Aug 18, 2019 07:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate this episode:
10 - 181 (51.6%)
9 - 82 (23.4%)
8 - 55 (15.7%)
7 - 20 (5.7%)
6 - 8 (2.3%)
5 - 1 (0.3%)
4 - 1 (0.3%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 1 (0.3%)
1 - 2 (0.6%)
Total Voters: 331

Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [210 & 211] The Library & The Desert (The Fury of Aang)  (Read 49037 times)
sandokan2112
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Sandokan is Captain Jack Sparrow's real father

« Reply #300 on: Dec 26, 2010 02:42 pm »

^I still think Aang liked Appa more than Katara.

Im sure choosing between the 2 is not a choice Aang wants to make.
Lets not forget that when Aang was with the Guru trying to open up his 7th chakra, it was Katara that he was unable to let go of. Aang thought of Katara when asked what attached him to this world.

As was already mentioned, its 2 different kinds of love.
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #301 on: Dec 27, 2010 07:11 am »

I don't really like most the decisions, since their all about him.

Keeper of: Rebuilt Southern and Northern Water Tribes, The Earth Rumble VII, and Hama\\\'s Prison Cage.
RWB
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #302 on: Jan 02, 2011 10:54 pm »

This is from the Character devlopment thread, but it definitely has to do with this episode.

I recently rewatched the second season and... by all that is holy, did they give Toph a rough time.

Katara snaps at her for not helping out(despite the fact that she takes care of her own stuff, thereby helping the group as well). Katara makes fun of her handicap.

Then Aang gets all up in her face because she actually figured something out, and basically tells her "**** off, we liked it better without you".

Then, without basis, he blames her for Appa's disappearance (quite harshly at that). Why couldn't she save him? Because she was saving Aang's sorry ***.

Frankly, Toph wasn't so much a member of the gaang or a friend as she was Aang's and Katara's emotional punching bag.

EDIT: No wonder she fell for Sokka, he was the only one to be nice to her.

I know they kinda grow out of it but still...

Heck, even her introduction episode is sketchy. She makes it very clear, she doesn't want anything to do with Aang. Aang however forces his way into her house. That's pretty bad stuff as well.

It also made me realise how kind and tolerant Toph actually is under her gruff exterior- she suffers breach of privacy(from both Aang and Katara), gets ragged on unfairly... Heck, in some ways, she's the most mature member of the group.

I consider myself a tolerant and kind guy, but I wouldn't put up with what Toph did here.

« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2011 10:56 pm by RWB » Logged

"I made [my money] on the seas, and in the mines, and in the cattle wars of the old frontier! I made it by being tougher than the toughies, and smarter than the smarties! And I made it square!" -Scrooge Mc Duck
drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am the first Jinora fan.

« Reply #303 on: Jan 02, 2011 10:57 pm »

^I've never noticed how bad Toph had it.  But on a more positive note Cactus Juice Sokka is awesome!

kokkafan100
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

i am a bender

« Reply #304 on: Jan 06, 2011 06:55 am »

For real, its not fair, Hopefully they'll stop doing this after the next movie.
ya

i wanna be the very bets like noone ever wus to catch them ise my rele teset to train is my cuse i wil trabel acrso this land sercuing fat anr wide each pokkieman to understna the poewr than isndie
bitterblue
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #305 on: Feb 09, 2011 10:56 am »

Hi! I got a question. I'm not a native speaker of english and I really don't get the following:

Professor Zei: "Look at those beautiful buttresses"
Aang and Sokka are laughing right after this.

Is this because of the "butt" in "buttresses"? I mean I know what buttresses are, but I don't see the funny in there.
Thanks in advance!

Keeper of EIP-Aang's "Avatar State, Yip Yip!" & Toph's "That's the stuff!"
drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #306 on: Feb 09, 2011 10:58 am »

^Yes.

newavatarfan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm a real legend

« Reply #307 on: Mar 15, 2011 05:03 pm »

I remember everyone laughed in middle school at buttresses.

These are really great episodes, primarily because they mark the beginning of the most epic story arc of the entire series. The Library is a tense episode and pretty thought provoking. It kind of makes you reconsider how noble the Gaang's quest is, in the wider sense of it all. Not to mention it opens up Toph's character, as well as Aang's.

@RWB: It really is what makes her character so interesting, especially the bit about how tolerant she is underneath her gruffness.

And, well, probably the best Toph blind joke is in The Library. "There it is!" hahaha so classic.

Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #308 on: Mar 15, 2011 05:22 pm »

I liked the Desert better than the library, mainly because The Desert had more emotion and it had Zuko and Iroh.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
worldends08
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm an Avatard. Big whoop. Want to fight about it?

« Reply #309 on: Mar 15, 2011 09:58 pm »

^Same here.

Keeper of nothing but my own imagination & and this->
newavatarfan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm a real legend

« Reply #310 on: Mar 15, 2011 10:13 pm »

I liked The Desert better as well, although I really dislike the voice effect they give Aang in the Avatar State. It makes sense, but it just doesn't work in my opinion.

tophness
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^ She's a cutie.

« Reply #311 on: Mar 18, 2011 01:01 am »

Whenever Aang is in the Avatar State, I feel like I can hear a bit of Mae Whitman's voice too. Tongue

Keeps: Sokka's "Yes! Yes it can!"; Young!Mai's hair ribbons; Aang's big ears, the hidden Kataang kiss from 202
Korrasami bromance; Older!Aang's beard; Jinora's "Stay away from my dad's ex-girlfriend!"
drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #312 on: Mar 18, 2011 01:22 am »

^In the finale I think I can hear Grey Delisle.

I like these episodes.

somethingmysterious
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Christmas present from tokotothe end. Thanks ;)

« Reply #313 on: Mar 18, 2011 12:18 pm »

^I never noticed that...

Keepin: EIP Iroh's "Prince Zuko, you must try this cake", Aang's death in 220, Azula's widow's peak and Zuko's widow's peak

To do: Change avvi and sig...
worldends08
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm an Avatard. Big whoop. Want to fight about it?

« Reply #314 on: Jun 02, 2011 05:56 pm »

Even I thought Katara shouldn't have been able to grasp Aang's arm when he enclosed himself in his "Airbending ball."

Keeper of nothing but my own imagination & and this->
PnkPath
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

An Original Avatard

« Reply #315 on: Apr 11, 2012 04:38 pm »

the very end of this episode still makes me cry Sad sad!Aang gets me every time..

" width="400" height="200" border="0
Keeper of Aunt Wu's bean-curd puffs & Master Yu's coupon

Shippinggg... Ursai & Howrra
Stupendous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

juice for grown-ups

« Reply #316 on: Apr 11, 2012 04:44 pm »

^Same here. The moment at the end of The Desert kills me every time. D: Such raw emotion.

Keeper of Korra's armband, Asami's impeccable style, and the Air Kids' sibling shenanigans
aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #317 on: Apr 11, 2012 04:49 pm »

The Desert had some great character development and story elements. Everyone I know who has seen it has said that it is a great episode.

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
nukilik
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I tried!

« Reply #318 on: Jul 06, 2012 11:46 am »

After rewatching this I feel the need to point out:

-Wan Shi Tong's voice is great. Everything about that owl is awesome Cheesy

- "The Desert" is such an amazing episode

- End of "The Desert" is best Kataang moment. Or, at least, one of the most emontional and beautiful ones
Wan-Shi-Tong-Servant
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #319 on: Sep 08, 2012 03:26 pm »

i would have drank a whole barrel of cactus juice to avoid listening to him all day...
what i was saying is that it just struck me as weird that they didnt like seem to care that he's gonna drown in books and sand...but a freak wants what a freak wants, am i right?

Maybe you should take a look at this short piece. If you want insight into what was at stake for him. Yes, this is way off of Wan's canonical presentation. But I tried to get Zei down to a T. Your anti-scholar attitude is not appreciated.

Or this one, by Magnusrae.

I don't think he was going to drown at all, the palace was being buried yes but the interior wouldn't be filled. I'm sorry but that's no way to preserve Knowledge by sumerging it in sand like that. I'm sure the Spirit Owl would have some mercy on the poor professor since he's so into the knowledge and no care for the outside world.

Since Zei was the only one of the group who actually cared about knowledge for knowledge's sake, to the point of giving up his life, I think Wan did have pity on him.

If not, well, as I frequently say this scene affected me even a little more than Jet's death.

This is from the Character devlopment thread, but it definitely has to do with this episode.

I recently rewatched the second season and... by all that is holy, did they give Toph a rough time.

Katara snaps at her for not helping out(despite the fact that she takes care of her own stuff, thereby helping the group as well). Katara makes fun of her handicap.

Then Aang gets all up in her face because she actually figured something out, and basically tells her "**** off, we liked it better without you".

Then, without basis, he blames her for Appa's disappearance (quite harshly at that). Why couldn't she save him? Because she was saving Aang's sorry ***.

Frankly, Toph wasn't so much a member of the gaang or a friend as she was Aang's and Katara's emotional punching bag.

EDIT: No wonder she fell for Sokka, he was the only one to be nice to her.

I know they kinda grow out of it but still...

Heck, even her introduction episode is sketchy. She makes it very clear, she doesn't want anything to do with Aang.

To be fair, she was pretty much ignoring the topic of the war. Kinda important. Even one of her parents' first questions was how Aang was coming along in ending the war (true, it was so nonchalant it was kind of unsettling.)

Aang however forces his way into her house. That's pretty bad stuff as well.

It also made me realise how kind and tolerant Toph actually is under her gruff exterior- she suffers breach of privacy(from both Aang and Katara), gets ragged on unfairly... Heck, in some ways, she's the most mature member of the group.

I consider myself a tolerant and kind guy, but I wouldn't put up with what Toph did here.

It's true- she calls a truce with the pacifist Aang before he does in the Blind Bandit, and proceeds to confide in him about her parents (this came off as more of a backstory/plot device than anything, but still.) One thing that the fandom seems to get amnesia on is that Toph wasn't presented as a lone wolf "by choice" - she was an almost desperately lonely girl in the Blind Bandit.

"I'm twelve years old and I've never had a real friend."

Maybe this is what enabled her to put up with the above. Which just catapults her to new heights in the depth department, in my mind.

Also consider Iroh's words to her:

"I know he doesn't want me around right now, but when he needs me, I'll be there."

Replace the "he" with "Gaang" and understand the "me" as "Toph."

Wow. O_o I never really stopped to think about this. Katara's comment about the stars always stuck out to be as particularly mean-spirited and rude, but Aang's yelling at her in the desert I forgave easily.

I mean, think about what Appa is to him. He's the only "person" he has from one hundred years ago, besides Bumi. The only living connection he has to all the people he grew up with, and his life before it got iceburg'd and they were all just gone. Momo in comparison is just a tack-on hitchhiker from the current time, even though he's also from the Temples. And you saw how upset Aang was just about him.

Even I thought Katara shouldn't have been able to grasp Aang's arm when he enclosed himself in his "Airbending ball."

He was just starting to lose it. If it had escalated, if she had paused a few seconds longer, she would have been blown off her feet.

That's what makes it so powerful. ;_;
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2012 03:48 pm by Wan-Shi-Tong-Servant » Logged

An in-depth examination of ATLA. Ty Lee meets Azula's targets: complete strangers, yet their auras glow invitingly. Kataang, TyLokka, sibling!Toko http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5732344/1/What_Meets_the_Eye

Undertale fanfic:
http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=24342.msg2465903#msg246590
Qin Shi Huang
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

All Under Heaven

« Reply #320 on: Sep 08, 2012 03:43 pm »

Jet’s death wasn’t shocking, at least for me, but to think in the fact that Zei was buried down there, is a disturbing thought aswell…. :X

Specially when you stop, and think that Zei is the only one who came down there to learn something for the pure interest of knowing. Knowledge for the sake of knowledge, not a easy win or some info to cheat on the FN.
So Zei in my <always difficult to understand> point of view was the only honorable person there.

About the Beifong family: yes,its surprisingly strange that there’s a war going on and they aren’t one bit worried about it, or even rushing saying some utter nonsense as ‘’you gotta kill the Chinese emperor Fire Lord to end this war blah blah useless stuff blah blah’’
Surprisingly indeed!! Maybe that’s why I like them.

I Keep: War Minister Qin's hat - Chin the Great's shoes -

''^ Dude, if both betrayed her again, she'd end it right there and then.'' - Flipdark95
Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: