Dec 15, 2019 06:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate These Episodes:
10 - 133 (48.2%)
9 - 51 (18.5%)
8 - 52 (18.8%)
7 - 15 (5.4%)
6 - 9 (3.3%)
5 - 6 (2.2%)
4 - 0 (0%)
3 - 3 (1.1%)
2 - 1 (0.4%)
1 - 6 (2.2%)
Total Voters: 267

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [101 & 102] The Boy In The Iceberg & The Avatar Returns  (Read 36824 times)
dragonofthewest
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #50 on: Jun 10, 2007 11:11 am »

If you look at the S1 Season Finale you can see that the uniforms and ships have changed substantially since the first attacks one hundred years ago. The Fire Nation would easily be able to spot that ship as being outdated and therefore suspicious.

But that might very well be part of the renovation.  People are pretty familiar with the appearance of Fire Navy ships; I'm sure a team of EK engineers could retrofit a reasonable mockup of the latest design.  Interesting idea Shizuma!

The proud keeper of: Cabbage Man's despair, Bosco's animal instincts, and Katara's kleptomania
jman1009
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Time to face your destiny...

« Reply #51 on: Jun 10, 2007 04:38 pm »

^ I never thought of that, that would give Shizuma's theory alot more credibility. A team of metalsmiths should be able to copy the latest Fire Nation design. And it wouldn't be too difficult to capture one Fire Nation ship and steal their latest uniforms. Perhaps that is what they'll do. Interesting, very interesting...

Sig by Sedai
dragonofthewest
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #52 on: Jun 10, 2007 04:41 pm »

^In fact, it might not even be necessary to steal their uniforms: some could be designed from Sokka's impeccable memory.  (I must say, for such a macho man, he has quite an eye for clothes and handbags...)   Wink

The proud keeper of: Cabbage Man's despair, Bosco's animal instincts, and Katara's kleptomania
Shizuma
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Kataang + Maiko = OT4

« Reply #53 on: Jun 10, 2007 04:44 pm »

Interesting idea Shizuma!
Thanks, but I'm afraid I can't take full credit for it. Smiley A friend of mine mentioned something offhandedly about the ship and got me to thinking: How else would they get in? They can't infiltrate the FN by flying on Appa or sailing on a WT or EK ship without getting noticed. What other options do they have, aside from getting captured on purpose and escaping once they got there, which would announce to the FN that Aang was still alive and in their country? I can't see that happening.

(I must say, for such a macho man, he has quite an eye for clothes and handbags...)
LMAO! I know right? Cheesy

dragonofthewest
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #54 on: Jun 10, 2007 04:57 pm »

Thanks, but I'm afraid I can't take full credit for it.

Still, you obviously put some thought of your own into it!   Smiley

Like I say, original idea, but I see one little problem.  First of all, they would need to bring a whole lot of EK soldiers or sumpin along with them...because the FN would get just as suspicious on seeing a warship manned by only like five somewhat diminutive sailors... Tongue  (BTW, I just had a vision of the Tophster in a FN uniform...now I'm asphyxiating with laughter  Grin)  Second, the FN must have a pretty regimented system for troop disembarkation.  If you show up at a port in a random warship, there must be some pretty thorough customs to go through.

Well...it's definitely worth further thought!

« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2007 04:59 pm by dragonofthewest » Logged

Shizuma
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Kataang + Maiko = OT4

« Reply #55 on: Jun 10, 2007 06:07 pm »

^ You're right, there are a lot of problems with it. I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure out a viable way for them to get in. Maybe the time skip between seasons will be a convenient way for them to gloss over that issue? *puzzles* No, they wouldn't do that... would they?

Tongone
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #56 on: Jul 18, 2007 04:14 pm »

These two episodes were great! They balanced eachother out. The first episodes was mostly humor. The second part was where the real action took place, and the ending saddened me, when Aang quietly said he never wanted to be the Avatar. Not to mention the animation of these episodes were great.
PlanGuy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #57 on: Jul 21, 2007 04:15 am »

I'd forgotten how well this episode set up the Aang-Katara-Sokka group dynamic and the series in general. You get a feel for the characters right away. Aang is heroic and a free spirit. Katara is an idealist who wants to save the world, and she also has a bit of a temper. Sokka is a pragmatic sarcastic guy. Zuko suffers from appearing to be a pretty generic bad guy, what with the threatening of a village full of women and children, but you can't fit everything in the first two episodes and Zuko does get more character development in the third episode.

You know, it's strange. Aang is the show's protaganist and yet we don't start off with him. Maybe we start off with the Water Tribe siblings because they are from a village at the edge of nowhere so they know around as much about the world as the audience does. They serve as good view point characters to jump into the action. Aang is a hundred years out of date but he did travel the world, so he's more worldly then Katara and Sokka.
Kumani
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Never forget who you are.

« Reply #58 on: Aug 06, 2007 09:30 pm »

first episodes!! how awesome!! it took me a while to understand what it was all about...but then i thought...this is gonna be a cool show
i loved it when aang appeared out that iceberg and sokka and katara seem to have a very beautiful relationship, but they were all finally together!
aangs waterbending at the end left me with my mouth open, those moves were amazing!!!

They’re gonna rip up your heads and your aspirations to shreds, another cog in the murder machine
Qi Chin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I keep Katara's acrobatic dancing skills \(^_^)/

« Reply #59 on: Sep 01, 2007 06:28 am »

I've only watched these episodes about a week ago (indeed, that's the first time I've ever watched Avatar). Having read up a bit on the background of the world and then main characters (mainly Aang, Katara, and Sokka), I didn't really know what to expect.
These episodes just blew me away. The intro is awesome, the music leading from the "Avatar" screen to the actual episode, and the structuring are great. It's done a heck better job of getting me hooked than the first Teen Titans episode (which wasn't even the one that got me hooked to that show). The characters are very well introduced, the music and sound effects are way above average, and the cinematography and choreography are excellent. It has lots of humor, a good amount of story, but it's full of what it needs as an intro: Exposition. After this episode, the main cast with the individual characters is clear in the viewer's head, the story has been led into and is ready to go epic.

One thing I truly liked is that they introduce characters at a good pace. There's only seven named characters, but their introductions are spread out well so that viewers don't get bogged down by them (and, for some, the unusual names).

The only bad thing to such an intro is that the bar has been set extremely high, and that bad episodes (which just happens, the writers are on a tight schedule to press out ideas, after all) seem that much worse compared to this kind of intro. While watching some bad episodes I've caught myself thinking: "Where did the quality of the first two episodes go?"

Overall, a great start to a good show, and it achieves the goals it has to: Set the tone and the setting, and get you hooked. 9.5/10.

Qi

You are entitled to your own opinions, but you aren't entitled to your own facts.

"Anything that causes you to question the preconceptions you've come to love is a good thing." - Anna Helene Feulner

"There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance." - Ali Bin Abi Thalib[
MaikoRULES
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

flameo sir, flam...e...o

« Reply #60 on: Oct 13, 2007 08:34 pm »

the episode that started so many forums about a nick show on the internet.
the episode that brought nick back to life

Ship Maiko + Kataang + Sukka + Foamzula + Smellershot!!!  Long Live Suki

"The White Lotus opens wide to those who know her secrets."

"Who knocks at the guarded gate?"
"One who has eaten the fruit and tasted its mysteries."
Katara The WaterBender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Avatar and Signature by Katarathewaterbender

« Reply #61 on: Oct 22, 2007 07:16 pm »

Well, to tell the truth, while it was a good episode, it wasn't may favorite. It did make me laugh the hardest, though! To tell the truth, I don't know why it bothered me but it did. I'll give it an eight, just to be generous.

atla1--My best friend's Avatar site
Majin_Koenma
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Proud Aang hater, Introvert and Nonshipper

« Reply #62 on: Nov 01, 2007 10:15 pm »

Well I just did a recap/review of Boy in the Iceberg on my livejournal page, and in the [process I had a few thoughts I've never had before...

-How stupid are the men of the Southern Water Tribe? They all go marching off the the Earth Kingdom leaving two teenagers in charge of the village and an army of toddlers to defend it. Why the Fire Nation didn't take out the SWT a long time ago is beyond me, but if they aere to be attacked they wouldn't stand a chance.

-Katara and Sokka's arguing in the beginning really got to me. I know that siblings argue, but that was all they did for the first five minutes of the episode. Even after they narrowly escape being crushed to death by the two ice bergs they can't stop arguing. I'm just glad things didn't stay like that for the rest of the series.

-I almost think that there were too many characters being introduced in this episode. It makes it hard for a first time viewer to keep track of them all, or to care about any of them. It would have been better if the focus would have been on Aang, Sokka and Katara this episode, and waited to introduce Zuko and Iroh until episode 2.

My full thoughts...

http://majin-koenma.livejournal.com/

President of Ba Sing Se/Tessigua master
Keeper of ...
-The Yu Yan Archer's arrows
-Sozin/Roku's crown/The Light Chakra/Master Piandao's sword
ASN's #1 Aang anti-fan
azulozai0812
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #63 on: Mar 30, 2008 07:13 am »

Good Show Starter.
I rated this 5/10.
It's nice and all but, it lacks things,namely action etc.
I like the part where Aang goes in the Avatar State and Sokka tapping Zuko's head
Zedlav
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #64 on: Mar 30, 2008 01:05 pm »

About the Booby Traps on the Fire Nation ship:

Think about it. Think of the episode [308] The Puppetmaster. The Fire Nation began raiding the South Pole when Hama was young. While she and the other waterbenders were still in numbers, they were able to take out a Fire Nation ship (we see this from the flash back). That Fire Nation ship was trapped, but it didn't stop the Fire Nation from continuing to raid the South Pole. I would assume the raiding would continue for weeks, even months until all the waterbenders were captured. During this time, the Fire Nation soldiers could have set booby traps all over the ship and if a waterbender was to trigger the trap, a flare was to alert the Fire Nation soldiers of yet another captured waterbender.

The South Pole waterbenders would eventually learn of these booby traps and would tell their young ones to stay clear away from the ship. This warning would continue down from generation to generation and eventually just become second nature not to adventure near it.
karatekid34
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

avatar made by katarathewaterbender

« Reply #65 on: Mar 30, 2008 08:28 pm »

I liked this as a show opener. It is so cool. It had the character introduced greatly. The only weird thing is I noticed how much the animation really changed. You can really see it when in episode 103 Aang and Sokka is talking in the way to the air temple. But back to the intro. I love how Katara says at the very start what has happened.

This was a 9 out of 10. Smiley

Sign is GuitarFreak's..thanks for letting me us it Smiley
Zombie
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Still Shambling

« Reply #66 on: Apr 15, 2008 10:59 pm »

Both of these episodes were excellent, although the first was perhaps a little too low key. The fight between Zuko and Aang on the Fire Navy ship in the second episode was superb. The back and forth nature of the fight really made it more satisfying as neither opponent had a clear advantage. Having Zuko win the fight by kicking Aang over the side of the ship definitely helped establish him as a credible threat (even though Aang then kicked his ass using the Avatar state).

One of the only parts that I had a problem with was the comic relief way they handled Sokka and Zuko's fight. They have this big build up with badass music showing them both getting ready for war, dead serious, then they destroy all that atmosphere by having Sokka be both totally incompetent, and getting stuck upside down in a snow drift with his legs flailing in the air. Even worse was the part where Zuko's helm landed on his ass after Aang bowled him over.
I know comedy is a big part of the show's appeal, but I don't think that it was appropriate at what should have been a tense initial confrontation between the heroes and the Fire Nation.

The only other thing that bothered me was that all of the mothers came outside with their children when the Fire Nation troops landed. What? That's just ridiculous, most mothers would be trying to keep their children as far away from the invading soldiers as possible, yet they didn't even head indoors when Zuko started throwing fire around.

Still, 8 out of 10.

av by Fire_Princess sig by Shootingstar
Art of the Living Dead
AangGang1192
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #67 on: Apr 15, 2008 11:47 pm »

Yay! The first two episodes! I remember watching these when Nick first aired them. Ah, yes, I liked Avatar even back then. I love both episodes dearly. Grin

10/10
Robotech_Master
No Post Report
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

5477383 robomastr robotech_master_2000
« Reply #68 on: Apr 24, 2008 11:15 am »

I expect it to be standard Fire Navy policy to booby-trap their ships if they have to abandon them—especially if they have to abandon them in a hurry, leaving behind so many weapons and other war materiel that could be used against them. At the time they were raiding, they were trying to capture water benders, so the trap would notify other fire raider ships in the area (if there were any) that a bender (or at least water tribesperson of some stripe) had been captured.

There's precedent for it in other anime. For instance, in the first episode of Macross/Robotech, the crashed starship has a boobytrap in it to make it fire on the Zentraedi when they first show up. It's not a far stretch of the imagination.
Tails
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2008 06:22 pm »

Wow, I just saw this episode again. I cant beleve how high-piched aangs voice used to be

iKeep Ty Lee's Voice, Chopsticks, Beach bag, and cushion from 305
iShip Ty Lokka, and Zutara
amore2431
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

purple may be dead but its still my favorite color

« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2008 11:17 pm »

^ its so funny to see how his voice has changed throughout the show.

i loved this episode mostly because it had penguins because i loved the way the story was introduced.

avvie and sigg by doomsday
keep:azula's silver wings, roku's have a cookie, Ozai's rise and shine. my art
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

av by nonamk, resized by me.

« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2008 07:09 pm »

This is one of my favorite eps.  This is when Katara and Sokka find out that she has Waterbending abilities.

It was awesome how they discover Aang and Appa inside the iceberg.  And when he opens his eyes after 100 years, the first thing he sees is Katara's pretty eyes looking at him!  Then when Appa sneezes.... OMG, it was so funny!

ULG,KLF

Sig by me. Brushes by Stephanie. my dA
I keep Kakashi's Anbu mask. Kakashi's sword & sweet lips.
Qi Chin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I keep Katara's acrobatic dancing skills \(^_^)/

« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2008 04:05 am »

This is one of my favorite eps.  This is when Katara and Sokka find out that she has Waterbending abilities.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that they were well aware of Katara's waterbending well before this episode already.

You are entitled to your own opinions, but you aren't entitled to your own facts.

"Anything that causes you to question the preconceptions you've come to love is a good thing." - Anna Helene Feulner

"There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance." - Ali Bin Abi Thalib[
mitsuki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

OYAKATAA-SAMA!!

« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2008 12:06 am »

Wow, I just saw this episode again. I cant beleve how high-piched aangs voice used to be

Haha, Aang's voice has aged 3 years in the period of a few months.
Malia
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'd rather eat garbage lettuce than a dead body.

« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2008 02:00 am »

Haha, Aang's voice has aged 3 years in the period of a few months.

Zach was originally eleven years old. He's fourteen now. Puberty ages. Tongue

you're the greatest Avatard I know.

^ -tearbend- <3
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: