May 23, 2018 06:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crack theories  (Read 92200 times)
Lavanya Six
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1400 on: Nov 19, 2011 10:58 am »

AtLA is an extended argument by its writers advancing the position that prisons, in order to be effective in their job of jailing people, should mutilate their inmates.

Think about it. Throughout AtLA, when don't prisons have revolving doors? When Zhao captures Aang, and when Hama is imprisoned. Aang has to be bodily restrained to prevent him from using his bending -- or his 'natural talents' as it were -- to escape. Hama is the same. Zuko needs to break into Aang's prison to free him, as personal agency has been denied Aang. When Hama is unchained (and thought harmless) she concocts bloodbending over several years and escapes, proving that half-measures in containing prisoners are only temporarily effective.

On the surface, S3 especially seems like one long argument about how Aang HAS to kill Ozai because prisons just don't work: Katara and Toph escape their cell, Hama escapes hers, Iroh escapes his, and don't get me started on the Boiling Rock! That two-parter is S3's insidious messaging at its bluntest -- a sufficiently motivated person will eventually escape even the most ridiculously secure prison. Even the hi-tech coolers, designed to rob a firebend of their power for a few days, can be beaten with inside help and certain advanced bending techniques. (Hidden message: technology is no solution to the problem of crime and punishment.) The latter message seems unnecessary given that we just learned it from Hama's escape, because what is bloodbending but an advanced technique, but in fact it is here that AtLA's writers make clear their chilling agenda to foster prisoner abuse.

Both Zuko's and Hama's bending are only effective when they're not being physically restrained. And simply watching them 24/7 isn't a solution, even if you solve the problem of people breaking into the prison to free inmates (see: The Blue Spirit, Avatar Day, and the Boiling Rock). Some guard will slip up eventually, or else be co-opted by the prisoner they're supposed to be guarding; like Iroh, getting good tea snuck to him by a pretty lady he charmed. AtLA is clear, to keep someone in prison you need to permanently cripple them.

Aang knows this. What's his outwardly ludicrous plan to "gluebend" the Firelord so he can't move his arms or legs but a mild-mannered way to inform the audience that Aang, too, realizes that the only alternative to executing a prisoner is to immobilize them forever? But rather than break Ozai's spine or cut off his arms and legs, Aang uses a supernatural means of crippling the Firelord. He removes Ozai's bending, taking away a fundimental piece of the man and preventing him from ever returning to the life that he led before being imprisoned (c'mon, a Firelord that can't firebend?). What is energybending but a coded way for Aang to mutilate someone at his mercy, destroying forever the person they were before he got his hands on them?

And now you know the truth.
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2011 11:00 am by Lavanya Six » Logged
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #1401 on: Nov 19, 2011 11:04 am »

What about Suki? She had the skills and abilities to escape anytime she wants, but she chose to stay in prison (or what). She is kinda out of picture...

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Lavanya Six
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1402 on: Nov 19, 2011 11:33 am »

What about Suki? She had the skills and abilities to escape anytime she wants, but she chose to stay in prison (or what). She is kinda out of picture...

The physical skills, perhaps, but the planning ones? She needed Sokka for that.

I guess my crack theory best applies to benders rather than non-benders.
PokemonLotty
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Swag.

« Reply #1403 on: Nov 19, 2011 01:18 pm »

During the 600-Day-Siege of Ba Sing Se, Iroh hid his wife and son in the Beast's seemingly empty mansion so that they would be safe. After Iroh lost the siege, forced to surrender due to the loss of men, he went to go get his wife and son. Though upon return to the mansion all he found was a teapot and teacup and assumed his son, Lu Ten(Chip) and his wife, Mrs. Potts, dead. They had been turned into cullinary utensils, but Iroh would never know. He sunk into a grief-stricken depression and blamed his surrender of Ba Sing Se on the death of his son, whom he said was killed in combat. The Fire Nation would never unveil the truth and neither would Iroh.

This is why Iroh loves tea so much.
In case you didn't know this was based off of Disney's Beauty and the Beast.
XD
What'cha think? :p

Follow me on tumblr! Smiley
http://sub-maureen.tumblr.com/
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #1404 on: Nov 19, 2011 02:01 pm »

I guess my crack theory best applies to benders rather than non-benders.

Soooo... The Equalists of RC are just an extremist branch of the Prisonguard's Union?

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1405 on: Nov 20, 2011 04:59 pm »

AtLA is an extended argument by its writers advancing the position that prisons, in order to be effective in their job of jailing people, should mutilate their inmates.

Think about it. Throughout AtLA, when don't prisons have revolving doors? When Zhao captures Aang, and when Hama is imprisoned. Aang has to be bodily restrained to prevent him from using his bending -- or his 'natural talents' as it were -- to escape. Hama is the same. Zuko needs to break into Aang's prison to free him, as personal agency has been denied Aang. When Hama is unchained (and thought harmless) she concocts bloodbending over several years and escapes, proving that half-measures in containing prisoners are only temporarily effective.

On the surface, S3 especially seems like one long argument about how Aang HAS to kill Ozai because prisons just don't work: Katara and Toph escape their cell, Hama escapes hers, Iroh escapes his, and don't get me started on the Boiling Rock! That two-parter is S3's insidious messaging at its bluntest -- a sufficiently motivated person will eventually escape even the most ridiculously secure prison. Even the hi-tech coolers, designed to rob a firebend of their power for a few days, can be beaten with inside help and certain advanced bending techniques. (Hidden message: technology is no solution to the problem of crime and punishment.) The latter message seems unnecessary given that we just learned it from Hama's escape, because what is bloodbending but an advanced technique, but in fact it is here that AtLA's writers make clear their chilling agenda to foster prisoner abuse.

Both Zuko's and Hama's bending are only effective when they're not being physically restrained. And simply watching them 24/7 isn't a solution, even if you solve the problem of people breaking into the prison to free inmates (see: The Blue Spirit, Avatar Day, and the Boiling Rock). Some guard will slip up eventually, or else be co-opted by the prisoner they're supposed to be guarding; like Iroh, getting good tea snuck to him by a pretty lady he charmed. AtLA is clear, to keep someone in prison you need to permanently cripple them.

Aang knows this. What's his outwardly ludicrous plan to "gluebend" the Firelord so he can't move his arms or legs but a mild-mannered way to inform the audience that Aang, too, realizes that the only alternative to executing a prisoner is to immobilize them forever? But rather than break Ozai's spine or cut off his arms and legs, Aang uses a supernatural means of crippling the Firelord. He removes Ozai's bending, taking away a fundimental piece of the man and preventing him from ever returning to the life that he led before being imprisoned (c'mon, a Firelord that can't firebend?). What is energybending but a coded way for Aang to mutilate someone at his mercy, destroying forever the person they were before he got his hands on them?

And now you know the truth.

Soldier: He is too dangerous, Captain. We can't just carry him to the capital. We have to do something now.
Captain: I agree. He must be dealt with immediately and severely.

Captain: These dangerous hands must be crushed.

uplaw
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1406 on: Nov 22, 2011 11:04 pm »

My theory is that THIS KID is related to June.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
mike50333
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

'Zula's still runnin' this, fools!

« Reply #1407 on: Nov 23, 2011 01:01 am »

That,  or her biggest stalker (fans are so cliche).

Korra is Best Avatar!  You gotta Deal With It!

Quote of the month:

Quote from: Sarcastic Master
I hate that Fred came on after Korra. I actually saw a stupid second of it... A second! I will never get that second back!

T:LOK Keeps: Equalist Battle Cruiser
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #1408 on: Nov 23, 2011 02:58 am »

Pshh, June has that kind of dweeb for breakfast. With extra sugar to kill the depressing after taste. Really, Nyla doesn't even have to paralyze the kid.

keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
Noirsam
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1409 on: Jan 04, 2012 05:19 am »

In 2010 M. Night explained this in an interview. http://lastairbenderfilm.com/2010/03/15/m-night-on-zukos-mom-book-4-and-poster-signing/

ยป The world of The Last Airbender is inspired by Asian culture, much the same way The Lord of the Rings is inspired by Midieval Europe. The story of this film does not take place in our world, hence the absense of East Asian caligraphy that was prevalent in the animated series.

So the movie dont have East Asian caligraphy because his movie does not take place in our world.

With that logic the world in Avatar the animated series only write in East Asian caligraphy. So it take place in our world.

Sig made by Dorky.
Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1410 on: Jan 04, 2012 09:55 am »

I came up with a silly one after having trouble with not having a belt to keep my pants from sagging badly.

Ty Lee did not just pick the belly shirt for sex-appeal. She picked it so she didn't have to tuck her shirt back in after every acrobatic move, or for that matter prevent it from falling in her face while she is upside down during her moves.
Lightningbend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1411 on: Jan 04, 2012 03:07 pm »

ATLA never happened.

Legend of Korra, Nickelodeon's redheaded step-child.
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #1412 on: Jan 04, 2012 04:19 pm »

and then?

keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #1413 on: Jan 04, 2012 04:39 pm »

ATLA was all a dream.... Inside of a dream inside of a dream.

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am the first Jinora fan.

« Reply #1414 on: Jan 04, 2012 05:20 pm »

aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #1415 on: Jan 04, 2012 06:03 pm »

I'm glad someone got my reference.

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1416 on: Jan 04, 2012 06:46 pm »

I came up with a silly one after having trouble with not having a belt to keep my pants from sagging badly.

Ty Lee did not just pick the belly shirt for sex-appeal. She picked it so she didn't have to tuck her shirt back in after every acrobatic move, or for that matter prevent it from falling in her face while she is upside down during her moves.

Why not just wear a one-piece?

Personally, I think her tips went up 34% after she cut the middle out of her costume. She was doing some limited market testing about further exposure and projected returns when Azula showed up.

Lightningbend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1417 on: Jan 04, 2012 07:16 pm »

Legend of Korra, Nickelodeon's redheaded step-child.
Lunar_Prodigy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1418 on: Feb 08, 2018 08:22 pm »

Thread revival because I am not sure where else to put this. So if anyone here is aware of Lego Ninjago, in this instance I am referring to the show, a friend and I decided that the world of Ninjago is the avatar world many many years in the future and the world was impacted by climate change. Bending powers have changed in nature and some new forms have been branched off of the original. The first spinjitsu master is the avatar and gave the world a new start that as far as the characters of the show are aware that is how the world was created. Please ask questions; I am having too much fun creating this theory.

Keeper of Yue's "You didn't protect me" Sokka's "She's the moon, she flies by herself"
and Wan Shi Tong's understanding of the radio being "tiny men in boxes"
Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: