Nov 15, 2019 02:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nick.com Avatar scene creator  (Read 13751 times)
ataricat
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Jul 14, 2006 08:31 pm »

I'm really not sure where this belongs since it's basically a game that lets you create fanart, so I'll put it here and let it get moved if it needs to be somewhere else.

http://www.nick.com/all_nick/tv_supersites/avatar/scene_creator/

This thing is like a cyber version of Colorforms you can make little Avatar movies with. It seems to be a little hard to work with and the short, text-only instructions don't help and you're limited to using Nick approved words to cut down on inappropriate fanworks, but it look like you can do some rather elaborate stuff with it.

Also it has background music from the show you can use or just sit and listen to.
wainwright-chan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

hrrrgh!

« Reply #1 on: Jul 14, 2006 09:26 pm »

huh?

I tried it, but it won't do anything

grrrrr.....

Keeper of Toph's relationships with Sokka, Iroh and Aang
InfernalZebra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Black and White and on Fire

TheInfernalZebra
« Reply #2 on: Jul 14, 2006 09:47 pm »

It looks really awesome, but the thing that I don't like is when you put text into a bubble, it is all lower-case. Maybe I are just dumb and can't work shiny technology. Anyone figure this one out?

"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream." --Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

ataricat
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2006 10:21 am »

Okay, I was going to make a little scene just to show off what this thing does, but I seem to have found a bug that keeps ruining my work, so maybe later.

This is actually a clever re-use of assets since all the artwork is either from model sheets, promo art, or other nick.com games. (which explains why all the Katara pictures are of her doing crazy waterbending and there's not one of her just standing there.)

Another glitch I found is that "Bumi" is not on the list of usable words. Guess I'll just call him "Earth king" or something.
FuzionMonkey
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2006 12:40 pm »

Its like a retarded version of flash with pre-made layers and whatever.
InfernalZebra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Black and White and on Fire

TheInfernalZebra
« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2006 06:19 pm »

Another glitch I found is that "Bumi" is not on the list of usable words. Guess I'll just call him "Earth king" or something.

From what I was trying to do, neither are Toph, Zuko, Iroh... really anyone except Aang, Katara and Sokka. I am reminded of the movie Flight of Dragons, where Smurgul is telling Peter to call out the ogre of Gormley Keep.

"Well, call him out!"
"What's his name?"
"It doesn't matter with ogres; 'Hey You' will suffice."
"Hey You, come on out and fight!"

So, looks like everyone in the scene will be a Hey You.

"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream." --Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

Myrith
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Jul 15, 2006 06:58 pm »

It looks really awesome, but the thing that I don't like is when you put text into a bubble, it is all lower-case. Maybe I are just dumb and can't work shiny technology. Anyone figure this one out?

It looks like you can't capitalize words yourself, and only a few words have capitalized counterparts. For example, there's "hey" and "Hey"... and "you" and "You." Since those are hard to find, I guess you could always start sentences with proper nouns. There are also random capitalized words like "Dag" and "Bikini."

If you want to look at lists of available words, you can go to http://www.nick.com/mynick/nickmessenger/data_files/getDictionaryList.jhtml?categoryPath=/dictionary&urlAlias=*_words, replacing the * with a letter of the alphabet. For instance, http://www.nick.com/mynick/nickmessenger/data_files/getDictionaryList.jhtml?categoryPath=/dictionary&urlAlias=a_words for a list of words starting with A.

This is actually a clever re-use of assets since all the artwork is either from model sheets, promo art, or other nick.com games. (which explains why all the Katara pictures are of her doing crazy waterbending and there's not one of her just standing there.)

Yeah, the mixture of artwork looks pretty awkward. It also seems like a clever way to promote Airheads candy.
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2006 07:18 pm by Myrith » Logged
larapistols
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Jul 15, 2006 07:39 pm »

I can't get the thing to play!!! Oh and hi am new.
GnaaRatava
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Aug 01, 2006 05:38 pm »

So I haven't mastered the scene creator, but if you're a scene creatin' guru, snurl.com/ASCCodes gives the codes to unlock more images.Cool

Has anyone made a scene with it yet?

Kit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Artificial Firebender

« Reply #9 on: Aug 02, 2006 01:00 am »

I've toyed with ASC but there's something about the timing on the animated characters.  For instance, I made a battle scene between Zuko and Katara, but Zuko would brace himself too soon and Katara would shoot her water whip too late so everything was off-sync.

I was more pleased with the mini-movie I made of Appa encouraging a baby bison to fly.

« Last Edit: Aug 02, 2006 09:49 pm by Kit » Logged

"Fire is a killer,
but sometimes what's left behind
can grow better than the generation before
if given the chance
."
SessKo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Aug 02, 2006 02:11 am »

I can't get the thing to play!!! Oh and hi am new.

Hi hi! We have an introduction thread Wink

Dr. Pepper is an intellectual drink for the chosen ones.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: