Oct 15, 2019 12:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ASN Wants Your Episode Reviews!  (Read 65460 times)
Ali Khan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #50 on: Jan 19, 2007 06:24 am »

OK, thanks, I think I'll review a bad episode now seeing as I've reviewed two good ones.
yorokei
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I will not draw as I am told

« Reply #51 on: Jan 19, 2007 01:37 pm »

Episode 211 - The Desert

Rating: B

Oh, the drama!

The gang's not having their day. Appa has been stolen by sandbenders, and now Aang, Katara, Sokka and Toph are pretty much stranded in the desert with no way out. This might not seem as much of a setting for an entire episode, but this episode does have a lot of good stuff going for it.

Of course, there is Aang, the ever-happy airbender. But not right now. Aang is now nothing like the friendly youth we have grown to love over the past episodes. And that makes sense. He has lost Appa, who to him still is the only friend from his 'old time' with the airbenders he still has. He sees Appa as his dearest friend, a companion for life, who has now been taken away from him. And Aang's going to do everything in his power to find his friend back. After accusing his other friends for not caring about Appa, he flies off in search for him. It is indeed quite surprising how the others fail to notice the importance of Appa to Aang, because they only seem to comment that 'they can't get out of the desert now'. But who knows what anyone would say in such a situation.

The rest of the episode features the search for Appa by Aang, and the rest of the group just trying to get out of the desert. During that trip, Sokka decides to drink water from a cactus, which results in the hillarious-and allready classic- cactusjuice induced hallucinations. Only a true sourpuss with no sense of humour will be able not to burst out in laughter during these hillarious scenes.

Meanwhile, the people who were sent to find Toph by her parents, now find Zuko and Iroh and decide to track them instead. But far more interesting then that, is the Pai Sho game that Iroh plays with a fellow game-lover, which reveals to us that, as Iroh allways said, there is more to Pai Sho then just a game. This adds to Iroh's mysterious backgrounds, as we learn that he knows more things then an ordinary Pai Sho player, like the secret organization that bonds all players together. Eventually, with some help, they manage to escape from the bountyhunters.

The episode ends with a final confrontation with the sandbenders, and Toph reveals that one of them stole Appa. When they learn Appa has allready been sold, a furious Aang shifts into the Avatar state, and only Katara is able to calm him down eventually. The episode closes with one of the saddest images ever: a crying Aang, who is devastated by the loss of his best friend.

'The Desert' is an interesting episode, because it shows us a side of Aang that we don't get to see very often. It is also very painfull to see how Katara is trying to help and comfort him, something in which she doesn't succeed, at least not in this episode. There was also a lot of room for talk between the characters, and because the episode wasn't focused on action too much, we got to feel the full force of the Avatar's fury. And of course, between all the drama, there's Sokka on cactus juice... which is reason alone to go watch this episode.

[Loaded - use spell check before submitting if you can, thanks! ~ Acastus]
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2007 02:43 pm by Acastus » Logged

my Toph fanfic!http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=3697.0

Weapon master of the Rasengan And the Venom Symbiote
dxzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

PHYSCOSOCIAL!

« Reply #52 on: Jan 19, 2007 02:56 pm »

my favorite episode is the one with fufucuddleypoops.  i wish they would air it more often
Zutara4ever
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

One two five... *three my lord* THREE!!

« Reply #53 on: Jan 20, 2007 11:41 am »

Episode: Zuko Alone
Grade: A

"Zuko Alone" was not an episode to be missed. Some people, even after he stopped working for the Firenation, hate Zuko. This was an episode that showed what he had to go through only to be forced into his position. After this episode you realize Zuko really isn't the bad guy- it's his father, Ozi.
      What really stood out was that there were mainly memories of his mother. It shows he was close to her and she was close to him. Never before have you seen Zuko's soft side- but now you truelly do.
        As he bonds with the young boy you see how much he truelly misses his family. He comes to realize through the episode that the war has effected everyone- including him. It seems that not one moment of his day he isn't thinking of home. He is most likely like that everyday of his life since he was banished. It really shows how deep Zuko's feelings are and why he always is mad. It's not just the Avatar anymore. It's to be back home.
       In one of the memories he gets a knife from Uncle Iroh. This symbolic knife has an inscription reading "Never Give Up Without a Fight". You see that this is Zuko's personality right out front.
        As he fights the Earthkingdom soldier he refuses to use firebending throughout the fight. Instead he uses his broadswords and tries to hide the fact that he's a Firebender from the boy. It shows he wants to maintian he friendship with the family. ithout Unle Iroh it's the closest thing he has to a family at that time. He has grown to close to the boy to let him go.
        Finally, he uses Firebending in a time of need and scares the last soldier off. The boy has been untied by his mother. The boys anger shows how little sympathy the Firenation gets. Zuko just saved his life and they tell him to get lost. as he tries to get the boy to forgive him it shows he is putting as much feeling as possible towords the boy. The knife is refused by the boy and shows that anywhere Zuko goes he is hated. Even when he himself has done nothing wrong.
         As he leaves the town you see pain hidden in his face. Just looking for someone to listen, he rides off on his ostrich-horse into the sunset.

This is my signature. I hope you like my signature becuase if you dont you'll get a tumor. Tumors are baaadddd. I also like pi. Do you like pie? Do you? DO YOU???

Zutara 4 ever- it more than my name, it my life.
Somnus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^Awesomeness by diet otaku

« Reply #54 on: Jan 21, 2007 01:12 am »

Episode: 114 "The Fortuneteller"

Grade: B+

Filler episodes are vital in keeping shows fresh so that they don't become stagnant and methodical, especially in shows that have a continuing storyline like Avatar.  Be that as it may, filler episodes can be notorious for their lack of quality when compared to regular episodes.  "The Fortuneteller", however, is a filler episode that holds true to the quality of the show, while at the same giving viewers a delightful little break from the main storyline.

Focusing on Aang's love interest with Katara, "The Fortuneteller" excellently entices viewers of the possible relationship between the two characters.  I think this episode shows that the writers truly understand a significant portion of their fan base, as they throw the proverbial bone to viewers regarding the relationship between the could-be couple.

We are introduced to Aunt Wu and her assistant Meng (who happens to have a love interest in Aang) in this episode, both of whom add considerable comedic value to the story.  Aunt Wu has to be one of the more interesting incidental characters of the series, as she has a sage-like demeanor about her while at the same time she doesn't give off a stuffy-like impression.  Very Iroh-esque.

"The Fortuneteller" is more comedy-oriented than action-orientated, as we follow the hapless but rational Sokka as he tries to deal with the content but irrational citizens of Aunt Wu's village.  We are also treated with the amusing brush-offs of Aang by Katara and Meng by Aang.  Although comedy is prevalent throughout the episode, no one can claim that the writers laid it on too thick.  "The Fortuneteller" promises to put a smile on the face of anyone who watches it.

One mustn't forget the fabulous background art in this episode either. I consider "The Fortuneteller" to have some of the best and most realistic background art of the entire series.  The grays and browns of the ground and rocks, coupled with the excellent, rich and deep greens of the trees makes a forest background that looks both realistic and beautiful.  Not to mention the detail of the buildings in the village.  A big kudos goes out to the background artists on this episode.

I wasn't too thrilled however with the lack of character development within the episode.  Filler episodes are perfect times to delve deeper into the main characters personalities.  "The Fortuneteller" more or less elaborates on what was already known or inferred about the characters in previous episodes.  I wasn't too happy about the complete absence of Zuko or Iroh either.

That doesn't take away too much from the entire episode, however.  Despite being a filler episode, "The Fortuneteller" foreshadows the role of fate in the series and gives viewers the lesson that fate is what we ourselves make of it.  The comedic situations, interesting characters, and fabulous artwork all give viewers a fine break from the more serious episodes.  A resounding success on all fronts, "The Fortuneteller" serves its intended purpose effectively with both charm and humor.

[Nice job. Loaded ~ Acastus]
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2007 02:50 pm by Acastus » Logged

Toph = STALIN!!!
Quadgurl
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Zutarian queen at your service-o

« Reply #55 on: Jan 21, 2007 09:47 pm »

Um...

Instead of just deleting my review completely, could you at least tell me what's wrong with it, or how you want me to change it? Undecided

Sokaang + Zutara = My Avatar ships Grin
Join the zutarian-empire today! http://zutarian-empire.deviantart.com
Acastus
Expert Advisor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Victim of the gelatinous cube.

« Reply #56 on: Jan 21, 2007 11:03 pm »

^ You posted your review twice, so I deleted the copy. If your review hasn't been loaded, the best thing to do is review those that have been accepted and see how they are different from yours. I'm afraid I don't have time to offer more than a line or two of feedback on each entry, and I'll only do that on reviews that are need a bit more tinkering to be accepted.

If you rework your review and think I might have missed the rework, go ahead and PM me about it so I can take another look.
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2007 11:24 am by Acastus » Logged
jman1009
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Time to face your destiny...

« Reply #57 on: Jan 23, 2007 08:41 pm »

Episode 113: The Blue Spirit

Grade: B+

Following "The Storm" a strong characterization episode comes "The Blue Spirit" an episode with a good amount of action. Once I began to review this episode I thought it to be pretty boring, but after really analyzing most of the episode I've found that it was not deserving of my initial criticism. The reason that I have not given this episode an A was for the beginning. The story starts out to slow for my taste. All in all "The Blue Spirit" contains some intense action scenes that overcome the slow beginning of the episode.

What we can determine from the beginning is that Aang is able to learn from his mistakes. I draw that conclusion from the previous episode, "The Storm." Aang is about to take his glider and fly to the medical institute, but he notices the sky is overcast and remembers how difficult it is to fly in a storm, therefore he decides to run. Though this might not seem significant it shows that Aang is a dynamic character.

Zuko, disguised as The Blue Spirit, seems to be one step ahead of the guards inside the fortress at all times. At one point he is even seen carrying a barrel of water to stop one of the guards. This appeared a little out of place to me considering that he didn't bring the barrel along with him. I doubt that he would have paused to take the time to fill up a barrel of water, especially since the place was crawling with guards.

Once Zuko releases the Avatar a desperate escape attempt ensues. This is really the climax of the episode considering it is one of the only action scenes. A small point that I would really like to analyze is near the end of the escape attempt, when Zuko threatens to kill Aang rather than let Zhao deliever him to the Fire Lord. This is where we see Zhao's excessive pride come into play. He believes that he is in full control of the situation and therefore doesn't see the danger in allowing the Avatar to escape the walls.

What puzzled me during the next scene was why Zhao waited so long to have the archer fire at the Blue Spirit. He held off his attack until the Avatar was at a four road intersection a pretty long distance away from the Fortress giving Aang plenty of time to escape.

The most shocking moment of this episode comes when Aang unmasks the Blue Spirit only to reveal the face of Prince Zuko. This unmasking further enforces alot which we already knew about Zuko's character. He will stop it nothing to restore his honor, even if it means delaying a fire nation victory. It amazes me how obsessed Zuko is with this seemingly impossible quest.

Perhaps the most symbollic moment of this episode occurs when Zuko returns to his ship. On the wall in his room is a large fire nation emblem. As Zuko goes to sleep he rolls over, turning his back on the fire nation.

[Thanks for sticking with it, loaded with a few additional edits ~ Acastus]
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2007 08:52 pm by Acastus » Logged

Sig by Sedai
Acastus
Expert Advisor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #58 on: Jan 25, 2007 08:19 pm »

Thanks for the PM's, folks. I'm a little backed up right now, and I'm headed out of town on a business trip tomorrow that will last through next week. Don't worry though, I will get back to everyone who PM'd and keep putting up good reviews!
zvko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #59 on: Jan 26, 2007 01:58 pm »

Episode 104:  The Warriors of Kyoshi
Grade:  C+

One would assume that The Warriors of Kyoshi is an insignificant episode--a filler, but that is not the case.  Kyoshi Island is revisited later on in Avatar Day (Episode 205), Suki returns for The Serpent's Pass (Episode 212), and so on.  It's also nice to hear about a previous (female) Avatar in the reincarnation cycle.

After Momo joins the team, Aang decides to make a pit stop at Kyoshi Island.  This episode introduces a few more interesting creatures-elephant koi and the massive unagi.  While the animals are nicely animated, I did have a problem with watching Aang run away from the unagi.

Next, we meet the Kyoshi warriors.  Once again, Sokka makes a sexist comment, almost getting the group into deeper trouble.  When Aang reveals his identity as the Avatar, the famous "crazy foaming guy" gets into action.  While Aang was raised as a simple monk, he can't help but to like the attention he receives from a young army of fangirls.  He's just being himself-a 12 year old kid.

One thing I like about this episode is that one melody specifically associated with Kyoshi.  We don't get to hear it again until a whole season later.  It has that graceful and classic sound that's very fitting for the Kyoshi warriors.  Nice job, The Track Team!  We also get a very short glimpse of a Hei-Bai figure in the dojo, but most people wouldn't remember or notice unless they rewatched it.

Even though Fire Nation technology is quite advanced, we find out that news still travel quickly through word of mouth.  We see that the Kyoshi warriors truly are skilled, for they took down soldiers on rhinos.  The sepia setting adds a lot to the scene, particularly when Aang decides to face Zuko-the showdown at Kyoshi.  It was rather odd that Zuko decided to run towards Aang with just a closed fist, but perhaps he assumed that the airbender wouldn't be able to deflect him (like he had done for fire blasts).  Good thing for us, though, since we get a close-up view of some Ba Gua action.  Aang moves his entire body in a circular fashion and simply brushes Zuko away using fans.

This is the first case in which we see Sokka in a romantic experience, but he quickly leaves with the gang.  Saving the island by using the unagi wasn't a very realistic event, but we have to just accept certain things.

The Warriors of Kyoshi isn't a very exciting episode, but it does have importance to the story.

Trust me, I'm a pharmacist!
Tumelu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Beware the might of my golden finger.

« Reply #60 on: Jan 27, 2007 03:06 pm »

Ok this is my first post on this forum and my review ever. Hope its what your looking for.

Jet
B-

Jet was a Sokka-centric episode that you can't always trust people, even when you share a common enemy.

The reason why I liked this episode was because it's the first time (and at the date that this review was published the only time) that Sokka single handily saved the day. This was also one of the not so common episodes where Sokka plays a bigger role than just the ideas guy and the comic relief. In terms of character development it also showed a character flaw that both Katara and Aang share i.e. their naivety. While I may be wrong, I also believe this is the only time that there has been an argument between Sokka and Katara that ended in Sokka being right.

Katara's crush on Jet received enough attention that you could actually feel Katara's heart breaking when she learned the truth but not enough that it took centre stage. It also seemed to be the basis for Katara believing Jet over Sokka (a concept which I personally would find hard to believe otherwise). The fact Aang didn't seem to mind Katara's crush at all seemed a bit strange but not completely unbelievable in the context.

One of the biggest things that happened in this episode was the introduction of Jet. At first Jet comes across as a somewhat clichéd character; he is a charismatic and skilled warrior leading a ragtag bunch of freedom fighters against the bad guys. Even if you ignore the Robin Hood references; the concept has been done. As the story unfolds Jet is revealed to be more complex than is first portrayed. While he plays the antagonist in this episode, he is not really a villain; more that he is a guy with good intentions that just went too far. This idea brings a fresh twist to a somewhat stale concept.

One downside of the episode was that the humour seemed to be somewhat below average by avatar standards. There were many attempts to be funny; nothing was really successful so while I got a couple of laughs, I didn't get nearly as much as what I usually do. Sokka, the comic relief, also just didn't seem to be as funny as what he is in most episodes.

The fight scenes were not exceptional but still satisfying. The best part was defiantly seeing a non-bender (Jet) go toe to toe with Aang for a little while.

In terms of the overall plot developement; nothing of utmost significance happened (save the introduction of Jet which is of some importance near the end of season two).

All in all, I would say that this is an episode of worth seeing, especially for fans that like seeing Sokka being more than just comic relief from time to time.
chandelier27
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm the blonde on the left. MY CABBAGES!

« Reply #61 on: Jan 30, 2007 07:50 pm »

Crossroads of Destiny A-.

This was an awesome season finale' for season 2. Although, not as much action and fighting was featured in this finale' as it was in the season 1 finale'. And, in season one, Zhao , one of the main antagonists of the season, was finally defeated. But, in season 2's finale', we don't lose a bad guy at all, but we technically get a new one; Zuko reverts back to his old ways, which is quite a bummer for zutara fans. But, there is still hope that Zuko will come back to us. Season 3 holds many promises. We look forward to finding out what happens when the earth kingdom has fallen. Because, that means that the fire nation has taken over all earth kingdom strongholds, so what will their next move be? I give this episode an A- rating. An overall good episode, with only a few dissapointments.

Chandelier27 The girl who sings WAY too much!
GO ZUTARA! GO PHANTOM OF THE OPERA! GO ME! Airbenders unite! Sing 4 the Glory of God! ne1 know how to get a picture on here? :-) BYE YA'LL!
Noodles Aang Colbert
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

o.o

« Reply #62 on: Jan 31, 2007 08:58 am »

Episode: 204 "The Swamp"

This episode opens with Aang, Katara, Sokka, Momo, and Appa riding over a swamp while something is calling to Aang and he does not even realize it. This single event transcends the mood for the entire episode and provides a deeper understand not only about the Avatar, but the other characters as well.  This is true more so for Aang, Katara, and Sokka than any of the other characters. 

The idea of the swamp being one living thing allows agreat understanding of the connection of the entire world, the connection between the spirit world and the physical world, and conections between the current Avatar and past Avatar's.  The sybolism of the swamp proides that when the group first enters the swamp their minds are well swampy.  They each have things that are not clear to them.  Aang in particular is uncertain of King Bumi's words  in episode 203: "Your teacher will be someone who has mastered neutral jin.  You need to find someone who waits and listens before striking."  After this Aang realizes who, at least by image, that is.  As they leave the swamp things will become clearer and less, well for a lack of better words swampy.

While in the swamp Momo and Appa are sent on a journey of their own.  They encounter a group of waterbenders and they try to hunt Appa and Momo so that they can have some food to eat outside of their current diet.  Appa does most of the work here as he and Momo try to escape from the waterbenders, but in the end they are temporarily captured.

Aang has the most interesting development in this episode.  During the portion of the episode that he, Katara, and Sokka are separated, Aang sees someone that he has not met yet.  There is a girl whom he tries to follow and yet he does not find out who she is.  In future episodes we will learn that this is Toph, which I feel is a great use of foreshadowing, which is one of the many outstanding elements used during the series.

Katara gives us the only glimpse of her and Sokka's mother.  Although it is a blurry image the words are much more important in that we understand that Katara and Sokka loved their mother and that she had passed away. 

Sokka sees a vision of Yue, who gave her life to the moon spirit, and tries to run after her.  Both Sokka and Katara had seen visions of someone that has passed away and demonstrate that they have not given up their feeling on the past.

The other characters that we get to know is the waterbenders.  Here we see waterbenders that live in the swamp area and provide us with a different angle of the typical waterbender that we have come to know.  I really like the diversity that is shown here and again an angle that we will see more extensively with the Eath Kingdom.

Fast forward a little bit to another great scene where Aang, Sokka, and Katara are fighting the "swamp monster" which happens to be a waterbender named Hue.  Hue explains that the swamp is actually one tree and that the entire world is living and breathing together, which is exactly what the job of the Avatar is, to balance the four elements and four nations as one.  Aang learns that everything is connected and uses his newly acquired knowledge to find Appa and Momo. 

« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2007 10:59 am by Noodles Aang Colbert » Logged

kitahikaru
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Set By storm-of-insanity

« Reply #63 on: Feb 08, 2007 06:23 pm »

Episode 218: The Earth King

One of my favorite episodes so far in the series, The Earth King proves to be one of the most climatic endings to the second season of our beloved series. We suspected something similar to what we saw would happen, of course, yet I suspected something totally different than the GaAng finding Appa and getting the Earth King on their side; the Dai Li was my biggest doubt at the time. Much questions were answered for me in this episode, and some were causing me to go wild with confusion and questioning thoughts that go through my mind after each new episode.

For one, the beginning. Why did Toph actually shout out at Sokka about being brainwashed? Just due to the fact that he was once being logical? Well, I did believe her on that part. Sokka might be brainwashed still and we don't know it. Of course, no sign has shown that he actually is, which is quite good. For one, the Dai Li wouldn't be able to reach him; Sokka is leaving Bai Sing Se to find his father. It would highly be impossible for the Dai Li to control a brainwashed person that far off from the city, unless they followed him.

Long Feng is one of the most mysterious characters in the series, besides a few side characters. He is cruel, clever, witty, and downright devilish. For how else can Bai Sing Se be perfect without an 'inside villain?' That is a question that I asked myself throughout the episode, and it hit me at the end. The villain keeps the city perfect by controlling it, obviously. I know, it seems I am slow at this thought, but it was the only solution that I had come up with at the moment, and I followed it, all the way through. Now he is in jail, I gave much joy and glee to the fact Bai Sing Se was safe. But it isn't for long; just as the Dai Li agent foreshadowed.

Katara and Aang are something I want to get out of the way. You could tell that Aang was struck with pain and sorrow when Katara suggested to split up, but it is the only way for all of them to achieve what goals they need to. Katara seemed to be just as hurt as Aang was, foreshadowing even more romance for the two. I know many hope it is Zutara, but that is something that is quite impossible. At the end, how Katara just turned and gave Aang that hug and kiss on the cheek; that proved to me that the creators are planning something for the two. I'd believe it.

Toph is one of my all-time favorite characters, and her being captured by Xin Fu and her past Earthbending teacher made me feel like there was something more to why she was captured. Maybe she learns something along the way, or her parents actually find out how strong she truly is. We might find out Toph has a secret power, or even better, that she is the greatest Earthbender that ever lived, as she believes she is. We'll have to wait and see.

The Kyoshi Warriors towards the end gave me a great scare. I knew who they were when I saw the style of their hair from behind. They weren't the real Kyoshi Warriors, obviously. They were Princess Azula, Mai, and Ty Lee. I knew something like this had happened since we hadn't seen or heard from them or Suki since Appa's Lost Days. And that was a reflecting episode. The attack Azula, Mai, and Ty Lee gave on the Kyoshi Warriors had to have been weeks before the GaAng actually heard about the Earth King's party. It seemed plausible at the time, but no one can be entirely sure due to the fact that Avatar does not give us a thorough timeline.

All-in-all, I enjoyed this episode to the fullest. The mystery, the excitement, the adventure; it all kept me on my toes. The battle at the beginning was just the way to get me going for the season finale and season three. Hopefully Avatar will continue to live up to its expectations as it did in this episode.

Keeper of Kataang, Katara's Bravery Mark, and Aang's Sky Note to Katara
The Avatar's Daughters
HeirToPendragon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #64 on: Feb 18, 2007 12:08 am »

Sorry to post another review for this episode, but all my other choices would never be under 750. So here we go.

Tales of Ba Sing Se:
Grade: A-

Let's pick at the brains of Brian and Mike. Clearly these are men who have hundreds are stories they could tell about the gang's trials in Ba Sing Se. But here is the main problem, the season is nearly over and they must end Ba Sing Se's story in only 5 more episodes. So instead of a 30 episode season, Nick has presented us with a series of short stories. The good news they aren't all that bad.

I'm limited to 750 words, so I'll only briefly explain the "minus" and then move on to the "A".

I only have one X chromosome, so the girls' day story was a bit lost on me. However, what that story brings is actual depth to Toph. You know, characterization. Up until this point she barely even shows herself or gives a speaking roll, clear examples being The Drill and The Library. So it's nice to see the writers actually give Toph her own persona beyond that of "the earthbender that joins the gang". Individual Grade: B+

The Tale of Aang left me with no real emotion. While it was nice to see Aang actually use his earthbending, the story seemed to be put in this episode because it could. Little actual character development, some decent political commentary, but really it ended up being sort of a distraction. Individual Grade: B-

There is a reason I don't watch MTV. Thank you Nickelodeon for forcing upon me a reminder. Sokka's tale is the reason the fast forward option was invented. I'll give the writers some credit though, those Haiku's probably took a nice amount of time. Individual Grade: D+

Zuko's tale is a great way to once again visit inside the head of Zuko. Zuko, the banished prince, forced to take up refuge in the kingdom of his enemy. During book two Zuko became a main character more so than Aang. The writers worked hard to show the struggles Zuko has in Ba Sing Se within a five minute time span, and they did it very well. While Zuko doesn't want to adjust to Ba Sing Se, he is forced into doing so and as such his character is forced to develop beyond that of the brooding lone warrior. Basco's voice talents shine brightly during this episode. Even without a picture Basco's tone is able to tell Zuko's inner emotional turmoil. Indivudual Grade: A

Momo's tale has the problem of trying to both convey sadness but also present action and comedy. It becomes too cluttered in the process even if the story itself does flow well. I'm impressed by the artist's work with Momo. He does present the feelings of sadness very well, like a dog who knows its master is in pain. Individual Grade: B+

And now for the reason why I give the episode, as a whole, an "A". Many diehard fans may be wondering why Iroh's story is at the bottom. The main reason is that I wanted to make sure I knew exactly how many words I have left. 255, more than enough. Iroh's story was phenomenal. While the earthbending soccer game could be left out all together, the story was told perfectly. With each new scene Iroh's character definition as the wise old teacher becomes more apparent.

Iroh has always been a favored character, maybe it's because of his nihilistic attitude or his supreme power hidden behind an elderly mask. In a time of war, Iroh stands out as the reason for hope. A beacon of kindness to come from the Fire Nation.

Iroh's song during his tale is sung very well for an old man who would later die of esophageal cancer. It is sung once to soothe an upset child, and sung again to soothe the broken heart of an elderly man. The song is even distorted by the sobs breaking though the singer's words. Mako's voice acting can't be replaced in this respect, and a dedication to him could not come through in a better story. Individual Grade: A+

I didn't hit a full 750, but the episode must speak for itself. The talents of these writers are wasted if due respect is not given. The episode gives hope back to American animation, with the hopes that Nickelodeon has finally come to their senses about what good writing requires.
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2007 12:12 am by HeirToPendragon » Logged
resaang
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #65 on: Mar 13, 2007 06:56 pm »

Episode 105: The King of Omashu

Rating: B-

This episode is great for relaxation and a good laugh all around. All the jokes are original and play out well. Also, the introduction of two new characters add base to the rest of the story. First, my personal favorite, the first appearence of the cabbage merhcant. He works so hard to sell his cabbages, but everything always goes wrong. Second, is the mysterious and lunatic of a king. In the beginning he seems normal, untill he throws a feast for the criminals and puts them in a nice prison hold. Lastly, the greatest humor, is the whole ride down the giant superslide. Crashing into various things, and my favorite, surprising the earth kingdom soldiers who are going off to combat soon.

The rest of the plot plays very well. It gives Aang a chance to bond with his newfound friends Sokka and Katara. Aang must rescue his friends over the course of three dangerous yet silly challenges. In the end, the crazy king turns out to be not so crazy, and Aang is reunited with his long lost friend.

This episode isnt so good as to put it in an avatar hall of fame. But I would send it to the avatar Refurbished Chamber that was once Bad!!!

-Res

keeper of every word ever spoken in an avatar episode. (yea i watch it that much)
keeper of the knowledgeseekers.
keeper of cactus juice =).
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Monk's Gone Wild (IZ TEH BIGGEST ZUTARIAN ON ASN)

« Reply #66 on: Mar 16, 2007 10:59 pm »

Tales of Ba Sing Se
Grade: B-

It wasn't that of an episode. Most of the episodes in season 2 were related to the whole point of the season: Ba Sing Se and Toph. It was more of a filler, and just to confuse everyone through shipping and everything. The might have needed a filler so they had enough time for the finally.  Shipping went crazy and i was a little disappointed. 

Episode Deatils
Katara and Toph: hm....that part was okay. it was alright. nothing special and nothing plot related. just enteraining to see toph pretty. that part would be a C+

Aang: um...it was alright too. Aang's bending skillz was pretty impressive. i kinda liked it. The cabbage merchant is what got Aang's part from D+ to C. the ending and bending skillz gave that part a B-

Sokka: there was no point, but i loved it! sokka's rapping skillz are truly amazing!! it made me laugh and was really entertaining. since there was no plot in it...A-. i am very tough when it cfomes to ratings. *smirks

Iroh: it told huge parts of Iroh and Mako. no plot...but it made me cry. honestly, it made me cry. A+. it was truly beautiful.

Zuko: I was not impressed with it that much. The Jin and everything and me being a zutarian, didn't work out. not impressed iwth the kiss part that firebending was cool. i would give it a C-. i am mean  Wink

Momo: it was...intresting. it was plot related, and kinda cute. and sad. it didn't make me cry, but i would give that part an A-. it was good.

OVERALL: an okay episode.

Keeper of Aang discovering he had hair, Zuko&Katara first mission together

I thanked everyone who made me icon/sig on DA. General/Commander AA22 of the Zutarmy. Master of the weapon Zutaratana!
Acastus
Expert Advisor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #67 on: Mar 17, 2007 02:58 pm »

Hey folks, please no more reviews on episode 215, "The Tales of Ba Sing Se", the one above brings us to about four or five submissions and there are many episodes that don't have any yet. Be original and pick a lonely episode and give it some love - or some healthy criticism!
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Monk's Gone Wild (IZ TEH BIGGEST ZUTARIAN ON ASN)

« Reply #68 on: Mar 18, 2007 11:28 am »

Sorry Acastus!!  Sad

well, the creators did work hard!

Keeper of Aang discovering he had hair, Zuko&Katara first mission together

I thanked everyone who made me icon/sig on DA. General/Commander AA22 of the Zutarmy. Master of the weapon Zutaratana!
Kaiser Avatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #69 on: Apr 08, 2007 04:30 pm »

I noticed that you had no review of "The Avatar Returns", so I wrote one up.  Hope you like it Cheesy

The Avatar Returns

The first two chapters of "Avatar: The Last Airbender" are easily seen as the exposition to the great story.  Like an exposition on a story map is supposed to do, the characters, setting, and plot are introduced and explained.  The characters being the protagonist group: Aang, Katara, and Sokka.  And the antagonist group: Prince Zuko, and Uncle Iroh.  The setting is of course a world in conflict, and the plot is of course that the Avatar has returned (hopefully to save the Earth.)

"The Avatar Returns" picks up directly from where "The Boy in the Iceberg" left off, with Aang being banished from the Water Tribe village for the events he triggered in the last chapter.  Following that is possibly the best introduction to a Fire Navy Ship (like there's been that many) in the series.  It's a chilling sight to witness David vs Goliath, Sokka stands on the "defense wall" as a titanic monster of iron emerges from the fog.  The animation and music throughout this scene perfectly sets up Prince Zuko's inevitable arrival.

In order to save the village from Zuko's wrath, Aang reveals himself as the Avatar and agrees to go with the exiled Prince.  Zuko just oozes awesomeness with all of his lines throughout this episode, especially when exchanging with Aang, so special kudos to Dante Basco.  The animation is very well done in this episode as well; it especially shines in the brawl between Protagonist and Antagonist.  It is well choreographed with some awesome looking martial arts moves throughout.  The music is also especially great throughout the chapter, but like the animation, is best during the Aang vs Zuko scenes.

A noteworthy mention goes to Iroh, and his great voice artist, Mako.  Despite the fact that the retired General doesn't get that many scenes, the ones that he is in are splendid.  I especially liked his look when he awoke and came out to the deck to see a giant snow white bison fly off into the sky.

The color scheme throughout most the episode is a polar blue, which matches the Arctic setting.  It is pulled off well most of the time, and I'm glad it wasn't too over the top since we see so much of it.  Fire Red was used for the interior of Zuko's ship, which also fits the location.  The last color scheme that was pulled off was a sun set orange for the closing scenes.  This is more in contrast with what we will see from the rest of the Season.

Overall, "The Avatar Returns" does a great job of winding up the conflicts for our young gang.  It also does a splendid job to show us the personalities of both our Protagonists and our Antagonists.  Something that sets the Avatar series apart from others is that the "bad guys" are well set up and in some episodes they end up stealing the show because of their great personalities.  Even in this early stage you know that there is more to Prince Zuko then meets the eye.  "The Avatar Returns" remains an episode with few, if any faults, but nothing too spectacular.  For that reason, I give it a well earned A-.

Word Count: Around 530 words.

I am faster than 80% of snakes.
Kaiser Avatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #70 on: Apr 14, 2007 09:28 am »

Thank you Acastus for putting up my review, though it still says "Reviews (0)" but thats fine.  The Southern Air Temple also doesn't have anything done for it so, here you go:

The Southern Air Temple
Rating: B+

At first when I saw the trailers for a show called "Avatar: The Last Airbender" I thought that Nick was having a type of original movie done in an anime style and with a heavy Asian influence.  I accidentally missed it (can't remember why) so I decided to simply turn in the next time it aired.  But then I saw another trailer advertising the next episode in the series.  I was a bit disappointed to know that it wasn't a full length movie, but I was also happy that Nickelodeon finally had what promised to be a quality series that I could follow.

"The Southern Air Temple" (originally going to be titled "Aang goes Home") was thus the first episode I saw, and while it definitely isn't the best of Book 1, it still is quite good when compared to many other episodes.  Aang insists on going back to the Air Nomad Temple where he grew up to see if any Air Benders are remaining...but we all know there won't be any because we cleverly read the show title.  The secondary plot involves Zuko and Iroh who dock at Commander Zhao's port to make repairs to their ship (damaged by Aang, or more technically, an avalanche caused by Aang.) 

The protagonist story takes up most of the episode and we learn a little bit about Aang's past; mostly about his teacher, Monk Gyatso, and how he was told about his destiny a little too early.  More of this is cleared up in "The Storm".  This storyline varies between happy, sad, and angry.  Aang is very happy to be home, he is sad that no one lives there anymore, and then he is angry when he finds out that Fire Benders killed Monk Gyatso.  The music fits perfectly with all these different moods, so great job Track Team.

Zuko's story is a much drastic turn.  While Aang's scenes are dazzled is brilliant polar white, Zuko and Iroh's are bathed in blood red.  But it all makes sense since it is the Fire Nation, which is heavily associated with...you guessed it: Fire.  Speaking of the Fire Nation, this is the first episode where we actually learn about its culture.  They sure like their ironclad ships, a rather modern scar in a very ancient world.  We also see the first Agni Kai, or Fire Duel, which is basically a challenge made by two Fire Benders.

The Agni Kai between Zuko and Zhao is handled splendidly well with fast, powerful attacks and a great music score to match.  It remains as one of my favorite scenes in the first season and like most of the fights in Avatar there is a good sense of danger, something that is rare with kid's shows.

Another scene that sticks out in this episode is the first time where Aang's Avatar State is handled in a dangerous way.  We get a true sense of power in the young boy that wasn't seen before in the last episode, which handled the Avatar State as more of a "power up".  His glowing eyes and tattoos also give for an ominous visage that looks almost creepy on the fun-loving boy.

But I'd by lying if I said this episode didn't have its faults.  The most obvious for the first or second view is that the story moves rather slowly.  For a plot that is also kinda dull at certain parts, this can make for a very little re-watch value.  The second fault, and one that becomes very obvious after a few viewings, is that the animation, while smooth, gets some basic features on the characters wrong.  Katara's eyes in one scene look nothing like they should, and when Iroh is disgracing Zhao his eyes are way too far apart.

At the very end of the episode, we see Aang and his friends leaving the Southern Air Temple.  During that scene is a very unusual cloud formation above the temple with what looks like a dragon and a man.  Until you see the episode "The Spirit World", you wont know what this means, but it is actually Avatar Roku and his Dragon.  Either it means that Roku is watching Aang from the Spirit World, or it means that the animators decided to have a little fun.  You decide.

I am faster than 80% of snakes.
tokogawa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Winter, spring, summer,and fall...

« Reply #71 on: Apr 16, 2007 10:35 pm »

Episode 201:The Avatar State

Grade:A

This episode ,which started off the second Book, is one I have yet to see examined,but is in my opinion very good.Here we have the first possibility of a short cut through learning all the elements. Aang,since he has only a few months left ,is tempted to master the Avatar state and end the war quickly. However, like most short cuts this one is'nt half as easy as it seems.Aang goes through several different trials, which are pure comedy and all fail.The General who is persuading Aang to do this ends up being a complete lunatic who attacks him. In the end we see that he is forcing his development and thus hurting himself,but he does comes out with the lesson of power and it's risks.

Zuko, as always, is going through a little development himself.He is visited by his sister Azula who makes her debut.She is a very sly,underhanded girl who from the beginning breaks the classic Princess mold. She is seen disrespecting Uncle and breaking one of his shells, a clear sign of her antagonist character.At the same time she is soothing almost methodical when talking to Zuko, pulling him in. She creates a rift between the teacher and his student, forcing Zuko to chastise his (rightfully) cautious uncle. Uncle loves Zuko too much,so he decides to go against his own better judgement and joins him on Azula's ship.
Well,Azula double crosses Zuko and nearly brings him back to the Fire nation in chains.His development is seemingly also rushed, he is not ready to return to his home. He learns this lesson at the cost of his royal topknot.Many of the plot factors begun in this episode are resolved only at the season's end.
I give this episode an A because it begins a series of events that lead to the Cross Roads Of Destiny. In some ways it reminds us that Zuko and Aang are adolescents, who dispite their powers are still growing.
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2007 10:41 pm by tokogawa » Logged

The Autumn Throne
Camellia
You are welcome to read poetry in The Dances Of A Wind-Swept Fire
Lisa31468
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #72 on: Apr 23, 2007 07:13 pm »

Forgive my ignorance but where on the ASN site do we go to check and see which episodes have not yet been reviewed? Thanks.
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #73 on: Apr 23, 2007 08:42 pm »

Forgive my ignorance but where on the ASN site do we go to check and see which episodes have not yet been reviewed? Thanks.

Episode Guide, on the main site Smiley

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
Lisa31468
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #74 on: Apr 23, 2007 10:11 pm »

Cool thanks!  Grin
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: