Nov 22, 2019 03:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate These Episodes:
10 - 133 (48.2%)
9 - 51 (18.5%)
8 - 52 (18.8%)
7 - 15 (5.4%)
6 - 9 (3.3%)
5 - 6 (2.2%)
4 - 0 (0%)
3 - 3 (1.1%)
2 - 1 (0.4%)
1 - 6 (2.2%)
Total Voters: 267

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [101 & 102] The Boy In The Iceberg & The Avatar Returns  (Read 35914 times)
-Ursa-
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Change is in the nature of fire...

« Reply #100 on: Sep 11, 2008 09:06 am »

I like Sokka in this episode. He's always fun. sorry he has no fighting ability here.

I also like Iroh! as he always do: he's playing Pai Sho and giving advices.

Also Aang hides that he is the Avatar! When Katara and Sokka find out he replies:"I never wanted to be." Oh, I just love that sentence!!! 
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2008 09:15 am by -Ursa- » Logged

Listen to the fire. It sings many songs. Every night it tells us the secrets hiding in the shadows.
Keeper of; Ursa's secrets.
Gye Byrd
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #101 on: Sep 18, 2008 05:26 pm »

Whooee, my first episode review! Or rather, I'm reviewing two episodes at once. Well, one of them happens to be the first episode and it's also the first time I'm reviewing an episode. I figure making a review for each episode will be my first contribution to the community.

This episode sets up the premises of the war perfectly by using the intro and putting it in a narrator-type way. Katara really has a way with words. I knew right away the first time I saw this episode that Avatar was something I would be interested in from the get-go. Water, earth, fire, air... Shoot, for some reason I have to say, "Earth! Fire! Wind! Water! Heart! Go, Planet!" Anybody else here think it's strange that the order of the powers on Captain Planet is essentially the same as the order of the Avatar reincarnation cycle? Coincidence? Who knows. Maybe I should stop reminiscing Captain Planet...

That part where Katara unloads her fury on Sokka made me sad. I have an older brother and sister, but I never ever fight with them. Maybe that's because whenever we do I just let them win and let it be over with. There's no need to win. It doesn't prove anything.

Anyway, at the end of her rant Katara summons her future boyfriend from the depths of the sea, and then comes my favorite part.

Zuko: Finally! Uncle, do you realize what this means?
Iroh: I won't get to finish my game?
Zuko: It means my search, it's about to come to an end.
Iroh: *sigh*
Zuko: That light came from an incredibly powerful source! It has to be him!

Right when Zuko said that, it sounded like such cheesy voice acting, like he was trying extra hard to enunciate every word, kinda like those old dubbed-over Chinese kung fu films. Every time I think about it it puts a smile on my face. I feel like if I ever meet Dante Basco I just have to bug him about that one line because he does a terrific job everywhere else.

Iroh rules. He may be old and fat, but he's still somebody you don't wanna cross.

That scene where Aang kept staring at Katara and smiling was great. You could just tell he was thinking, "Oh, she's so pretty with her hair loopies, and her blue eyes..."

Alright, let's jump ahead to the Aang harassing penguins scene. I thought it was cute when Katara taught Aang how to catch a penguin. It looked like the penguins wanted to eat him, like in those cheesy zombie films. All you gotta do is replace his laughs with screams of pain and death. For a while I was baffled as to where Katara got her fish from. It seemed like she pulled it outta nowhere. After watching that scene again I saw her pull that fish outta her pockets. Why does Katara keep fish in her pockets? Cheesy I wonder what smells worse: her pockets or Sokka's dirty socks?

Oh dear, Aang and Katara did a bad thing, going on that ship. Still, there was a cute scene where the bright side of Aang's disappearance for a hundred years was meeting Katara. I just had to go, "Aww, how nice."

Why'd Sokka have to banish Aang? It still resulted in a beautiful scene, though. Katara cares enough about a person she's only known for a day to defend him from the wrath of her family, even to the point of abandoning them. Even then, Aang had enough compassion to not want to come in between Katara and her family.

Appa: Roar...
Aang: I know. I liked her, too.

Oh Aang, you will like her more than you can imagine. However, your love life will be a tough one, just like my pathetic love life. At least you'll be happy in the end.

That part when Zuko's ship comes crashing into the village was made epic by Sokka thinking he can stop that massive thing with his club. He's probably all like, "Yeah, I'm so big and strong. I'm gonna knock it back to the Fire Nation." I liked when Sokka charged Zuko with a spear, then Zuko takes it from him and pokes Sokka in the head repeatedly with it. Then, outta nowhere, Boomerang comes and knocks Zuko in the back of the head as payback. Just when it looks like it's the end for Sokka Aang comes in and saves his buttocks, only to surrender to the will of Zuko. Wonder why those guards just stood around while Zuko fought Aang? It was so sad when Katara teared up at the sight of Aang's capture.

Ooh, here comes another good part. When they're on the ship and Zuko disses Aang by saying he wouldn't know what it's like to have a father, being raised by monks, that just had to sting. That was hilarious when Zuko tells Iroh to bring Aang's staff to his quarters only to have another soldier do it, when in the end Zuko was already going to his own quarters. How lazy is that? Sounds just like me when I do my physics homework.

I love when Aang escapes and bumps into Iroh's room and says, "Sorry," all quietly with his lips sticking through the gap in the door. That fight scene with Zuko was also awesome. So many traditional martial arts elements in the fight that you don't get to see anymore in Book 2 & 3. Actually, I like the more dynamic fights in Book 2 & 3 better anyway. The best part of that fight was that moment just before Aang makes an air scooter, when he outright puts his foot in Zuko's face and pushes off. It wasn't even a kick! He just pushes Zuko's face away with his foot. In Cambodian culture it's a great act of disrespect to even put your foot near somebody else's face, so it affects me a lot when I see that. I always have to pause it and watch it in slow motion every time I get to that part. I keep thinking in my head:

Aang: Haha, I disrespect you!
Zuko: ... that hurt my feelings... :'( Now I really have to capture you!

Sokka finally got some proper payback when he fetched Aang's staff. Gotta poke Zuko in the head while playing a springy sound effect. Fear the Water Tribe! Also, as if Sokka's life wasn't hard enough already, he had to get frozen in place by Katara's lack of bending skill.

Now they finally get away, but alas, a huge fireball is hurdling towards them! Aang and Sokka watch it come while Katara looks off to the side for some odd reason. Death is moments away and she's just looking at the glacier off to the side? You'd think if she didn't wanna see it she'd close her eyes outta fear, but no, she has to watch it with her peripheral vision.

Oh yeah, that was a long review. Had to fit two episodes in one post. It was an awesome two episodes. The pacing was perfect. It wasn't rushed like Star Wars: KOTOR2 and it wasn't slow like Final Fantasy VIII. It was easy to follow what was happening and it leaves you wanting more. The comedic moments were good enough, but I also had a good moment from that Aang-pushing-Zuko's-face-with-his-foot deal. I'm probably the only one who likes that part. The action balanced out the comedy well, too, as in you don't forget the action or the comedy. One didn't overshadow the other. That's quite a feat. I also noticed quite a few new things because of this review, like the fish in Katara's pocket. Hopefully, I'll notice some other interesting things in the other episodes.

I give this episode a 10.
zukotea
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

i love zuko more than i fear you

« Reply #102 on: Sep 18, 2008 08:04 pm »

I remeber seeing this Sokka made me Laugh a lot!
I justed watched it Yesterday!

♡iKEEP:Zuko's take off shirt scene in 305, Sokka's Love for Shopping, Katara's Hope, Aang & Zuko's Hug, General Iroh's Voice and Zuko's dragon
Violet Vespertine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #103 on: Oct 21, 2008 08:42 pm »

I just rewatched these episodes the other night. 

I found Zuko's comment to Aang about fathers interesting.  "You know nothing of father's being raised by monks".  Actually, Zuko, Aang had more fatherly love and guidance as a young boy than you did.  Poor Zuko was hell bent on pleasing Ozai.

Sokka's chauvenism, though so wrong, is quite funny.  Boy is he going to learn about strong women. Grin  Sokka's attempt to protect the village, while done humourously, was very poignant.  He takes his responsibilities very seriously. 

Zuko's crazy determination also comes shining through in these episodes.

ld80061
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #104 on: Apr 20, 2009 08:05 am »

I just want to point out how moving the "Because I never wanted to be" sequence, near the end of the second episode.  The music and the cinematography was deeply moving.

And I like the three rolls at the back of the saddle - making the Airbender symbol!
Fleur du Feu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Avi by EndlessFlame55 resized by puddlesandmistake

« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2009 10:05 pm »

I just rewatched these episodes the other night. It's been a while since I saw anything from early season one. I had forgotten how much I LOVE these episodes. So well done, such a great start to the show...

Keeps "Ikkirupter",  Mako's moxie, Jinora and Ikki's on-board shipping & Korra's doorbusting definition of 'cautious'. Proud Maiko, Kataang, and Sukka shiper. Sig is by PonDeReplay
facestealer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The Premature Senioritis Sufferer

« Reply #106 on: Jul 01, 2009 10:06 am »

Wow... just watched it and realized that Sokka's a real douche to Aang at the beginning. And the music in these episodes is some of the best in the show (possibly second to the finale). But the best exchange is at the end:

Katara: Why didn't you tell us you were the Avatar?
Aang: Because I never wanted to be.
I wish they had done more with Aang being reluctant about being the Avatar.

"Some are born great, some acheve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them."
-Shakespere's Twelth Night

Keeper of The Good Prison Chamber Which Was Once Bad
Archaes8
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fluff

« Reply #107 on: Jul 01, 2009 11:49 am »

^They do in "The Storm" episode.

I gotta love how Katara and Aang hit it off really well as friends, and how Sokka's view of the world was suddenly flipped upside-down.

iKp: Toph\\\'s caring for Zuko, Loopai, and Mai\\\'s happy face.
BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #108 on: Jul 01, 2009 01:18 pm »

^They do in "The Storm" episode.

I gotta love how Katara and Aang hit it off really well as friends, and how Sokka's view of the world was suddenly flipped upside-down.

Yeah, Sokka was pretty country and simple-minded. But who could blame him? As for Katara, after rewatching these episodes after Ember Island Players, I couldn't help but laugh.

What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
--Philipians 4:9
xPaperdoll
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Naming all the stars.

« Reply #109 on: Aug 03, 2009 03:39 pm »

I rewatched these episodes the other day, and I must say, they make a pretty good introduction. However, after having watched everything else, I feel a little bit disappointed in a way. I understand that it is all an introduction to everyone, and that they only had 40 or so minutes, but still. The characters feel so much like caricatures of who they are/will become... it almost seems that those Ember Island Players weren't too far off.

*signature made by me, textures & brushes from Aethereality.net*
AangHill200
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #110 on: Aug 06, 2009 10:19 pm »

This episode made me enjoy Anime more Grin Grin Grin
whatzitsname
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

(WARNING: This fan is a 'Kataang' supporter!!!)

« Reply #111 on: Aug 25, 2009 12:11 am »

Something I've realised (and probably think too much about), when Aang first activates the Avatar state that landed him in the iceburg, it takes him a while to wake up and recover, same when he did a Pakku with the water tornado. But as he actviates it more often, he recovers from it much quicker... I guess even the avatar is limited in strength. Don't know if I'm completely correct because I've barely watched 1/2 of the entire series, so feel free to tell me if I'm wrong and where and I can look out for it;)

whatz:)

Whatz is keeper of:
-'The Track Team' musical score for the Order of the White Lotus' battle in Ba Sing Se
-Toph's rhythimc knock on the airship control room door (Into the Inferno)
-Monk Gyatso's butt-kicking of Aang at Pai Sho
-The singing prairie dog that pops out under Sokka in 'The Library'
Oblivion
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I believe in Obby Dent.

« Reply #112 on: Aug 25, 2009 01:15 am »

He might be getting used to the Avatar State draining his strength.

*SPOILERSiguess* (For whatzitsname)

Cause in the finale, he doesn't even falter after he uses it.

I ship EndlessOblivion and MelodicOblivion. Do you? <3
darkmonkey12
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm a pyromaniac, and fire is my element. xD

« Reply #113 on: Oct 18, 2009 12:46 am »

He doesnt falter because he was controlling the avatar state.. he could limit it.. as shown when he stops the avatar state from killing Ozai

Sig by Ashley The Dragon
Keeper of Aangs "Look out Sokka! It's Sparky Sparky Boom Man!", and 'the age before the avatar'
Why you gotta be trollin' on us M.Night?
system4000
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Dragon Dance

« Reply #114 on: Dec 17, 2009 08:13 pm »

They started rerunning Avatar from the beginning on Nicktoons with episode 101 yesterday and currently showing 102 to-night. These episodes are really good.

Noticed that Sokka really seems kind of more uptight in these first episodes.

Also noticed that being in the South Pole Aang, who is not dressed for cold weather, does not seem to be freezing. And that Firenation ship with that booby trap still working after all those years was kind of strange.

midnighteyes
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

My eyes see the real world.

« Reply #115 on: Apr 09, 2010 09:44 am »

This was the begining of the show! it was probably one of the more important episodes too. You got to see how Sokka and Katara were in the beginning. In fact, they seemed almost innocent, because they hadnt quite had the opportuity to see the real world. Neither of them had alot of experience yet in defending themselves against the fire nation and other enemies. It was sort of sad to re-watch it though after the show ended because it seemed like their lives will never be the same, after all that they went through. I feel like Sokka's grown more into a man since that first episode when he was just a young boy poking a big block of ice. And Katara has become way fiercer since her young water bending days. And definitely more skilled since then too. I think I miss their innocence from the first episode.

MidnightEyes_see everything.
Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #116 on: Apr 09, 2010 10:14 pm »

101: The Boy in the Iceberg

positives:
-some of my favorite music in the series
-the slow pacing actually works very well for the most part
-the overall quiet/calm mood
-good introductions for the main characters
-nice explanations of bending (water, air, and fire specifically)

negatives:
-most of the humor is pretty childish
-Aang should have had a stronger reaction to learning about being frozen for 100 years (some sort of reference to his friends being gone would have been nice)
-the slow pacing makes the village scenes a bit dull
-Appa could have had a better introduction (without the snot...)

rating: 8.5

102: The Avatar Returns

positives:
-pretty good/meaningful dialogue overall (especially towards the end)
-the humor got a bit better
-Zuko getting pwned by a MATTRESS! (and a bunch of other things) Cheesy
-quick, yet exciting action

negatives:
-the slow pacing doesn't work as well as in 101
-Aang was a little too carefree (even for the very beginning of the series)
-Sokka was a little too incompetent

rating: 8.5
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2010 12:18 am by Mooseboy018 » Logged

my Last Airbender comics
keeper of: Koh's creepy voice, his laugh, and his three minutes of screen-time.
TheDeceiverGod
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I agree with me. You don't have to.

TheDeceiverGod
« Reply #117 on: Apr 11, 2010 01:49 am »

These two were both a good pair of episodes, and perfect introductory episodes. The Boy in the Iceberg got us interested in the characters, showed us that there was a feeling of hopelessness to the war, and really drove home each of the character's motivations. You got to see Sokka, just trying to keep his people safe, Katara completely unhappy with the life she had and driven to accomplish something in her life, Zuko desperate for redemption and Iroh quietly standing at his nephew's side, patient and carrying, if not a little gluttonous. And of course Aang, wild carefree and a total child in every sense of the word.

That being said some of the scenes were a little forced. Aang & Katara going onto the ship for example, all it took was a few words from Aang and Katara's willing to disobey her entire tribe's unwritten rule and walk on board a ship that has, in her own words 'haunted her tribe' & they weren't even good words 'if you want to be a bender you have to let go of fear' that line is one of several in these two episodes that was just rather irritating in its use and reaction. A: Aang shouldn't be using it, at least not at this point in the show, fear virtually dominates him right up until his final confrontation with Ozai, fear of failing, fear of letting people down, fear of responsibility (the fear that got him stuck in the ice to begin with) and fear of loss. Maybe they were trying to foreshadow something here but they didn't do it terribly effectively if you ask me.

Another forced line that still tends to ring sour in my ears every time I hear it is Zuko's little "I suppose you wouldn't know of fathers, being raised by monks." This is a pure and simple plot explanation, Zuko has almost no way of knowing Aang was raised by monks, no one has seen an Air Bender for 100 years, and even if he knew there's little reason to mention it then, sure his mind may legitimately turn toward his father upon the thought of handing the Avatar over, but still there's no reason we have to know that Aang was raised by monks at this point in the series, particularly not when it would fit in perfectly well later in the story, like when they visit Aang's old Air Temple for example, that would be a perfect time for a nice little 'and this was where the monks who raised me lived' along Aang's little tour of the temple. Particularly since it would fit in rather perfectly, in my humble opinion, before his little 'this place used to be full of monks and lemurs and bison' nothing like seeing empty unused living quarters to drive home the whole, no one lives here anymore point.

~It was as sweet as it was suicidal.~
Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #118 on: Apr 18, 2010 02:43 pm »

Yeah, I agree that those lines are pretty forced, especially Aang's.  It feels like Mike and Bryan just didn't put too much thought into that line in terms of characterization, but maybe Aang just really wanted to be alone with Katara in a place where no one would ever look for them. Wink

my Last Airbender comics
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #119 on: Apr 18, 2010 05:38 pm »

I don't think he particularly wanted to be alone with Katara (they were already far away from the tribe anyway). He was just careless. He was a little child who wanted to play in the ship and who would challenge his buddies in order to make them go with him.

I think it fits his childlike character in the beginning. I'm more surprized Katara fell for it, but then she was desperate for some adventure in her boring chore life. Roll Eyes

catstop
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Keeper of the decedents of the Air Nomad survivors

« Reply #120 on: Jul 04, 2010 01:52 pm »

I think these are both great episodes even though the comedy/childish cartoon level is alot higher in these two then the rest. Especially The Boy In The Iceberg. I.e. Katara's facial expressions and words after Sokka says "Leave it to a girl to screw everything up." and "at least I don't make mussels at myself every time I see my reflection in the water." There is also a couple more parts that are very Nickelodeon young children cartoonish. And then from The Southern Air Temple on there is comedy relief but not as corny. It's like the expected their average viewing age to be alot younger than it turned out to be. Otherwise - both episodes start capture the viewer enough to continue watching the show. The entire point of the first few episodes - right?

Pairings supported: On Ji x Aang - Katara x Jet - Sokka x Suki - Toph x Tenzik (FN OC from "The Headband") - Appa x Nyla - Momo x Hawky - Zuko x Mai - Ty Lee x Haru - Azula x Chach
Ambrose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #121 on: Aug 11, 2010 03:31 pm »

Just started watching Sokka is a huge a****le, hope he dies but he wont. I hope the fire nation toast Gran-gran because shes senile.
 The rest of the characters are great.

Carpe diem
Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #122 on: Aug 11, 2010 06:37 pm »

Just started watching Sokka is a huge assh*le, hope he dies but he wont.

Jeez.  Give it some time.  It's only the first episode(s)...

But don't worry, Sokka grows up over the course of the first season.

my Last Airbender comics
Ambrose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #123 on: Aug 12, 2010 08:49 pm »

Well of course he has a character arc, I guess im bored of seeing stock characters grow. But I can live with him.

Carpe diem
RedBeardJim
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #124 on: Aug 13, 2010 08:30 am »

He has a character arc, but they were also still figuring his character out "behind the scenes" at this point. A lot of the change in Sokka grew out of the voice actor's characterization of him.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: