Oct 22, 2019 11:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New LOK Comic - Ruins of the Empire  (Read 9221 times)
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #75 on: Apr 11, 2019 10:13 am »

New preview for part 1.

https://korranews.com/post/183992859125/the-earth-empire-is-not-dead-in-two-new-preview

So it looks like the antagonist for this story is an Earth Empire General that wasn't happy with Kuvira surrendering to the Avatar and decides to take over whatever's left of her army. He also seems to be doing experiments on something.
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #76 on: Apr 11, 2019 10:25 am »

I wonder if it will be fairly small like with what Zuko dealt with in regards to the New Ozai Society or if it will be more widespread. I hope that the outcome is that the Earth Kingdom will remain united. Korra and Wu are a bit naive and misguided in the belief that separating the Earth Kingdom will be a good decision.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #77 on: Apr 11, 2019 06:06 pm »

Experiments, huh?

I'm so glad I published the 'evil laboratory' chapters of my fanfic before this hit. Now I might have another thing I can jokingly accuse the Mike of trying to steal, on top of anarchist baby-nappers and the title 'Red Lotus.'

mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #78 on: Apr 11, 2019 08:12 pm »

Ah yes, "experiments". Anything to make this General look more evil than Kuvira, so that when Kuvira decides to help, we feel more sympathetic for her.
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #79 on: Apr 11, 2019 09:21 pm »

I wonder if the experiments have anything to do with spirit vines, like they are turning the vines into a sort of serum and injecting it into soldiers. I kind of wish they had done that with a Kuvira in season 4, have her use the spirit vines to augment her own bending abilities. That probably would have been a bit much though.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #80 on: Apr 12, 2019 06:55 pm »

Kuvira could have Hulk'd out and demolished Republic City without her Giant Laser Robot.

I said that to be ridiculous, but I think I like it better.

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #81 on: Apr 12, 2019 07:10 pm »

At least the art doesn't have those annoying flyaway strands of hair that Irene Koh had.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #82 on: Apr 13, 2019 05:12 pm »

Kuvira could have Hulk'd out and demolished Republic City without her Giant Laser Robot.

I said that to be ridiculous, but I think I like it better.
It would, indeed, have more magical kung fu and have a reason for the others to participate rather than what should have just been Korra getting into the giant mech and kicking Kuvira out through the impenetrable windows.
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #83 on: Apr 27, 2019 07:30 pm »

Kuvira in a civilian outfit

I guess the RC prisons allow their inmates to go shopping for new clothes.
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #84 on: Apr 27, 2019 09:47 pm »

They’re really inept though. I mean they allowed Varrick to have a luxury suite just because he donated money to them and they also left in his escape device as well. Lin really should have taken Su’s offer to move in at Zaofu, Lin shouldn’t be in charge.
Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #85 on: Apr 28, 2019 11:04 am »

Uh… is it just me, or does it look like Kuvira borrowed some of Asami’s clothes?

That outfit of hers certainly looks remarkably similar to the rejected designs for Asami’s book 4 look:
http://rebloggy.com/post/avatar-korra-legend-of-korra-lok-asami-tlok-asami-sato-korrasami-legend-of-korra/128273597516

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #86 on: Apr 28, 2019 04:07 pm »

They’re really inept though. I mean they allowed Varrick to have a luxury suite just because he donated money to them and they also left in his escape device as well. Lin really should have taken Su’s offer to move in at Zaofu, Lin shouldn’t be in charge.

Inept, or completely corrupt?

Because we know all the institutions in RC are completely corrupt.

luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #87 on: Apr 29, 2019 12:10 am »

Inept, or completely corrupt?

Because we know all the institutions in RC are completely corrupt.
I am gonna go with both.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #88 on: Apr 29, 2019 12:23 am »

Well I'm just waiting to see who has already made a civilian!Kuvira cosplay.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #89 on: Apr 30, 2019 03:04 pm »

I think Lin destroying Air Temple Island over a breakup was further proof she shouldn't be in charge.

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #90 on: Apr 30, 2019 04:39 pm »

I think Lin destroying Air Temple Island over a breakup was further proof she shouldn't be in charge.
cut her some slack. you have to look at it in perspective. she lives in a world where the majority of population has elemental magic fueled by emotion, controlled by expressive motions. imagine the day to day destruction by teenage tantrum. as a species, humans in the avatarverse have evolved to endure physical hardships many times heavier than us puny real humans can handle, with little to no injuries.

roughing up an island because your boyfriend dumps you isnt all that special...

keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2019 03:49 pm »

There's a new preview floating around tumblr that shows us a page of Kuvira's childhood.

Basically Kuvira was a brat that never responsibility for her actions. I now see three possibilities:

a) She lied about being abandoned and ran away from home.

b) Her parents did abandon her because she was a brat.

c) They're foster parents and she ran away from them.

Given how Kuvira is being portrayed in the previews, option 'a' may be the most likely answer.

luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #92 on: May 01, 2019 03:52 pm »

Plus he didn’t just dump her, he left her for a much younger woman. I think a lot of people would be upset in that situation. You’ve known someone your whole life, enter into a serious relationship and because of your family life you’re apprehensive towards the idea of being a mother out of the fear you may end up screwing up your kids lives. Instead of being able to work past the issue, a younger woman comes along and is now the one married to the one man you ever truly loved. Yeah, I’d probably break a few things as well in that situation if I were her.
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2019 05:43 pm »

Plus he didn’t just dump her, he left her for a much younger woman. I think a lot of people would be upset in that situation. You’ve known someone your whole life, enter into a serious relationship and because of your family life you’re apprehensive towards the idea of being a mother out of the fear you may end up screwing up your kids lives. Instead of being able to work past the issue, a younger woman comes along and is now the one married to the one man you ever truly loved. Yeah, I’d probably break a few things as well in that situation if I were her.
Then the fault lies on both Tenzin and Lin. If they had stated what they wanted out of a relationship much earlier, they probably would never have become a thing. There really isn't much to work around when one party wants kids and the other doesn't.
I see why Lin would want to destroy something, but destroying a man's home for that reason can't be justified.

roughing up an island because your boyfriend dumps you isn't all that special...
I'd be inclined to believe that if Korra hadn't been arrested for something more minor than that despite having a much more legit reason to do so.

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2019 08:01 pm »

Let's get back on topic to discuss about the comic instead of the Linzin break up.

Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2019 11:28 pm »

So a lot of preview pages came up on tumblr (you might as well consider half of the comic being released) I won't spoil too much but I will say that Kuvira does not get any sympathy in this comic. It sounds like most of her decisions before she went dictator  were all on her and she has to learn to take personal responsibility for it.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019 11:38 pm by Fire Rose » Logged
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2019 12:01 am »

Yeah, Kuvira was all like, “You see Avatar Korra, true evil is born from pain and loss. When I was little I had a favorite toy train, and then one day I lost it.”

Korra: “...?”  Huh

Kuvira: “What? Not good enough for you?! Well forgive me Ms. High Expectations!”
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019 03:43 pm by Colonel_Brian » Logged
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2019 08:50 am »

Kuvira's attitude reminds me of Raven Branwen from RWBY. Like Kuvira, Raven brought up good points on how screwed up the world she lives in is but at the same time she makes excuses to justify her selfish and cowardly actions. Kuvira is no coward but she too blames others for her actions to avoid admitting to herself that she hasn't been a good person in a long time.
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #98 on: May 04, 2019 02:11 pm »

A Spoiler-free review on Ruins of Empire part 1 has come out.

So according the reviewer here are the pros and cons.

Pros

-It's better than Turf Wars.

-The setup for Kuvira's story arc is good. As we learned in the previews Kuvira doesn't understand that she needs take responsibility for her actions instead claiming that 'she's changed'. Perhaps she has changed in some way but we'll have to wait and see what this change is.

-The Krew have different views on how to deal with Kuvira but it's not enough for any of them to say "I'm out of here."

-Seeing Korra work with politics instead of being against them is a nice change of pace. Of course this is only because Zhu-Li is president (Zhu-Li 2019: She'll do the thing) and Wu is Wu.

-Guan, the antagonist of story, proves to be smarter than he looks and he makes a good foil to Kuvira.

Cons

Bolin has changed jobs again (he is now Zhu-Li's assistant). Mako has commented on him having commitment issues.

Asami is underdeveloped (no shock here.). Her character has always been tied to her dad and company but she really needs to break free from that.

It looks like this story is off to a good start.
mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2019 09:05 am »

Wow, hard to believe release is only 8 days away.  Looking forward to this more than Turf Wars simply based on the premise alone.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: