Nov 13, 2019 09:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New LOK Comic - Ruins of the Empire  (Read 9565 times)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #100 on: May 25, 2019 08:00 pm »

Please leave this discussion thread spoiler free and continue it in the main Ruins of the Empire Part 1 thread if you have read the comic.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #101 on: Jul 17, 2019 12:42 am »

I hope this is the right place for this.

Looks like we have some new info on part 3 of Ruins of the Empire:
https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/622143/the-legend-of-korra-ruins-of-the-empire-part-three-by-written-by-michael-dante-dimartino-illustrated-by-michelle-wong-colored-by-vivian-ng/9781506708966/
We have a cover, and a description:
Kuvira’s true nature is revealed, and the Earth Kingdom will feel the consequences!

Thanks to Commander Guan and Doctor Sheng’s brainwashing technology, all hope for a fair election in the Earth Kingdom is lost. Korra works with Toph, Su, and Kuvira to plan a means to rescue not just the brainwashed Mako, Bolin, and Asami, but everyone else caught up in Guan’s plan! With the Earth Empire potentially on the rise again, Kuvira pulls another trick from her sleeve . . . but whose side is she truly on?

Written by series co-creator Michael Dante DiMartino and illustrated by Michelle Wong (Goosebumps: Download and Die), with consultation by Bryan Konietzko and Tim Hedrick, this is the ultimate continuation of the beloved television series!

We also have a release date, for what that is worth:
February 25th, 2020.
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #102 on: Jul 18, 2019 03:41 pm »

Wait a minute, they can replace all of the platinum domes to Zaofu, but are unable to build housing in Republic City in less than a few months?
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2019 12:05 pm by luvavatar » Logged
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #103 on: Jul 18, 2019 06:50 pm »

Eh, those aren't really platinum. They had some Earthbenders make a new dome out of rock and then painted the pieces with silver paint. You know, to maintain xenophobic appearances. Su is still arguing with the Republic City leadership about claiming ownership of Kuvira's robot. She says it's her property because it's made from her stolen platinum. The RC lawyers are arguing that Kuvira and the invading army was Su's property, too, and the salvage from the robot is a nice down-payment on the reparations that Zaofu therefore owes RC. It'll probably be tied in up the courts for years, while the robot sits moldering in a warehouse.

Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #104 on: Jul 20, 2019 04:43 pm »

Asami looks kinda weird on that cover. Can't quite put my finger on why though.

mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #105 on: Jul 22, 2019 01:04 pm »

Asami being brainwashed is the closest we will get to the Equalist Asami that was originally planned. I do like her and the bending bros being the ones to get brainwashed. It gives them something to do (even if it's against their will). I do wonder if any words or emotions will come out that have just been buried underneath. Similar to when someone gets drunk.
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #106 on: Jul 22, 2019 05:47 pm »

The only question I want to know is how all three of them got captured. Did they botch up a mission and Kuvira threw them under the bus?

Asami being brainwashed is the closest we will get to the Equalist Asami that was originally planned. I do like her and the bending bros being the ones to get brainwashed. It gives them something to do (even if it's against their will). I do wonder if any words or emotions will come out that have just been buried underneath. Similar to when someone gets drunk.

Oh, I'm sure there will be when you consider that

1) Kuvira is a liability and that it was Korra's idea to let her out and help them.

2) They each have personal grievence against Kuvira. Mako almost died, Bolin was going to be sent to a camp because he said "No, I'm not helping you take over Zaofu.", and Asami lost her dad (I sound like broken record every time Asami up. The girl has nothing going her besides that plot point). Looking back on it, Korra was lucky that she got to know Kuvira's good side (she saved her dad) before she turned tyrant.

3) The reason the Earth Empire got into power was because Korra was absent for three years (which isn't her fault but that's the brainwash talking. Raiko and Su share the blame on Kuvira's rise to power.). I'm willing to bet that the three of them will use that against her.

"What kind of Avatar leaves her job for three years and do nothing while her friends cleaned up some of her mess?"

"Why should we help a woman who has caused more harm than good to the Earth Kingdom? What makes you so sure that she won't backstab you in the end? Do you not care about us? Do you not care that she tried to kill all of us?"

"What do you know about loss? You haven't lost anyone in your life!

"It's your fault that the Earth Empire is even a thing! If you haven't gotten sick, this wouldn't have happened. Worthless Avatar!"

Brutal but again, that's the brainwash talking.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #107 on: Jul 22, 2019 08:19 pm »

Does the villain have all that scripted? Brainwashing, as we saw it in AtLA, doesn't just change people's thoughts and personalities; it turns them into meat robots. For the Krew to taunt Korra like that, they'd need to have those lines fed to them.

Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #108 on: Jul 22, 2019 10:30 pm »

^Unless something has changed in 73 years you have a good point.

Maybe he does have a script ready to go. I mean, it's not a secret that Korra took a leave of absence for three years and that some people just don't like her because they see the Avatar obsolete. He also did say something along the line of 'recalibrating the device' for Kuvira so maybe he's brainwashing the three into being anti-Kuvira (or in their case more anti-Kuvira). If not that then he's going to use them to to get close to Kuvira and Korra so they can be killed because that's the only explanation I can think of on why he would brainwash them.
mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #109 on: Jul 23, 2019 02:27 pm »

We did see the people who were brainwashed at the end of the first chapter that they can at least behave in a certain way or say certain things. If the brainwashing consists of going against Korra, then it could be their own negativity that feeds into their programmed personalities.
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #110 on: Aug 31, 2019 08:52 pm »

So there are 9 preview pages for Ruins of the Empire on their Facebook page. Airspeedprime did video of the preview pages but I'll give you summary for those you don't want to see it.

-Korra and Wu go to the forest to find Toph while the trio stays behind to take Kuvira to Zaofu. Guan's forces attack the ship and the three get captured (we know what happens in part 3). Kuvira tried to warn them about the ambush but she was too late.

-Toph has learned how to camouflage.

-As we already guessed, Toph doesn't want to get involved because unlike her friends she hates dealing with politics. We don't know how Korra convinced her but my guess is it has something do with the Earth Queen because Wu mentioned her after Toph turned their offer down.

-Kuvira somehow got away with a car and is wearing a Empire uniform.

-According to Kuvira, the brainwashing effects are strong because the Doctor has used magnetic technology. It sounds like this is way different than the Dai Li's brainwashing.

-Korra, Kuvira, and the Beifong Family attack Guan and try to save the already brianwashed Krew. They'll likely not succeed.

9 pages isn't bad but I wouldn't be surprised if half the book gets spoiled in the weeks before it's released.
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2019 01:41 pm by Fire Rose » Logged
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #111 on: Sep 01, 2019 01:31 pm »

-According to Kuvira, the brainwashing effects are strong because the Doctor has used magnetic technology. It sounds like this is way different than the Dai Li's brainwashing.

I would like to kindly ask all Arts majors to stop attempting to Science. Please. No one is having fun; the audience is feeling just as embarrassed as the storytellers. For everyone's sake, let's just steer around this kind of thing in the future.

Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #112 on: Oct 18, 2019 05:12 pm »

A new set of preview pages for Part 2 have been released. To break it down in order to save time......

-Kuvira wanted to help Asami during the ambush but Asami refused to release her. They all get captured.

-While in the forest, Wu sees/hallucinates the Earth Queen. The Queen pretty much says "Democracy is stupid and you're weak for making the Earth Kingdom a democracy because you don't want to lead, blah-blah-blah."

-It's implied that Kuvira's parents indeed dumped her on Su's doorsteps.

-Kuvira calls Su for help after she escapes from Guan's camp.

-Guan and his assistant have been working on brainwashing methods during the events of Book 4 by studying the Dai Li's methods and then combining it with modern technology. From what I got they did use brainwashing in the reeducated camps but the problem was that it didn't stick until now. The Dai Li's methods eventually worn off.

-Kuvira was never aware of brainwashing being used in the camps and would've put a stop to it if she had known. The doctor is all "Why are you surprised about this? You never cared about what your followers were doing as long as you got results, right?" Technically she's not wrong when you take Kuvira's MO into account.

-Korra and the Beifongs manage to get a brainwashed Asami back and Kuvira suggests that they go visit Bataar Jr because as an engineer he might be able to reverse the brainwashing effects. This is going to be interesting.

As predicted, we can figure out what happens next by just reading what's likely half of the story.
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2019 07:53 pm by Fire Rose » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: