Dec 08, 2019 11:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New LOK Comic - Ruins of the Empire  (Read 10488 times)
Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #50 on: Nov 02, 2018 08:09 pm »

What is Suyin's attitude to the world anyway, we are better than you but we don't need to teach you our ways, we are better off alone?

I'm not sure what Suyin's ideals are. In season 3 she is all about new ideas, and in season 4 she wants new things but doesn't seem to want herself or anyone close to her to do the work. I would say that is a product of Toph never letting her feel the full consequences of her mistakes from her childhood.
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #51 on: Feb 17, 2019 09:45 pm »

Synopsis for Part 2 is up.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/610659/the-legend-of-korra-ruins-of-the-empire-part-two-by-written-by-michael-dante-dimartino-illustrated-by-michelle-wong-colored-by-vivian-ng/9781506708959/

mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #52 on: Feb 27, 2019 01:15 pm »

^ From that summary...

"Korra and Kuvira convince an old friend to return and take the former commander on in the polls. But will it be enough?". It sounds like it has to be someone who is a friend to both Kuvira and Korra? Toph and Su Yin are out. Can't think of anyone else.

From Part 1's summary, it mentions the Krew having different opinions about what to do with Kuvira and the Earth Kingdom. I'd like to think it creates some genuine friction, but knowing LoK's history, I doubt it. Plus, weren't Korra and Asami disagreeing on some stuff in Turf Wars? So I just seem those two agreeing, while Mako and Bolin are on the opposite side. With that being said, Mako's Book 4 "I will always have your back" line would imply that he trusts Korra's judgment regardless similar to Tenzin.
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #53 on: Feb 27, 2019 09:17 pm »

^The ones I can see not trusting Korra's judgement with Kuvira would be.....

1. Su for obvious reasons. The reason she got captured and lost Zaofu was because she didn't have the patience or trust in Korra to even try to negotiate with Kuvira. To Kuvira's credit, at least she kept her word on not making a move against Zaofu until Su made the first move.

2. Bolin due experiencing Kuvira's tyranny first hand. That and the fact that siding with her almost cost him his relationship with Opal.

3. Asami because of her father dying. I understand no relationship is perfect but it sounds like Asami and Korra are always at odds  with each other if they had issues in Turf Wars. I haven't read it myself but is there ever a moment where Asami trusts Korra even if she disagrees with her?

Seeing how this is three part story it's likely that it will end with them being open to the idea that Kuvira can be redeemed should she choose to embrace her second chance.
« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2019 09:31 pm by Fire Rose » Logged
mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #54 on: Feb 28, 2019 05:15 pm »

I totally forgot Kuvira smashed Asami's dad like a fly. Oof. I better not see Asami being okay with Kuvira then. Bolin makes sense. I guess that leaves Mako as either neutral or siding with Korra. Would be interesting to see him also have some genuine conflict with Bolin that isn't "I don't have time for you" and Bolin being a Mover star.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #55 on: Feb 28, 2019 06:58 pm »

I really hope that Korra didn't realize up until this volume that Asami's dad is dead.

Korra's complete lack of a reaction to Asami losing her father is one of the most egregious parts of a shaky build-up to Korrasami. It'd be nice if we could retcon it for her missing, in the heat of the battle, that Hiroshi bought it.

mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #56 on: Mar 02, 2019 11:58 am »

I really hope that Korra didn't realize up until this volume that Asami's dad is dead.

Korra's complete lack of a reaction to Asami losing her father is one of the most egregious parts of a shaky build-up to Korrasami. It'd be nice if we could retcon it for her missing, in the heat of the battle, that Hiroshi bought it.

I want to say in the first part of Turf Wars, Asami or Korra mentions that during their vacation...okay I just checked and nope. Wonder if I am just mis-remembering things. Too lazy to check the whole volume to see if there's any mention.

Also, just realized Mako no longer has a sling in the Part 1 cover for Ruins of Empire. I recall in Part 3 of Turf Wars, he wasn't doing so well with it...despite reducing the impact of that bomb at the end of Part 2. Here's what he had to say about his arm in Part 3.

Korra: Is your arm feeling any better?
Mako: Not really. I've been seeing Kya for treatments, but still can't Firebend with it.

Not trying to look too much into it, but "Not really" would imply very little progress has been made since they fought Kuvira. Combined with the spirit vacation, I would say it's been...6-8 weeks now? So either there was a break through, or some more time has passed since Turf Wars to the point Mako has healed. Or, Asami built him a robo-arm, which I'm all for.

Finally, I'm digging the art style more for these title covers than I did for Turf Wars. Not dissing Irene Koh or anything, but I find these more appealing. We'll see how the art looks like within the pages once the comic comes out.
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2019 12:05 pm by mmoon24 » Logged
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #57 on: Mar 03, 2019 11:06 am »

What is Suyin's attitude to the world anyway, we are better than you but we don't need to teach you our ways, we are better off alone?

I'm not sure what Suyin's ideals are. In season 3 she is all about new ideas, and in season 4 she wants new things but doesn't seem to want herself or anyone close to her to do the work. I would say that is a product of Toph never letting her feel the full consequences of her mistakes from her childhood.

Su's hypocrisy in Book 4 and her overall treatment towards Kuvira does make me wonder if she knows deep down that she failed Kuvira as a leader and mentor but is too stubborn to admit it (a Beifong trait) because it would mean dealing with the consequences, something that she rarely got as a kid due to Toph's lack of parenting. Getting kicked out of RC is a punishment but looking back on it Toph could've at least make her do community service before shipping her off to live with her grandparents.

Zaofu is a city that encourages its citizens to be innovative and give people second chances (Varrick) but when EK needed help after the Earth Queen's death, Su turned her back on them. Even if she didn't want to be put in charge like Raiko and Tenzin wanted she could've offered aid to towns who were less fortunate another way. From Kuvira's perspective, Su betrayed the ideals that Kuvira was raised to believe in so she set off her own (I believe some citizens left to join her so it wasn't just Kuvira who felt that way). Su also felt betrayed by Kuvira and as some have pointed out Su can turn ugly when she feels personally attacked, which Kuvira did figuratively and literally.

It may not happen but I do hope that Kuvira or Korra point out to Su didn't handle the EK crisis as well she thinks she did. By choosing not to help in a time of crisis Su became part of the problem that Kuvira was fighting against. If Su and others like her had tried to help the EK instead of having someone else do all the work then Kuvira's rise to power could've been avoided. The story doesn't have to end with Su forgiving Kuvira but it should have Su learn to accept that in that moment, she messed up.
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2019 11:17 am by Fire Rose » Logged
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #58 on: Mar 03, 2019 07:12 pm »

I still say Su is the best villain in all of LoK.

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #59 on: Mar 05, 2019 06:01 pm »

Nah, Tonraq was better.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Urmom666
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #60 on: Mar 05, 2019 10:55 pm »

Nah, Tonraq was better.

Wrong. Meelo is undoubtedly the true villain of the entire franchise.
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #61 on: Mar 10, 2019 04:18 pm »

So the illustrator has posted new images for part 2 on her twitter (you'll have to scroll down a bit).

It looks like we're going to see a not-so-happy Asami and a flashback on Kuvira's childhood.

Urmom666
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #62 on: Mar 10, 2019 04:31 pm »

a flashback on Kuvira's childhood.

Hoo-boy, this ought to be interesting
Lordmistery
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #63 on: Mar 11, 2019 01:12 pm »

As I am personally a fan of a monarchy I was really saddened by the decision of Prince Wu, also because he was really growing into the role as king as season 4 developed. At least there is still the firenation who is a monarchy, hopefully they wont change that.

Very excited for the new Korra comics!

"There really is no fathoming the depths of my hatred for this place."
- Mai in Return to Omashu
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #64 on: Mar 11, 2019 03:44 pm »

I really hope that this is pushed in the comics, https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FreudianExcuseIsNoExcuse. The having a terrible childhood/parents should not be used to excuse or understand someone’s behavior. Everyone’s actions are their own. I also don’t like the idea of them abolishing the monarchy, why not create a constitutional monarchy instead of immediately upending the entire system? The problem with the Earth Kingdom was that they never truly were united. The rulers would sit in their palaces and never really venture out. Kuei apparently tried to rectify that, but then his daughter ended up reverting her kingdom to the old ways. I really would have loved it if Kuvira has just been an anti-hero, instead of the warmongering tyrant she became.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #65 on: Mar 11, 2019 05:57 pm »

...also because he was really growing into the role as king as season 4 developed.

Was he? I admit I've only seen Book Balance once, but as I recall, his journey was from becoming a complete waste of carbon to something almost resembling a functional adult human. There's a few more steps between that and kingship.

I really hope that this is pushed in the comics, https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FreudianExcuseIsNoExcuse. The having a terrible childhood/parents should not be used to excuse or understand someone’s behavior. Everyone’s actions are their own.

It's fine, Kuvira actually had a really good childhood, being adopted by the Tyrant of the most advanced city-state in the world and growing up surrounded by love and wealth.

If anything, she just goes to show that you can have a great childhood and still grow up to be a monster who uses starving children as pawns in a gambit for empire-spanning power. She proved that a person can start her career hoping to bring peace and safety to the world, but still wind up needing to a conquer a new province each day just to be able to muster up some friskiness for her fiance each night.

Aerial
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #66 on: Mar 11, 2019 07:17 pm »

The having a terrible childhood/parents should not be used to excuse or understand someone’s behavior.

Yeah, when it comes to stories that lean heavily on politics (as is the case with LoK) it feels very cheap. Political extemists don't develop their way of thinking because of childhood trauma, it just doesn't work that way in real life.

However, I don't really have a problem with that trope when the story doesn't revolve around politics. It definitely shouldn't be used to excuse a character's behaviour, but if it's used to get a better understanding of how they came to be, I think it's fine.

ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #67 on: Mar 12, 2019 12:22 pm »

...also because he was really growing into the role as king as season 4 developed.

Was he? I admit I've only seen Book Balance once, but as I recall, his journey was from becoming a complete waste of carbon to something almost resembling a functional adult human. There's a few more steps between that and kingship.
He gave a speech that I thought they would have had Korra give to show her development. Along with Wu's singing which shows that badgermoles are not just blind but also have mixed taste in music.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #68 on: Mar 12, 2019 06:30 pm »

I don't remember the speech (tho' I'll take your word for it), and I'm not sure what dancing with Badgermoles has to do with ruling a continent, but what the heck, that all makes him better than Raiko. Wu can be king.

luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #69 on: Mar 15, 2019 12:21 pm »

They never ONCE showed Wu or anyone else for that matter bring up the idea of turning the Earth Kingdom into a democracy. His idea of having all of the states be independent is just woefully misguided and naive. The Earth Kingdom is weak when broken apart, both series have shown us that.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #70 on: Mar 17, 2019 03:00 pm »

If anything, she just goes to show that you can have a great childhood and still grow up to be a monster who uses starving children as pawns in a gambit for empire-spanning power. She proved that a person can start her career hoping to bring peace and safety to the world, but still wind up needing to a conquer a new province each day just to be able to muster up some friskiness for her fiance each night.

I'm fairly sure that Kuvira had a Dark and Tragic Childhood before the whole adoption-by-Suyin thing. Suyin even reflects on it in Season 4 if I recall it correctly.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #71 on: Mar 18, 2019 06:09 pm »

I don't think that's incompatible with what I said. Although I don't recall anything about the matter except that Kuvira considered herself abandoned by her parents.

Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #72 on: Mar 27, 2019 05:37 pm »

We don't know how dark her backstory is but she was definitely abandoned given how her actions revolve around someone 'leaving' her. Su abandoned her when the EK needed help after the Queen was assassinated. Korra abandoned the world when she was going through an existential crisis. Varrick and Bolin abandoned her when they started having second thoughts. Zhu Li abandoned her when Zhu Li dared to sabotage her. Her fiancé abandoned her when he decided to call it quits after being threatened by Korra.

The woman has issues with being abandoned. I now wonder if we're going to see the how and the why her parents left her in the comics.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #73 on: Mar 27, 2019 06:55 pm »

Looking at that list, in all probability it was because she was murdering the other village kids. Poor Kuvira keeps getting abandoned for being a monster. The only exceptions are Su (who is a bigger monster than Kuvira) and Korra. Korra is younger than Kuvira and injured right in front of her, so if Kuvira took the Avatar's sabbatical so hard, maybe she started off with some major issues already.

Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #74 on: Mar 28, 2019 07:47 am »

The woman has issues with being abandoned. I now wonder if we're going to see the how and the why her parents left her in the comics.

seriously again with the bad parent thing?
I bet her dad's name was A Firebender

keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: