Mar 30, 2017 09:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 84 (46.2%)
9 - 35 (19.2%)
8 - 35 (19.2%)
7 - 13 (7.1%)
6 - 7 (3.8%)
5 - 3 (1.6%)
4 - 1 (0.5%)
3 - 1 (0.5%)
2 - 1 (0.5%)
1 - 2 (1.1%)
Total Voters: 174

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [103] The Southern Air Temple  (Read 16478 times)
gtbird24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Avi by Flame_Fall

« Reply #50 on: Jun 10, 2008 09:52 pm »

This episode in my mind is more like the first actual episode. The first 2 gave us background on what is going on, and introduced us into the story. Now we actually start to learn about the characters themselves. The story only gets beter from here. They kind of set the bar for their story here, and then exceded it again and again. Its basically the start of an epic story.

Thank you So Much Georgie for the amazing sig!
Violet Vespertine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #51 on: Sep 10, 2008 01:59 pm »

Good episode.  I rated it an eight.

Loved Aang's excitement about seeing his old home and I felt so bad for him when he realized that the airbenders really are all gone.  Poor Aang was devastated and rightly so.  He is extremely intimidating when the avatar spirit takes over.  Looks like Katara has the magic tough with Aang.  He really connects with her(of course, his crush doesn't hurt) and she can calm him down.

The Agni Kai between Zuko and Commander Zhao(?) was very cool.  The commander showed his true colours when attacking a retreating Zuko.  And he called Zuko a coward and a disgrace!!!!  I'm glad Zuko beat him.  Zuko needs to get a bit of a handle on that fiery temper, though.

Uncle Iroh was awesome(as always).
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2008 02:02 pm by bacwas » Logged
Gye Byrd
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #52 on: Sep 19, 2008 04:21 am »

Yay! Time for the second episode review from me. I'll try to keep it short, sweet, and to the point.

Here's another great episode for us to enjoy. I like the way they tell the parallel stories between Aang and Zuko, and still manage to get a lot told without overwhelming us with pointless information.

From the get-go we already get some good humor to start us off. Aang all scared Sokka with a stick making him think a snake was going to get him. That's a good way to wake somebody up. Maybe I'll try that one day...

Sokka really does have some pretty bad luck. Aang stole his food and burned it just to spite him! Or maybe it's because he didn't know. You can't blame the little guy. He don't eat meat! Blubber seal jerky, hmm... Sounds like an interesting food. Jerky made outta fat. Jerky's tough while fat is soft. Quite a combination.

Poor Aang, he just doesn't wanna accept the fact that there are no more Air Nomads. Still, he wants to see it for himself just to erase any doubt from his mind. Katara is a really great motherly character. She's always looking out for the guy, trying to keep him from getting his hopes up, and even trying to keep him from seeing evidence of any trace of Fire Nation on his home turf.

Zuko time! That part where Admiral Commander Zhao asked them how they damaged their ship was great.

Zhao: That's quite a bit of damage.
Zuko: Yes, you wouldn't believe what happened. Uncle! Tell Commander Zhao what happened.
Iroh: Yes, I will do that. It was incredible! What, did we crash or something?

Gee, you'd think for somebody with that much life experience they'd come up with a plausible story right away. I just liked watching Iroh's reaction when Zuko told him to give Zhao the details.

Back to the GAang. That flashback to the Southern Air Temple back in the good old days was beautiful. The first thing that came to my mind right away was Monk Gyatso's voice. It took me a while to figure out where I heard it from, but when I did, man, was I happy. He's Uncle from Jackie Chan Adventures. Now that's another show I gotta stop reminiscing about.

That cake gag was awesome. Usually, I don't find pie jokes humorous, but for some reason seeing those monks getting nailed by those cakes tickled something inside me and I needed to laugh it all out.

I also liked that Momo chase scene. Aang's crazy for jumping off the balcony like that. C'mon, that wasn't fair for Sokka. Alas, it didn't end happily, though.

That must've hurt a lot, seeing Gyatso's skeleton surrounded by dead firebenders. When Aang was in the Avatar State and Katara calmed him down I couldn't help but smile at the close bond these two have already developed so quickly, which will develop into so much more in the long run.

Back to Zuko now. His agni kai with Zhao was very nice. I love how in this show they don't recycle the same old moves over and over just to lengthen a fight scene. *coughDragonballcough* First thing I noticed was how buff Zuko is. Man, I forgot how buff this guy was. What happened to him in Book 2 & 3? What did he do? Or, I guess it's what he didn't do that made him shrink from his former glory.

When Zhao had him cornered and on the ground I thought it was all over. Then, all of a sudden, he busts out this crazy breakdancing move and gains the upper hand. This time, when Zuko had Zhao at his mercy he did something I don't think anybody wasn't unexpecting. He spared Zhao of that scar Zuko promised to deliver. Oh, but when Zuko walks away from his victory Zhao did the unthinkable and attacked him from behind!

Just when you thought Iroh couldn't be anymore awesome he comes out and wows you again. He's so awesome, he came all the way from the other side of the field, intercepted Zhao's attack, and gives a light push that sends him flying several feet across the ground, all in the blink of an eye. Iroh even had the audacity to diss Zhao by saying his nephew is more honorable as an exile than he is. Never underestimate old, fat people. Sammo Hung rules!

Overall, another great episode that really marks the beginning of the adventures they'll be going on. The first two are more like prologues. They even got a new addition to the group.

Hmm, this review doesn't really seem short. Oh well, I'll try it next time. It's pretty hard. There's so much to say about every episode.

I give this episode a 10.
Violet Vespertine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #53 on: Sep 19, 2008 06:13 am »

I think Zuko's still buff in Season 2.  He just wears Earth Nation clothing that covers up his awesome body most of the time. Wink
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Monk's Gone Wild (IZ TEH BIGGEST ZUTARIAN ON ASN)

« Reply #54 on: Sep 22, 2008 06:52 pm »

I think Zuko's still buff in Season 2.  He just wears Earth Nation clothing that covers up his awesome body most of the time. Wink

If you look at Zuko's other pictures he lost a lot of the muscle/weight. I think he looked pretty good in SEason 2. Season 3 was his ultimate buff stage (espically in this eppie) and Zuko stopped eating (well) in season 2.

Keeper of Aang discovering he had hair, Zuko&Katara first mission together

I thanked everyone who made me icon/sig on DA. General/Commander AA22 of the Zutarmy. Master of the weapon Zutaratana!
Violet Vespertine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #55 on: Oct 22, 2008 07:08 pm »

I rewatched this episode last night.  I can't get over how many past avatars there were in the temple.  If every avatar lived for at least 50 years and you multiplied those years by the number of past avatars, the number would be huge.  Wonder if there's been an avatar since the beginning of human life in the avatar universe.  It looks like it.

I love how utterly unphased Iroh is by Zuko's hot headedness.  He just rolls with the punches and drinks his tea, observing his nephew and giving bits of sage advice or encouragement.

That Zhao guy is a total tool.  I hate him with a passion.

AppA Driver
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Everybody behave! Appa's in charge

« Reply #56 on: Jun 23, 2009 07:04 pm »

Reviewing these episodes with the extras made me realize something, that this episode is the only one with out a white title card, it shows back round art. Wonder why?

THE LAST AIRBENDER- ITS NOT COSPLAY!
water avatar864
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #57 on: Jun 24, 2009 11:00 am »

no white background is probably an error that was made Undecided

Signature by tongone
system4000
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Dragon Dance

« Reply #58 on: Jun 24, 2009 06:11 pm »

This was a good episode in that we get to see what happened to Aang 100 years ago. And that Zhao is pure meaness.

whatzitsname
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

(WARNING: This fan is a 'Kataang' supporter!!!)

« Reply #59 on: Aug 25, 2009 12:20 am »

Reviewing these episodes with the extras made me realize something, that this episode is the only one with out a white title card, it shows back round art. Wonder why?
Maybe it shows how significant the episode is in context of the story, because the episode shows how each of the other nations are now aware of the avatar's existance in the world. What makes me wonder is why should the 'avatar-signal' be set off when Aang is emotional, rather than when he was released from the iceburg, or 100yrs previously when the avatar state was activated to protect himself...

Loved the Agni Kai Grin Even though Zuko is the main antagonist in the story at this point, the fight showed the importance of remembering basics for any activity. Rock on Zuko  Wink

Whatz is keeper of:
-'The Track Team' musical score for the Order of the White Lotus' battle in Ba Sing Se
-Toph's rhythimc knock on the airship control room door (Into the Inferno)
-Monk Gyatso's butt-kicking of Aang at Pai Sho
-The singing prairie dog that pops out under Sokka in 'The Library'
MookieBear
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Hello, Zuko Here

« Reply #60 on: Jan 24, 2010 03:45 pm »

7... This episode isn't the BEST. It's just okay.

~MooKie

I have mastered the elements a thousand times in a thousand lifetimes. Now I must do it once again.
Celestine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Reign of stars.

« Reply #61 on: Jan 24, 2010 05:53 pm »

This episode was a significant step down from its two predecessors. Half of it features unusually bad voice-acting and animation, while the other half is pretty good. My theory is that this was the first episode actually produced. It would make sense to go ahead and make a real episode to stay on schedule since you don't want your opening act to be a let down for potential fans. It also makes good sense to put it towards the beginning so that you get it out of the way and no one remembers it so much. If this indeed was the first episode completed, suffice it to say, it shows.

The animators, voice-actors, and everyone else have to get used to the requirements for producing the show. So if this is the first episode, shoddy acting and animation is to be expected. Not all of it is bad though. The voice-acting and animation along the B-plot (Zuko's plot) were up to par. The animation was quite beautiful and the voice-acting was on target. It's actually the A-plot that suffers. Compared to the rest of the series, this plot in the episode demonstrated some of the worst animation in the series, and certainly the worst voice-acting. The only thing which really redeems the episode is the overall plot. We get two new supporting characters, some hints at Zuko's and Iroh's pasts, caught up with the situation regarding Aang as the avatar and as an airbender, and our first taste of Katara's grief. Really and truly, this episode had a lot of potential to be one of the elite. For a variety of reasons, it just falls short; one whose contribution to the overall story is best taken quickly and the episode itself just as quickly forgotten.

Perception is everything.

Keeper of Iroh's past mistakes and Katara's laughter.

Sig by The_Elite.
Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #62 on: Apr 11, 2010 10:32 pm »

positives
-the first time we really get to see how awesome Iroh is (wisdom, humor, and TEA Grin)
-great Zuko/Iroh interactions, and Zuko actually smiles for a second
-Agni Kai
-good introduction to Zhao
-Gyatso flashback
-hinting at Zuko's past
-great music

negatives
-pretty bad animation through most of it
-a lot of the humor falls flat and feels out of place (in the A plot)
-not enough focus on the loss of Aang's people (I know it's a kid's show but still...)

rating: 9.5

The rating seems a bit high (even to me Cheesy), but overall I really love this episode.  Some parts of it aren't up to par with the rest of the series, but it's the little things throughout the episode that count for me in this case.
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2010 10:37 pm by Mooseboy018 » Logged

my Last Airbender comics
keeper of: Koh's creepy voice, his laugh, and his three minutes of screen-time.
system4000
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Dragon Dance

« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2010 04:03 pm »

Saw this episode again the other day and noticed that except for the Avatar Firenation temple, that we never get to see the Avatar EarthKingdom Temple or Avatar Northern Water tribe temple again which they showed in this episode. Aang did get to the Northern water tribe but we never see him visiting the Avatar temple in that city. In the Earthkingdom we do not even know where it is located. The Earthkingdoms Avatar temple seemed the nicest.

antking
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #64 on: Jul 05, 2010 11:35 am »

I watched this again a few days ago and was curious as to why all the temples lit up to show an avatar in the avatar state once Aang went into the avatar state at the southern air temple, but not when he went into the avatar state underwater in the previous episode. Was it because he was close to one of the temples (Air) so that triggered that temple to light up and, in turn, the rest?

Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #65 on: Jul 05, 2010 05:40 pm »

I've always wondered that too...

And it's also kind of funny how one of the Fire Sages says "the Avatar has returned!" in this episode, even though the previous episode is called the Avatar Returns. Grin

my Last Airbender comics
WaterKatara
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Kataang Forever

« Reply #66 on: Jul 09, 2010 12:21 pm »

I ended up crying when he got really upset. Must be hard for him to see everyone dead. Everyone he knew. Especially Monk Gyatso.

Shipper of Kataang.Keeper of Aang's sensitiveness and Katara's anger.Kataang will always be together.FOREVER!!
tweedledee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #67 on: Jul 10, 2010 05:25 pm »

I have a question about this episode.

One thing I love most about the show is the mythology, and one of my favorite scenes in the entire series is when Aang enters the temple and sees Avatars past.  When their eyes light up all around the world, it seems so... epic.  It's really the first time we really see the Avatar's spiritual significance in the world.  One thing I wonder is why the Air Nomads, possibly only the ones in the SAT, have a temple full of Avatar statues.  We see the temples in the other nations, but we only see the statues of each Avatar in the SAT.  Presumably, it's the only temple large enough to fit all those statues.  I wonder why they are the ones who are keeping a record, so to speak, of each Avatar (not just their own Air Nomad natives) in this way.

Also, Roku once said there have been over a thousand Avatars.  There appeared to be a lot of statues in the temple, but nowhere near a thousand.  I wonder if there some other record of Avatars that precede the first ones enshrined at the SAT.
Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #68 on: Jul 10, 2010 05:43 pm »

I think Roku was exaggerating about the "thousand lifetimes" thing.  And maybe the Southern Air Temple just happened to be chosen to have the statue room, maybe the other temples had their own unique features.  The Air Nomads were the most spiritual of the four nations, so they probably felt more of a connection to the Avatar in a way.

my Last Airbender comics
aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #69 on: Jul 10, 2010 06:23 pm »

Actually, I remember Teo mentioning a hall of statues at the Western Air Temple. Maybe they were Avatar statues. There were only statues of Airbenders around the temple while the Avatars were in a specific place. I like how you pointed out that the AN were the most spiritual and maybe that's why they had statues of all the Avatars. I never put the two together, but it seems like a really good idea as to why they had all those statues, maybe that's the temple designated for male Avatars to train for Airbending unless the he was born to the Northern Temple. I think that could be the case seeing as Roku went to the Southern Temple to learn Airbending and not the Northern one even though he went to the Northern Water Tribe for Waterbending even though the Southern Tribe is closer to the Southern Air Temple.

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
tweedledee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #70 on: Jul 10, 2010 09:01 pm »

True!  I guess it makes sense geographically.  And, perhaps, there is another Hall of Avatars at the Western temple in order to train female airbending Avatars.
avastarr21
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The Elements of Life

« Reply #71 on: Jul 16, 2010 08:55 pm »

When Aang is seen flying away looking at his old home as it disappears in the clouds, that part is always emotional for me because it is the last time he sees his home.

Keeper of 'Iroh's burning of the fire nation flag at the Earth Kingdom Palace in 321'
Keeper of 'Aang saving Zuko from the blizzard in 120'
WaterKatara
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Kataang Forever

« Reply #72 on: Jul 16, 2010 10:40 pm »

I cried because of how upset he was Cry

Shipper of Kataang.Keeper of Aang's sensitiveness and Katara's anger.Kataang will always be together.FOREVER!!
Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #73 on: Jul 18, 2010 02:36 pm »

When Aang is seen flying away looking at his old home as it disappears in the clouds, that part is always emotional for me because it is the last time he sees his home.

And that moment has some of the best music in the series IMO.

my Last Airbender comics
Ambrose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #74 on: Aug 11, 2010 03:35 pm »

This was more creative than the first two, made use of some tibetan mythology in (Dahlia llama). Sokka continues to be a stock character, I hate him.
 Zuko is a definte main character, although he is clearly one of those who will turn good half way through (lol). Onto the next episode.

Carpe diem
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: