF THE OFF TOPIC THREAD.

"Don't tell GOD how big the storm is, tell the storm how big GOD is."-Dennis Paulson
Enter The Avatar State
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Sig by KataraTheWaterbender

spenderbomber_7@hotmail.com
« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2007 08:33 pm »

Acastus, you rule.

Keeping: Sokka's armor, The Avatar State, all Waterbending and all Firebending
OvanTheRebirth
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do you want to know the truth?

« Reply #6 on: Jul 28, 2007 08:35 pm »

Yay! Thank you very much, Acastus! Grin

"Traveler, take this to heart.  It is always darkest before dawn..."
ChibiChibiBear
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

You gotta deal with it.

« Reply #7 on: Jul 28, 2007 08:35 pm »

There should have been a picture of Sokka in his bathing suit! And possibly Zuko(even though I'm mad at him)

Keeper of: Zuko's hatred of peasant life, Jet and Zuko's teamwork, Jet's obsession with Zuko, and the ship of Jetko!
Master of: Broadswords, hookswords, and
Bethiesbabyjennifur
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

What's your superpower?

« Reply #8 on: Jul 28, 2007 08:40 pm »

I see they specifically left out Suki...she died and Sokka went berserk...(kudos to those who get it what I mean)

Keeper of: Iroh's cracked teapot, Fu-Fu Cuddlypoops's apple, and Zuko's grief.
Weapon's Master of the boomerang.
Oblivion
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I believe in Obby Dent.

« Reply #9 on: Jul 28, 2007 08:48 pm »

Acastus, thank you so much for the report.

I'm getting really excited!!

I ship EndlessOblivion and MelodicOblivion. Do you? <3
TaiChiTea
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Baby, you're my forever girl..."

« Reply #10 on: Jul 28, 2007 08:58 pm »

...none of the screenshots show up on my computer.

::sigh::

But I am PUMPED for the 60+ minute video!!

Oh yeah, thanks for doing all of this!

orcacam07
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #11 on: Jul 28, 2007 09:06 pm »

60 Minute Video? What?

jman1009
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Time to face your destiny...

« Reply #12 on: Jul 28, 2007 09:09 pm »

I cannot thank you guys enough for all the information that you have compiled together. It's an incredible help to those of us unable to attend the Comicon. Thank you so much!

Sig by Sedai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

A mastered waterbender

« Reply #13 on: Jul 28, 2007 09:18 pm »

thanks for telling us this.

<-- click on my egg and help it hatch ^^
The Deserter
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Where we're going, we won't need any pants!

« Reply #14 on: Jul 28, 2007 09:20 pm »

OH JEBUS. Me and my family just watched the promo and all I can say is we're all going to be sitting down to watch that on the 21st!

kia209
Can't Use Avatars
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Rebirthing Now or when Season 3 begins!!!!

« Reply #15 on: Jul 28, 2007 09:22 pm »

Thank you so much for telling all of these!!!!!!!

"OK, yeah I killed your dad, but the goods news is that you are now Fire Lord... And I saved a bunch of money on car insurance!"
Tongone
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Jul 28, 2007 09:25 pm »

Well, with the given information on "The Beach" and the character designs of some of the girls in bathing suits, I am defintely looking forward to that episode.

Edit: Acastus, I forgot to say thanks!
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2007 09:55 pm by Tongone » Logged
Agent S7
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Metal Gear!?

« Reply #17 on: Jul 28, 2007 09:49 pm »

My AWS is finally ending. Wow...so much awesome, epic, win, pwn and gold. Yes, too many internet phrases, but at this point I don't care. This is just so awesome there needs to be a new word to describe it. Like Pwnsome. Or Epwin.

OK, just watched the promo. I really don't think anything I say can justify how amazing that was. Thank you so much, Acastus, for posting this. Man, I am completely hyped. This is going to rock. Sokka in armor, Maiko (for the win!), Iroh imprisoned (nooo!), Aang going it alone...this is truly going to rule. Aw, man. September 21st couldn't come sooner!

Sweet MGS Avvy by guitarfreak!
poisonedheart
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #18 on: Jul 28, 2007 10:32 pm »

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! I CANT WAIT!
Rango
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I lol'd.

« Reply #19 on: Jul 28, 2007 10:50 pm »

omg.

i was gone all day and i come home to this.....*mini- seisure*
watermistress
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

CURSES! foiled again.

Starshine9938@hotmail.com
« Reply #20 on: Jul 28, 2007 11:30 pm »

did anyone else notice that when Zuko put that hood up and walk away that it was almost exactly the same as what ursa did? they said he would be looking for her...

dianam41
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Zuko by Konietzko

« Reply #21 on: Jul 28, 2007 11:45 pm »

I want to know who Zuko is using the Dao swords against!
Tha Lotus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #22 on: Jul 29, 2007 12:36 am »

Man thats a good summary. especially the one about M night and the movie. Man I want to be in that movie...
killerpenguin55
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

My icon is irrelevant, but i still like it ^.^

« Reply #23 on: Jul 29, 2007 12:42 am »

man, i love the mods. they do so much for us!

Do you think they have a "Thank you Moderators for the SDCC info" hallmark card? Wink

Cant wait to see everything people caught!

keeper of Chongs "Master Arrowhead" and Aangs bandages

*Let your chakras flow

Kataang; (n) latin canonous shipous Canon pairing KataraXAang in the show Avatar: The Last Airbender. Destined since episode 1. antonym: see ZUTARA

...the end...<3
UncleIroh
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

My beloved Lu Ten; I will see you again.

« Reply #24 on: Jul 29, 2007 12:47 am »

Woah dude, thanks so much.

Sig by storm-of-insanity

Iroh could use some more loving...
Perhaps we could hook him up with all the Joo Dees?
Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: