Oct 16, 2018 05:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Did The Gaang Get To General Fong's Fortress?  (Read 178 times)
joejoeyjoseph
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Oct 04, 2018 12:32 pm »

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere. Subject line says it all. If the gaang sailed with the northern water tribe navy to near general fongs fortress on the west coast of the earth kingdom, wouldnt they have had to sail through waters occupied by the fire nation? What gives?
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2018 02:44 pm »

Hi,

I only have access to the transcripts right now, but in it you can read the following:
Master Pakku: Fly straight to the Earth Kingdom base to the east of here.

Which means when the gang leaves pakku’s ship and fly away on appa, they are to the west of Fong’s base, which is indeed FN infested waters, but perhaps not fully controlled.

I found a map with detailed topography on the internet here: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ad/14/4e/ad144e37456591b453e047380255b0b8.jpg

They could have travelled on the Xiyan river to the western lake, and then on to Beipan river, out into open waters, past crescent island. The entire trip would have been entirely along the disputed borders of FN occupied territory.

No small feat indeed!

keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
joejoeyjoseph
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2018 03:11 pm »

I feel like if they had taken that inland route, they would have been more familiar with the area by the time they ended up there on their way to Ba Sing Se...
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2018 12:18 am »

It isn’t as though the Fire Nation could track every square mile of the ocean, plus they had just recently lost an entire fleet in their attempt to take over the North Pole, probably weren’t in a position to patrol as much area as they had beforehand.
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2018 12:01 pm »

^ good point about the open waters. It doesn’t solve the question how they could sail up one river and down the other, the combined stretch the equivalent of traveling from Canada to Mexico in a very obvious and out of place NWT catamaran, with the FN frontline on ther port side and the EK front line on their starboard side, without raising so much as an eyebrow.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 2018 04:03 pm »

I mean, there's no rule that says the gAang had to stay with Pakku's ship for the whole trip. They could have met up with them at various points (as I'm sure Pakku's ship had to make landfall for supplies and whatnot), which would allow Pakku to sail through Fire Nation inspection points. It's not like the Fire Nation restricts all civilian movement. If they don't know that Pakku is a Waterbender, he's just an old sailor in blue.

Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2018 01:30 am »

...or they might even have sailed east to Nanbei island, then south-east all the way across the Great Sea, and then east-north-east through the Silver sea, avoiding the entirety of FN occupied territory. that way the trip would be quite uneventful (assuming no storms or rough seas) and excusable to skip storywise.
It might even be a fast way to travel if the great ocean currents can carry the ship along in the right direction. plus i like the idea of the Water tribes secretly owning the backside of the planet.
« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2018 01:36 am by Yougo » Logged

joejoeyjoseph
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 2018 03:44 pm »

Tfw you remember planets are round... Roll Eyes Shocked
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: