Oct 16, 2018 05:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plot Bunnies and Fic Ideas: Discuss!  (Read 135437 times)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1975 on: Aug 24, 2018 07:13 pm »

I don't think I've seen that one before. I've seen Zuko having an evil twin, Zuko being born after Azula, and Zuko and Azula simply being switched in terms of Ozai's favor, but not Zuko alone.

I'm not sure that Zuko would be more powerful, but he might be more brutal. I can see writers taking it a variety of ways, really, depending on what they want to say about nature vs nurture.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1976 on: Aug 24, 2018 07:17 pm »

I don't think I've seen that one before. I've seen Zuko having an evil twin, Zuko being born after Azula, and Zuko and Azula simply being switched in terms of Ozai's favor, but not Zuko alone.

I'm not sure that Zuko would be more powerful, but he might be more brutal. I can see writers taking it a variety of ways, really, depending on what they want to say about nature vs nurture.

Urmom666
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1977 on: Aug 25, 2018 06:13 am »

Maybe “more powerful” wasn’t the best way of putting it. I meant maybe he’d force himself to progress faster since he would be entirely under Ozai’s thumb and the focus of all attention. Especially considering Ursa being dead and Iroh doing his military stuff throughout the majority of his childhood. But yeah, it wouldn’t make him a prodigy. Ozai would definitely have to try a different approach with him here. With only one heir, it’d be utter stupidity on his part if all he did was berate him.

I wonder how he’d be friend wise with essentially no competition to hog the attention. We never see him hanging around boys his own age. I’ve always pondered how a potential ”Zuko posse” might look.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1978 on: Aug 27, 2018 06:34 pm »

Zuko's lack of social life during his years in the Capital has always been a big blank spot in his history. If there's a "Royal Academy for Girls," then presumably there's a masculine equivalent, in which case Zuko must have somehow experienced it without emerging with a single lasting friend.

I addressed it in only one of my fanfics, and even then it was just in an aside describing Zuko having been pulled from school in favor of at-home tutoring because of an "incident."

Someone should write a story where Zuko goes back to his ten-year reunion as Fire Lord.

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #1979 on: Sep 01, 2018 09:04 am »

I actually doubt that Zuko being an only child - especially if Ursa died giving birth to him - wouldn't make him stronger. For one, I'm fairly sure that this would throw his relationship with Ozai even more off-track, even openly hostile, as Zuko blames Ozai for Ursa's death or projects his self-blame into his father. A dead mother is a big deal in these kinds of stories, after all. So Ozai would hate Zuko (the reason he did this in the show is not solved with Azula being non-existent), Zuko would hate Ozai, and the boy would vent his pent-up anger into the most obvious thing: his firebending. And we are talking about a lot of anger here, with no counterbalance because Ursa is gone.

Also, without Ursa and considering the above things, Ozai's little ploy with becoming the heir would backfire quite brutally. Zuko would be too eager to get down to business with his father, so when Ozai comes to kill him, there would be a running battle between the two. With lots of raw emotion and shouting. Like, the final scene would find them duking it out on the roof of the palace, in the middle of a thunderstorm, with Zuko shouting "I hate you, father! I HATE YOU!" and Ozai answering "Father?! You are not my son!" then the two blast each other at the same time, knocking each other unconscious. I expect this level of drama at the bare minimum.

Then Azulon would banish both for being so embarrassing, so the two would end up hunting the Avatar together to earn their place back. Cue in lots of anger and shouting and screwing over the other out of spite on one side, and the occasional back-to-back fight when they face a mutual enemy (like Zhao) and moments of "these two are not so different at all" on the other. This has the potential for a very interesting tale.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Urmom666
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1980 on: Sep 01, 2018 12:58 pm »

Interesting ideas, Ato. I also wouldn’t mind if Ozai eventually came up with a plan involving Zuko to eventually overthrow Azulon and Iroh entirely. Maybe they could even try to lure Aang in with a false promise of peace.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1981 on: Sep 01, 2018 07:03 pm »

That's certainly a unique interpretation of how these characters would react. Cheesy I think it more likely that Ozai would shrug at Ursa's death and remarry ("If she was weak enough to die in childbirth, then the Fire Lord's experiment was over as soon as it began."), and Zuko's rage would make him a much worse Firebender because he's not patiently working on his breathing exercises and basics.

And then we could do a story with Zuko in a rivalry with a half-sibling.

Urmom666
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1982 on: Sep 01, 2018 11:14 pm »

Half sibling might be interesting. But I might change the stats a bit to make the rivalry more even. You’d either get:
A. Nonbender who is an utter tactical genius
B. Prodigious firebender, but with Zhao’s level of stupidity

Or hell, even both. Zuko could be stuck in the middle there as Mr. Jack of All trades but master of none.
Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: