Nov 18, 2017 05:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Iroh more powerful than Ozai?  (Read 30087 times)
njndirish
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

njndirish2k6
« on: May 13, 2006 09:43 am »

After watching Zuko alone Iroh could just be stronger than he appears

The monster's loose
Sig by Avagirl
Big T
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006 10:05 am »

I have believed that since the get-go. Iroh has yet to show just exactly what he is capable of. Most times, he is on the defensive. I wonder what would happen should he ever go on the offensive, full-power.

Banner by Chong
Rod
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006 11:08 am »

I have believed that since the get-go. Iroh has yet to show just exactly what he is capable of. Most times, he is on the defensive. I wonder what would happen should he ever go on the offensive, full-power.
Hed probably kick Ozai butt
Nat
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I haven't given up hope yet. ;_;

darthnat@hotmail.com charaznable26
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006 01:45 pm »

We don't have a whole lot to go on when it comes to gauging Ozai's power, but I like to think of Ozai and Iroh as characters similar to Darth Vader and Obi-Wan Kenobi.  Ozai definitely seems to lust after power and would probably prefer to use brute force and terrifying skills to defeat foes, whereas Iroh is more the withdrawn, wise master that is extremely powerful but prefers to teach others and share his wisdom than actually fight.

Star Outlaw
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Are you okay?

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006 02:16 pm »

I think Iroh and Ozai and pretty evenly matched, but Iroh probably has more experience, so he has an advantage. However, Ozai is much more ruthless, so a head to head fight to the death between the two would probably end with Ozai victorious. Iroh is probably the more powerful of the two, but what it comes down to is how much of that power he is willing to use.

Check out my Avatar Music Videos.

I keep Pabu. Sig by LeonsKennedy4815
Kaption
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006 02:36 pm »

Actually, I have reason to think that when it comes right down to it, Ozai's the more powerful of the two. Iroh is stronger, bending-wise, yes. He's had more experience, he's been at it longer considering the considerable age gap between the two, and he's been through war. When it comes right down to it, Iroh has shown considerable skill at Firebending. Like it's been said above, though, we've only seen him on the defensive mostly (except for that small charge against Zhao and his croonies in the season one finale.)

However, Ozai's clearly more powerful, he has more resources at his disposal than Iroh does as Fire Lord. He doesn't seem the type to go one-on-one with another person unless he knows he has a chance at winning. Ozai's the more ruthless of the two, and since he knows what his brother's capable of, even if we don't yet, he doesn't seem the type to risk anything in a battle between them. If it meant using his guards to slow Iroh down and give him an opening, I don't doubt he would do it. I'm only basing this on how underhanded and sneaky Ozai looks to be. Remember in Zuko Alone when he tried to take the throne from Iroh?

There's a considerable difference between being 'stronger' and being more 'powerful, y'know.

Like Psy said, Iroh would probably have reservations about fighting his brother, Ozai wouldn't and that would make the difference. So unless Iroh was fiercely determined on defeating his brother, not holding back at all, Ozai would come out on top. Though, we still don't have enough information on Ozai's bending abilities to be sure, all we know is he's ruthless and won't worry about resorting to underhanded tactics to get what he wants.
zero4982
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I don't try, I do

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006 08:24 pm »

in pure bending, Iroh is stronger being the older brother and all
but he is very lazy and laid back so he most likely dosen't use his full power. He was able to divert azula's lightnig attack 

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
HEIL BUNNY!

knowlege is wisdom
wisdom is strength
strength is power
power is....... awsome
Flopsie
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Long Live King Bumi! xD

fangurl13 charmedspell_330
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006 08:57 am »

iroh is stronger than his no good brother ozai and beside he's the real fire lord.he was meant to be the next fire lord unti ozai stole the throne from him.eveen if he is lazy i think he's just saying his energy xD he is old.

Loyal to the [Crazy] King Of Omashu
Pandora
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006 11:36 am »

Quote from: zero4982
but he is very lazy and laid back so he most likely dosen't use his full power.

Quote from: Flopsie
eveen if he is lazy i think he's just saying his energy xD he is old.

What is all this nonsense about Iroh being lazy, of all things? For the love of Koh, people, don't go accusing Iroh of being lazy; he is no such thing. The word lazy suggests a disinclination to work or to take any kind of trouble with anything, and I can't apply that word to Iroh even when he is at his most relaxed.

Iroh is a clever, crafty trickster... so don't go calling him lazy. Tongue

A fight between Iroh and his younger brother would be something to see, and I can't help but fear for Iroh in such a situation. As many have already noted, Ozai is clearly an underhanded snake. Iroh is indeed much older, it would appear, than his brother, and while he is still apparently a match even for a large group of trained soldiers (as we saw in "The Avatar State") in a one-on-one against someone in his family I still believe Ozai would have the upper hand... it's clear the Fire Lord cares for no one but himself, and that is difficult to fight against.

To answer the question, it would depend on the chosen definition of "powerful." I think that Iroh is more skilled than Ozai, hands down. If he needed to unleash his full power (which I think we still have yet to see... even when Iroh is fighting he makes little use of his firebending prowess and sticks to hand-to-hand techniques), I think he would and it would be spectacular, but he would have to be pushed pretty far to get there. He is wise, and bides his time... Ozai, though he has more political power, is terribly impatient and rash. As far as firebending goes, I believe them to have the same amount of potential power, except that Iroh knows when and how to use his skills more efficiently than his brother.
njndirish
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

njndirish2k6
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006 03:33 pm »

First of all, Iroh is my favorite character
2. Think about it, Ozai may be weaker than he appears.  When have we seen him hurt someone besides his son who was begging for Mercy, never.  When have we seen Ozai not backstab or sneak to get what he wants.  The great part of History is that most weak dictators use fear to rule, which Ozai does.
3. If any of you watched the  finale to JLU then you would understand Superman's statement that there has never been anyone that he never wants to truly hurt until the battle w/ Darkside-Same goes for Iroh, he never will injure a living thing unless he needs to and even then my bet is that he's holding back.  Never underestimate the fat old man who you rarely see angry, b/c if you catch him truly angry then there will be hell 2 pay

The monster's loose
Sig by Avagirl
zero4982
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I don't try, I do

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006 09:42 pm »

Quote from: zero4982
but he is very lazy and laid back so he most likely dosen't use his full power.
ok mabe not lazy but he never uses more force than he needs to

Quote from: Flopsie
eveen if he is lazy i think he's just saying his energy xD he is old.

What is all this nonsense about Iroh being lazy, of all things? For the love of Koh, people, don't go accusing Iroh of being lazy; he is no such thing. The word lazy suggests a disinclination to work or to take any kind of trouble with anything, and I can't apply that word to Iroh even when he is at his most relaxed.

Iroh is a clever, crafty trickster... so don't go calling him lazy. Tongue

A fight between Iroh and his younger brother would be something to see, and I can't help but fear for Iroh in such a situation. As many have already noted, Ozai is clearly an underhanded snake. Iroh is indeed much older, it would appear, than his brother, and while he is still apparently a match even for a large group of trained soldiers (as we saw in "The Avatar State") in a one-on-one against someone in his family I still believe Ozai would have the upper hand... it's clear the Fire Lord cares for no one but himself, and that is difficult to fight against.

To answer the question, it would depend on the chosen definition of "powerful." I think that Iroh is more skilled than Ozai, hands down. If he needed to unleash his full power (which I think we still have yet to see... even when Iroh is fighting he makes little use of his firebending prowess and sticks to hand-to-hand techniques), I think he would and it would be spectacular, but he would have to be pushed pretty far to get there. He is wise, and bides his time... Ozai, though he has more political power, is terribly impatient and rash. As far as firebending goes, I believe them to have the same amount of potential power, except that Iroh knows when and how to use his skills more efficiently than his brother.

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
HEIL BUNNY!

knowlege is wisdom
wisdom is strength
strength is power
power is....... awsome
Haze
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2006 06:05 pm »

I'd have to say Iroh is more powerful. I say this because, despite being the first in line to become Fire Lord, he was out fighting at Ba Sing Se. Why put the heir to the throne in immediate danger like that unless you know he is more than capable of taking care of himself ? Also, it seemed to me that Azulon favored Iroh over Ozai (judging by Azulon's reaction when Ozai asked for the throne). It remind me of Ozai's relationship with Zuko and Azula. Although Zuko is the first in line to take the throne, Ozai favors Azula because she is stronger. It seems to me that firebenders dislike any type of weakness...

I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind of a big deal.
SessKo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Jun 26, 2006 01:38 am »

I don't think we can judge who is more powerful in a phisical sense because we have only seen Ozai as an evil dictator, haven't really seen him fight, Iroh on the other hand has shown us his strength in multiple episodes.

Dr. Pepper is an intellectual drink for the chosen ones.
xlegend34
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

PROUD Keeper of Kataang, and the Soldier Boy Song

arman12 sharpiesrawesome42
« Reply #13 on: Jun 26, 2006 06:53 pm »

i beleiev iroh is stronger...ozai would be blinded by anger and range...iroh has a clear mind and fights on the defensive...he could take him..he doesnt want to fight him for the throne because of his love for his country

heres a crazy theory of mine
when aang fights ozai..he'll probably have his friends on his side...i think ozai will try and kill zuko...and iroh will end up sacrificing himself....that sucks though...i love iroh

Leaves from the vine, falling so slow.
Like fragile, tiny shells,
Drifting in the foam.
Little soldier boy, come marching home.
Brave soldier boy, comes marching home.
R.I.P. Mako
Prince_Zuko_44
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

~(*Never Give Up Without A Fight)*~

XclaPika
« Reply #14 on: Jun 26, 2006 07:03 pm »

Agreeing to what you say , xlegend. Yes. Iroh may be more powerful than Ozai except it is said that Iroh is just on the defense except is very good at offense except dosen't show that. When Ozai's older Iroh should be more powerful.

This also may happen at the very last show finale -

( A little summary what may happen )

Aang finally meets his destany to defeat Fire Lord Ozai. As a team Aang, Sokka, Katara, Toph, and maybe even Zuko and Iroh team up to defeat the fire lord. Zuko or Iroh may be killed for a sacrifice for one of the team members except of course not the starters like Katara or Sokka cause that would be sad.

EARTHBENDER
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ThisLoser08
« Reply #15 on: Jun 27, 2006 10:45 am »

Just because Iroh doesn't do much firbending, most people in the show underestimate his powers he just hasn't revealed to fans yet. Iroh will destroy Ozai!
Prince_Zuko_44
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

~(*Never Give Up Without A Fight)*~

XclaPika
« Reply #16 on: Jun 27, 2006 02:03 pm »

Yeah..I agree! He hasn't been in battle firebending...only teaching Zuko the basics and got forced to teach Zuko advanced. The Fire Sage that announced Ozai Fire Lord must be wrong... it'd be funny if there was a smudge and it really said Iroh not Ozai Smiley

xlegend34
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #17 on: Jun 27, 2006 06:22 pm »

Agreeing to what you say , xlegend. Yes. Iroh may be more powerful than Ozai except it is said that Iroh is just on the defense except is very good at offense except dosen't show that. When Ozai's older Iroh should be more powerful.

This also may happen at the very last show finale -

( A little summary what may happen )

Aang finally meets his destany to defeat Fire Lord Ozai. As a team Aang, Sokka, Katara, Toph, and maybe even Zuko and Iroh team up to defeat the fire lord. Zuko or Iroh may be killed for a sacrifice for one of the team members except of course not the starters like Katara or Sokka cause that would be sad.

i beleieve iroh will be the one to sacrifice himself...probably for zuko....and this will make zuko very angry at the firelord and make him unleash his full strenght helping aang beat the fire lord...i rlly hope iroh doesnt die though...he is awesome

Drifting in the foam.
R.I.P. Mako
EARTHBENDER
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ThisLoser08
« Reply #18 on: Jun 29, 2006 03:47 pm »

i beleieve iroh will be the one to sacrifice himself...probably for zuko....and this will make zuko very angry at the firelord and make him unleash his full strenght helping aang beat the fire lord...i rlly hope iroh doesnt die though...he is awesome

that is some good thinking. that will probably be an outcome in the third season. Smiley
xlegend34
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #19 on: Jun 29, 2006 07:12 pm »

yea i know...but i rlly hope it isn't...but then again iroh will finally be reunited with lu ten, o and if that does happen...all hail fire lord Zuko lol

Drifting in the foam.
R.I.P. Mako
Rosefire
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

erosegem
« Reply #20 on: Jun 29, 2006 07:45 pm »

When Ozai has
1. A musical horn
2. A jeweled monkey
3. A good teapot
4. Respect for his son
...then I'll consider him superior to Iroh.

In the meantime, Zuko's uncle pwns them all. (Except for Zuko himself) Grin

"And in other news, there's too much violins on TV." -Gilda Radner
xlegend34
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Jun 29, 2006 08:38 pm »

When Ozai has
1. A musical horn
2. A jeweled monkey
3. A good teapot
4. Respect for his son
...then I'll consider him superior to Iroh.

In the meantime, Zuko's uncle pwns them all. (Except for Zuko himself) Grin

lol...i agree

Drifting in the foam.
R.I.P. Mako
Attoroc
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The Earth King has invited you to Lake Laogai.

« Reply #22 on: Jul 04, 2006 04:00 pm »

AAAH!  Gone for the weekend and three pages of new posts!  Geez.

I believe that Iroh is indeed superior to Ozai, it's just that Iroh is more hesitant about using his considerable powers.  And I also agree with Rosefire.

PM me for an Avvy or Sig or go here to request one. =)
omgasp
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

av by alpha

« Reply #23 on: Jul 04, 2006 07:33 pm »

AAAH!  Gone for the weekend and three pages of new posts!  Geez.

I believe that Iroh is indeed superior to Ozai, it's just that Iroh is more hesitant about using his considerable powers.  And I also agree with Rosefire.

There have been tons of new and really active members.

I agree that Iroh is superior to Ozai, but I disagree that Iroh is more hesitant about using his powers.  I think Ozai just has more drive. He wants to be the top dog. He'd do anything to be better than others.  Iroh, in comparison, sticks with whatever is thrown at him and keeps his values higher on his priority list than his own personal gain. He stuck by his nephew, Zuko, without any reward.

Quadgurl
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Zutarian queen at your service-o

« Reply #24 on: Jul 04, 2006 08:20 pm »

Yes, I believe Iroh is more powerful because he is older and more wiser, and while Ozai is doing his thing with the war with meetings etc., Iroh has time to practice. My theory!!!

Sokaang + Zutara = My Avatar ships Grin
Join the zutarian-empire today! http://zutarian-empire.deviantart.com
Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: