Dec 14, 2017 01:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: What's your favorite Element?
Water - 403 (22.9%)
Earth - 288 (16.4%)
Fire - 471 (26.8%)
Air - 321 (18.3%)
Thay're all awesome. - 275 (15.6%)
Total Voters: 1728

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Water. Earth. Fire. Air (where does YOUR loyalty lie?)  (Read 142359 times)
ignite444
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

A Kataang shipper to the end!

« Reply #25 on: Mar 25, 2006 08:47 pm »

Zuko could have beaten Katara if he had more training. But not like I would want him to win, lol!

Banner made by me, do not steal! If you want to use it, ask me first.

Join my site! Avatar Dream (New custom skin up!)
xlegend34
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

PROUD Keeper of Kataang, and the Soldier Boy Song

arman12 sharpiesrawesome42
« Reply #26 on: Mar 25, 2006 09:02 pm »

lol maybe, i think they're pretty evenly matched, its b/c of that whole moon gives waterbender their power, and the sun gave zuko his, but w/e katara won

Leaves from the vine, falling so slow.
Like fragile, tiny shells,
Drifting in the foam.
Little soldier boy, come marching home.
Brave soldier boy, comes marching home.
R.I.P. Mako
ignite444
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #27 on: Mar 25, 2006 09:25 pm »

Well, yes, the whole sun and moon thing comes into play as well.

Eira
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #28 on: Mar 26, 2006 06:50 pm »

Exactly.  Well said.  Btw, I love your avatar!  Did you make it yourself?

Yes, I did. I have a section under Fan media.

Back on topic, I think the connection between the elements and the moon and the Sun were pretty cool as well. As much as I like fire, though, I think that they are all pretty evenly matched when it comes to power, though.

Kara
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #29 on: Mar 26, 2006 07:04 pm »

Definately airbending for me. I mean, come on, you can fly! (not to mention run faster than the wind and ride on air scooters Smiley) And like others have said, you can find air anywhere, so it doesn't have the restrictions earth or waterbending have.
Eira
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #30 on: Mar 26, 2006 07:35 pm »

Definately airbending for me. I mean, come on, you can fly! (not to mention run faster than the wind and ride on air scooters Smiley) And like others have said, you can find air anywhere, so it doesn't have the restrictions earth or waterbending have.

True...that was what kept my eye on airbending when I was trying to decide which I liked best. Flying would be so cool!

dinglehopper
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

STEALTH MODE

« Reply #31 on: Mar 26, 2006 09:35 pm »

Water most definately. Come on, healing powers would be awesome plus it'd be fun to do all the extreme water sports, skate on ice bridges and stuff. Plus waterbending would definately improve my surfing Tongue

Air comes in a very close second. Flying and super fast running= ultimate fun.

thunder_713
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fire Nation Traitor...

evilbabyrulesall@msn.com thndr713
« Reply #32 on: Mar 27, 2006 05:36 pm »

I still say fire. I'd fry my little brother all the time...*happysigh*

^Zuko fan? Check out Lava Love God

Keeper of Sokka's necklace and Zuko's ship.

(LLG banner thanks to omgasp). Icon by magicker_icons.
Opal Koboi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fools rush in where lemurs fear to look

« Reply #33 on: Mar 28, 2006 03:00 pm »

Fire. Fire isn't a substance, it's a reaction. If I wasn't already sold on fire before, Jeong Jeong's speaches in The Deserter would have converted me.
And I have a sneaking suspicion that extremely potent Master firebenders (like Jeong Jeong and Iroh, and possibly Ozai and Azula?) gain the ability to commune with the spirit world.

blah
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The+Fillibuster
« Reply #34 on: Mar 29, 2006 04:10 pm »

Probably Fire. They're all equally awesome, but I was always a fire-fan, even before the show started. In a matter of fact, when the show first started I was like, "Aw, fire is the bad guy?" But as Zuko is so awesome I realized that was pretty okay actually. I pretty sure my birth sign, Sagittarius, is a fire sign too.

"If I were rain, that joins the sky and earth that otherwise never touch, could I join two hearts?" - Bleach
ignite444
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #35 on: Mar 29, 2006 04:14 pm »

I have always loved fire. It started out with a passion for training Fire type Pokémon on my Game Boys. Lol!

Lieselle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

" 'OH MY GOD, NO WAI!' 'OH MY GOD, YES WAI!' "

Lady+Liesl+99
« Reply #36 on: Apr 17, 2006 06:45 pm »

Come on guys, as much as some of us hate to admit it, we've got a soft side for at least one of these awesome nations  Grin. Personally, I've got a soft side for the Water Nation. Their fighting stlye is one of my favorites on the show, and I like the giant coats, haha! And though I could be from the Water Nation, I'd probably be from the Fire Nation. I can have a VERY bad temper at times, as much as I hate to say it. Ask any of my freinds, they can tell you some very long stories when I had one (okay, twelve!) of those Katara tantrums. (Lets face it guys, she can go from zero to b**ch in 0.2 seconds!!) So, what nation do you think you'd come from based on your personallity?

....but then, where does your loyalty truely lie?

Firebeendingqeen
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

EEPP! oh i heart chibi jack!

« Reply #37 on: Apr 17, 2006 06:53 pm »

ok as you know, i am like a fire brat. but....i heart air so much! they are so carefree. but i luv fire,
1. they have the coolest festivals and can to awsome things from fire
2. i am a pyro
3. fighting style
4. (come on! you can't deny) the hott zuko!

earth annoys me so much. yet i have no clue why. they are just annoying.

water. oh man. water just scares me. cause that can be one of the coolest but creepiest elemants. the reason why i say that is that they are the most silent. you don't know when one is gonna sneek up on you.

Unbridled Joy of Flight
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #38 on: Apr 17, 2006 06:56 pm »

I went ahead and merged the topics since they were essentially on the same topic....

I love air given my background, but I actually love the waterbenders (polar variety) a lot more than the air nomads.  Hard choice, but ultimately I'd say water...
Lieselle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

" 'OH MY GOD, NO WAI!' 'OH MY GOD, YES WAI!' "

Lady+Liesl+99
« Reply #39 on: Apr 17, 2006 07:51 pm »

I went ahead and merged the topics since they were essentially on the same topic....

Oh, oops  Embarrassed. Haha! I should really read these things before I actually post them...

Karen
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

karenthegroomer@yahoo.ca
« Reply #40 on: Apr 17, 2006 10:17 pm »

Hmmm... I dunno about the whole "loyaltys" thing, but my favorite Nation would have to be Fire, mainly because it seems a tad more developed then some of the other cultures as it is based mostly off of ancient China with a tad of the pre-Meiji Shogunate.

I also like that firebenders can create fire without having to have the element handy, and that the more powerful, experienced ones can errupt volcanoes and create and control lightning itself!.

Also, some more interesting trivia, the light from the moon and stars is really the light of the sun (the Fire Nations diety and power source) reflected off them, and the world itself revolves around the sun!.

And also, in spite of Jeong Jeongs self-hating words, the sun and fire are benefitial and necessary. Fire is a source of warmth, light and purification, and without the sun the world would always be dark and as cold as winter.

Last but not least, unlike the Water Tribes, the Fire Nation actually seems to have respect for women; This is shown by the obvious favoritism and power Azula holds over Zuko (Her two elderly female advisors seem to hold allot of power themselves as well) and how she, Mei and Ty Lee can each fight using their skills without being questioned or criticized by male elders. This is in direct contrast to Yues passiveness and the BS Katara initially had to deal with from Master Pakku.

Unbridled Joy of Flight
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #41 on: Apr 17, 2006 11:38 pm »

Also, some more interesting trivia, the light from the moon and stars is really the light of the sun (the Fire Nations diety and power source) reflected off them, and the world itself revolves around the sun!.
In our world perhaps, but is this so in Avatar?  Witness how the light of the moon changed to red, then disappeared with the handling of the Moon Spirit.  If the light of the moon in this world is just reflected from the sun, then the sun must have been going through some terrible stuff right then.  And the disappearance of the moon entirely with the death of the spirit doesn't jive with a scientific universe.  These events negate comparison to how things work here.  In such a spirit-affected world, how can you be so sure the sun doesn't revolve around the world?

And also, in spite of Jeong Jeongs self-hating words, the sun and fire are benefitial and necessary. Fire is a source of warmth, light and purification, and without the sun the world would always be dark and as cold as winter.
Heat and the sun must be moderated.  I think the lack of moderation found in so many firebenders was the concern of Jeong.

Last but not least, unlike the Water Tribes, the Fire Nation actually seems to have respect for women; This is shown by the obvious favoritism and power Azula holds over Zuko (Her two elderly female advisors seem to hold allot of power themselves as well) and how she, Mei and Ty Lee can each fight using their skills without being questioned or criticized by male elders. This is in direct contrast to Yues passiveness and the BS Katara initially had to deal with from Master Pakku.
Until we see another example of female power in the Fire Nation, we cannot assume this is common.  Until his disgrace, it was made clear Zuko was the heir to the Fire Lord's throne.  Only now has Azula ascended, and then only in the absence of another male successor.  It appears from what we know the line of power is masculine.  Just because the only accepted and favored child of the Fire Lord has power doesn't mean that other women have it.  We have no other examples of such.  Until we do, it's all conjecture.

And just because Mai and Ty Lee fight to directly protect their family, or at the behest of Azula, doesn't mean they can do so 'normally'.  If so, doncha think Mai would be a member of some elite special force like the archer corp or something, rather than rot away in Omashu?  Note how the archers were all male, as far as we can see.  I don't get the sense the Fire Nation is a bastion of equality, but that's just me...
Karen
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

karenthegroomer@yahoo.ca
« Reply #42 on: Apr 18, 2006 01:41 am »

In our world perhaps, but is this so in Avatar?  Witness how the light of the moon changed to red, then disappeared with the handling of the Moon Spirit.  If the light of the moon in this world is just reflected from the sun, then the sun must have been going through some terrible stuff right then.  And the disappearance of the moon entirely with the death of the spirit doesn't jive with a scientific universe.  These events negate comparison to how things work here.  In such a spirit-affected world, how can you be so sure the sun doesn't revolve around the world?

Well, you may have a point there, but I still feel we can safely say, untill informed otherwise, that the world of "Avatar" is round and that the light of the sun is reflected off the moon and stars, same astrology as in our world, spirits or not.

Heat and the sun must be moderated.  I think the lack of moderation found in so many firebenders was the concern of Jeong.

"Water brings healing and life. But fire brings only destruction and pain." in otherwords "The Water Tribes and Waterbenders are good, but the whole Fire Nation and all Firebenders are evil." This doesn't sound like a concern for modoration to me. Water certainly brings no "healing and life" to people injured and killed in floods, hurricaines, tsunamis, etc, and fire certainly doesn't bring only "destruction and pain" to someone in danger of freezing to death.

Until we see another example of female power in the Fire Nation, we cannot assume this is common.  Until his disgrace, it was made clear Zuko was the heir to the Fire Lord's throne.

That's right, Zuko was the eldest son so naturally he would be the heir. Yet, even before his disgrace and banishment Azula was still the favored one, still the firebending prodigy whom everyone adored. The fact that Ozai claims she was "born lucky" while Zuko was "lucky to be born" speaks volumes.

And just because Mai and Ty Lee fight to directly protect their family, or at the behest of Azula, doesn't mean they can do so 'normally'.  If so, doncha think Mai would be a member of some elite special force like the archer corp or something, rather than rot away in Omashu?  Note how the archers were all male, as far as we can see.  I don't get the sense the Fire Nation is a bastion of equality, but that's just me...

Well, I look at it this way; If it were considered just as culturally wrong for women to have power, to use bending, to fight, etc in the Fire Nation as it is in the Water Tribes, then Ozai would have either not banished Zuko or replaced him with another male heir rather then giving the power to his favored daughter. He would have expressed disapproval of Azula firebending, lightning bending, etc. Also, even Meis own father, the Governor, expresses no disapproval of her fighting, nor of his power being given over to her instead of another male.

No, I wouldn't say the Fire Nation is a "bastion of equality" either, but it doesn't seem as blatantly restrictive in regards to gender roles as the Water Tribes either.

Acastus
Expert Advisor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Victim of the gelatinous cube.

« Reply #43 on: Apr 18, 2006 08:34 am »

Also, some more interesting trivia, the light from the moon and stars is really the light of the sun (the Fire Nations diety and power source) reflected off them, and the world itself revolves around the sun!

Stars do not reflect the light of our sun. The moon, however, does. Our sun is a class G2V spectral star. Other stars, with varying degrees of density, mass, radiation output and stability all emit their own light.  I am no expert, but there is tons of great reference material on the web. A list of other stars and their classes can be found here.The chart at the bottom of this page here is probably a little more illustrative.

The debate on the role of women in the Fire Nation is super cool, but is off topic here. If you'd like to continue, I've quoted everyone's posts (it was little too much of a pain to just spilt them since some on topic stuff is here too) and put them in a new string here.

Back on topic. As for my own affiliation, it is no secret, Acastus. Fire isn't what I'd choose, probably, but it does seem to fit. And if the shoe, fits...
Toomin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Waterbender Extraordinaire

« Reply #44 on: Apr 18, 2006 05:36 pm »

People were arguing earlier about Zuko vs. Katara. Well, given some of the things we've seen recently (Return to Omasu, The Swamp), I think Katara would be able to take him, whatever time of day it was. She seems to be able to improvise extremely well:

Yeah, she probably learned these moves from Pakku's scrolls, but she definitely improvised some of that stuff during her fight with him (most notably this):

Anyway, I'd probably be part of the Water tribes, not only because it's my favorite, but also because it fits with my personality. Tongue

I love all the different applications fighting with water has. Ice spears, water whips, giant waves of water, ice blocks, the ability to cut, not to mention being able to waterbend the water inside other solid objects like plants and people, the possibilities seem limitless. Smiley

Avatar made by Dancing Banana. Thanks!
Karen
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

karenthegroomer@yahoo.ca
« Reply #45 on: Apr 19, 2006 12:34 am »

Anyway, I'd probably be part of the Water tribes, not only because it's my favorite, but also because it fits with my personality.

I love all the different applications fighting with water has. Ice spears, water whips, giant waves of water, ice blocks, the ability to cut, not to mention being able to waterbend the water inside other solid objects like plants and people, the possibilities seem limitless.

Agreed!. Although my first preference is the Fire Nation and firebending, I also love the whole idea of waterbending (If Katara keeps it up, she could be just as awesomely deadly as Haku from "Naruto"!) so I think water would be my second choice!. As Mameha said in "Memoirs Of A Geisha", "Water is powerful; It can move earth, it can put out fire, and it can even destroy metal."

Aang462
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #46 on: Apr 20, 2006 08:24 pm »

i voted earth because i can use it to move through solid earth.

Atra gülai un ilian taught ono un
Atra ono waíse sköli
Firebeendingqeen
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

EEPP! oh i heart chibi jack!

« Reply #47 on: Apr 21, 2006 02:39 pm »

sorry, didn't mean to take ur idea, i meant it to be like if you like shadow or somthing. i will delete it. sorry!
nawarine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2006 04:08 pm »

My favorite element is the air because I think it's the most powerful. It's so fast it can dodge anything, which is the best defence. You can fly and you can win in a fight without having to hurt your opponent. Some could say not having a finishing move is a weakness but I think you could definitely create some deadly moves (in Indiana Jones 3 there is the breath of god which can cut off people's heads). Air might be weak against fire though because fire fuels itself with air. On the other hand you can blow out a candle. Earth is not that powerful because the element is not always available.

Water is also very powerful of course and versatile. It can be used for fighting and heal. Some might say the element is not always available this might be true but in a fight it is not. The human body exits for 60 to 70% out of water which would enable a master to control it's opponent like a puppet. Making him unable to perform a bending move of his own. This might not be true though since King bumi was able to bend the earth with just his face uncovered (making him more powerful than Toph).

After careful consideration I still think airbending is the most powerful so air is the best.
Green Lizard
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2006 04:29 pm »

Earth...Well, I like earth bending the most, because it's the most powerful in my opinion. as for the actual Earth Nation people, I can't say I like them much. They seem sort of stuck up. Seriously though, the only reason people are voting fire is because it "looks cool" I picked earth because all you have to do to win is either drop a large rock on your opponent or create a crack in the earth and watch them fall.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: