Dec 17, 2017 11:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:

Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [209] Bitter Work  (Read 28066 times)
Pandora
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Jun 02, 2006 06:22 pm »

Official Description: When Aang struggles with a block while trying to learn Earthbending from Toph, he wonders if the problem is with him or his teacher. Meanwhile, Sokka gets himself in a jam.

Discuss anything from this episode here.
Zarr
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Jun 02, 2006 07:30 pm »

Nice one. Good to see Aang got over his block. And the Zuko thing was pretty nifty. An hey, looks like Iroh was too good a character to kill off after all. But what kind of ending was that? He didn't even get hit. Humph.

Haha, signature. What? Yeah.
Firelord Sunny
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yip yip!

ladymecha
« Reply #2 on: Jun 02, 2006 07:34 pm »

I really liked this episode
Toph's tough love technique makes her very interesting, it gives Aang a challenge so that he can learn... and he did.
As for Zuko his desparation is getting more and more apparent, he wants to be stronger and powerful, to finally defeat his twisted sister.
But Iroh is right, Zuko has too much of a struggle in him thus why he doesnt go that far in his firebending... but I am glad that iroh is alive, it really had me there ^.^;;

Space, the final frontier...
These are the voyages of the flying bison Appa.
His ongoing mission, to explore strange new worlds,
To help Aang seek out new bending masters and escape the firenation.
To boldy go where no flying bison has gone before...

Keeper of Davros' frozen head
Robot Mule
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Turba, Cunfusio, Inordinatum

« Reply #3 on: Jun 02, 2006 07:35 pm »

That my friends, was really really cool/sad/funny/adjectivy! I didn't think Zuko could cry! I didn't even think he had tear glands! I'm glas Iroh's okay, he's too kick-ass to die. Weren't the flashbacks cool!

http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=460.msg893373#msg893373
By reading this signature I have wasted SECONDS of your time you will never get back. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!
High Elemental
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Searching for My True Steak

« Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 2006 07:41 pm »

The only complaint I still have with this show is Sokka, he's barely changed at all from Episode 1 and is just a butt of every joke. Even after Yue died Sokka was barely affected by it, he needs some character development now! Anyway it was pretty good, I was more interested in Zuko and Iroh though, with Iroh's explanation of the 4 nations and even a flashback with him and his son. The Sokka-bashing really brought down my interest in Aang's training though.
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2006 07:48 pm by High Elemental » Logged

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

~Avatar Rules~

orlandolover3434
« Reply #5 on: Jun 02, 2006 07:49 pm »

Wow. Cheesy What a great episode. Simply amazing. Very touching. I am also glad that Uncle Iroh is alive and well, but that flash back was a tear jerker :'(. And Zuko, only a true man can cry! LOL. Ah poor Sokka...gotta love him! I liked the way Toph taught Aang, very different from Katara, kind of refreshing.  Only sad thing is now we have to wait, darn Nick and its "Summer Movies"!

Banner made by Quadgurl.
Karen
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

karenthegroomer@yahoo.ca
« Reply #6 on: Jun 02, 2006 07:51 pm »

Smiley I can't wait to see this one!. Will there be screenshots and an episode summary soon?.Huh

Lieselle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

" 'OH MY GOD, NO WAI!' 'OH MY GOD, YES WAI!' "

Lady+Liesl+99
« Reply #7 on: Jun 02, 2006 07:55 pm »

.....after seeing this eppisode, I have decided to focible have a mouse and a mountain lion reprodice a child--and I shall call it Fufu Cuddly Poops. OMFG!! I LOVED Fufu Cuddly Poops! The eppisode was good, i love how Toph started clapping after wards. I was kinda mad at her throughtout the eppisode--but I'm glad she didnt butt in when they were in trouble so Aang could figuer it out for himself.
« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2006 10:37 am by Lieselle » Logged

Acastus
Expert Advisor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Victim of the gelatinous cube.

« Reply #8 on: Jun 02, 2006 07:58 pm »

Smiley I can't wait to see this one!. Will there be screenshots and an episode summary soon?.Huh

We'll get screens up tonight. The transcript will take longer though. Those take about eight to ten hours a piece depending on how much description is required.

On topic - this episode rocked. Iroh is my hero. Oops, I've said that before, haven't I?
Kanelle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: Jun 02, 2006 08:03 pm »

People who have alot of Pride usually try not to cry... Maybe the ending is showing a slight sign of him starting to learn the meaning of humility?

Neither fire nor wind, birth nor death can erase our good deeds.
--Buddha
MonCapitan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Mmm.. Redheads

« Reply #10 on: Jun 02, 2006 08:10 pm »

Nice one. Good to see Aang got over his block. And the Zuko thing was pretty nifty. An hey, looks like Iroh was too good a character to kill off after all. But what kind of ending was that? He didn't even get hit. Humph.
It wasn't about him getting hit with lightning.  If you notice there is a close up or his eye when he starts to cry.  I think his time at the mountant will prove to be a cathartic experience.

Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population
someone198
« Reply #11 on: Jun 02, 2006 08:17 pm »

One of the greatest endings ever. Zuko's officially lost it. You don't get any crazier than standing on a mountaintop during a thunderstorm and daring God to smite you. Such an outburst and emotional overload is usually followed by an emotional crash; I bet after that will come the point when Zuko will start to change, consciously.

Loved Aang's story this time actually as much as Zuko's, possibly a first, but Sokka's bipolot forced me not to rate this a perfect ten. The Season 2 Let's-pick-on-Sokka tradition got old long before now. I hope the writers jump off the comic-relief-character bandwagon and get back to the realistic side of Sokka from Jet, Bato of the Water Tribe, and Siege of the North; I prefer the struggling, growing character to the practical joke fall guy.
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2006 08:21 pm by someone198 » Logged
Big T
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Jun 02, 2006 08:20 pm »

I truly enjoyed this episode. Main points I loved:

-Iroh is not dead. Of course, I never doubted the guy for a second. He is simply too awesome.

-Toph's training. It is completely different from that of Katara's and, yet, just as effective. I can understand why some people would be mad with her way of teaching. I, on the other hand, found it perfect, not only for her personality, but for earthbending in general. Not all teachers and hugs and kisses, after all. I was pleased that she stood back and let Aang discover that he could do things on his own.

I was reminded of the Karate Kid movies, with Daniel and Mr. Miyagi. Aang is looking forward to training only to discover that it is not as easy as he thought it would be.

Wax on, wax off, Aang-san

-The word Sifu. Much love. ^_^

-Iroh and his training with Zuko is simply amazing. His words about the four elements, as well as the people living in those nations, was well-written and very wise.

The only thing I could change about "Bitter Work" is Sokka. I agree that he is being relegated to the butt of all jokes. I would not have him any other way, but at least one serious episode to do the warrior justice would be nice. I think one is on the way, however. After all, there is the chance Sokka and Katara will run into their father. What will happen there, I wonder?

All in all, great episode. Now I have to wait, impatiently, for July 14 and the movie.

Banner by Chong
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: Jun 02, 2006 09:12 pm »

Did anyone catch the little smirk Zuko gave whe Iroh mentioned he learned a move from the waterbenders?  I wondered what that was about.
Crazy4Avatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Jun 02, 2006 09:22 pm »

Did anyone catch the little smirk Zuko gave whe Iroh mentioned he learned a move from the waterbenders?  I wondered what that was about.

Well aren't fire and water opposing elements? Maybe Zuko's smirk had something to do with that. He may have fealt it ironic that a fire technic could be developed by studying water...maybe.

Keeper of Lord Momo's cape, Appa's New Saddle, & Aang's New Glider.
Krahe
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Full of bees.

Casket0seduction
« Reply #15 on: Jun 02, 2006 09:27 pm »

I have much love for this episode.  

I loved Toph's training methods.  She's not going to take Aang's training lightly, which means he won't be able to slack like he did when he 'learned' waterbending at the North Pole.  I also liked how Toph only rewarded/praised Aang when he did something worth rewarding/praising.  If Aang does responds to praise as well as Katara said, he's going to have to work twice as hard to get any from Toph.

Zuko and Iroh's screen time was wonderful.  I'm glad that Iroh's going to be all right; he seems to bounce back quickly.  The flashbacks showing Iroh playing with his son were very touching, as was the promise Iroh made to "See him again soon."  Zuko's training was a highlight as well.  His reaction to not being able to produce lighting showed how troubled he is, namely with the comment that it keeps blowing up in his face "Just like everything else."  It's obvious that he's going to have to face some very painful emotions in the future.  I have no words to describe the ending; it really stuck me, and it showed how desperate Zuko is becoming.  That scene is now one of my favorites.  Zuko standing on top of a mountain, screaming at the heavens, daring them to strike him was very powerful, especially when he began to cry.  Simply amazing.

The only issue I have with this episode is Sokka.  Out of all the characters, he is the most flat, and that is caused by a lack of depth and character development.  I understand that Sokka is used to lighten the mood of what can be a very serious and dark show, but when there seems to have been no substantial development it gets a bit tiresome.

Overall, this was a wonderful episode.  But Sokka needs some development.
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2006 09:31 pm by Krahe » Logged

Poisoned and hopeless.  Sleeping beauty.

Keeper of Zuko's bare, sweaty torso.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Jun 02, 2006 09:37 pm »

Well aren't fire and water opposing elements? Maybe Zuko's smirk had something to do with that. He may have fealt it ironic that a fire technic could be developed by studying water...maybe.

My sister thought that Zuko was thinking of Katara when Iroh said that line about the water tribe.  She brought up all the times when Zuko used her to get to Aang.  I don't buy it, but it would be interesting.  I'll admit I kinda want it to happen, but I'm not an optimisitic person.  Any thoughts?
Acastus
Expert Advisor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Victim of the gelatinous cube.

« Reply #17 on: Jun 02, 2006 10:04 pm »

690 screenshots posted for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy!
Ashes
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

redstar312@hotmail.com pnksqrrl318 pnksqrrl315
« Reply #18 on: Jun 02, 2006 10:34 pm »

Pretty good episode.. lol poor sokka   Grin he is soo funny in this one ..Fuddly Cuddly Poops..
I was hoping that maybe Zuko would learn to use lighting by the end of the show but i guess not this episode.. it will be very intresting to see him and Azula fight once he learns....

Nat
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I haven't given up hope yet. ;_;

darthnat@hotmail.com charaznable26
« Reply #19 on: Jun 02, 2006 11:20 pm »

The first thing I said after seeing this episode was "Oh Zuko, you are so emo."

I enjoyed the scenes where Toph trained Aang as well.  She's definitely different than Katara and almost seems abrasive and downright mean at times, but by the end it's obvious that she was trying to get him to be less wishy-washy about everything.  She's the relentless drill sergeant to Katara's kind, understanding elementary school teacher that will pat you on the back after every single thing you do.  And there's nothing wrong with that.  It worked in the end, after all, and it's obvious that Aang is going to have to be more alert and attentive and perhaps less relaxed around Toph when she's teaching him than he is around Katara.  I'm glad they didn't portray her as another kind, understanding teacher.

I'm glad to see that Iroh is essentially all right, even if I thought they'd go a much different direction with it.  His line about Azula being crazy and needing to be taken down was great.  I'm also glad that they didn't turn Zuko into a super bender just because he's a main focus.  I liked how his training paralleled Aang's in this episode.

All in all, it was a great episode that I enjoyed.  I can't help but want less Zuko and Iroh, though.  Yes, I know, I speak blasphemy, but...  Jesus, give us some development for other main characters.  Like Sokka.

someone198
« Reply #20 on: Jun 02, 2006 11:25 pm »

Okay, what does "emo" mean? It can't be short for emotional; people use the phrase to refer to Mai all the time. Could someone fill me in? Please and thank you.
Nat
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I haven't given up hope yet. ;_;

darthnat@hotmail.com charaznable26
« Reply #21 on: Jun 02, 2006 11:34 pm »

Someone who is very mopey and self-absorbed when it comes to their perceived hardships.  Oftentimes they totally overblow how bad their lives are.  That's not really the case for Zuko, so I meant it as more of a joke.

Bleeding_Aurora
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

by: neitherday

« Reply #22 on: Jun 02, 2006 11:38 pm »

Wow, that was pretty good. I liked it.

Well, at first, like I said in the discussion thread earlier this week, I really didn't expect to see Zuko or Iroh. Therefore when they had intoduced them in the first five minutes, I was rather upset. It felt like the tension they'd built up had been popped in one very anticlimatic opening, but of course as things normally go, I was wrong!

Okay, I'm going to get to my Zuko rants soon, but first I'd like to comment on Toph. What a wonderful teacher. Wouldn't you like to have her by your side helping you with something? <cough> Yeah, right. But actually she had a very good method, for Aang at the very least. Aang was used to his 'Sifu' Katara (Yay! I liked the use of that in the episode... ) being nice and giving him praise for every little thing, and he wasn't used to shock therapy. Now, if I remember correctly, didn't Iroh comment in this episode that Earth Benders were strong? Well, that's sorta what (IMO of course) Toph was trying to teach Aang, you must be both physically and mentally strong in order to bend earth, meaning you've gotta roll with the... boulders, even if it gets you down (Literally). She's a very good teacher. I'm interested to see the next interaction between the two of them.

Sokka! Wow, he made a VERY cute friend. My favorite comment, "You're very cute, but unfortuantely, you're made of meat." I thought it was funny. The whole him saying he'd turn vegetarian and not use sarcasm, and then Aang shows up and he's like, "You got meat?". Now, I must admit, it does get kinda boring and overused, but I don't mind it too much, but there are those episodes where I just abhor the whole Sokka the Idiot thing, however, this wasn't one of them... for me that is.

Now, what I've been wanting to get to since I finished watching the episde. ZUKO!! <fangirlsqueal> Okay, I'm done. Well, wow. So, Iroh's okay, that's good, and I loved how he was like,
       Zuko: "I know what you're thinking, that we're brother and sister and that we need to get along,"
      Iroh: "No, she's crazy and she needs to be taken down." 
That right there was pure gold. The training was also very cool. Iroh is so rocking. Hehe... Zuko has no sense of humor. That's pretty sad.

Now, I may address the rock scene. This is totally my opinion though, but I think that, everything Zuko has gone through in his lifetime just mounted to overwhelming and that's why he went off and said he was going to find the lightning. I don't think he ever wanted to redirect that lightning when he was up there, he was venting. From this we can see that he blamed everything that had happened to him on the world. He believes that the world is opposed to him, and on that rock, he was willing to die. He wanted to die, well, not really, he was pushing mother nature in that direction. And when it became too much he let it out. My favorite line from him, "You've never held back before... just do it!" (Or something to that extent). That whole scene was just him backlashing at what he thought was the blame of everything that had wronged him. This right here, actually proves to be very interesting pivoting point for his story though. So, I'm very interested to see how this plays out. But, alas, we shall be forced to wait until July for our next encounter with the banished prince.

I give the episode a 9.

PS: Yeah, don't get mad if the quotes aren't all the way correct... I did my best to remember them.

"Writer's block is like a bicyclist breaking his legs, eventually he'll get to ride again, but not when he really wants to."

Icon From: Digik Designs
Hidden Prodigy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

heavenly_guardian_incarnation@msn.com
« Reply #23 on: Jun 03, 2006 01:34 am »

This episode was all around great in my opinion. I really just can't seem to get enough of Toph-- her attitude is just hilarious, and i fell in love with her training method. She expected precision, a headstrong attitude, and complete focus-- her challenging attitude towards the twinkle toes, was very appealing. I dont really have much of anything to say about Sokka though-- wasn't very amusing this time around. He really needs to learn a bending technique or something. As for Zuko and Iroh-- i couldn't stop laughing when he pointed out how crazy his sister was. But i was rather dissapointed when i saw that the new technique he was teaching him, was nothing more then a way to bend lightning. I expected something amazing and fresh myself. There is a question that comes to mind after seeing this episode though-- are there possibly Sub-Arts in Earth and/or Air Bending ? Im definitely considering it as an possibility at the moment. But overall, as i said already-- this episode was great.

Star Outlaw
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Are you okay?

« Reply #24 on: Jun 03, 2006 01:16 pm »

Holy CRAP,this episode was freakin' sweet. There was SO much kung fu for me to geek about. The use of 'sifu,' horse stances, I even saw some elephant wrestling! I love this show.

Good to see some firebending training. Iroh's speech about learning from the other elements was awesome. I hope Zuko does learn lightning some day. It looks like he may finally be on his way to ridding himself of his shame.

Toph is such a tough sifu. Aang's definitely going to toughen up as long as he's training with her.

We got to see some flashbacks with Lu Ten as well. I wonder what exactly Iroh meant when he said he would see him. Do you think that's why Iroh went to the spirit world? To see his son's spirit?

Check out my Avatar Music Videos.

I keep Pabu. Sig by LeonsKennedy4815
Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: