Apr 27, 2017 02:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Avatar MMORPG  (Read 37948 times)
TophFanBooi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Keeper of: Tophs evil smile from The Runaway.

« Reply #125 on: Aug 31, 2010 01:14 pm »

Great idea, i posted a fairly simmilar one, but it got locked by Icy for some reason that i can't remember right now. Born into an elemental nation (not neccesarly a bender), starts off in a small village with a few tasks etc. Pretty much like yours. And i agree, there is a few problems:
PvP: It wouldn't be fair. (3v1)

PvE content: There aren't exactly any "boss-ish" creatures, i mean sure we have the giant Lion turtle but he's a nice guy.
Im sure we can make up some but then it isn't truley Avatar-ish.

World PvP: It would once again not be fair, walking around doing a "Kill 10 of these and 2 of these because i tell you to" tasks and accidently walking into a Firebender (you are... lets say Water), what would happend? Would he / she try to kill you on the spot, like he would in ATLA or would he / she just leave you alone because you personally didn't do a thing? This leads us to the cities: The Fire Nation has one, and the other 3 elements combined have 3 right now, even more if there's still living Air Benders (Ba Sing Se, South Pole, North Pole).

Haha! Celebrating my 100'th post! Cheesy Party at my house guys!
Yay, celebrating my first 24 hours here on AvatarSpirit! Cheesy
Appayipyip
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #126 on: Sep 09, 2010 09:19 am »

why doesn't everyone pull their skills together and make it?
Theres gotta be some people who know how to design
some people who can program
and this way they cant mess it up cuz wed make it to what we want it to be.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #127 on: Sep 09, 2010 05:04 pm »

Well, to put it simply, my programming skills are worth too much to give them away for free.

Besides, if I'm going to put in the work, I'm going to work on a project I want (like a fighting game) and not a genre invented solely as a money-making gimmick (MMORPG).

Appayipyip
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #128 on: Sep 10, 2010 08:49 am »

Then why not get people who can help and create a team and make people pay when your done.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #129 on: Sep 10, 2010 05:11 pm »

That would be trademark infringement. Nickelodeon would take a dim view of someone charging people to play a game based on Avatar.

Heck, they even have the legal authority to shut down a free game, if they want.

Appayipyip
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #130 on: Sep 10, 2010 05:13 pm »

If you could what would your program it, in what language would you program it in then hypothetically? @Loopy

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #131 on: Sep 10, 2010 05:24 pm »

Well, my gaming programming is a bit limited. The only work with 3D graphics I've done is with OpenGL, which is implemented in C++, so that would be my only option. Of course, I'm old school and wouldn't mind some high-quality sprite-based graphics, especially if I was working on a fan project, in which case I'd use a development suite suited for such a thing and whatever language it supported.

flamehead23a
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

GET HYPE

« Reply #132 on: Sep 10, 2010 05:45 pm »

if the subject is still fighting games, there is that game craft software that lets anyone and everyone plug in and create their own street-fighter-esque fighting game. I've seen and played a Les Misérables themed one, and it was pretty sweet.

TAS: Finale Act II now up!
Avi and sig by D-D-D-Danger!
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #133 on: Sep 10, 2010 05:47 pm »

Probably MUGEN.

Appayipyip
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #134 on: Sep 10, 2010 09:44 pm »

@loopy, Lets say hypothetically I created the whole avatar world in AutoCAD, along with every animal, human, and accessory such as gliders, helmets, food, gloves, hair styles, ect. What would the next step be?

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #135 on: Sep 12, 2010 03:18 pm »

Well, I'm not familiar with AutoCAD's functionality, but I have heard of it. Does it allow for model animations as well? Because you'd have to make extensive animations for anything involved in combat scenarios, and simple animations for everything else. Plus, you'll need texturing, because my knowledge of AutoCAD is that is just creates "clay" models without any of the fancy effects that people expect from even last generation's video game visuals.

Of course, that's a very narrow portion of the game itself. Once you have all that, you only have the visuals. Now you have to create the game. You know, program a game world, physics, combat system, interaction points... everything, really.

Then let's say you have the whole thing done, so that you can create a character and play the game/interact with the game world. Now you need to balance everything, so that certain classes/abilities don't wreck the game. You need playtesters, so that you can find bugs, exploits, malfunctioning features, unwanted "ghost in the machine" behavior, etc. And you'll need to fix all this stuff. If you want to be professional about it, you can also gather feedback and adjust the game to adjust to what your testers enjoyed and might want to see.

Once you're "finished" and ready to publish your game, you'll need a team of moderators to manage your userbase, because there's no such thing as an unexploitable game, no matter how much testing you did. Ideally, you'd have a team of programmers constantly making new content, because MMORPG's get stale quickly, once players have already completed everything there is to do.

Of course, that's to create a good MMORPG that existing fans of the genre would want to play. If you just want something small scale for Avatar fans who understand that they shouldn't expect anything all that great, you might be able to cobble something together with an MMO-specific development suite, but I don't know of any; the genre holds no appeal to me, so I've ignored it.

Appayipyip
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #136 on: Sep 12, 2010 04:43 pm »

Thank you for not just saying its impossible but hinting it. I am asking some C++ masters (http://www.devmaster.net) if autoCAD is a possible tool for game creating. I am off to learn C++ and I will hopefully be back in the next 5-7 years with an Avatar MMORPG

If anyone would like to help in the creation of the basic standards or if programers/graphic designers would like to help visit http://mmoavatar.ucoz.com/

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #137 on: Sep 12, 2010 04:48 pm »

Special game development suites would make things doable, for a team of experienced programmers, but like I said, I'm not familiar if any exist for an MMO.

Ah, I forgot to mention, you're going to need servers. You'll have to either rent them from a service or buy your own, with needed capacity dependent on the size of your userbase and the intensity of your game tech.

Appayipyip
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #138 on: Sep 12, 2010 05:03 pm »

What is OpenGL?

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #139 on: Sep 12, 2010 05:18 pm »

Instant graphics just adding C++ programming.

Celestine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Reign of stars.

« Reply #140 on: Sep 28, 2010 02:38 am »

Such a game would be great. If it's ever made, the people behind it should study up on World of Warcraft.

No, I'm not a Blizzard geek, nor do I really care for Warcraft that much. But their's is a fully-functioning world, complete with character customization, skill customization, race-selection, quests, items of varying power, an auction house, etc. A game much like WoW, but set in the Avatarverse with models reminiscent of the animation in the show (much like that of Legends of the Arena).

As an added bonus, the player should be able to get to choose the era in which to play: pre-Sozin's War, Sozin's War, post-Sozin's War, Korra, and etc. as needed. Every time Bryke adds a new epoch to the Avatarverse, that epoch could be released on the game in the form of an expansion.

In addition to being able to choose their national origin, the player should also be able to choose from a selection of starting locations/which tribe of that nation. For example, someone choosing to be from the Earth Kingdom should be able to choose to start in a small EK village, Omashu, Ba Sing Se, etc. Someone choosing to be from the Water Tribe should be able to choose between the NWT, SWT, and Foggy Swamp tribes. And so on and so forth.

The player should also be able to choose between being a bender and being an ordinary person. Hey, we gotta show the Sokka-people some love.  Wink

Perception is everything.

Keeper of Iroh's past mistakes and Katara's laughter.

Sig by The_Elite.
NextFireBend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King Spider-Man.

« Reply #141 on: Oct 03, 2010 09:57 am »

I'd really love an MMORPG. That would be fun. But a REAL one, with awesome bending, and stuff. A whole world to travel through.

Or he watches Glee idk.
Toph Bei Master
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Huge Avatar:TLA Fan, love the Avatar Universe

« Reply #142 on: Oct 09, 2010 04:30 pm »

A 'Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game' set in the universe of the Avatat would be fantastic!

If you don't know what an MMORPG is, it's like Runescape, or World of Warcraft.

Imagine that you could start by being born into the Water Tribes, Earth kingdom, Fire Nation or Air Nomads and you could progress by travelling the world, challenging other players to Agni Kais, starting Cabbage Businesses, exploring Ba Sing Se etc...

A good MMORPG requires the creation of a giant, rich and detailed universe and i feel Avatar fits this perfectly.

Am I right?
Yeah that would be good, I think they have a game simular to that. I think it is called Avatar: Legends of the Arena.

The key to earthbending is your stance.
SaishuuHeikiKa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"You're the Avatar and I'm an idiot."

« Reply #143 on: Oct 17, 2010 08:39 pm »

speaking of which anyone know if there's somthing goin on there? I'm unable to connect to the server to play online. Is their server down? Have they killed it?

Keeper of: "Whatever" -Korra TLOK E1:812, "I told you, you have ta stop bringing your crazy fangirls in here..." TLOK E1:31:00, "You're the Avatar and I'm an idiot." -Mako TLOK E1:36:12
And Mako is a tool
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #144 on: Jul 09, 2011 05:20 am »

All I know is I want to be able to bend more than one element. or AT LEAST have 4 different characters.  one from each nation.
somethingmysterious
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Christmas present from tokotothe end. Thanks ;)

« Reply #145 on: Jul 25, 2011 03:52 pm »

speaking of which anyone know if there's somthing goin on there? I'm unable to connect to the server to play online. Is their server down? Have they killed it?

On Avatar Wikia, they said it's back up. Probably Nick got a Dai Li agent to take care of things:

"Theere is no Server problems in Legends of the Arena"

Keepin: EIP Iroh's "Prince Zuko, you must try this cake", Aang's death in 220, Azula's widow's peak and Zuko's widow's peak

To do: Change avvi and sig...
Noirsam
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #146 on: Oct 23, 2011 04:49 am »

Judging of all tweets from ArenaNet we might get a Avatar MMORPG after all.

Sig made by Dorky.
somethingmysterious
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Christmas present from tokotothe end. Thanks ;)

« Reply #147 on: Oct 24, 2011 06:28 pm »

About time

Keepin: EIP Iroh's "Prince Zuko, you must try this cake", Aang's death in 220, Azula's widow's peak and Zuko's widow's peak

To do: Change avvi and sig...
TheMist
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #148 on: Feb 27, 2012 07:17 pm »

You know if a good compay got behind it it could be the new Mass Effect.

Join the Official Legend of Korra fanclub! They have prizes!

I'm also the keeper of the Fire Nation Palace's gratuitous flame decals.
three-elements-down
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

one to go!

« Reply #149 on: Mar 03, 2012 04:07 pm »

Kinect bending. That is all.

But seriously, Kinect bending. I guess Wii and Playstation Move, or whatever its called, could work too, but here's how I would imagine Kinect bending:

It would be sort of like fruit ninja for Kinect, where it has your shadow, except when you wave your arms, for example, water would flow based on their movements. Then in game you could use a controller or Kinect for fights. Also, probending. With Kinect. kdasjf

dA | YT | t. | a-q | AW
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: