May 27, 2017 04:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Avatar MMORPG  (Read 38112 times)
Lei
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Apparently not.

« Reply #25 on: Jul 20, 2007 03:39 pm »

Also theyd need like a renown system. Renown is how popular you are. It would effect how NPC's would react to you, and what places you could go. I mean, it would be kind of odd if all the newbies went fight up to the fire lord's or earth king's throne.
Or maybe it could go by level or something.

I draw! (golly!)
Keeper of Sokka's beard and Toph's discarded soles.
SweEarth
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^That's my home. I live with a troll...

« Reply #26 on: Jul 27, 2007 03:26 pm »

A MMORPG would be great! The races would be the nations of course, but I thought a bit about classes, and here's what I made:

Bender: Well... You... Bend. Earthbenders are defensive and strong, airbenders are quick and agile (sp?), firebenders are strong and powerful, waterbenders have healing abilities and more chi.

Warrior: You can choose different weapons depending on what nation you are from. Examples: Earth/Broadswords, Air/Staves, Fire/Those chain thingies one of the rough rhinos has got..., Water/Spears.

Ranged attacker: Same as warrior but you use ranged weapons. Examples: Earth/Throwing rocks, Fire/Bow, Air/?, Water/Boomerang.

Entertainer: You can sing, dance, play an instrument or do anything that amuses people.

My friends say, "I've met Justin Timberlake!" I say, "So what?! I once got quoted by Avatar_Mom!"
iambibs
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #27 on: Aug 13, 2007 01:27 am »

An MMORPG based on the Avatar world is a great idea. Though, an MMORPG based on the world of Naruto is also a great idea. I doubt there's a problem with making games like this since we have tons of talented game developers all over the world. But making games takes a lot of money, you'd have to convince the guys who created Avatar that making an MMORPG based on their creation is going to be worth the money.

If ever they decide to create an MMORPG based on ATLA though, I'd play it no matter what too. Cheesy

Sumguy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Green Thunder= pwnage

« Reply #28 on: Aug 14, 2007 06:11 am »

Funny, because I started thinking about an Avatar MMORPG just a couple of minutes ago. It could have good potential...

I lolz in the face of evil

http://www.phpbb88.com/revival/viewtopic.php?p=5439&mforum=revival#5439

^ The Revival! A very funny and Random social forum! Join and prepare to enjoy yourself!
Vercir
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

moappa just got a whole lot cooler.

« Reply #29 on: Aug 15, 2007 08:11 pm »

admins could be avatars! Grin this does sound awesome! If someone makes one I will play it forever (you know, give or take)

avatar and sig by cavesareforshipping (who rocks)
I'm back from NY!
keeper of Azula's flaming doll's ashes.
Renma
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #30 on: Aug 17, 2007 05:24 pm »

it would be more interesting if you started off as a person with no bending skills what so ever.

as you sign up, you choose what tribe you are from. Then you follow the paths you want, to gain skills.

Like water bending, you can be a water warrior, who focuses more on offensive attacks and gains more in mass and range but their bending skill is limited. Or you could be a water healer, which uyou can focus on water defence and character healing.
As you master water bending. You get to access ice type bending. your speciality for water benders

Earth benders can choose to be earth soldiers, another warrior type. Or a protection based earth bender, that can access earth armour and mud shields/earth walls etc.
Master earth benders will have the specialty of also being able to sand bend. As low levels cant access sand due to it's too complex to bend efficiently. But masters can and use effectively.

Air benders will focus on range or elemental nullifying. Say as the 'ultimate defence character'
Air benders when masters can start accessing more offensive air attacks.

As for fire benders i havent thought of that yet :S

So Avatar, Are You Ready To Ride The Lightning?

Ba Sing Se
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Harlequinade Archivist

« Reply #31 on: Aug 18, 2007 02:22 pm »

That would be awesome! But they should set the time period to the time of peace to have air benders Smiley

Akira Takahashi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #32 on: Aug 19, 2007 06:22 pm »

I bet that, if they did it right, it would be just as good as World of Warcraft or The Lord of the Rings Online (I like LOTR better).
Vercir
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

moappa just got a whole lot cooler.

« Reply #33 on: Aug 19, 2007 07:33 pm »

I think they would make tons of money from this idea, everyone from ASN would buy it, along with probably every guest we've ever had come to the site. And there's always the more casual avatar viewer and the mmo buff that I know has to exist. If you look at MMO's they are pretty much the same with a different fandom/theme to spin it. I think that the avaverse could easily make a great spin on the traditional MMO.

Ideas I have:
lots of other games have missions, so maybe helping the avatar or your specific nation maybe?
I would like to see an avatar MMO for Wii. The Wiimote's capabilities are being pressed further with each new game that is released. It is only a matter of time before they make a wireless nunchuck. For bending, I think that it would be either on scrolls ("The Waterbending Scroll") or taught from masters ("The Waterbending Master" "Bitter Work")
Transportation+weapons:
W:
harpoon/boomerang:::Yak-like thing (briefly seen in North Pole episodes) and penguins
A:
Staff-glider:::bison
F:
Broadswords/spear/roughrhino weapons:::Azumailee lizards and rhinos
E:
hammers/Daili gloves/kyoshi fans/freedomfighter weapons:::Badger/bear/ostrich horse/etc.

avatar and sig by cavesareforshipping (who rocks)
I'm back from NY!
keeper of Azula's flaming doll's ashes.
WarlordPipsqueak
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Warlordpipsqueak, professional forum-lurker.

« Reply #34 on: Aug 22, 2007 11:05 am »

sounds really cool!
for enemies i have been looking at nicks old Autumn twighlight game

lets see, for a game set after the war: Bandits and Wild animals... and a evil spirit monster now and again...

mmh...

or the setting of the game could be set DURING the war! this means there is a whole nation of firebenders to fight! of course you wouldn't be able to play as airbenders or firebenders...

mmh...

-NO LONGER waiting for the Firenation Zeppelin-fleet
-boycotting Avatar Action figures for equal rights since 2006
-Weapon-Master of the Halberd and the Crowbar
Qi Chin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I keep Katara's acrobatic dancing skills \(^_^)/

« Reply #35 on: Mar 16, 2008 01:42 am »

This idea just struck me, and after searching, I found this rather old thread. I hope it's okay to still post in here.

An Avatar MMORPG would be quite awesome, but it's also very easy to butcher the lore if you're not careful. Since a large part of Avatar's appeal is the lore and the world, you'd be hard pressed to mess around with it too much. I think the best time to set it would be perhaps a year or so after the series proper, because that's what has been built up by the show, and that's the setting everyone knows. The people from the show would become NPCs, perhaps leaders of their respective nations (certainly possible in Zuko's and Sokka's/Hakoda's case).

You'd choose your Nation only, no classes. So you'd just be a simple citizen from the Fire Nation, Water Tribes, or Earth Kingdom to begin with. Since there really aren't any Air Nomads (and making them adventurers killing random mobs would be a sure-fire way to kill lore), you can't play them. Then, in game, you'd see what kind of skills you want to train. Start out with some simple combat, then either visit warrior trainers, or bending trainers, and learn your respective craft.

Bending would be pretty difficult to implement, seeing as how it is pretty free-form in the show. But it should be possible to bring it down to some simple maneuvers ("spells") which can then be used. Of course, balance of benders and non-benders would have to be perfect.

Of course, dungeons and raids would have to fit well. I actually quite enjoyed the (only) 40-man raid I've been on in WoW, and it would be nice if there was something like that (maybe Old Ba Sing Se?).

Given that there are numerous leveling and skill systems, I don't want to set anything down. But an EXP based system seems better than the one in, say, Oblivion. Because it's pretty hard training a bow skill without anything to shoot at, and quest rewards would be really difficult to create, especially for an MMORPG.

Just my thoughts so far. Overall, if pulled off right, such a game would be awesome, and I wouldn't mind spending 15 bucks a month on it.

Qi

You are entitled to your own opinions, but you aren't entitled to your own facts.

"Anything that causes you to question the preconceptions you've come to love is a good thing." - Anna Helene Feulner

"There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance." - Ali Bin Abi Thalib[
Prateem
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

It's not over yet! There's still ASN!

« Reply #36 on: Mar 16, 2008 12:05 pm »

As for the lore part of the game, Qi, a lot of WoW's gameplay was based on Lore and it enhanced the lore as well, so the MMO for Avatar could do the same thing. I mean, WoW's backstory was unbelievably amazing and put together well. Almost every quest expanded on another or used a bit of lore and information for support. With enough creative juices and a dedicated thought, the lore of Avatar could not only be maintained, but enhanced!

Awesome Sig/Icon by Georgie/Schellibie - My Media n' Stuff!
otaku_ben
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

o_l_me_l_o
« Reply #37 on: Apr 21, 2008 09:10 am »

I'm coming back to this but I had thought of a Avatar MMORPG as well but a free online version. Here's the thing I'm  looking for some serious people who might be interested in the idea. the engine I want to use to create it is the Rappelz Epic 4 engine which is very similar to the WOW one but I'm sure could be done to make the Avatar MMORPG much better than the other two. Anyone interested in brainstorming get a hold of me.

Keeper of:
Aang's Onion and Banana Juice
Iroh's White Jade Tea
Bumi's Mad Genius
Toph's Blind Bandit Persona
Sumguy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Green Thunder= pwnage

« Reply #38 on: Apr 21, 2008 10:14 am »

^hmmm, intresting. If it's free it's vital that the engine runs smoothly on a low spec computer and works on high spec, is this possible? if so, I wish you look my friend!

^ The Revival! A very funny and Random social forum! Join and prepare to enjoy yourself!
otaku_ben
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

o_l_me_l_o
« Reply #39 on: Apr 21, 2008 10:19 am »

The engine isn't free but I've run across a few others which might be sufficent. the thing with any free or new MMORPG is getting enough base to make better versions in the future. Like Rappelz and Warcraft, they started off as low graphic versions before betting a fan base enough to make it truly great.

Keeper of:
Iroh's White Jade Tea
Bumi's Mad Genius
Sumguy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Green Thunder= pwnage

« Reply #40 on: Apr 21, 2008 10:26 am »

^I see. So you start out with simplicity and keep building on it until you create a complex game like World of Warcraft. Cool. Could you make guilds in the game like when you reach a certain level you are aloud to join the 'waterbending masters guild' or something along those lines? that would be truly ace.
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2008 10:47 am by Sumguy » Logged

otaku_ben
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

o_l_me_l_o
« Reply #41 on: Apr 21, 2008 10:30 am »

Thatwould be interesting. Like a White Lotus Society Guild. I agree that would be great. The engine I think I'm going to resort to using is the DX Studio Engine. they have a freeware version and if neccisary I'll buy the  home standard version for 50 bucks.

Right now I really need some kind of organization to all these ideas. First off I need to come up with a combat system and player profile system.

Keeper of:
Iroh's White Jade Tea
Bumi's Mad Genius
PhantasyElementz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #42 on: Apr 21, 2008 02:20 pm »

As awesome as this would be if done right, I feel pessimistic.  This is Nick we're talking about.  And as far as they're concerned, Avatar is a show for the 8-12 year old male demographic.  Or at the very least, a show primarily for kids not exceeding tween age.  So what would an MMORPG be like, considering Nick's (seriously misguided) view of the Avatar franchise?  I mean, think about it. 

Would they make it so you can kill people in the game?  If not, how could older players take it seriously?  If the rating went to T to account for the necessary violence, what would the sterotypical soccer moms do?  What would this mean for Nick, which is, in fact, a kids' channel?

Of course it could be beyond wicked awesome, IF DONE RIGHT.  Avatar has such a rich world behind it that it wouldn't be hard to flesh out a truly excellent, even groundbreaking MMORPG.  But the question is, can Nick do it right?  Would they be willing to invest in some hardcore gamemaking wizards, when they know they could just churn out a poor quality game and get almost as much money from the true fans?

Classic Book Summaries By Phantasy!

The Scarlett Letter - *angst* *shame* *romance* *shame* *angst*

The Catcher in the Rye - *angst* *angst* *angst* phonies *angst*

Hamlet - *AAAAAAANNNNNNNGGGGGSSSSSSSTT* *dead*
Bender Boy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

AVATAR, THE OFFICE, MONK, AMERICAN IDOL!

« Reply #43 on: Apr 21, 2008 02:25 pm »

What is an MMORPG

Keeper of Ding's Jumpiness!
Keeper of Old Sweepy's "Shuffle on, I get ya. No more need for 'old sweepy.'"
Keeper of Slop-A-Pow!
Keeper of Sokka's-Purple-Speedo-Like-Swimsuit in the Pheonix King!
otaku_ben
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

o_l_me_l_o
« Reply #44 on: Apr 21, 2008 03:18 pm »

MMORPG - Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game

it's a world with thousands even millions of users playing at the same time and on the same game you are. You play a personalized character and complete tasks and such.

Keeper of:
Iroh's White Jade Tea
Bumi's Mad Genius
Qi Chin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #45 on: Apr 21, 2008 03:47 pm »

As awesome as this would be if done right, I feel pessimistic.  This is Nick we're talking about.  And as far as they're concerned, Avatar is a show for the 8-12 year old male demographic.  Or at the very least, a show primarily for kids not exceeding tween age.  So what would an MMORPG be like, considering Nick's (seriously misguided) view of the Avatar franchise?  I mean, think about it. 

Would they make it so you can kill people in the game?  If not, how could older players take it seriously?  If the rating went to T to account for the necessary violence, what would the sterotypical soccer moms do?  What would this mean for Nick, which is, in fact, a kids' channel?

Of course it could be beyond wicked awesome, IF DONE RIGHT.  Avatar has such a rich world behind it that it wouldn't be hard to flesh out a truly excellent, even groundbreaking MMORPG.  But the question is, can Nick do it right?  Would they be willing to invest in some hardcore gamemaking wizards, when they know they could just churn out a poor quality game and get almost as much money from the true fans?

I wouldn't look at it that way. Nick doesn't have to be (and mostl likely isn't) the top candidate in creating such a game. Remember, there was Avatar Bobble Battles, and you killed people in there. Plus there's the games from THQ, and those are beat-'em-ups. Just because Avatar has a Y7 rating, doesn't mean games have to have one. Besides, I don't think the 8-12 demographic would be the one playing an MMORPG in the first place.

Qi

You are entitled to your own opinions, but you aren't entitled to your own facts.

"Anything that causes you to question the preconceptions you've come to love is a good thing." - Anna Helene Feulner

"There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance." - Ali Bin Abi Thalib[
Bender Boy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

AVATAR, THE OFFICE, MONK, AMERICAN IDOL!

« Reply #46 on: Apr 21, 2008 08:02 pm »

MMORPG - Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game

Oh! Haha, thanks! I'm kinda behind on those things. An MMORPG would be awesome, tho!

Keeper of Ding's Jumpiness!
Keeper of Old Sweepy's "Shuffle on, I get ya. No more need for 'old sweepy.'"
Keeper of Slop-A-Pow!
Keeper of Sokka's-Purple-Speedo-Like-Swimsuit in the Pheonix King!
Chucklez
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Why So Serious?

« Reply #47 on: Apr 24, 2008 08:32 pm »

And wouldn't it be great if every year the game creators randomly chose a user who had the ability to make a new character who was the avatar? Only ONE a year! So you can mirror the avatar's celebrity status. And this gives the MMORPG a little plot as well. Then you know, also set out a challenge for people to protect the avatar and to defeat the avatar Wink

"As you can see. I'm a lot happier!"
=)
UberTaiChi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Avi by Whitelotus, sig by ATL

FmySqirl
« Reply #48 on: Apr 24, 2008 09:52 pm »

Wow. I was skeptical of this idea at first, but hearing all these comments make the idea sound pretty sweet! I'm actually picturing it in my head over here!

Shipper of CANON
sig background by Mayekoi
Qi Chin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #49 on: Apr 25, 2008 04:30 am »

Heh, there are loads of ideas flitting around in my head. Character systems, world system, game mechanics, whatnot. I'll have to get them organized at some point.

Qi

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: