Mar 24, 2017 01:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate These Episodes:
10 - 132 (48%)
9 - 51 (18.5%)
8 - 52 (18.9%)
7 - 15 (5.5%)
6 - 9 (3.3%)
5 - 6 (2.2%)
4 - 0 (0%)
3 - 3 (1.1%)
2 - 1 (0.4%)
1 - 6 (2.2%)
Total Voters: 266

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [101 & 102] The Boy In The Iceberg & The Avatar Returns  (Read 25705 times)
Simon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Chibi Jet

« Reply #125 on: Aug 13, 2010 07:56 pm »

Great pilot(s). It had a lot of wow-funny moments.
Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #126 on: Aug 13, 2010 11:35 pm »

101 and 102 aren't actually the pilot(s).

my Last Airbender comics
keeper of: Koh's creepy voice, his laugh, and his three minutes of screen-time.
iamaang92
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #127 on: Aug 14, 2010 12:16 am »

These were the episodes that got me interested. I still remember 12 year old me sitting on the couch watching Aang penguin sledding and exploring the ship. Excuse me, I think I need to go get a tissue, that feels like so long ago

LOK and Makorra are great
Keeper of Tho's "No wonder you left", Aang's "It's a compliment!", Katara's "Sugar Queen?" and Ozai's "I have all the power in the world!"
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #128 on: Aug 28, 2010 09:03 am »

Go, Fly, Soar

(comforting message from Katara to Appa)

Up, ascend, elevate

What was it that kid said? Wahoo, yahoo, yip yip?

WHOOSH

I lold
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #129 on: Aug 31, 2010 09:49 pm »

Hey guys...

First off, I found the intro pretty neat. It just told us the basic plot, introduced two main characters, then just went straight to the show. I just thought that was really neat, to not have to sit through a long montage before the actual show starts.

I liked how the show just introduced the concept of Water Bending just through Sokka and Katara bickering, and Sokka freaking out every time Katara doesn't manipulate the water quite right or anything like that (not that he doesn't deserve it. Based on his attitude towards the ladies, he's going to be having a rather painful journey if the women on this show are as awesome and tough as the ones I've seen in the few episodes I've already seen).

My first question comes up shortly after this however, when Katara and Sokka get swept up in some dangerous currents and end up getting their raft destroyed. It made me wonder why they bothered fishing in such a dangerous area to begin with. But then, I guess that would be like asking how Katara and Sokka manage to hop across platforms of ice without any difficulty on their way to Aang's iceberg. Speaking of dangerous...

Look's like Zucco's in the house, and he now realizes what this means! But, just when his search is about to come to an end, he's immediately shot down by what seems like a rather...patronizing fashion by his uncle. Zucco immediately shows a rather ugly side to his nature with his raging temper, but then, I think I'd be pretty insulted to if my own uncle responded to me accomplishing my lifelong dream by basically telling me to SHUT UP AND DRINK YOUR ******* TEA!

Aang gets defrosted, and it's here that I think the dialouge might've gotten a little hokey, just for a brief instance. For one thing, Aang seems surprisingly chipper and ready to have fun despite that it's shown through flashback that he almost drowned right before freezing himself in that iceberg, just 5 minutes later. I dunno, it just seems like the show was a little too quick to show his goofy and eccentric side, when it seemed like he should've had at least some kind of short, normal conversation before sneezing himself 25 feet in the air and introducing us all to his flying animal.

But that's all water under the bridge. It's only for an instance anyways, and it helps that Sokka's delightful commentary makes for some entertaining scenes.

Flash back to Zucco, a rather shocking sequence as Zucco's mentor outright tells him that his whole mission is pointless and stupid, not something that's going to sit well with Zucco considering that his honor now hinges on being able to capture the Avatar. But surprisingly enough, he actually keeps his cool this time. Maybe he just appreciates his mentor's honesty, or maybe he's so desperate that it's cooled his anger. Makes sense, considering that his honor now hinges on him capturing the most powerful figure in the world...or maybe he's just being the typical meathead who thinks all of life revolves around looking good to your fellow warriors.

Still, you have to wonder why his mentor even bothered to come if he thought this whole thing was pointless. It just makes him look bad, the way he's practically insulting Zucco for trying hard to accomplish something big.

The next few minutes go by, without really much to commentate on. Except for one line of dialouge I found rather...interesting.

"Katara: I can sense that he is full of much wisdom!"

I probably wouldn't have found this line worth mentioning, except that it reminded me of one particular episode of Avatar that I really didn't like too much at all. I'm not going to spoil anything, but both Sokka and Aang just looked like complete douches in that episode, to the point
where I actually started to wonder if the writers were knowingly making them act out of character in order to advance the plot. I won't say much more than that though. Heck, I don't even remember it that well, so I could be remembering wrong. Who knows?

Another scene with Zucco and his mentor, and by now, I'm kind of confused by the dynamics of their relationship. Who exactly is wearing the pants here? Zucco tries to force his uncle to "teach him the advanced set", and at first, it seems like his mentor is the one who has to submit. But then his mentor fires back by forcing Zucco to wait as he finishes his lunch, almost like he's daring Zucco to make him, and Zucco's only response is to get this shocked expression on his face. It's like Zucco relied so much on bullying to get him somewhere, that he doesn't have any clue on how to respond when it doesn't work. One thing's for sure, they make for interesting interactions.

By the way, I find it interesting to note that, according to his mentor, Zucco hasn't even mastered the basics of the basics of firebending yet, because in the next episode, Zucco's going to say something that's going to make him look incredibly stupid when you remember was his mentor said about his performance here.  However, that's going to wait.  I want to see how people respond first.

Again, the rest of the episode passes by without much to comment on (except that I'm starting to suspect that Aang might have a slight case of ADD). However, I really loved the ending to this episode, where we see Aang and Katara escaping the ship from the perspective of a telescope, and we get a close up of Zucco's eyes, which I thought was an effective way of ending the episode.
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #130 on: Aug 31, 2010 09:51 pm »

Episode 2 starts off, and it's actually really good here.  The parting of Aang and Katara was pretty sad, especially with Katara's frustration here, and we even revealed that Sokka's actions are driven by a promise he made to his Dad.  Good stuff.

However, once Zuko's band arrives, I find it immediately offputting that Sokka is the only one who did anything to prepare for their arrival.  I know that the women and children probably didn't have any combat training, but is it really too much to ask that they at least gather slings, or spears, or at least do SOMETHING other than stand there helplessly, and watch Sokka be completely useless against Zuko?  It's not a plothole, as some people really are that helpless, but it's a darn shame is what it is.

I mean, don't get me wrong, Sokka didn't handle it perfectly.  If I were him, I wouldn't have just immediately bull charged Zuko, especially when I know he has range advantage.  I would've just stared him down, and made it clear that I didn't want or wish for any trouble, but if he starts making even the slightest sign of trouble, he's going down.

Their complete helplesness comes to a fever pitch though, when Aang zooms in, kicks butt, and is doing really well until he ends up almost hurting some of the villagers by redirecting Zuko's fire at them (I'm surprised Aang's able to do that at all actually).  One would think that the villagers would, I dunno, actually back off a bit and give Aang room to fight Zuko without hurting them, but instead, they stand their frozen with fear, to the point where Aang is literally forced to let himself be captured so that the villager's don't burn to death because of their fight.

Boy, if I have to rely on anyone in a fight, I'm certainly not relying on anyone from this village, besides Sokka and MAYBE Katara.  Speaking of counting on capable warriors, it is here that Zuko says that awesome line that makes him sound so incredibly stupid...

"Zuko: I've spent years preparing for this encounter. Training, meditating, and you're just a child!"

I'm sorry, I just find it really funny that he's apparently spent years training for this very moment, and yet, according to his mentor, he still hasn't even mastered the basics of firebending yet, despite all of this training he's done.  It makes him sound like he had some sort of learning disability or something.  Either way, the show isn't exactly painting a very intimidating image of him so far.  Even more interesting to note, if this is really supposed to be some kind of Avatar conquering team, why does Zuko only seem to have 7 other men with him? 

It's like the Emperor had an incompetent bunch of ninnies, and didn't know how else to get them out of his hair than send them off somehwere, on the small chance that the Avatar might still be alive despite him doing nothing for 100 years.  It would certainly explain the Mentor's attitude.  He'd be old and experienced enough to recognize what the Emperor ordered them to do as an insult after all. 

Then, just to complete this image, Aang goes on to school everyone on the boat with his hands tied behind his back...literally.  No, seriously, he takes them all out with only his feet availble to him.  It was just hysterical to me how he just makes complete fools out of every villain that's been introduced so far.

Then he gets to Zuko to get his staff back, and it's here that I'm starting to think that Aang's kind of new at this whole "fighting for you life thing".  There were a lot of little things Aang did that made the fight so much harder than it should've been.  For one thing, there are multiple instances where after dodging an attack, he'd just freeze in place and breath really, not even attempting to do anything but wait until Zuko went on the offensive again.  Rather than actually attacking, he just spent almost the entire fight just running and flying around, trying to dodge Zuko's attacks and getting hurt because of it. 

There was even one moment where he was right behind Zuko, in the perfect position to lay the hurting on him, and he still did nothing but defend.  Listen, I know that Aang's 12 and probably hasn't packed on the muscle to be as physically strong as Zuko, but he still at least knows martial arts.  You could tell that by how he moved.  And in all that time he was behind him, he could've grabbed his head or that stupid looking ponytail of his and kneed him in the back, he could've gotten him in some kind of choke, he could've kicked him in the balls, he could've tackled him to the ground, anything but just continuing to dance around like he did.

Then, the fight finally comes to a head when Aang finally gets his staff, the two face off...and Aang immediately smacks him into a wall and launches him into the ceiling.

After that, I couldn't help but think "Wow, that was quick".

But, after that, as Aang tries to escape, Zuko actually manages to impress me here.  Apparently, he's immediately recovered from his smackdown, and catches Aang right as he tries to fly away.

Well, if nothing else, Zuko can definetly take a hit pretty well.  I don't think I would've recovered that quickly had I been launched into the ceiling.

His friends arrive, Aang takes his eyes off Zuko to look at his friends, and immediately learns the hard way that you should NEVER take your eyes off of your opponents, as he is immediately blasted with so much fire, that his staff is eventually spun out of his hand, and he gets sent into the ocean by a one two punch of fire.

But then, Aang's eyes glow blue, he starts going Super Saiyan (I'm calling that because I'm not supposed to know that it's called the "Avatar State" yet), and from there, I don't think there's much point in commentating on anything else, other than that the bad guys make themselves look even WORSE than they already did by getting owned by Katara, a girl who has never been in a single fight in her entire life (that I know of), and has barely even begun to perfect her water bending. 

When you're supposed to be an experienced adult warrior, you've got two other guys backing you up, and yet, you still get owned by a 14 year old girl who doesn't even have full control over her powers yet, I think it's time to consider getting a different career.  But that's just me.

Oh, and I found it pretty cool when Aang deflects the combined blasts of both Zuko and his Mentor (yes, he finally gets off his butt at some point in this episode).  The three ride off into the sunset, and despite a rather depressing conversation about how Aang never wanted to be the Avatar, he still manages to make me smile by showing his goofiness again.  Apparently, he's not quite done with riding animals yet.

And that's the first two episodes.  What did I think?  Well, I liked it a lot.  I thought Sokka and Katara were both characterized well, and I thought the episodes did a good job of explaining why the character's are all doing what they're doing, without getting bogged down in explanations like some other shows do. However, my favorite parts of both of these episodes was how entertaining the interactions were between the characters, especially Sokka and Katara, and Zuko and his Mentor.  I like Zuko as a villain as well, because even though he and his gang aren't really that great in terms of actual competence (no, I'm still not of letting the fact that he hasn't even mastered the basics despite all his training go), his drive and tenacity still make him seem threatening all the same.  I just find him interesting I guess.

I loved the artwork and the fights to.  The fights were stunning and flowed very quickly.  Speaking of fights, don't be fooled by the way I nitpicked at Aang's actions during his fights with Zuko.  I don't expect him to be any Bruce Lee or anything, the guy IS only 12 after all, and new to all of this.  I like that he's got a few rough edges actually.  Makes it seem more realistic.

So, yeah, I actually liked them quite a bit, despite my nitpicking here and there.  There are also some other things I could nitpick at if I REALLY wanted to, but, it's nothing that I actually care about much anyways.

I don't judge pilot episodes very harshly, as it's pretty much inevitably going to be the weakest episodes by design, just because of course the writer hasn't quite figure out all the ins and outs of everything their doing.  So, I give the pilots an A because despite this being the writers very first shot at this, the characters were characterized well, they were entertaining, the animation was remarkably fluid, the voices sounded so good, you'd never know that this was their very first time voicing the characters, lots of stuff that come out like they were refined instead of unpolished, like the usual pilot.

Now, don't be mistaken.  I won't be giving out A's anywhere near as easily from here on out, as after the pilots, that's when the show is supposed to start settling in and be written in a comfortable style, because it's figured out everyhting that would give it trouble in writing a Pilot.
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #131 on: Sep 15, 2010 06:00 am »

It's like the Emperor had an incompetent bunch of ninnies, and didn't know how else to get them out of his hair than send them off somehwere, on the small chance that the Avatar might still be alive despite him doing nothing for 100 years.  It would certainly explain the Mentor's attitude.  He'd be old and experienced enough to recognize what the Emperor ordered them to do as an insult after all.
You have good instincts. Grin  I know you've seen enough of the show by now, so I can tell you that you've seen damn right here.

Then he gets to Zuko to get his staff back, and it's here that I'm starting to think that Aang's kind of new at this whole "fighting for you life thing".  There were a lot of little things Aang did that made the fight so much harder than it should've been.  For one thing, there are multiple instances where after dodging an attack, he'd just freeze in place and breath really, not even attempting to do anything but wait until Zuko went on the offensive again.  Rather than actually attacking, he just spent almost the entire fight just running and flying around, trying to dodge Zuko's attacks and getting hurt because of it. 

There was even one moment where he was right behind Zuko, in the perfect position to lay the hurting on him, and he still did nothing but defend.  Listen, I know that Aang's 12 and probably hasn't packed on the muscle to be as physically strong as Zuko, but he still at least knows martial arts.  You could tell that by how he moved.  And in all that time he was behind him, he could've grabbed his head or that stupid looking ponytail of his and kneed him in the back, he could've gotten him in some kind of choke, he could've kicked him in the balls, he could've tackled him to the ground, anything but just continuing to dance around like he did.
That's airbending style for you. Avoid and evade.

Then, the fight finally comes to a head when Aang finally gets his staff, the two face off...and Aang immediately smacks him into a wall and launches him into the ceiling.

After that, I couldn't help but think "Wow, that was quick".
I think even Aang was getting a bit bored with it there. Grin

But, after that, as Aang tries to escape, Zuko actually manages to impress me here.  Apparently, he's immediately recovered from his smackdown, and catches Aang right as he tries to fly away.

Well, if nothing else, Zuko can definetly take a hit pretty well.  I don't think I would've recovered that quickly had I been launched into the ceiling.
Another good catch. Our FN prince is indeed very durable.

Needs it, too.

When you're supposed to be an experienced adult warrior, you've got two other guys backing you up, and yet, you still get owned by a 14 year old girl who doesn't even have full control over her powers yet, I think it's time to consider getting a different career.  But that's just me.
Remember what you said about the Emperor and his incompetent bunch of ninnies? I'm not even sure a career change is up to them.

Daenerys
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #132 on: Sep 20, 2010 10:13 am »

Ep.2 was one episode where I actually laughed at. I mean, not merely "smiled", but "laughed". Yeah, I really like Zuko, but when I saw him doing his firebending thing, threatening all that poor oldies and children, beating Sokka and... in the end... the boomerang returns and shocks his head... I could not avoid a loud laugh. Poor fellow! A very courageous act by Sokka, by the way.

Keeper of Azula´s "Almost isn´t good enough".
Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #133 on: Sep 28, 2010 01:42 am »

A very courageous act by Sokka, by the way.

Courageous with a hint of impulsiveness.

He definitely wasn't "the idea guy" that thinks things through in that moment.

my Last Airbender comics
Daenerys
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #134 on: Sep 30, 2010 01:39 pm »

Poor Sokka! Smiley It was his duty. Or what would he do? Say "excuse me, fire gentlemen, you can take the Avatar with you and leave us alone? And what about keeping our taxes too?"

NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #135 on: Sep 30, 2010 01:50 pm »

^ What avatar? It's just a silly kid with a weird animal.

And what taxes?

Daenerys
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #136 on: Oct 01, 2010 02:03 am »

Oh, well, what kind of empire doesn´t take taxes? Wink

Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #137 on: Oct 01, 2010 02:12 am »

Poor Sokka! Smiley It was his duty. Or what would he do? Say "excuse me, fire gentlemen, you can take the Avatar with you and leave us alone? And what about keeping our taxes too?"

Getting himself killed wouldn't really help the village either.

my Last Airbender comics
Daenerys
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #138 on: Oct 01, 2010 02:23 am »

He is a warrior and he reacts as a warrior. Exactly like his father (whose decision was, perhaps,  questionable). Both knew there were no chance of win, but they fought anyway. This is courage.

NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #139 on: Oct 01, 2010 05:45 am »

^ And stupidity.

What's the point of throwing your life away in war when your family depends on you? Choosing a warrior's death over swallowing your pride for the sake of those around you is the decision of an egoist. He wanted to make a stand and didn't even think about what would happen to the village afterwards.

Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #140 on: Oct 01, 2010 09:31 am »

Well, to be fair, he was only 15 years old.  I mean, Sokka's acted dumb a good deal of times, but, it's kind of excused by the fact that he hasn't really had any great male figures in his life to teach him wisdom since he was a child.  There's just something a child lacks when they're deprived of that, and he HAS been improving slightly over the course of the cartoon. 
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #141 on: Oct 01, 2010 09:43 am »

^ True.

But I was also talking about Hakoda. I can understand that he wanted to do his part in saving the world or whatever, but to take all the men away and leave the village alone (on the freaking coast, no less. At least go a bit further into the land where the ships can't reach) to be protected by his 13-year old son? Hello?

Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #142 on: Oct 01, 2010 11:48 am »

Wait, so their dad DID just take all the warriors with him without leaving anyone to defend the village?!?  That's something I was gonna call him out on in Episode 15, but then I just assumed that they left some soldiers to act as bodyguards, and those bodyguards just slowly got picked off by Fire Nation raids (there's a reason there was a Fire Nation ship abandoned after all).

Oh well, that's alright.  I'm gonna have my plate full in Episode 16 anyways when it comes to idiocy.  There's a certain someone in that Episode who I have absolutely no faith in now, despite what most people up to this point have tried to tell me.

I'll let you guess who it is.

SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #143 on: Oct 01, 2010 11:58 am »

(there's a reason there was a Fire Nation ship abandoned after all).

Katara says in episode 101:

Katara: This ship has haunted my tribe since Gran Gran was a little girl. It was part of the Fire Nation's first attacks.

That ship predates Hakoda leaving with the rest of the men by many, many decades. In fact, Hakoda wasn't even born yet when it happened.

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #144 on: Oct 01, 2010 12:23 pm »

Wait, so their dad DID just take all the warriors with him without leaving anyone to defend the village?!?  That's something I was gonna call him out on in Episode 15, but then I just assumed that they left some soldiers to act as bodyguards, and those bodyguards just slowly got picked off by Fire Nation raids (there's a reason there was a Fire Nation ship abandoned after all).
So yeah, he did.

I'm still wondering how the village even managed to get food. Those women didn't look like hunters, and given Sokka's attemps at fishing, they weren't exactly specialized in that, either.

Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #145 on: Oct 01, 2010 01:58 pm »

I'm still wondering how the village even managed to get food. Those women didn't look like hunters, and given Sokka's attemps at fishing, they weren't exactly specialized in that, either.

The Dharma Initiative dropped off food crates every once and a while. Wink

my Last Airbender comics
Celestine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Reign of stars.

« Reply #146 on: Oct 01, 2010 03:56 pm »

Oh well, that's alright.  I'm gonna have my plate full in Episode 16 anyways when it comes to idiocy.  There's a certain someone in that Episode who I have absolutely no faith in now, despite what most people up to this point have tried to tell me.

I'll let you guess who it is.

Actually, taking the warriors away from the village would divert Fire Nation attention away from it. The Fire Nation's goal is to conquer and enslave. It does them little good to kill everyone they find. Without the warriors there, there'll be no need to raid the village anymore. And anyway, it's not like the Fire Nation has an endless supply of manpower. They're fighting a real war in the Earth Kingdom and the women and children in the village are not a military threat. Attacking them when no one's around to protect them would be a waste of time.

Also, the only person I could imagine you losing faith in around there would be Aang.  Undecided

Perception is everything.

Keeper of Iroh's past mistakes and Katara's laughter.

Sig by The_Elite.
Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #147 on: Oct 01, 2010 04:01 pm »

Also, the only person I could imagine you losing faith in around there would be Aang.  Undecided

I think he's talking about Zhao.

my Last Airbender comics
Celestine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Reign of stars.

« Reply #148 on: Oct 01, 2010 04:02 pm »

I think he's talking about Zhao.

Exactly how had Zhao changed by that point to affect anyone's faith in him?  Tongue

Perception is everything.

Keeper of Iroh's past mistakes and Katara's laughter.

Sig by The_Elite.
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #149 on: Oct 01, 2010 05:15 pm »

You guys are correct.  It could be Aang.  Or it could be Zhao.  I'll write up the log, and you'll see.  I'll leave it up to you guys to figure it out until then.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: