Nov 12, 2019 02:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Comic:
10 - 0 (0%)
9 - 0 (0%)
8 - 1 (50%)
7 - 0 (0%)
6 - 0 (0%)
5 - 1 (50%)
4 - 0 (0%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 2

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DH Comics #22] Ruins of the Empire, Part 1  (Read 4848 times)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« on: Feb 18, 2019 07:49 am »

Thread will be unlocked as soon as the comic is released.

Dark Horse announced that Ruins of the Empire, Part 1 will be available from May 21 2019. You can pre-order this on Amazon.

Ruins of the Empire is written by Michael Dante DiMartino and illustrated by Michelle Wong with consultation from Bryan Konietzko. This is a summary of the series:

On the eve of its first elections, the Earth Kingdom finds its future endangered by its past. Even as Kuvira stands trial for her crimes, vestiges of her imperial ambitions threaten to undermine the nation’s democratic hopes. However, when Korra, Asami, Mako, and Bolin disagree on the solution, drastic measures will be taken to halt a new march to war and Korra must decide whom to trust as the fate of the Earth Kingdom hangs in the balance!

This thread is for opinions & discussion about the story. A thread for professional reviews will be created in due time. For questions on release dates and buying the books, see A:TLA & TLOK Graphic Novels in the Marketplace. For speculation of other future comics, please see Official Avatar Comics News thread respectively.

Remember, only post if you've read the comic. As usual, illegal links/scans are NOT allowed to be posted and all forum rules apply.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019 02:47 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019 06:10 pm »

This is better than Turf Wars

And Turf Wars wasn't bad.

I think the Korrasami relationship is headed for a bad breakup. I think they are incompatible; Asami has way too much emotional baggage and is super passive-aggressive. Korra is too busy, socially unintelligent (still) and she is way too impulsive.

What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
--Philipians 4:9
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019 06:27 pm »

The AtLA fandom lit itself on fire when Maiko, of all things, broke up.

I can't imagine that the Mike is reckless enough to try the same thing with the fandom-defining ship of LoK. Cheesy

(And yes, at this point, it's the flagship of the existing fandom. Breaking up Korassami would destroy the LoK fandom forever and it would be remembered only with bitterness by even casual fans.)

BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019 06:43 pm »

I can't imagine that the Mike is reckless enough to try the same thing with the fandom-defining ship of LoK. Cheesy

(And yes, at this point, it's the flagship of the existing fandom. Breaking up Korassami would destroy the LoK fandom forever and it would be remembered only with bitterness by even casual fans.)

Well, if not breakup, then some actual real conflict that actually does something for both characters (especially Asami)

Maybe a temporary breakup.

I don't know. Masami has always made more sense than Makorra and Korrasami both.

As for destroying the LoK fandom forever? I doubt that. Besides, it's not like LoK is as popular or as beloved at ATLA to begin with...LoK is already remembered with bitterness. I didn't realize how divisive LoK was until I started exploring reddit, youtube, etc.

What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
--Philipians 4:9
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019 06:56 pm »

Exactly! The remaining fans are heavily invested in Korrasami. Trust me, breaking the couple up in a bunch of sequel comics isn't going to bring back anyone who was turned off by the cartoon itself, but the co-creator Making A Statement by writing such a thing into the comics can definitely hurt what still remains. It would be seen as a targeted insult and attempt to appease bigots, whether true or not.

And nah, Masami never made sense either. People actually noticing Mako and remembering his name is the most unrealistic thing about LoK, and that includes the magical martial arts and the giant city-destroying robot. Tongue They had to make Asami literally having no other human connections besides her father to make us believe she'd actually help Mako up after running him over.

mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019 12:16 pm »

Yeah, I don't think Bryke will permanently break up Korrasami. It's literally the first thing that comes to mind for a lot of fans and probably fans who read the comics. Breaking them up will IMO destroy their sales by a good margin.
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019 01:30 pm »

Yeah, I don't think Bryke will permanently break up Korrasami. It's literally the first thing that comes to mind for a lot of fans and probably fans who read the comics. Breaking them up will IMO destroy their sales by a good margin.

With a high demand on LGBT rep, breaking up Korrasami, (flagship and moneymaker) or subverting anything related to LGBT rep is career suicide. Look what happened to VLD.

I've heard that Smoke and Shadow made people hate Mai so much that they want Zuko to find someone else to be Izumi's mother.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2019 02:12 pm by Fire Rose » Logged
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019 07:51 pm »

I do wish there was far more world building with the Avatar universe. Democracy cannot be implemented overnight and it was pretty funny when Korra told Wu that it took time for Republic City to get elections through. That’s not true, it was done in an incredibly short and unrealistic manner. For one thing none of the other nations had democracy and all of the council members were handpicked by the rulers of the other nations. Then they gave the vote to all of the citizens. Sorry, but it is unrealistic for a society to go from leaders based on lineage to having all of the citizens put forth a vote within the timeframe given. I get that Toph is a beloved person in and out of the Avatar universe, but she is also quite elderly. Funny to say that the old representatives running for the governorship were old enough to have been around when Kuei was king, yet completely forgetting that Toph was as well. While the brainwashing part makes sense, I am a little disappointed that my somewhat out there idea of making super-soldiers from using the spirit vines is not going to come to fruition.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019 12:06 am by luvavatar » Logged
Aerial
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019 10:24 pm »

Good idea, Korra. Let's make Toph, the old lady who has spent the last decade or so living in a swamp completely isolated from society, governor.

Yeah yeah, she's connected to the world through the vines and all that stuff, but it should be clear to Korra more than anyone that Toph doesn't give a damn about political affairs anymore. The writers probably just wanted to bring back a member of the Gaang once again to hook people into the story by inciting nostalgia. Classic ol' tactic.

The brainwashing twist is too silly for me to take seriously. I laughed when I got to the final page. It just doesn't fit the world of Avatar. But I guess after that giant mecha fight, everything goes. Next time we're gonna see Team Avatar fighting against an army of aliens or something.

Anyway, it was a boring read. About the only thing I liked was Bolin not knowing what to do with his life.

If I had to guess how the story will play out, I'd say Suyin will be the one to step up and run for governor (maybe even president later on), which would be really nice to see after she refused to take charge in Book 4. On that note, unlike a lot of people, I actually had no problem with Su not stepping up back then. I thought her reasoning was flawed, but sound enough Tongue Still, I'd like to see her have a change of mind after everything that's happened.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019 11:03 pm by Aerial » Logged

luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019 12:17 am »

Well brainwashing was shown to be a thing back in ATLA, it was bound to make a comeback sooner or later (really wish something else would come back, coughFireNationcough). However, I feel like that twist just easily puts down any legitimacy of the Earth Empire. For all of its faults, they did unite a nation that been fractured for centuries. They modernized it and created a unified military that was on par with or easily surpassed that of the other nations. It would be better to see people actually going along with them, instead of a bunch of puppets being installed. It would make the issue much harder to deal with.

I didn’t like what they did to Suyin and she never really gets called out on any of her actions. She took in Varrick who wanted to start a war all for profit, but cast out her protégée/surrogate daughter for wanting to initially go out and help reign in the chaos running rampant across the continent? I understand not wanting to become a leader, but to sit back while others are helpless is wrong. When one has the means to truly make a difference, that person should do so. Why not give aid, take in refugees, have some of her guards train surrounding towns how to protect themselves, share the technology of her modernized city. There was so much to do and she did nothing. I think they should have Wu try to make the Earth Kingdom be more of a constitutional monarchy, basically his power is mostly ceremonial but some stability could be in order with how much the Earth Kingdom keeps constantly changing in the past few years.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019 01:45 am »

Glad to see Mako's arm is no longer in a sling and it's scarred like what most people theorized.

Lol I never expected to see Team Avatar in swimsuits again in a comic. The comedic element in the sauna was golden.

Oh look, we have Dai Li Brainwashing version 2.0. That's great.

I do like the art style in this much more than Koh's. The colour is as rich as the animated series and there are no flyaway strands of hairs that irritated me in Turf Wars.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Aerial
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019 01:51 am »

Well brainwashing was shown to be a thing back in ATLA, it was bound to make a comeback sooner or later

Good point. Yet I still find myself wondering why I find the brainwashing to be creepy and effective in A:TLA but silly in LoK. Maybe the difference in presentation? Build-up? Or maybe I just think those stereotypical mind-control helmets look funny in the Avatar world?

She took in Varrick who wanted to start a war all for profit, but cast out her protégée/surrogate daughter for wanting to initially go out and help reign in the chaos running rampant across the continent?

I mean, she also took Zaofu's entire security force with her and left the city defenceless amidst the chaos of anarchy.

As for taking Varrick in, that was a dumb move on her part, but it fits with her character: she's too trusting, and because of that she tends to be betrayed. It happened with Aiwei, Kuvira and Varrick. It's an established flaw of hers.

I understand not wanting to become a leader, but to sit back while others are helpless is wrong. When one has the means to truly make a difference, that person should do so. Why not give aid, take in refugees, have some of her guards train surrounding towns how to protect themselves, share the technology of her modernized city. There was so much to do and she did nothing.

Fair enough.

Although the situation was so messy and delicate that I can understand her not doing anything out of fear of failure, making things worse, not being able to protect her city, or a combination of all those things. Of course, none of this is actually addressed or hinted at in the show, so I totally get why people think she's an a-hole.

I didn’t like what they did to Suyin and she never really gets called out on any of her actions.

That's why these comics are the perfect opportunity to do just that. Both Kuvira and Suyin have a bad habit of not taking responsibility for their actions (or inaction, in Su's case), so I expect them to call each other out and open each other's eyes at some point in the story.

ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2019 10:15 am »

Good idea, Korra. Let's make Toph, the old lady who has spent the last decade or so living in a swamp completely isolated from society, governor.

Yeah yeah, she's connected to the world through the vines and all that stuff, but it should be clear to Korra more than anyone that Toph doesn't give a damn about political affairs anymore.
Not just political affairs, but she didn't care about what was happening to Lin until Suyin was in trouble in season 4. Seasons 1 through 3 didn't even register on Toph's radar.
Though I like to think that Toph was exaggerating when she said that she could see everything. Maybe just the swamp area until Korra allowed Unalaq to win and have the worlds connected 24/7.

Well brainwashing was shown to be a thing back in ATLA, it was bound to make a comeback sooner or later

Good point. Yet I still find myself wondering why I find the brainwashing to be creepy and effective in A:TLA but silly in LoK. Maybe the difference in presentation? Build-up? Or maybe I just think those stereotypical mind-control helmets look funny in the Avatar world?
A little bit of all columns, I would hazard.
The brainwashing in AtLA was also "in secret" so that people knew that something was going on in Ba Sing Se but couldn't speak out about it and couldn't put a face to the secret. Meanwhile this new potential candidate is putting his name and his face into the minds of the people.
This is only the first part so maybe something else will come about.
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2019 10:38 am »

I didn’t like what they did to Suyin and she never really gets called out on any of her actions. She took in Varrick who wanted to start a war all for profit, but cast out her protégée/surrogate daughter for wanting to initially go out and help reign in the chaos running rampant across the continent? I understand not wanting to become a leader, but to sit back while others are helpless is wrong. When one has the means to truly make a difference, that person should do so. Why not give aid, take in refugees, have some of her guards train surrounding towns how to protect themselves, share the technology of her modernized city. There was so much to do and she did nothing. I think they should have Wu try to make the Earth Kingdom be more of a constitutional monarchy, basically his power is mostly ceremonial but some stability could be in order with how much the Earth Kingdom keeps constantly changing in the past few years.

Hopefully part 2 addresses some of the issues she has with Kuvira because there is definitely 'he said, she said.' going on between these two. Is there some truth behind Kuvira's words about Su not treating her as family or is she trying to deflect blame from herself? We know from her childhood that Kuvira doesn't take responsibility for herself but at the same time I can see Su unintentionally leaving Kuvira out of family related stuff because she wanted Kuvira to focus on her Earthbending studies or something.

Su's not a bad person at heart but she can be oblivious to the bigger picture of things. She must've thought that just giving Kuvira a better home was more than enough to 'cure' her of her problems.

If I had to guess how the story will play out, I'd say Suyin will be the one to step up and run for governor (maybe even president later on), which would be really nice to see after she refused to take charge in Book 4. On that note, unlike a lot of people, I actually had no problem with Su not stepping up back then. I thought her reasoning was sound Tongue Still, I'd like to see her have a change of mind after everything that's happened.

I can see Korra and Kuvira going to Su to run for Governor after visiting Toph (who would say no), but the question is has Su learned her lesson on the last she turned away help? Will she step up just for the sake of keeping Guan out of the running or will she refuse knowing full well that Guan may try to take over Zaofu should he win because her anger towards Kuvira is clouding her judgement?

Oh look, we have Dai Li Brainwashing version 2.0. That's great.

Someone is going to get brainwashed. It's either going to be:

a) Kuvira due to the hints that Guan makes about 'recalibrating' the brainwashing device for her and that he thinks deep down Kuvira still wants power. If he can get Kuvira on his side then it's going to make Korra look bad because it was her idea to let Kuvira out of prison.

b) Korra. This is less likely because we know Korra would take down the camp before Guan can even put the device on her. Plus, I remember people didn't like Korra and Kuvira's fight in 4x05 so having Kuvira beat Korra again just so she can be fully redeemed might not sit well with people.

c) Suyin. Getting the support from a Beifong and the Matriarch of Zaofu would help with Guan's image.

d) Asami because of the whole "Kuvira killed my dad." thing. This is another less likely possibility because they already did a kidnapping plot in Turf Wars. But then again the writers have to give Asami something to do in the plot or else she's just there to be Korra's girlfriend, which doesn't matter either way because being Korra's girlfriend is Asami's only purpose in life.
mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Jun 21, 2019 12:58 pm »

Just read it and my initial impressions left me feeling well...'whelmed'. I like the twist they gave with Guan not bringing his army to take down the town, but rather put himself in as a candidate. In addition, the brainwashing he's got going on is certainly a call back to the Dai Li, but I'm curious to see where this all goes.

Korra wanting Toph to run for governor is sooooooo stupid. Simply because she's been a hermit for how long now? Why would she embrace that life again?

The initial synopsis seemed to imply more tension between the Krew about what to do with Kuvira...but all that stuff seemed to get smoothed over real quickly. I was left disappointed in that.

Bolin with another job...I do hope they finally end this arc with him finding a permanent job.

The character art itself was...okay? Coloring and proportions were good. Same with background elements. Some of it did look a bit weird. Especially when Asami kissed Korra and how their lips met.

When I originally saw Korra's take on Kuvira being "broken", I had doubt. It always seems like Korra's take on who a person really is seems to be wrong, and she often finds herself getting tricked more often than not. I agree with Fire Rose that Kuvira becoming brainwashed will lend some tension to that. At the same time, it also feels like a "cop out" to have it both ways. Korra was "technically right" about how she assessed Kuvira, but we still gotta add that conflict in some way by having her be "wrong" temporarily.

Overall, the first part was just...meh. Maybe because it felt like not much was set up despite it being 70 pages. Maybe part 1 will feel better once the entire volume is out.
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2019 01:03 pm by mmoon24 » Logged
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #15 on: Jun 21, 2019 07:08 pm »

I still wonder whether Avatar stories, either AtLA or LoK, would be easier to tell issue-by-issue rather than in these graphic novel trilogies.

Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Jun 21, 2019 07:27 pm »

I was thinking the same thing recently. I’m enjoying Imbalance quite a bit, but I’m fearful that the final act will be a dud due to the constraints inherent in the trilogy format. These comics would be better serve if they allowed for more variety. So some stories may be told in three issues whereas others might take up to six or more.
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #17 on: Jun 21, 2019 08:07 pm »

Korra wanting Toph to run for governor is sooooooo stupid. Simply because she's been a hermit for how long now? Why would she embrace that life again?

I've seen theories suggesting that Kuvira will be the governor of Gaoling (or an advisor to the new governor) by the end of the trilogy. Yes, the theory itself is very unlikely but I'm curious to see how they would pull it off. We know Toph is going to turn it down so who else could they get?

The initial synopsis seemed to imply more tension between the Krew about what to do with Kuvira...but all that stuff seemed to get smoothed over real quickly. I was left disappointed in that.

It's only part 1. I'm sure Asami is going to bring up "You killed my dad." to Kuvira and Kuvira is going to be 'sorry not sorry' about it ("I sincerely regret killing your dad but on the bright side I blah, blah, blah. I kind of did a good thing when you think about it."). Or Su is going to be super stubborn about giving Kuvira a chance to help even if her life depended on it.

When I originally saw Korra's take on Kuvira being "broken", I had doubt. It always seems like Korra's take on who a person really is seems to be wrong, and she often finds herself getting tricked more often than not. I agree with Fire Rose that Kuvira becoming brainwashed will lend some tension to that. At the same time, it also feels like a "cop out" to have it both ways. Korra was "technically right" about how she assessed Kuvira, but we still gotta add that conflict in some way by having her be "wrong" temporarily.

Overall, the first part was just...meh. Maybe because it felt like not much was set up despite it being 70 pages. Maybe part 1 will feel better once the entire volume is out.

There's a part 2 preview (Part 2 has been delayed to Oct 29th, btw.) of Kuvira dressed as an EE foot solider. There's definitely going to be an infiltration plotline coming up.

I'm going to predict what's likely going to happen in Part 2.

Scenario A

The Krew goes to Toph and Su for help. Toph agrees to help but makes it clear that she does not want to become governor. Su also agrees to help but she'll mostly be there to cause tension between her and Kuvira. The Krew eventually gets suspicious of Guan's activities and decide to send someone in to infiltrate the camp. Kuvira immediately volunteers for the job but it leads the party being split about the idea of sending her in for obvious reasons. They eventually agree to send Kuvira in but Kuvira does something reckless that gets her captured and brainwashed before she could reveal Guan's plan to the team. Everyone is going to assume that Kuvira was lying about wanting to be redeemed.

Scenario B

The Krew goes to Toph and Su for help and yada, yada, they agree to help. They get suspicious of Guan's activities and try to come up with a plan that doesn't make them look like the bad guys that are trying to stop Wu's democracy plan. Kuvira suggests infiltrating Guan's base but everyone including Korra turns it down because a) it's risky. and b) Korra lost a bit of trust in her after attacking Guan earlier. After some words are exchanged, Kuvira goes screw it and infiltrates the base on her own without telling anyone (sound familiar? It should because this is similar to what Korra did when she confronted Tarrlok in Book 1). She gets captured and brainwashed.

The story seems to be pushing the idea that Kuvira truly wants to redeem herself but her pride keeps getting in the way of doing the right and smart thing. Brainwashed or not there's going to be a point in the story where Kuvira will have to say "The crapstorm I've caused when trying to stop Guan is all on me and I'm sorry. I am guilty and I deserve to be put in jail after this."
ViridianIV
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #18 on: Aug 11, 2019 04:28 am »

I really can't stand Su... it can't be said enough, gal can metalbend like the dickens (that su vs Kuvira fight in season 4 is one of the most stunning animated brawls ever done...) but damn if she isn't a worthless garbagecan of a human being... she beat out Mako for my least favorite LoK character and that wasn't easy.

"In the time before the Avatar, we bent not the elements, but the energy within ourselves."
                  -Lion Turtle dropping the mic
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: