Oct 21, 2017 05:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate These Episodes:
10 - 133 (48.2%)
9 - 51 (18.5%)
8 - 52 (18.8%)
7 - 15 (5.4%)
6 - 9 (3.3%)
5 - 6 (2.2%)
4 - 0 (0%)
3 - 3 (1.1%)
2 - 1 (0.4%)
1 - 6 (2.2%)
Total Voters: 267

Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [101 & 102] The Boy In The Iceberg & The Avatar Returns  (Read 26499 times)
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #150 on: Oct 02, 2010 01:21 am »

Never mind, wait till tomorrow, not today.  I'll probably have it for sure then.
Shard
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

DragonRoseShard
« Reply #151 on: Oct 04, 2010 11:36 am »

You guys are correct.  It could be Aang.  Or it could be Zhao.  I'll write up the log, and you'll see.  I'll leave it up to you guys to figure it out until then.

Well if it's Zhao I don't really blame you there, if it's Aang I really think you need to give the 12 year old a break.
Toph Bei Master
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Huge Avatar:TLA Fan, love the Avatar Universe

« Reply #152 on: Oct 16, 2010 12:54 pm »

I love how they made Aang younger, it got more younger viewer and older ones because Aang is awsome I love Avatar:TLA because of that  Grin

The key to earthbending is your stance.
sandokan2112
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Sandokan is Captain Jack Sparrow's real father

« Reply #153 on: Dec 20, 2010 12:45 pm »

Aang coming out of the igloo/outhouse... "Wow! Everything freezes in there! "  lol classic

vacantlook
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #154 on: Feb 21, 2011 08:31 am »

Today is the 6th anniversary of the premier of Avatar The Last Airbender, specifically the initial broadcast of The Boy In The Iceberg and The Avatar Returns, so Happy Anniversary!! everyone!
newavatarfan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm a real legend

« Reply #155 on: Feb 21, 2011 11:46 am »

Haha I didn't know that. Happy anniversary!

Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #156 on: Mar 05, 2011 04:47 pm »

A great opening, I liked these better than the Siege of the North.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am the first Jinora fan.

« Reply #157 on: Mar 07, 2011 05:31 am »

I like these.  But Siege of the North > these.

Ubern00b
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Moar Avatar makes me happy in my smile parts!

« Reply #158 on: Apr 25, 2011 04:33 am »

Well let's see how far this goes:

Ubern00b reviews Avatar: The Last Airbender

It's tough to watch a show that's already completed its run and judge each episode on its own merits, so I make no guarantees I won't be colored by my knowledge of future plot elements.  Still, I'll try my best.  Also: no plot recap.  We all know what happens or we wouldn't be here, so I'll just focus on my opinions of events.

What really struck a chord with me regarding the show and it still carries with it today is the ambition behind it and that's made evident immediately in the shows opening sequence.  The iconic camera dolly over the mountains towards the massive Fire Nation army would be impressive in a theatrically released animated film.  Being an animator myself, it was nothing short of a miracle to see this kind of storytelling applied to animation after having to suffer through miles of crappy gag cartoons like My Gym Partner's a Monkey*.

And it just keeps getting better as I'm introduced to Katara and Sokka via the wonderful animation of Ryu Ki Hyun who does damn near half the animation of the pilot.  His distinct style is something sorely missed in later seasons as he tends to draw slightly off model, but compensates with the expressiveness in the animation creating incredible amounts of subtle characterizations.  One of the earliest examples is shown here:

During this sequence, Aang bats away at the spear twice with his hand, once to push it out of the way and the second time, he's absent mindedly swiping at open air, not once ever looking in the direction of the spear.  What difference does that make?  The gesture - though small - is a naturally occurring and understood behavior in real people indicating indifference.  The fact that Aang behaves this way towards a complete stranger wielding a lethal weapon speak volumes about his character in less than a second of animation.  Moments like these pepper the pilot and the first season in general.

With regards to writing...there's honestly not much to go on at this point.  Sokka, Katara and Aang start out pretty stock, with little time to establish themselves beyond their introductions, though special mention must be made to Sokka's moments of dry wit.  These moments are so well-executed by DeSena's delivery that it actually seems like a break from character when he acts like a standard inept comic-relief meathead during the Zuko battle.  Speaking of which...

I was really impressed with how the show introduced Zuko.  While he carries as much impatience as any other standard villain, he shows himself to be a very thoughtful one, not given to impulsive behavior.  He demands to learn more advanced fire-bending from his uncle not for the power it offers, but because he understands the avatar (as far as he knows) would be a master of all the elements and he'll need all the help he can get to hold his own.  He also openly acknowledges his defeat at the end of the pilot, inferring he understands at least the basics of learning from his mistakes...namely, admitting that he made some.

Overall, it's an impressive pilot punctuated by moments of incredibly nuanced animation and held together by great dialogue.

*To the fans of MGPaM, I just want to let you know: You're fans of a really sh*tty show.

Ep 103 review.

« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2011 01:30 am by Ubern00b » Logged

NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #159 on: Apr 25, 2011 09:11 am »

*To the fans of MGPaM, I just want to let you know: You're fans of a really sh*tty show.

I'm sure this kind of comments aren't needed to write a good review.

joinred1127
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Bryke be with us. Bryke give us strength.

« Reply #160 on: Jul 15, 2012 09:45 pm »

I just watched these episodes on NickToons Network after about two years or so of not seeing them. They were never my favourite episodes in the series, but I'll be damned if I'm not crying right now because of how beautiful and touching they are. The animation may not be Korra-level but the score is so poignant and seeing how far these character came is remarkable. I have all the feels watching the scene where Katara threatens to runaway with Aang.

EDIT: And now I'm crying again watching GranGran send off Katara and Sokka. The humour is delightful as well. This show is a gem.
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2012 09:48 pm by joinred1127 » Logged

Yue "It's my duty Sokka. I have to do this."
Azula "Because I'm a people person."
Toph's burnt feet | Ocean Kumquats
Avatar Aang Memorial Island Clock
Nonbender "You're our Avatar too!"
FN Councilwomen's Keys
Eska "It's okay. I tried to kill cousin Korra when she ruined my wedding. It happens…
Hawkflame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Don't cross the Melon Lord

« Reply #161 on: Sep 21, 2013 01:05 am »

I just watched these episodes for the first time since I first saw them originally (way back in the olden times of 2 1/2 weeks ago) and it's interesting seeing these again with the perspective of having completed the show.  There's a little bit of Early Installment Weirdness going on here- it is kind of odd seeing the penguins just called penguins and not some kind of hybrid.  Sokka's personality here seems to be something of a work in progress, as he's a bit more of a cynical wet blanket here and not as much do his trademark humor. 

But otherwise I think they did a great job of setting things up for later.  They really set up the flashback you see in The Storm later on, and they really added this great nugget of depth from Aang, which of course would be explored later on.  You even saw glimpses of Zuko's honor here, when he actually keeps his word to not harm the village in exchange for Aang.  It's clear that there's a greater personal issue here rich for exploration.

Just goes to show the creators really knew what they were doing here from the get go.
djinn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fish genetics is a very small field

« Reply #162 on: Mar 01, 2015 09:41 pm »

I feel like a rewatch and review of the series is in order. I haven't seen an ATLA episode in a few years. It may, however, devolve into me screaming at Zuko to shut up.

Lunar_Prodigy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #163 on: Mar 01, 2015 09:54 pm »

I feel like a rewatch and review of the series is in order. I haven't seen an ATLA episode in a few years. It may, however, devolve into me screaming at Zuko to shut up.

Did a rewatch with a couple friends for the 10 year anniversary. We binge watched that weekend. Had a pretty strange conversation at 2 am. Came up with some pretty messed up things. It was fun. If you have the opportunity, I recommend watching with someone that you have not watched it with before. New perspectives are always great.

Keeper of Yue's "You didn't protect me" Sokka's "She's the moon, she flies by herself"
and Wan Shi Tong's understanding of the radio being "tiny men in boxes"
Buffy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #164 on: Apr 23, 2016 09:43 pm »

Alright, I'm going to start off by saying I've only ever watched half the show. Did I stop because it was bad? Of course not! Did life get in the way? It always does... Anyway! Point is, I got halfway through Book Two and due to life didn't get around to continuing it. This was a few years ago, so now I'm ready to start at the beginning again!

I watched the first three episodes before work today, although I'll focus on episodes one and two in this thread because y'know, wanna stay on topic.

One thing I've always loved is the opening credits. I love how Katara sets the tone for the adventure we're about to go on with this show, by giving us a history of the tribes and what's been going on with the war. I also really love the way the show introduced the characters to us; Katara and Sokka the bickering siblings, and Aang the avatar who disappeared. I love that Aang is not what people expected for the avatar as far as age and knowledge are concerned, and I really love how the show dives right into the story. There's lots of serious and dramatic stuff going on with the war, Zuko's search for the avatar, etc. but the show still has it's fun, comedic tendencies like Uncle's tea addiction and Aang wanting go penguin-sledding. It's a very fine balance and it makes the show work in such a great way!

I am so excited to continue!

Hawkflame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Don't cross the Melon Lord

« Reply #165 on: Sep 05, 2016 01:06 pm »

It's kind of surreal to note that I'm rewatching these episodes now for the first time in 3 years,  and my last post from back then is just four posts ahead of this one. 

Anyway, I'm doing this rewatch as part of something for my youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFwOYvlTmRPkQ5ImT16FfOA) but instead of just parroting my thoughts from the video there I think I'll add to them.

Its funny that I note above that Sokka is a "cynical wet blanket", but upon watching it again recently, I feel like this really is a part of Sokka's personality.  Yes, its true that the humor really isn't quite there yet, but he is more of a cynic than the rest of the Gaang.  It's displayed more in other episodes like "Jet", but even right here- he's the one who calls Katara out on her decision to just leave her family to seek out the Northern Water Tribe, for instance.  He's also very much all about "being a man", which not only makes sense because he's the oldest male left in the village, but is also consistent with his characterization later on. 
Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: