May 25, 2017 11:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate These Episodes:
10 - 133 (48.2%)
9 - 51 (18.5%)
8 - 52 (18.8%)
7 - 15 (5.4%)
6 - 9 (3.3%)
5 - 6 (2.2%)
4 - 0 (0%)
3 - 3 (1.1%)
2 - 1 (0.4%)
1 - 6 (2.2%)
Total Voters: 267

Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [101 & 102] The Boy In The Iceberg & The Avatar Returns  (Read 25993 times)
Acastus
Expert Advisor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Victim of the gelatinous cube.

« on: Feb 11, 2006 09:49 am »

Official Description: Katara and Sokka, a brother and sister from the Southern Water Tribe, discover a twelve-year-old boy frozen in an iceberg. Katara wonders if this boy is the Avatar whom the world has been waiting for for a hundred years. Of course, his enemies in the Fire Nation have also been waiting.
airbendergirl
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2006 03:23 pm »

This was a good episode. I think they boy in the iceberg gave the show a nice intro.

Drink Tea
Read Newspaper
Complain about pointless things
Invade countries and claim them!
Support Conservatives
THIS IS BEING BRITISH!!!!
FoxSpirit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

~Soul Reaper~

« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2006 07:27 pm »

This episode was good because it was an hour and it was exiting to watch the battles(when i first watched it). It was pretty funny too.
Lieselle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

" 'OH MY GOD, NO WAI!' 'OH MY GOD, YES WAI!' "

Lady+Liesl+99
« Reply #3 on: Apr 30, 2006 08:42 pm »

Yeah, when I first saw it the penguin sledding line kinda got me hooked for the moment and made me want to watch the rest of the episode. No joke Grin

Angel Of Shadows
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006 09:58 am »

I aggree this was a very good intro to the show. Yeah for penguins!

Sig courtsey of Zukofan.

YOU ROCK MY WORLD ZUKOFAN!!!!!! Smiley @)---'--,-
Firelord Sunny
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yip yip!

ladymecha
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006 08:19 am »

for a pilot this episode really dove into the storylines and characters, its not often you see this kind of detail in a pilot.
I have not seen a pilot like this out of an american cartoon show since gargoyles, one that so deeply got into the characters right away.
Even Zuko who seemed to be the main villain of the series at that time was questionable as a villain, especially when he spared the water tribe villagers after Aang agreed to go with him.
it showed an unusual balance of humor and seriousness, the likes I have never seen before or since...
it gave great indication that this show was something different, something revolutionary.

Space, the final frontier...
These are the voyages of the flying bison Appa.
His ongoing mission, to explore strange new worlds,
To help Aang seek out new bending masters and escape the firenation.
To boldy go where no flying bison has gone before...

Keeper of Davros' frozen head
omgasp
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

av by alpha

« Reply #6 on: Jun 08, 2006 06:59 pm »

What strikes me kind of odd is how Zuko says "I suppose you wouldn't know a father" to Aang when in his flashbacks later on in the story show that he wasn't altogether liked by his father--He was lucky to have lived.

It's almost as if Zuko's bragging about his father even though he didn't really act like a father figure. That's pretty desperate. Still love Zuko though Cheesy. I like his new hair and his fancy swords... Plus he's all firey and mysterious.

Firelord Sunny
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yip yip!

ladymecha
« Reply #7 on: Jun 08, 2006 07:02 pm »

Well the first episode is always the try out episodes, and besides at the time I dont even think the creators knew what kind of a person Zuko was going to be, they could have had another plot for him entirely...

Space, the final frontier...
These are the voyages of the flying bison Appa.
His ongoing mission, to explore strange new worlds,
To help Aang seek out new bending masters and escape the firenation.
To boldy go where no flying bison has gone before...

Keeper of Davros' frozen head
omgasp
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

av by alpha

« Reply #8 on: Jun 08, 2006 07:22 pm »

Actually I think he was just in denial. In the next episode when he duels Zhao, Zhao provokes him by saying he's banished and that his father doesn't even want him.  So I guess it wasn't that odd, they were just building up Zuko's story so that we'd all be like "OOOOOoooOOOH!" when they did the flashbacks.

Now I feel sorry for Zuko.. desperately wanting to be accepted by his father.

TheMaster
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

zhenlek@hotmail.com
« Reply #9 on: Jul 03, 2006 04:25 am »

Great episode, really got hooked up the very moment it starts, especially the opening sequence...simply stunning.  The way they bring out the story, the character development...makes me curious about how it all came to be..

Hope I'm not out of topic...but I kinda hav a hunch Aang develops an infatuation for Katara the very moment he open his eyes...just my opinion though... Cheesy
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Sep 07, 2006 05:14 pm »

Today I started a mini marathon to get me ready for the big SotFN! The Boy in the Iceberg was a great introduction to the story. It was sillier than some of the other episodes. I wonder if the creators were trying a little harder to show Nickelodeon that the story could be balanced for all audiences. I still don't understand why we hear a slide whistle when Katara's grandmother tells Aang to call her "Gran Gran". That never seemed to fit for me. Was that supposed to be a funny moment? 

Tananda
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av by omgasp

Michelle+es+FAG
« Reply #11 on: Sep 07, 2006 05:17 pm »

It was a funny moment! She was so monotone and bitterish in everything she said- then she tells him to call her by a cutsie old lady nickname? I laughed.

ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Sep 07, 2006 05:19 pm »

It was a funny moment! She was so monotone and bitterish in everything she said- then she tells him to call her by a cutsie old lady nickname? I laughed.

Ahhh! I get it now! Thanx...I'm old Smiley

Mikesta
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

plazamikie@hotmail.com
« Reply #13 on: Oct 22, 2006 07:25 pm »

Great episode with a great intro...but but jeez when i compare Zuko with his new hairstyle and zuko in this episode....he looks like an old man in this episode when he agrees with taking aang to spare the water tribe

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!!
barfarama2
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2006 09:39 am »

I rewatched this episode last night and found it funny to see how Aang and Katara and everybody else goes from newbs to the benders they are now. I wonder how skilled they'll be by the end of the series! 7.5/10 A great start to a great series.
Sora
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2006 06:11 pm »

It was the perfect pilot episode. When I first saw it I was watching it with my friend and we both wanted to be airbenders so bad.
PG15
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Boo!

« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2006 07:13 pm »

Awesome beginning to the series. I must have watched the Aang-goes-Avatar-state scene at the end a few dozen times by now, all thanks to that music.

They need to release a soundtrack, pronto!

The Phenom Aang
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Champion of Earth Rumble 6

« Reply #17 on: Dec 29, 2006 08:23 pm »

A great Episode! when i watched the first episode, Avatar already became my favorite show.  Grin

Memento Mori
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Remember your mortality...

« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2007 01:58 am »

It was a good episode, but I wouldn't suggest it as an episode to get someone into the show.
Too much playing around and laughing.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

aka candybender ;)

« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2007 07:56 am »

Yes that can be, but I also think that it makes you want to see the following episode 103. And when you see that one you are hooked to the show, it has a continuing storyline you know so that's why I think it sure is a good episode to introdruce somebody to Avatar because then you want to see the episodes that follow. That's how I hooked to the show! If you want to introdruce somebody to Avatar, there's another thread about that, you could watch The legend so far.
VelociBerg
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2007 12:48 pm »

Interesting beginning to a series. But even with Katara's introduction I was still left feeling a vague load of "Huh?" I didn't like that it seemingly just threw everyone into the plot, yet showing little evidence of a war lasting a hundred years.

Granted, this is an isolated region and I'm letting future episodes cloud that particular statement of mine. But I still retained that feeling of being lost when I watched that first episode. I understood that the Avatar was missing and couldn't restore balance for 100 years, and that some guy with a scar (Zuko) was hunting him down even though he'd been missing for those years with absolutely zero traces.

To the positives. Most of the characters had decent introductions, and one could tell Aang was the Avatar right off from the first time we see him. We're given insight to practically all the characters, just without the extra flavor of history given to them later on. So I'd rate this as decent, but definitely not the best.
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #21 on: Mar 08, 2007 01:32 pm »

I thought it was an excellent introductory episodes. However the thought occured to me of extending the introductory.

They could have a tv movie premere. Either 90 minutes or 2 hour movie (later split into 3 or 4 episodes) it would conclude with "The Boy In The Iceberg" and "The Avatar Returns".

The first chapter or two, would take place 100 years earlier at the beginning of the war and when Aang was frozen in the Iceberg. It would be about Aang running away, followed by the Fire Nations first strikes. And we get to see the world at peace before the Fire Nation attacked.

We see the Fire Nation attack the other nations, including one of the Monks betraying the Air Normads, Fire Lord Suzon taking power over the Sages, in the Northern Water Tribe we would meet a young girl named Connie, and maybe see Azulon as a baby or young boy.

Than we move 100 years later.
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2007 02:06 pm by fireywaters » Logged

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
Sora
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #22 on: Mar 14, 2007 08:16 pm »

I think some of the best airbending was in the first episode er maybe it eas the second.
It's when Aang on the ship.
Majin_Koenma
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Proud Aang hater, Introvert and Nonshipper

« Reply #23 on: Mar 14, 2007 08:59 pm »

I think some of the best airbending was in the first episode er maybe it eas the second.
It's when Aang on the ship.

True. Air bending was actually interesting in the first two episodes, but after that it got boring.  Too passive and too evasive in a fight. Earth and fire bending are way more interesting to watch, in my humble opinion.

President of Ba Sing Se/Tessigua master
Keeper of ...
-The Yu Yan Archer's arrows
-Sozin/Roku's crown/The Light Chakra/Master Piandao's sword
ASN's #1 Aang anti-fan
Green Fire
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Mysterious Flames

« Reply #24 on: Mar 25, 2007 04:11 pm »

Everytime I watch this I say (to my self or anyone watching with me) "And here is where Zuko makes a mistake worthy of DR. Evil.  Leaving his greatest foe and his only chance of honor under the watch of two innept gaurds."

^that is SO pilot Azula Wink         
    Keeper of Long Feng's Green Fire
Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: